Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could We Have A Serious & Intellectual Discussion About... HITLER?

First, I've fallen in love with the Historian Dan Snow! I know that it is wrong because he is straight, married, and has children. BUT, look at that BULGE in those pants!!!

Now, that that's out of the way...

There are very interesting and relatively recent documentaries about Hitler. Here are some highlights;

-He was a straight-up, 100%, junkie! His doctor (Dr Morrell) kept him fully drugged during the last years of his life.

-Hitler only had 5 natural teeth by the time of his death

-The United Kingdom stopped plotting an assassination of Hitler because it thought that Dr. Morrell had to be a double-agent who was doing a fantastic job in killing Hitler because of all of the drugs he was injecting him with.

-The one ball story isn't true but the very small... well, "Johnson" seems to be true

On and on. I thought this interesting history and the history of Germany at that time. I've always LOVED the Romanov threads and so I thought I'd give this a try.

So! Let's discuss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 19, 2023 10:16 PM

I always thought the idiots who believed Hitler had escaped Germany as was living a secret life in Argentina or Brazil were fools.

If anybody thought Joseph Stalin and the NKGB were going to let Hitler live the life of a gentleman farmer. they didn't know jack shit about Stalin or the NKGB or their combined treachery.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 9:01 PM

Bowler. Hitler loved to bowl. He didn't want people to know. He didn't want to be the patron saint of bowling throughout his evil empire. Why are you laughing?

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 9:40 PM

You can't be serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 9:53 PM

But, what would have been Stalin's motive to keep the myth going that Hitler was alive?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 9:54 PM

Not saying that I don't believe you, R2. But, how can that be? These new revealing docs are saying that Hitler was a mess physically and mentally. I'm still rather shocked to learn about by how deep he was a drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote]But, what would have been Stalin's motive to keep the myth going that Hitler was alive?

Sowing discord among the western nations and distrust of them among the Soviet peoples.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 10:00 PM

Sure, ask any republic party member for their take on their hero.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 10:12 PM

Dan Snow read History at Oxford but has no graduate degrees. Is he a "Historian"? Yes, he's a large dish.

This doc is OK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 10:19 PM

Dan Snow is a "Historian" is as much as Barnum and Bailey are historians.

Dan Snow is a self-adoring self-publicist like Eric Cervini.

He uses verbs in the present tense to describe things that happened a century ago.

Dan Snow travels to exotic locations and puts his face right in front of the camera lens so we viewers can't actually see the exotic location.

He's another one of those TV idiots who talks at the camera while walking in other direction. He walks backwards.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 10:25 PM

But, he sure is HOT!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 10:34 PM

^^^^ that's Hitler?

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Dan adores himself!

Dan insists you adore him!

Our adoration has turned him into millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 10:37 PM

I attempted a snarky thread about Snow several years ago. Not much traction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2022 10:42 PM

Traudle Junge interview--Hitler's Secretary.

She discusses how she and Hitler talk about his suicide and she was the one who typed up his last will and testament. She lived to be the ripe age of 81 years old

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2022 10:48 PM

R13 That snark is completely justified. Is he one of the BBC millionaires?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2022 10:49 PM

If you're interested in the drug use, the documentary "Blitzed" is quite interesting.

That entire fucking country from 33-45 was tweaked out of their minds.

Which explains a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2022 10:52 PM

Could We Have A Serious & Intellectual Discussion About... HITLER? (followed by)...... First, I've fallen in love with the Historian Dan Snow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2022 11:01 PM

Best movie, by far, about Hitler: Downfall.

You truly get a sense of the desperation of these butchers realizing they're now going to be the butchered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2022 11:03 PM

Dan Snow is a media nepotism hire. His father is gaffe-prone news reader Jon "I've never seen so many white people" Snow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2022 11:07 PM

Substances administered to Hitler

Morell kept a medical diary of the drugs, tonics, vitamins and other substances he administered to Hitler, usually by injection (up to 20 times per day) or in pill form. Most were commercial preparations, some were Morell's own mixes. Since some of these compounds are considered toxic, historians have speculated that Morell inadvertently contributed to Hitler's deteriorating health. The fragmentary list (below) of some 74 substances (in 28 different mixtures) administered to Hitler include psychoactive drugs such as heroin as well as commercial poisons. Among the compounds, in alphabetical order, were:

Brom-Nervacit: bromide, Sodium diethylbarbiturate, Pyramidon, since August 1941 a spoonful of this tranquilizer almost every night, to counteract stimulation from methamphetamine and to allow sleep.

Cardiazol and Coramine: since 1941 for leg oedema . Chineurin: Quinine-containing preparation for common colds and flu.

Cocaine and adrenaline (via eye drops)

Coramine: Nikethamide injected when unduly sedated with barbiturates. In addition, Morell would use Coramine as part of an all-purpose "tonic".

Cortiron: Desoxycorticosterone Acetate IM injections for muscle weaknesses, influencing carbon hydrate metabolism.

Doktor Koster's Antigaspills: 2–4 pills before every meal, for a total of 8–16 tablets a day,[16] since 1936 Belladonna extractum and Strychnos nux vomica in high doses, for meteorism.

Enbasin: Sulfonamide, intragluteal 5cc, for diverse infections.

Euflat: Bile extract, Radix Angelica, Aloes, Papaverine, Caffeine, Pancreatine, Fel tauri – pills, for meteorism, and treatment of digestion disorders

Eukodal: heavy doses Oxycodone, for intestinal spasms, painkiller

Eupaverin: Moxaverine, an isoquinoline derivative for intestinal spasms and colics.

Glucose: 1938 till 1940 every third day Glucose injections 5 and 10%, for potentiation of the Strophanthus effect

Glyconorm: metformin,[7] Metabolism Enzymes (Cozymase I and II), Amino acids, Vitamins – injectable solution as a strengthener tonic

Homatropin: Homatropine. HBr 0.1g, NaCl 0.08g; Distilled water added 10 ml. Eye drops for right eye problems.

