Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Radical Reality Resets in Your Lifetime

What paradigm-resetting events have happened in your lifetime?

Some from my childhood vs. now:

1. Presidents can be insane and acutely dangerous.

2. The whole country can actually stop operating for 18+ months at a time due to a contagious disease and then pick up and start chugging along again.

3. The United States can actually fall apart like Rome did.

4. Psychedelics are medicine, not killer poisons that melt brains.

5. AIDS won't always be a deadly consequence of gay sex.

6. Medical science can take a person's heart out, clean the pipes and replace the heart and the patient will be up walking around six hours later...and medical science still fails at a hell of a lot of shit, and most doctors really don't know as much as they seem to know.

7. Average British people are not so fancy or better educated than Americans are and their government can be as dumb as ours.

8. Finnish people are among the happiest in the world instead of the most suicidal.

I'm still adjusting to all these reality resets. I was born in 1978.

Can you think of any other ones?

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 1:30 AM

[quote] 1. Presidents can be insane and acutely dangerous.

That’s exactly how most of us felt about Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 12:49 AM

In 1975, Russians were in thrall to a toxic, murderous ideology…

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 12:52 AM

R1 I was a kid and I had no idea. I learned quickly that presidents can get their dicks sucked and presidents can be total morons (dubya) but I didn't know they could be like comic book supervillains come to life.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 12:56 AM

You made me pull out the soap box.

1. You do not possess magically clean body powers. Clean people are clean because they wash regularly. You were supposed to embrace this when we were young. Now, you spout natural immunity while looking like used gum.

2. Coworkers would walk out of the bathroom and offer their newspapers to anyone wishing to read. Now, it’s coworkers scrolling on their phone as they leave the bathroom. The newsprint avec poop spume was bad enough, but now morons rub their phones against their faces and then set them down on my desk. Bob, you weren’t a handwasher in the 90s; Meghen, I never hear the tap running. Nasty.

3. This government has made existing without equity a crime. You can now be jailed for being homeless.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 1:22 AM

"Trans women are women"

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 1:26 AM

[quote]"Trans women are women"

Homophobia has morphed into some new beast.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!