Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Right-winger calls bail reform "woke" and asks for data on it

Turns out it doesn't lead to more crime after all

Another conservative myth shattered

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2022 10:55 PM

Patch.com Sure! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 11:28 PM

Let me REPHRASE this shit post.

Left wing "journal" disagrees with right wing pol.

DIDN'T FUCKING SEE THAT COMING!

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 11:30 PM

Catch Release Repeat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 11:31 PM

Mayor Adams was the law-and-order candidate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 11:32 PM

The system must be at fault

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 11:35 PM

The wild wild West Village. Rising crime hurting businesses

"Criminals are becoming 'fearless' and strike again even if they have been previously arrested"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 11:46 PM

[quote]Of the 2,641 people arrested and released without bail from April 1 to June 30, 195 were re-arrested, police data showed. That's a recidivism rate of 7 percent

Or, said another way, that's at least 195 crime victims who didn't need to be victims, assuming the criminals only committed one crime each which, let's be honest, is unlikely if they got re-arrested.

Unfortunately, alpha error is usually more catastrophic than beta error in these types of situations.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 12:01 AM

Bail reform is one thing. The Bail Project is quite another… Bail reform = needed in a balanced and thoughtful manner The Bail Project = pays for violent felons to get out of pre-trial jail detention and then takes no responsibility for any further crimes they commit

You all can decide what to support

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 12:20 AM

Joe Biden and the Dems' America

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 12:25 AM

This thread is very handy for F&Fing random right wing trolls who drop by.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 12:28 AM

R10 Yeah, citing actual crime statistics and how numbers are increasing and how people are pissed off about it is "trolling".

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 12:44 AM

The 1% speak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 1:49 AM

My office in New York City has been on remote since December of 2021 originally due to Omicron. Previous to that we had been on a hybrid schedule but no one particularly those who rely on the subway to get to work want to return because it's not safe. And small businesses are losing because many of those businesses relied on commuters and that also includes parking garages and the MTA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 1:53 AM

The infamous Duck Sauce Killer who killed a food delivery man for not bringing enough duck sauce was released on bail which understandably made the restaurant owner feel very unsafe. The killer eventually committed suicide but how did he ever get out on bail after he sought out the victim and shot him. It was planned and premeditated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 2:06 AM

Bail reform needs to be reformed. Shoplifters should not be out on the street after they’ve been arrested multiple times. Also certain quality of life crimes should be enforced.,

I guess that makes me a fascist. Also people need to pay some attention to the 11,000 murders of black Americans killed yearly usually by other blacks and not focus all their attention on 4-5 unarmed black men killed by cops which is the average number per year in the US. That’s not to excise cops but just acknowledge the real problem for a change.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 2:15 AM

The higher rate of crime currently (still among the lowest in NY history) is due to poverty, not to bail reform.

The point of bail reform is to stop holding poor people in jail because they can’t make bail

How can we keep someone not convicted of a crime in jail?

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 2:19 AM

If someone has been arrested 20 plus times, I’d think ,it’s ok to require bail to keep them off the street The people who commit crimes primarily victimize other poor people. So it hurts the entire community when they are free to continue acts of criminality.

It’s not just poverty because most poor people don’t commit crimes. It’s more complicated than that.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 2:31 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 6:18 AM

R17 nobody said most poor people commit crimes dickhead. It’s that poverty places you in a position where you’re more likely to commit crime, because of the state of desperation you’re kept in.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 7:14 AM

Not concerned with the fact that it was worse years ago as it is more brazen and random than ever. Alan Arkin's1971 film version of Jules Feiffer's Little Murders seems prescient

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 5:02 PM

The new normal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 5:11 PM

Not welcoming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 5:12 PM

It's escalating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 5:14 PM

Go woke, go broke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 5:25 PM

and in the Big Apple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 5:30 PM

Even migrants fear NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 5:34 PM

Bail reform?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 5:38 PM

Back to the future via bail reform

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 5:42 PM

I blocked three troll posters and 70% of this thread disappeared.

They tossed their cookies, too. I guess they're back on Gab and Truth Social doxxing FBI agents.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 6:52 PM

Case in point. Both posts from the same poster.

[quote] Joe Biden and the Dems' America

[quote] R10 Yeah, citing actual crime statistics and how numbers are increasing and how people are pissed off about it is "trolling".

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 6:55 PM

Bail reform depends entirely on what you have to replace it.