Intelan: twice a day Vitamins A, D3 and B12 – tablets as a strengthener, tonic.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2022 11:11 PM

Camomilla Officinale: chamomile – intestinal enemata, on the patient's personal request

Luitzym: after each meal Enzymes with Cellulase, Hemicellulases, Amylase, Proteases for intestinal problems, meteorism.

Mutaflor: Emulsion of Escherichia coli-strains – enteric coated tablets for improvement of intestinal flora. They were prescribed to Hitler for flatulence in 1936, the first unorthodox drug treatment from Morell; bacteria cultured from human feces, see: "E. coli")

Omnadin: Mixture of protein compounds, biliar lipids and animal fat, taken at the onset of infections (together with Vitamultin).

Optalidon: Caffeine, Propyphenazone – tablets at the beginning of infections (together with Vitamultin)

Orchikrin: an extract of bovine testosterone, pituitary gland, and glycerophosphate, as a tonic, strengthener. Marketed also as an aphrodisiac.

Penicilline-Hamma: Penicillin – powder Topical antibiotic. After the attempted assassination of July 20, 1944 to treat his right arm.

Pervitin: methamphetamine injections for mental depression and fatigue

Progynon B-Oleosum: Estradiol Valerate, Benzoic ester of follicle hormone, for Improvement of the circulation in the gastric mucosa.

Prostacrinum: two ampoules every second day for a short period in '43, extract of seminal vesicles and prostate – injected IM for mental depression

Prostophanta: Strophantine 0.3 mg, Glucose, Vitamin B, Nicotinic acid – IM heart glycoside, strengthener.

Septoid: intravenous injections of 10 cc of 3% iodine (in potassium iodide form) with 10 cc of 20% glucose, two or three times a day, to improve heart's condition and the altered Second Sound.

Strophantin: '41 to '44 – cycle of 2 weeks of homeopathic Strophanthus gratus glycoside 0.2 mg per day for coronary sclerosis.

Sympatol: oxedrine tartrate since '42, 10 drops daily for increasing the cardiac minute volume

Testoviron: Testosterone propionate as a tonic, strengthener.

Tonophosphan: '42 to '44, Phosphoric preparation – SC tonic, strengthener

Ultraseptyl: Sulfonamide for respiratory infections

Veritol: since March '44 Hydroxyphenyl-2-methylamino-propane – eyedrops for left eye treatment

Vitamultin-Calcium: Caffeine, Vitamins.

An almost complete listing of the drugs used by Morell, wrote historian Hugh Trevor-Roper, was compiled after the war from his own meticulous daily records unlikely to have been exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2022 11:12 PM

Does anyone know why Hitler chose to be a vegetarian? Apparently, he farted A LOT because of his diet! Also, while I don't think that he slept with his niece, I do believe that he lusted for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2022 11:24 PM

R12 Dan Snow is married to Lady a Louise Grosvenor, the sister of the current Duke of Westminster. With a fortune in the high Billions, they laugh at millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2022 11:25 PM

Ironic Hitler was taking medicine for depression.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2022 11:30 PM

Would the assholes who keep trying to derail this thread by discussing ad nauseum some obscure Brit assholes and their entire family tree take that shit to its own thread.

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2022 11:32 PM

^^^Lady a Louise Grosvenor^^^^

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2022 11:36 PM

R16 I read the book by Norman Ohler that the doc you posted must have been based on. Lots of controversy amongst historians but fascinating and I do believe speed played a huge part in the rise of the third reich apart from Adolf’s nutty doctor.

Much of the controversy is around people saying that focussing in on the drug taking is somehow lessening the guilt of the perpetrators. I don’t think so. It just gave them the energy to do what they already wanted to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2022 11:36 PM

R20 Hitler wasn’t much of an example of the “Master Race.”

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2022 11:50 PM

[quote] He was a straight-up, 100%, junkie! His doctor (Dr Morrell) kept him fully drugged during the last years of his life.

Much as Dr Max Jacobson did with JFK

[quote] Hitler only had 5 natural teeth by the time of his death

Probably he was lucky to have that many after the malnutrition and crude oral hygiene of the Western Front trenches and the years of German postwar starvation.

Iron Crosses First and Second Class for heroism in combat. Mustard gas casualty recovering in an Army hospital when the war ended.

I always thought the most interesting aspect of his rise to power was he had been assigned by Army Intelligence to infiltrate and spy on the group that became the Nazi Party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2022 11:51 PM

As per John Waters: Read Gitta Sereny

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2022 11:52 PM

Wtf, I’m on 90 mg of Adderall a day and can’t get anything done, much less start managing extensive train schedules!

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2022 11:56 PM

An American doctor at Nuremberg postwar was convinced from his interviews of people who knew Hitler well that he was suffering from long-haul, Spanish Flu symptoms, which included a range of nervous system issues, like encephalitis, psychosis, and Parkinson's disease, all of which were trending high throughout the 1920s and 30s. Hitler sensed his rapidly declining health and often said to those in his inner circle he wouldn't live long. It's an interesting theory based on what we're seeing now with Covid.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 12:00 AM

R30 There are a series of Sereny interviews on You Tube in which she comes off as a weirdo -- clearly a dupe vis a vis the Nazis she studied. She was snowed by the likes of Albert Speer and clearly admired him a great deal. What we know about Speer now and his close involvement in and planning of genocide would have guaranteed a death sentence for him. "He was a superior man," she says in one of the segments.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 12:05 AM

More importantly R31, does the Adderall make you feel genocidal?

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 12:14 AM

Soon, very soon we will find out who the druggies in Dump’s circle are. Cheeto, Jr. Mint, Gargoyle, Melotonin for starters.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 12:25 AM

I'm surprised a human body could tolerate all of the medications listed. He became a mutant of himself.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 12:26 AM

What's Mel on?

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 12:26 AM

R20, you forgot to mention Vitameatavegamin!

