Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marriage is …

… mostly an unspoken, passive aggressive battle over dirty dishes.

Your turn.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2022 11:50 PM

Correct

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 6:19 PM

insurance that someone would take care of you in old age

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 6:23 PM

A life sentence.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 6:28 PM

An economic advantage.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 6:30 PM

Co-mingling of money

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 6:31 PM

A lifelong relationship that requires a lot of patience, allowing both persons to grow and change, and accepting that everything is not always going to be perfect, your way or even "good" at times.

You have good times and bad times. It's a partnership. You weather storms together and laugh, cry and love together. Otherwise, what's the point.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 6:31 PM

A way for governments to make sure the workforce stays focused on work instead of constantly looking for sex

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 6:35 PM

unnatural in apes, including humans

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 6:35 PM

The kiss of death for one's sex life

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 6:35 PM

A fat boor.

- Mayor Pete

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 6:35 PM

For lesbians...

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 6:36 PM

For Old Folks

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 6:37 PM

What OP used to post before bitterness and disillusionment set in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 6:41 PM

Prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 6:44 PM

A good way to get a new washer and dryer.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 6:48 PM

Love and companionship for life.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 6:49 PM

Risky. Your spouse probably won't murder you, but they might.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 6:50 PM

Caftans.

Earrings.

- Liz Taylor

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 7:09 PM

Horse and carriage.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 7:12 PM

For children and property.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 7:24 PM

OP = Erma Bombeck

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 7:26 PM

It's a legal contract. Nothing more. Done in olden times to protect wealth and assets. Frau broads and yaaaas queens invented this whole It's my princess day bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 7:37 PM

Sponsored by Hyundai.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 7:38 PM

For getting laid while fat.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 7:43 PM

What is marriage?

"Nate Ford," Tim Hutton's character in [italic]Leverage[/italic] said it perfectly:

[quote]I mean, what is marriage? I mean, is it running around rooftops in Paris?

[quote]I don't think so. No. It's pushing a cart around the Home Depot.

[quote]It's pushing a cart around Home Depot. That's what it is, it's hard work. Hard, hard, hard, hard work, people.

[quote]I-I mean, you know, some people don't understand how hard a real relationship can be.

[quote]But... but luckily, luckily, luckily, Adam and Maria, they don't have such problems. No, because, you know, Maria, despite all the fear and doubt that life brings, Adam, when he looks at you, Maria, you know, he knows that you have made him a better man, a better version of himself.

[quote]And now that he's known you, he can never go back. And, Maria, you know that, when you look at Adam, yes, you know you've made him a better man and that he should probably just give up and agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 9:45 PM

Stifling and trifling!

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 9:47 PM

To be avoided at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 9:47 PM

Immediately changes the dynamic of the relationship. DON’T do it bless there is a huge financial incentive.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 9:52 PM

The foundation of family law and the reason that many attorneys who practice it enjoy vacations to far-flung places, purchase luxury automobiles, and live in very fine homes which may or may not need to be accessed by automatic gates and which offer luscious views of a city, although some prefer a more rural setting so that their horses and small vineyards can thrive.

Get a pre-nup, kids! Amber Heard began her divorce litigation with a spousal support demand of $50,000 a MONTH.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 10:20 PM

Marriage was invented so that men with property could ensure that the sons who inherited their property were actually theirs.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 10:43 PM

Complicity.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 10:45 PM

... incompatible with parenthood.

You can either build a loving, accepting, and passionate relationship over time, or you can partner up to raise children. You can't do both at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 10:48 PM

…for others.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 10:50 PM

A contract.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 10:52 PM

Let's be honest, here.

At my previous job, being married elevated your status. Having a child or two (but not too many) kicked you up a notch, as well.

There was a scene on "The Departed" where the Alec Baldwin character summed it up to the Matt Damon (?) character: "You gotta get married [to a woman] so that everybody knows you're not a fag; then you gotta have a kid so that everybody knows your dick works," etc.

Are married people actually happier? Maybe not, but there are social advantages.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 11:00 PM

The best thing that ever happened to me!

I was never really interested in getting married, probably because it was an institution out of reach to me for the first 50 years of my life. I met the best guy in the world and have never been happier. I hope he’s even half as happy in our marriage as I am; he does tell me every day that he loves me!

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 11:10 PM

Between one man and one woman.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 11:23 PM

A scam

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 11:56 PM

The last and often unnecessary step in the formal progression of a satisfying primary relationship.

After all, many successful unions do not require a legal contract to promote their value.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2022 12:04 AM

I'd like a millionaire husband with a house across the street.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2022 12:10 AM

A lot of married couples are trapped and putting on a public front

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 12:23 AM

I never understand why people say marriages are hard work. I’m married and it’s easy. I love him, he loves me, we watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 12:32 AM

....DEAD TO ME!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 1:38 AM

For Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 1:40 AM

The death knell for a relationship. Feeling bound legally and financially creates a sense of being trapped that eliminates any sense of freedom.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 1:47 AM

Marriage is a contract. It's a way of specifying how property is distributed after death. That's all. If someone thinks it's anything more than that, they're insane. Crazy. Religous = crazy and fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 3:04 AM

The pot is calling the kettle beige at R46.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2022 6:40 AM

Rape-as-practice.

The only worthy partner bond is a handfasting, between two women, performed illegally on sacred land and with no ritual references made to a male or masculine deity.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2022 2:13 PM

A useful capitalist strategy of convincing people that their problems and unhappiness are not primarily due to gross inequality, dehumanizing jobs, lack of access to medical care, stagnant wages, inferior education, few to no mental health resources, economic and food insecurity, discrimination, but rather that the real issue is your spouse and his inability to meet all your needs.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2022 4:22 PM

.....big business! Dating, engagement rings, weddings, receptions, honeymoons, homes, children, keeping up with the Jones', divorce!

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2022 9:26 PM

...I've done it three or four times!

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2022 9:27 PM

As a straight, divorced, male co-worker said to me, "Marriage is buying a house for someone you don't really like."

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2022 9:34 PM

Catchy!!! :)

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2022 1:58 AM

.....health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2022 2:18 AM

Marriage was the culmination of a relationship that had seen 38 years by that point. Many years prior we had our lawyer draw up all sorts of legal documents protecting us, and each other, as far as it was possible tp do so before marriage was an option. Once married, we were SUPER DUPER protected, nothing wrong with that.

We still felt the same about each other, there was no earth-shattering change and I would've been surprised if there had been. We married on a Wednesday, and quick like a bunny we had to get my newly-minted husband back to his dialysis clinic in Philly, and I had to go to work. The next night we hosted some friends at our favorite restaurant, it was one of the few nuptial "standards" we decided on, plus being married by a judge and getting wedding bands.

I lost him five years later when his heart did him in after a dozen years on dialysis. I have his wedding band which I'll wear occasionally along with my own, I still sleep on 'my side' of the bed, and I'll occasionally re-read the memory book I'd complied for his 50th birthday celebration(not that I needed testimonials from anyone to remind me that I had found the best man on the planet)

Was marriage vital to our relationship? Not really. If it had never become an option we would've been fine without it, because we knew that being together was the important factor, and was always foremost in our life together.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2022 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!