DC got rid of money bonds in 1990. But we had in place a very strict and structured pre-trial agency that closely monitored released defendants. The defendants had to be regualrly drug tested if they tested positive on arrest or had a history of substance abuse, they had to stay away from people and/or places. they had to participate in cetain programs like drug programs, they had to meet weekly with pre-trial officers or at least call in regularly, sometimes they wore an ankle bracelet, etc.

If they violated any conditions of release they were called before their judge and had a hearing to see if they should be revoked and held in jail until their case was resolved.

Besides violations of release, if they got rearrested, they could be revoked and held in jail on the release charge.

The new Bail Reform Statute (1990) allowed for certain defendants to be held before trial if their crime was violent or dangerous or they were a risk of flight. They got an evidentiary hearing to decide that. Almost all murders or other serious violent crimes got someone held without bond pending trial - or at least put in a half-way house.

DC's pretrial system was very effective for ensuring people showed up for court as well as eliminating re-arrests - though some people just keep committing crimes no matter what. Those people usually sat their asses in jail until they resolved all their cases and got sentenced.

The federal pretrial system is similar to the DC local one. The problem seems to be these states do not have strong pretrial statutes or systems/agencies to properly monitor released defendants awaiting trial. Plus you have to be able to revoke any release conditions if the defendant refuses to obey them - like he keeps getting arrested or bothering witnesses. You cannot do away with one system until you have something that works to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 7:10 PM

This a bizarre thread, even by DL standards. People are cheering for criminals to be released and to be allowed to commit more crimes. Even one is too many, so referring to a recidivism rate is absurd. How can any sane person be against a requirement for bail?

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 7:19 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 8:02 PM

Difficult to believe R33 It sounds as crazy as the perpetrator. Here's a lawyer who fought back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 9:20 PM

Girlfriend won't be charged for stabbing bodega worker. She was defending her thug boyfriend who was attacking the worker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 9:37 PM

Didn't Adams run on being the law-and-order candidate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 10:33 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 10:41 PM

I can't believe they let that maniac out again.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 11:41 PM

I know this isn't on topic but the first thing I noticed in OP's picture was the missing wedding ring on the left hand, just a big white band mark.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2022 12:43 AM

R37 so now this man is walking among us? Criminals feel empowered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2022 3:55 AM

[quote] Two brazen thieves on motorcycles robbed a group of people dining outside a fashionable Queens cafe — which is located across the street from the office of Councilmember Tiffany Cabán, a major supporter of defunding the NYPD, cops and witnesses said.

"fashionable Queens cafe"

PerdĂłname?

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 4:35 AM

Adams is a worthless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 4:36 AM

According to the Biden administration the biggest problem facing the country is white supremists, completely ignoring what our eyes see going on every day.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 5:16 AM

^^^ HERESY!!!!!, r43!!!

How DARE you believe your OWN EYES!!!

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 5:19 AM

No consequences

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 5:32 AM

Would Patch.com lie? lol

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 5:44 AM

And liberals wonder why Americans are still voting Republican. lol. People don’t want their cities burned to ground and looted. Keep on going with the Defund the Police, stealing is okay (Cynthia Nixon) bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2022 5:47 AM

Disturbing details in the LA Times report

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2022 5:49 AM

R43 Love the part where Joe talks about the 'little tyke' George Floyd's daughter-"My daddy changed the world"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2022 6:47 AM

"My daddy changed the world"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2022 7:51 AM

Woke doesn't work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2022 3:52 PM

We’re gonna see white flight again pretty soon with blacks left in nothing but abandoned ghettos. Places can’t even have a pharmacy or supermarket thanks to these animals.

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2022 8:36 PM

Who would have thunk it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2022 4:06 AM

good news

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2022 4:30 AM

seven in 10 released in CA zero bail push . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2022 1:18 AM

Oh, is this the daily thread where we're supposed to hate on big blue cities?

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2022 1:20 AM

California is a state R56 not a city

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2022 1:35 AM

[quote] Oh, is this the daily thread where we're supposed to hate on big blue cities?

All of these victims who have been mentioned and the many more who will suffer as victims in the future and that’s what you’re worried about,

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2022 2:26 AM

Assaults caught on camera fuel bail reform debate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2022 6:20 AM

When you click the link at R59 also check out the yacht sinking off the Italian coast.

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2022 2:27 PM

^ All those white supremacists causing such havoc!

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2022 3:17 PM

Bail reform is a good idea.

White supremacy aka terrorism is a big problem.

I’d rather be woke than asleep.

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2022 3:25 PM

All these victims and future victims would rather be alive/not in coma/not maimed/not disabled/not permanently damaged than woke.

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote]White supremacy aka terrorism is a big problem.