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 12:44 AM

Fun fact: Adolf Hitler’s real name was… Adolf Schickelgruber

[quote] Adolf Schickelgruber changed his name to Adolf Hitler, a not uncommon sirname in the Corinthian province of Austria where he was born, and where indeed some of his relatives had that name.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 1:36 AM

[quote] pills, for meteorism

What the F is “meteorism”?? That whole list reads like gobbledygook.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 1:44 AM

"sirname"

Oh, dear!

"Corinthian province of Austria"

Oh, dear, wieder!

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2022 1:45 AM

Very interesting, r32.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2022 2:10 AM

What I find adjacently gross about Hitler is how he was exploited (I know, an odd word choice) by people and institutions to achieve their own goals.

The Catholic Church was (sometimes quietly, sometimes not so quietly) backing the Nazi Party because at least they acknowledged Jesus… unlike GODLESS RUSSIA, who the Church feared would take global power and their jobs along with it.

Then America had Project Paperclip, where they cleaned up the records of many top Nazi scientists and gave them U.S. citizenship so Russia wouldn’t get their hands on them to make Cold War missiles. (Can’t have that - we need them to make OUR missiles!!)

It’s just a special kind of horrible when you decry someone publicly but then reap rewards from them at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2022 2:34 AM

OP: Dan Snow is indeed a hot man. Have you noticed his ink? He seems to have a sleeve on one arm, as well as work on his chest. I saw him in a video with an equally hot interviewer, where Snow discussed the Crusades, on which he is reputedly an expert.

The energy exchanged between the two men was intense, not sexual, but full of enthusiasm for the subject. Great to watch, when guys get like that.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2022 2:40 AM

[quote] It’s just a special kind of horrible when you decry someone publicly but then reap rewards from them at the same time.

R43 Yes, political hypocrisy didn't start with Reagan and its evolution to Trumpism, but our political history was conducive to it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Someone up-thread suggested that Hitler's ills were due to Spanish Flu -I had always thought it was syphilis??

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2022 3:06 AM

Hitler's bookplate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2022 3:07 AM

Nice simple portrait, in case you need one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2022 3:09 AM

^ nicely-photographed, from back in the gold old days when people didn't manipulate every single image.

Why did he choose that Toothbrush moustache?

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2022 3:54 AM

Really, R49? The lighting in the photo makes it look like he shaved off part of his mustache by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2022 3:57 AM

[quote]Fun fact: Adolf Hitler’s real name was… Adolf Schickelgruber

No, it wasn't. That was his father's birth name, but he took his stepfather/possible bio father's name, which was Hiedler. Some clerical error changed it to Hitler. Adolf Hitler was born Adolf Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2022 4:26 AM

[quote]Corinthian province of Austria

That's Carinthia, not Corinth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2022 4:29 AM

R19 You know nothing Jo(h)n Snow.

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2022 8:28 AM

Hitler is just another case of where history has been lost. I find it interesting that so many unknowns and rumors still surround him. It's not like there weren't many people around him that lived to be quite elderly who could not have been interviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2022 9:47 AM

[quote]What the F is “meteorism”??

MEE-tee-oh-rih-zum) Swelling of the abdomen caused by gas in the intestines or peritoneal cavity. Also called tympanites. MEE-tee-oh-rih-zum) Swelling of the abdomen caused by gas in the intestines or peritoneal cavity. Also called tympanites. Some experts believe that as you get older, you fart more because your metabolism slows down. The food sits longer in your digestive system, creating more gas. Also, your stomach makes less of the acid needed to digest food well. What's more, your digestive system is made up of muscles. How do you cure Meteorism? Home remedies for flatulence include: Keeping a food diary. This will help you figure out which foods increase gas in your body. ... Adjusting your diet. ... Eating smaller meals more frequently. ... Trying to swallow less air. ... Drinking lots of water. ... Exercising regularly. ... Taking probiotics. ... Using charcoal pads.

I thought it odd but very funny that Hitler DID NOT believe in exercise. He would walk down a hill but there was always a car waiting at the bottom to drive him back up the hill. LOL!!! Clearly, Goebbels was VERY GOOD at his job!!!

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2022 11:15 AM

If we’re talking about British historians named Dan, I find Dan Jones way hotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2022 12:50 PM

It was not unusual for people to be virtually toothless by his age or even younger back then. In 1941 in the US, 10% of potential military recruits were rejected for not having six opposing teeth on their upper and lower jaws, because soldiers need to be able to eat normal food. These were men in their late teens and early twenties for the most part. Dental healthcare has improved vastly in the past century.

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2022 12:51 PM

And that's why you'll never be a genocidal dictator @31

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2022 1:03 PM

Gitta Sereny is well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2022 1:09 PM

Now, that's quite interesting, R57

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2022 2:25 PM

They're not fools, R1. Argentina already had a German population that had created "Little Bavarias" there. Thousands of Nazis fled to Argentina and Chile. Most were never caught. A good number of those Nazis were high profile Nazis like Mengele. You do realise that there were five exit tunnels at Hitler's bunker? One of those exits lead directly into Templehoff airport. Hitler's personal belongings were flown to Argentina shortly before his alleged suicide. Lots of FBI files regarding Hitler escaping to Argentina in order to continue the war effort have been declassified.

Do you think the Germans had no contingency plan in the event of Germany being invaded? They had already built a complex for Hitler, complete with fortified buildings to house military, in Argentina prior to the Russian invasion of Berlin. It really wouldn't be that difficult to stage his suicide and smuggle him out on a plan using the tunnel to Templehoff airport.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2022 8:30 PM

*on a plane..

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2022 8:32 PM

R61 = also a big fan of "Ancient Aliens."

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2022 10:04 PM

[quote]Do you think the Germans had no contingency plan in the event of Germany being invaded?

It is logical that he would commit suicide. Hitler saw himself as the central figure in a real life grand Wagnerian opera. He believed that his & Germany's fates were inextricably bound, he WAS Germany and vice versa. Both would either emerge from the war in glorious triumph or go down together in a grand blazing spectacle of ashes, ruin, and death. This was his Götterdämmerung. All or nothing, he wouldn't live without Germany and he believed that Germany should not exist without him. Like the possessive psycho ex-husband/boyfriend who doesn't want to live without his wife/girlfriend and doesn't want her to live without him.

And what was he going to escape to? Do you think that he was just going to kick back and enjoy a quiet retirement in the Argentinian countryside? Whatever it was that he had burning in his brain that drove him to do all that he did wasn't something you just switch off like a light. Or do you think that a burned out middle aged husk of a man with multiple serious health issues (possibly including Parkinson's Disease) was going to start all over from scratch, building a Fourth Reich in a country in which he had no roots, among people he would have considered to be unworthy of his supposed greatness? What exactly did he have to live for? Where do you go from being on top of the world?

HIs death in Berlin was proven beyond a reasonable doubt through forensic examination of his dental remains which are now archived in Moscow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2022 10:12 PM

A Dan Tag team: Jones & Snow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2022 10:13 PM

And, here I thought he was terrified of what they would do to him or his corpse after seeing what they did to Mussolini, R64! (smile) Thanks for that posting. I enjoyed reading it!

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2022 10:18 PM

R65 is Off-Topic but I wonder if his filthy arms are as demented as Hitler's teeth? Why expose that ugliness?

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote]I thought he was terrified of what they would do to him or his corpse after seeing what they did to Mussolini,

That was a factor.

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote] Could We Have A Serious & Intellectual Discussion

No, we can't have A Serious & Intellectual Discussion. Only 10% of Dataloungers are capable of such things.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2022 10:41 PM

R69 is a turdburglar.

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2022 10:46 PM

But his CHEESECAKE was the best. Ugh. What an evil, evil, evil man, totally sickening what so many suffered at his hands and the hands of his goons.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2022 10:50 PM

Why don't fascists ever smile?

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2022 10:51 PM

I LOVE Mr. Beat too! I think he's cute! He reminds me of Billy Mumy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2022 11:34 PM

R72 Do you expect everyone to smile when they greet you?

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2022 11:38 PM

füh·rer

/ˈfyo͞orər/

noun

a ruthless, tyrannical leader.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2022 8:46 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2022 8:51 AM

[quote]It was not unusual for people to be virtually toothless by his age or even younger back then

My mother told me when she was young people who were getting married sometimes asked dentures as a wedding gift

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2022 8:55 AM

She was just fucking with you, r77.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2022 9:12 AM

This is an excellent article from the London Review of Books about military drug use during warfare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2022 9:17 AM

Philippe Charlier

@doctroptard

#Hitler est bien mort en 1945 à Berlin, et ses restes sont à Moscou. Notre étude biomédicale définitive est à lire ici : https(colon)//sciencedirect(dot)com/science/article/pii/S0953620518301912

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2022 9:22 AM

Hitler et al. believed in Antarctica alien bases and sought evidence of aliens in the Middle East.

The Inner Circle comprised Occultists.

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2022 12:48 PM

Anyone of you people know if Hitler ever visited a concentration camp?

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2022 9:16 PM

R82 Don't be silly.

Dataloungers don't know facts, they know gossip.

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2022 11:17 PM

I tell you, the more I hear about this Hitler guy the less I like him.

by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2022 11:22 PM

No, R82. Hitler did not visit a concentration camp.

In fact, there is no written documents linking Hitler to concentration camps or to the Holocaust.

When the Nazi's instituted the euthanasia program to eliminate the mentally and physically disabled, Hitler had his paws all over it with documents leading directly back to his orders and signature of approval. And when Germans found out what was really going on, why these people were "disappearing" Hitler took considerable heat, especially from Catholic and Lutheran clerics.

Hitler learned his lesson, so he left all the planning for the Holocaust and its gory details to his subordinates, notably that butcher Himmler. Himmler had no compunctions whatsoever about planning and implementing mass murder.

by Anonymousreply 85August 19, 2022 11:48 PM

Hitler was a lovely little chap and a man of his word

by Anonymousreply 86August 19, 2022 11:49 PM

R77 Wow, that's harsh but understandable. They are expensive even today, my dentist said they'd cost around $5000 when I asked a few years back. I hope they were able to get the dentures before the wedding pix were taken.

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2022 12:09 AM

Home Movies!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2022 12:48 AM

Prior to 1938—

He had style, he had grace.

Albert Speer gave good face

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2022 12:52 AM

What am I, r85, a mere bureaucrat?! I mean, I know that's what I SAID, but come on....

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2022 5:29 AM

Aren't there at least three other threads on this?

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2022 6:05 AM

Could We Have A Serious & Intellectual Discussion About... HITLER?

Yes, absolutely, but not on DL.

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2022 8:36 AM

OP states as one of his points that Hitler had only one ball isn't true.

In fact, the evidence, one way or the other, is circumstantial, highly disputed and sometimes contradictory. Historians and medical scholars are divided.

The Wikipedia article used to be more detailed but seems to have been edited. Note the prison records released in 2015.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2022 8:56 AM

Teeth and testicles. That's DL's hot take on Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2022 9:09 AM

Testicle, r94. Testicle, not plural.

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2022 9:14 AM

[quote] monorchism

That's a nice sounding word for such an ugly condition.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2022 9:16 AM

I once knew a congenital monorchid. It rarely came up in conversation. Everyone knew but no one, especially him, wanted to talk about it. He was hot in bed.

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2022 9:27 AM

97 comments in, and has anyone in this thread mentioned basics, such as ummm...the invasion of Poland, the Holocaust, or what was it....WW2?

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2022 9:29 AM

It's like kidneys. One will get the job done. God in his wisdom gave us double of certain things.

by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2022 9:30 AM

^No, R98. But, no one has talked about Hitler's art collection and his affinity for the arts and architecture either

by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2022 9:33 AM

He liked dogs.