The terrorists in American cities are not white men.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2022 4:43 PM

R62 any links to the latest crimes committed by white supremists?

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2022 8:36 PM

Another thug ass punk strikes again. Probably was out on bail. I mean...c'mon...it's not that far of a stretch to assume so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2022 11:53 PM

Skull fracture victim's wife calls for justice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2022 1:52 AM

He got 5 years. He had 44 prior arrests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2022 2:41 AM

I am very lenient on sentencing until it comes to violence. Then I think that the linger you can keep someone away from society the better it is for society.

People who are deliberately violent are beyond hope. Not sure that kind of mind can ever be properly rehabbed.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2022 2:58 AM

First it was Walgreens . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 26, 2022 5:56 AM

The system is not flawed; it's broken

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 26, 2022 6:25 AM

the system benefits criminals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 26, 2022 7:21 AM

I’ve become glad to see NYC stores looted. It’s the stores’ bad choices to be located there that has put them in the predicament. If they sell high-end goods, their clientele can afford to travel somewhere outside of NYC that’s safe and buy the goods there.

by Anonymousreply 73August 26, 2022 4:40 PM

he and we and she would be better off if he were in jail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2022 7:31 AM

released without bail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2022 2:12 AM

a slap on the wrist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2022 7:41 PM

Ruined Leon must be a right winger, I guess. Or maybe he's just a normal guy who sees through the far-left BS being spewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2022 5:00 AM

"A vicious psych-al"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2022 8:36 AM

Any bail statute that doesn't allow for the discretion of the judge in setting pretrial conditions that doesn't allow for preventive detention under some circumstances or combination thereof is a failure and threat to community safety.

Factors that have to be considered in pretrial release decisions:

1) refusal or inability to obey Court orders re: stay aways from victims, witnesses & places, fails to return to court or report to their court supervising officers, refraining from rearrests, substance abuse, mental health issues

2) dangerousness of the crime and strength of government case: a hearing would determine this at which evidence is presented like videos of the crime, etc.

3) risk of flight

4) probable cause that crime was committed while out on probation, parole or with another pending case due for trial or sentencing.

We can do all these things in my jurisdiction. When someone out on pretrial release is rearrested even if the new crime is release eligible, the judge the defendant is before on older pending case can and often does revoke that earlier bond for violating conditions of release.

There are many ways to deal with defendants pre-trial that are less than total preventive detention: ankle monitors, halfway houses, more intensive monitoring and checking in with court supervision, substance abuse programs (both inpatient and outpatient). There are escalating conditions of release that can be imposed.

New York State's bail statute seems utterly useless.

I say this all with an understanding that during the pandemic judges, even where I am, tried to release as many defendants pretrial as they could safely do. But still some defense attorneys' pleas for release were denied with certain defendants and certain criminal histories.

I just shake my head at the people who have come to be in positions of power in the criminal justice system. It's like they truly just fell off a turnip truck and know nothing about human nature or how the past more than not predicts the future.

I recently read my city's (D.C.) recent recommendations by a commission of Pollyanna criminal justice "advocates" that is mind-blowingly laughable. It reads like a parody of do-gooders who have not a clue how to police or prevent crime. Their first recommendation was to cut the police force in half. LMAO. No rationale or analysis of why this would be workable or what sections of the force to cut and why. Just slash it in half. Luckily that got watered down before the final report was published. Maybe they should have left that in to show how utterly idiotic their study is.

This commission also recommended raising the age before a defendant could be charged as an adult from 18 to 21. Riight. Cause 20 year old murders and car jackers are too young to know what they're doing or right from wrong. The report is full of these nonsensical suggestions.

Though she appointed these idiots, the mayor for the most part is quietly ignoring it.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2022 5:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2022 5:44 PM

Want to try again, OP?

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2022 5:50 PM

R80, it just keeps getting worse.

These are existential issues. if we can't solve this NOW then we face a dim future and not much else matters. Who cares what the minimum wage is if you can't live long enough to spend it. Or if the cost of living safely becomes out of reach due to the costs of crimes.

If you have to take a taxi or uber home every day to stay alive, then watch your salary's real worth diminish quickly.

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2022 5:57 PM

From the article at R80

"The suspect, who fled after the deadly shooting, is described as a heavyset black man who wore all black clothing and a mask."

"“You have these people killing one another. They kill somebody and the system lets them back out. They are right back on the streets and they do the same s–t again. It’s crazy.”'

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2022 6:02 PM

hauntingly familiar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2022 7:42 AM

Subways are the worse.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2022 10:54 PM

It’s not woke, it’s insane.

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2022 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!