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2022 9:40 AM

Hmph... but, he murdered Blondie!

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2022 9:44 AM

[Quote]Thousands of Nazis fled to Argentina and Chile.

In a Yul Brynner bio I read it said his wife Doris was born in Zagreb but she was raised in Chile. Makes me wonder if her family were Nazis or Jews escaping Europe. Her father could have been a Reich diplomat in Zagreb when she was born I guess. The family name was Kline. Doris always says she's Chilean.

In Hitler's doctor's files there are many entries about physical examinations. He had a normal nutsac. The one ball story is false.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2022 9:44 AM

R100 I rather like the symmetry and grandeur of his Roman-style buildings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2022 9:45 AM

If you have not read "Hitler's First Hundred Days" by Peter Fritzsche, I highly recommend it.

It talks about how he quickly consolidated power, often by force, after becoming Chancellor and how in just 100 days he had the support of the vast majority of the German people, even in Berlin where his support had been weakest.

Granted many of his opponents wound up fleeing the country or in jail, but the love was real.

Compare that to Trump who never won over a majority of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2022 9:47 AM

Do not forget that it was the Catholic church (or certain right wing bishops) who established the ratlines that got Nazis out of Europe and into Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2022 9:48 AM

[quote] In Hitler's doctor's files there are many entries about physical examinations. He had a normal nutsac. The one ball story is false.

Hitler had multiple doctors once he became Fuhrer. Most of them, his employees, said he was normal. A few said he refused to undrape completely during his exams. Take into account his 1923 prison records and make of it what you will.

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2022 9:51 AM

Nazis escaped Europe to other countries via various methods and routes.

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2022 9:53 AM

[quote]97 comments in, and has anyone in this thread mentioned basics, such as ummm...the invasion of Poland, the Holocaust, or what was it....WW2?

I think because it is such a delicate subject. While the subject could be quite enlightening and educational (thanks, R106! I never knew about that), this is DL, and you have no idea of who would post and be attracted to this thread. It could become quite unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2022 9:53 AM

For reference...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 20, 2022 9:55 AM

And that means everybody's art, r100!

Poor r98. Expecting the DL version of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." Go to the library, Toots.

by Anonymousreply 111August 20, 2022 9:58 AM

This clip is interesting. If it is accurate it was one of Hitler's last public events. I believe he had 1 or 2 more after it (he committed suicide in 1945) It's surprising that he was able to do this because he was stoned out of his mind at the time. What is also interesting is that is documents an attempted assassination/suicide attempt (4:38 mark)

Did you know that it was Hugo Boss that designed and produced the NAZI clothing?

[quote]Boss joined the Nazi Party in 1931, two years before Adolf Hitler came to power. By the third quarter of 1932, the all-black SS uniform (to replace the SA brown shirts) was designed by SS-Oberführer Prof. Karl Diebitsch, and graphic designer Walter Heck, who had no affiliation with the company. The Hugo Boss company produced these black uniforms along with the brown SA shirts and the black-and-brown uniforms of the Hitler Youth. Some workers were French and Polish prisoners of war forced into labour. In 1999, US lawyers acting on behalf of Holocaust survivors started legal proceedings against the Hugo Boss company over the use of slave labour during the war. The misuse of 140 Polish and 40 French forced workers led to an apology by the company. After World War II, the denazification process saw Boss initially labeled as an "activist, supporter and beneficiary" of national-socialism, which resulted in a heavy fine, also stripping him of his voting rights and capacity to run a business. However, this initial ruling was appealed, and Boss was re-labeled as a "follower", a category with a less severe punishment. Nevertheless, the effects of the ban led to Boss's son-in-law, Eugen Holy, taking over both the ownership and the running of the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2022 11:04 AM

An interview with Lady Diana Mosley where she talks about her relationship with Hitler. Talk about Hitler starts at 4 minutes in. Her politics aside, it’s very interesting to hear from someone who was there what he was like and what she honestly thought of him at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2022 12:12 PM

Hands up. Who came into the thread for the Arno Breker statues and handsome doomed Nazi officers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2022 12:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2022 12:18 PM

Dan Snow is no Lucy Worsley that’s for sure!

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2022 12:42 PM

re Hugo Boss: Nazi uniforms are gorgeous. Some years ago I was in a shop that had nothing but used military uniforms from around the world for sale. There were some magnificent Nazi jackets, but I found it impossible to even try one on or to appreciate it purely from an artistic point of view. They repelled.

Instead I bought a highly embellished Libyan pilot's jacket that fit like a glove. I used to wear it out clubbing open with no shirt.

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2022 8:59 PM

Ooh! Aren't you edgy, Miss R117?!

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2022 9:33 PM

Hitler had syphilis. Hitler had contracted syphilis in his youth and was treated for it at a hospital in Pasewalk. However, in 1937, symptoms re-appeared, showing that the disease was still active, and by the start of 1942, signs were evident that progressive syphilitic paralysis (Tabes dorsalis) was occurring.

by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2022 9:38 PM

I found this documentary on Youtube and found it very informative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2022 9:41 PM

[quote]Hitler had syphilis. Hitler had contracted syphilis in his youth and was treated for it at a hospital in Pasewalk. However, in 1937, symptoms re-appeared, showing that the disease was still active, and by the start of 1942, signs were evident that progressive syphilitic paralysis (Tabes dorsalis) was occurring.

I don't think that this was ever proven to 100% certainty.

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2022 10:08 PM

I don't know who came up with the assignation system but "somebody" wanted to make the NAZIs and their supporters accountable. Hugo Boss was labeled as an "activist, supporter and beneficiary" of national-socialism, which resulted in a heavy fine, also stripping him of his voting rights and capacity to run a business. However, this initial ruling was appealed, and Boss was re-labeled as a "follower", a category with a less severe punishment. Arno Breker was designated as a "fellow traveller" of the Nazis and fired, despite which he continued to thrive professionally as a sculptor, architect, and whatever else. So, people and businesses were punished.

I wonder if we could do that here in the USA? "activist, supporter and beneficiary" of Trump. "fellow traveller" of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2022 10:18 PM

British intelligence manufactured reams of garbage propaganda belittling Hitler as they now do with Putin. The issue with that is it makes it almost impossible to sift through and find the truth.

by Anonymousreply 123August 20, 2022 10:23 PM

Die In Style!

HUGO BOSS

Clothing only a Fuhrer dare wear!

Let us bring out the ferocious Fuhrer in you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 20, 2022 10:32 PM

R123. True. It's a pity because it's important to know the real Hitler to better understand his rise to power, his pysche and the methods he used to maintain power.

All this he was an irrational syphilitic one-testicled monster is not helpful.

by Anonymousreply 125August 20, 2022 10:33 PM

Interesting trivia: the REAL reason so few grand Nazi-era buildings remain today isn't merely "destruction from bombing" or gung-ho eradication post-WWII... it's because most of them were literally built like shit. They were basically heroic-scale McMansions... sticks & tar-paper, with veneer brick glued onto the outside to LOOK majestic & impressive. Most Nazi-era buildings that survived the war were in such bad shape by the 1980s, it would have cost more to refurbish them than to just demolish them & start over. Now, that's not to say that negative public opinions about their origin WASN'T a factor... but seriously, after just a few decades, most Nazi-era buildings were in REALLY bad shape.

by Anonymousreply 126August 20, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote] It's a pity because it's important to know the real Hitler to better understand his rise to power

Hitler was like Trump (or, vice-a-versa). He was able to tap into the base instinct of the people. This isn't hard to follow; When you are considered "the privileged" and yet your life is shit (mostly because of your own doing) you look to blame anyone else but yourself. The white male of the USA feels threatened because they see a few colored folks attain possessions and positions that they feel that they should have. They could have had it too. But, it was that individual that CHOSE not to work hard and/or keep a focus on goals. So, who do they blame for their self-induced plight?

Germany was on the brink of full collapse when Hitler came into power. But, it seems as if it were the Jews (who have always been ostracized) that appeared to be surviving and thriving. Therefore, they get the blame.

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2022 10:47 PM

R126 Can you name them?

by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2022 10:47 PM

R126. Have you got a link because if anything the Germans were efficient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2022 10:48 PM

I just LOVE the coat that is 4th from the left!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 20, 2022 10:49 PM

Why no discussion about whether Dan Snow is uncut? Isn’t that moat important!?

by Anonymousreply 131August 20, 2022 10:53 PM

Here ya go, R129

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 20, 2022 11:10 PM

I like Mark Felton's videos.

This one suggests that some of Hitler's remains may still exist in Germany

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 20, 2022 11:17 PM

R132. There's nothing in that clip about poorly constructed Nazi buildings.

by Anonymousreply 134August 20, 2022 11:19 PM

I subscribe to Felton's history channel. It's quite worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 135August 20, 2022 11:20 PM

Actually R127, Hitler bears little resemblance to Trump

The key differentiator is that once Hitler was in power, within 100 days he had the support of the vast majority of the German people. (Granted he killed, jailed or ran the opposition out of the country but still)

Trump never had an approval rating over 50%, it was mostly around the 40% mark

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2022 1:12 AM

^^An excellent read on Hitler's first 100 days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2022 1:13 AM

That was fascinating R113 - high theater. Drollery and restraint, What a broad. What a family.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2022 1:13 AM

The Mitford sisters need a miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2022 1:17 AM

This is the book on Nazi aesthetics some you are looking for and national Socialists' urgent desire to prettify the world, not least places and people.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2022 1:19 AM

As above

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2022 1:19 AM

Lady Diana Mosley is quite immoral, evasive, non-informative and non-descriptive, and elitist in that interview. Wow, horrible critical thinking on display. A cunt.

by Anonymousreply 142August 21, 2022 1:26 AM

I'll bet she loved a rough fuck.

by Anonymousreply 143August 21, 2022 1:30 AM

Lol, r142.

Other dictators have killed more people. Dayum, girlfriend! Can’t all your money buy you a clue?

by Anonymousreply 144August 21, 2022 1:31 AM

[quote] The Mitford sisters need a miniseries

The Mitford sisters inspired a great many aspects in the daughters of that TV show called Downton Abbey.

I heartily recommend this scholarly edition of their entertaining letters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 21, 2022 2:00 AM

R144. Listen more closely. She has a point. She met Hitler before his crimes against humanity. Others, western leaders met with Stalin, Mao, etc after their crimes were known.

by Anonymousreply 146August 21, 2022 2:02 AM

Dan Snow is married to the sister of the Duke of Westminster.

by Anonymousreply 147August 21, 2022 2:06 AM

[quote] the Duke of Westminster.

His uncles partied with the naughty Mitfords.

by Anonymousreply 148August 21, 2022 2:09 AM

R146, I don’t care if she met Hitler when she was his wet nurse. I understand the point she is making, that it was fashionable to meet political people no matter what their politics eventually led to. Edward and Wallis Windsor met Hitler. But it comes across as if she’s saying Hitler wasn’t so bad because Mao killed even more people.

by Anonymousreply 149August 21, 2022 2:14 AM

She's very clear she admired Hitler. She said she had a hard time tallying his crimes with the man she met and knew, at first.

by Anonymousreply 150August 21, 2022 2:16 AM

[quote] Listen more closely

That reminds me of one of favourite lines from Evelyn Waugh's best story.

The feckless John Beaver says to his machinating mother, “Mumsy you are wonderful… you know about everyone. She replies ‘It’s a great help to pay attention while people are talking.)

by Anonymousreply 151August 21, 2022 2:19 AM

For r125:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 21, 2022 2:31 AM

R140, What?! "Prettify the world?" How? By stripping museums and homes of art treasures?

The Mitfords were WELL aware of Hitler's beliefs and intentions before the Anschluss. They shared his anti-Semitism and Fascist leanings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 21, 2022 2:37 AM

Please, r123, tell us all the lies about Putin that "British intelligence" has fabricated.

by Anonymousreply 154August 21, 2022 2:40 AM

[quote] The Mitfords were WELL aware

Who told you that? Your only source is a TV show and sensible people know that TV history shows, especially those concocted by the prancing Don Snow, are ALL sensational visuals and nothing relying on cold documentary evidence.

by Anonymousreply 155August 21, 2022 2:48 AM

[Quote]in 2002, she responded that her reaction to the newsreels of death camps was "Well, of course, horror. Utter horror. Exactly the same probably as your reactions." However, when asked about having revulsion against Hitler for this, she said that "I had a complete revulsion against the people who did it but I could never efface from my memory the man I had actually experienced before the war. A very complicated feeling. I can't really relate those two things to each other. I know I'm not supposed to say that but I just have to.

And this is how History works for those actually involved in it. It's easy to have a knee-jerk reaction decades later and to cancel historical figures for their political beliefs but history is complicated.

My grandmother testified at the Nuremberg Trials IN SUPPORT of the Nazi official who ran the camps in which she was imprisoned nearly the entire war. (Only a series of miracles helped her to survive)

When she told me this I thought WTF? But she explained he'd saved her life in exchange for doing so. She made a promise to him in exchange for her life and she was going to honor it.

Complicated

by Anonymousreply 156August 21, 2022 2:58 AM

How did he save her life AFTER the war, she was freed, and him only at that moment being tried as a crime.

by Anonymousreply 157August 21, 2022 3:04 AM

R157. Try again and I'll answer whatever it is you're trying to ask.

by Anonymousreply 158August 21, 2022 3:07 AM

How did the concentration camp director save the life of your mother AFTER the camps were liberated, she was free, and he was facing trial?

by Anonymousreply 159August 21, 2022 3:10 AM

you wrote "she explained he'd saved her life in exchange for doing so. " in exchange for testifying on his behalf. Which would only be after the camps no longer existed. So what did he do at that point, after the war, to save her life?

by Anonymousreply 160August 21, 2022 3:11 AM

Though the trolls on DL throw stones at the frogs in jest the frogs do not die in jest but in earnest.

by Anonymousreply 161August 21, 2022 3:17 AM

See, now r141 is actually being helpful.

by Anonymousreply 162August 21, 2022 3:19 AM

Fecklesch.

- Liza

by Anonymousreply 163August 21, 2022 3:20 AM

R155, I've never seen a television show about the Mitfords, sorry. But you might want to read that to which I linked.

Is 1934 early enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2022 3:20 AM

R156, Not so "complicated" in the larger, one might even say world, view.

It is individual human emotion that is complicated.

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2022 3:23 AM

Are there Hitler apologists on this thread?? And Hitler-apologist apologists?

Next somebody's going to inform us of the cinematic genius of Leni Riefenstahl. Or the journalistic innovativeness of Julius Streicher. Or the Father of Time-Management Efficiency Studies, Adolf Eichmann.

by Anonymousreply 166August 21, 2022 3:29 AM

r160 At the time the war ended my grandmother was on a train with the Nazis. The Nazis were trying to get back to Berlin knowing defeat was near.

My grandmother was part of a small medical team made up of prisoners.

The day before the train was stopped by Allied troops my grandmother freaked out when she learned her fellow prisoners had cyanide tablets. She had none.

The Nazi heard her screaming and had her brought to him. It was at this time he said she was safe, that he liked her and that he would not harm her and would she please "tell them" that he had shown her mercy.

So she testified at Nuremberg as she promised. But you know she was not a silly woman. She knew she would be cross-examined and she would testify to his atrocities as well. He was hanged.

by Anonymousreply 167August 21, 2022 4:03 AM

There is a book about them that I haven't read yet but I have the book on my kindle. Maybe that will be my next book

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 21, 2022 4:38 AM

The Six: The Lives of the Mitford Sisters

Sounds like a great musical. Unity will be played by a black woman, Pamela by an Asian woman, Diana by a Latinx woman and Jessica by a transgender woman.

by Anonymousreply 169August 21, 2022 5:45 AM

It's easy to forget that in the prewar years, even people who found Hitler and Nazism abhorrent took note of how he had managed to unite Germans and boost the economy and create what seemed to be a new social order.

One did not have to approve of the new social order he created in order to take note of the fact that he'd created it.

There were many people trying to figure out how to take some of what Hitler had done and put it to use for non-evil purposes.

But his impact on all aspects of German society was massive, unlike Trump who mostly served to further divide the white working class from everyone else

by Anonymousreply 170August 21, 2022 6:35 AM

He helped the economy by looting from jews.

by Anonymousreply 171August 21, 2022 6:39 AM

The only good thing about Shitler was that he appreciated big white cock.

by Anonymousreply 172August 21, 2022 6:39 AM

Dan Snow’s father is journalist Peter Snow. Jon Snow is a cousin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 21, 2022 6:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 21, 2022 6:44 AM

I spent 2 years hoping to be accepted for music doctoral work in Germany. The man I went to study with was a musical genius in interpreting early Baroque up to JS Bach.

I worked with him at the conservatory for several months before I learned he had been a Nazi officer. That status aided him at the end of the war to secrete as much music out of what soon would be East Germany. Particularly he raided Leipzig for its musical riches.

Thus, my music idol turned out to be a Nazi and somewhat a thief. It is true the West was not allowed access to many manuscripts, particularly those in Leipzig. I know. I tried.

Years later we hosted my mentor when the musical group he directed toured the US. We finally had the discussion I long-yearned for about his war years. The whole thing was terrible for me since he had become a grandfather image. He did ease my mind.

by Anonymousreply 175August 21, 2022 7:42 AM

[quote]We finally had the discussion I long-yearned for about his war years.

So, what were his thoughts, R175? Was he aware of the Nazi atrocities?

I watched the linked video about Albert Speer (Hitler's architect) last night. Bottom line (if the information is correct) he lied. While he did serve 20 years for his war crimes he maintained that he knew nothing about the NAZI atrocities. He proclaimed that he was simply a humble architect. However, evidence shows and proves otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 21, 2022 10:38 AM

R170 "But his impact on all aspects of German society was massive, unlike Trump who mostly served to further divide the white working class from everyone else "

What the fuck are you talking about. His agenda was the ascension of the White Aryan Race and the elimination of almost everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 177August 21, 2022 12:00 PM

[quote] His agenda was the ascension of the White Aryan Race

He was comparatively successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 21, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote]And that means everybody's art, [R100]!

Well... it's something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 21, 2022 1:23 PM

Ultimately R177

But in the period 1933-39, he completely remade German society.

From people Seig-Heiling each other in greeting to the immense popularity of youth organizations like Hitler Youth and League of German Girls to Leni R and her films, Germany was completely Nazified.

That is not a good thing by any means, but it is a thing and few leaders have been able to transform their countries so rapidly and so thoroughly

by Anonymousreply 180August 21, 2022 1:29 PM

R180, Germans were desperate. They’d do anything for relief.

And let’s not forget the fear of being reported by a neighbor if your Seig Heil wasn’t sincere enough. It’s what keeps Communist Chinese in check and why when one of those leaders dies, you see them on the street wailing. If their tears aren’t real, they will be arrested and disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 181August 21, 2022 1:34 PM

Yes and no R181

Read the book at R137 -- Germany was very divided between Communists, Nazis and centrist parties just before Hitler took over. The speed with which he took over and gained the support of most of the country was remarkable. Granted his killed, jailed or forced most of his opponents into exile, but still....

by Anonymousreply 182August 21, 2022 1:41 PM

Albert Speer's con job at the Nuremburg trials was the biggest miscarriage of justice in the history of the world.

To think that the guy who was responsible for employing hundreds of thousands of foreign slave laborers (and domestic ones, as well) didn't know the existence of concentration camps and killing centers like Auschwitz beggars the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 183August 21, 2022 1:51 PM

[Quote]The speed with which he took over and gained the support of most of the country was remarkable.

Yes, this.

by Anonymousreply 184August 21, 2022 2:02 PM

I remember when "Downfall" was released. Bruno Ganz suffered an enormous amount of criticism from Germans because he dared to portray Hitler as an actual human being. Germans seemed much happier thinking of him as some unstoppable supervillain.

by Anonymousreply 185August 21, 2022 2:32 PM

If being an inhumane psychopath who jailed and killed his opponents, destroyed millions of lives and responsible for the deaths of at least 11 million people was remarkable, then yes I agree with you.

It's claimed that Genghis Khan was responsible for about 40 million deaths. Let's praise his efficiency as well.

by Anonymousreply 186August 21, 2022 2:40 PM

When Hitler came to power, didn’t he consolidate two jobs into one? Would it be like in the US if someone was elected President and upon election they did away with the Vice-President’s job?

by Anonymousreply 187August 21, 2022 2:49 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 188August 21, 2022 4:56 PM

You've made the assumption, R64, that the body the Russians discovered was 100% Hitler's remains and not a double or indeed someone else who was killed there. However, if you can explain how a man who never smoked and only drank water had brown stained teeth and, what was discovered to be many decades later, a female skull then I would be highly interested..

by Anonymousreply 189August 22, 2022 12:56 AM

There are several people who claimed they saw Hitler in Chile and Argentina. Primarily maids and housekeepers where he stayed for medium to long periods. He was older, frailer, one of his arms was semi-crippled, and of course his trademark mustache was gone.

by Anonymousreply 190August 22, 2022 1:20 AM

R176, architects are never humble.

by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2022 3:22 AM

Yes, architects are arrogant and want to demolish everything the previous generation of architects built.

The current generation of architects are grasping pigs.

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2022 3:32 AM

[quote]There are several people who claimed they saw Hitler in Chile and Argentina.

There are also people who claimed to have seen Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson in the years after their deaths. I don't see any difference.

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2022 3:34 AM

[quote] architects are never humble.

Ain't it the truth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2022 3:37 AM

[quote]You've made the assumption, [R64], that the body the Russians discovered was 100%

Read the report to which I've linked and argue with the science if you can. The identification of the dental remains was verified using X-rays of Hitler's skull which were taken from his personal medical files by the Americans when they captured his physician Dr. Theodor Morell in the weeks following the German surrender. They show damage to the ears and sinuses corresponding to his documented injuries from the July 20, 1944 bomb attempt. As for the coloration of the teeth, bear in mid that the Germans tried to burn his and Eva's bodies. The brown color of the teeth can be attributed to that, as well as aging over the better part of a century.

As for the skull, you're referring to a skull fragment which was found in the vicinity of the burial pit a year after the war. This was examined in 2009 by Dr. Nicholas Bellantoni who found female DNA on it. It was not attached to a body, nobody involved in its recovery ever claimed it was his. There were over a hundred bodies in the Chancellery courtyard by the end, it probably came from one of those. It's a red herring, it proves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 195August 22, 2022 3:48 AM

I also forgot to mention (DL REALLY needs a post editing function) that Hitler had notoriously shitty dental hygiene. Refused to see a dentist until things got so bad that he couldn't stand it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 196August 22, 2022 4:21 AM

^ "shitty dental"

An unpleasant image.

by Anonymousreply 197August 22, 2022 5:03 AM

I had no clue about Hugo Boss designing many of the Nazi uniforms. It's fascinating that the company survived from that...but also Coke, Kodak, IBM, and Bayer did big business with the Nazis. It puts into perspective countries pulling out of Russia these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 22, 2022 5:23 AM

For the few serious people on this thread here's quite a good lecture about Hitler's charisma from a scholar who interviewed many Nazis post war.

He also references interviews with Hitler's room mate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 22, 2022 5:29 AM

[quote] also Coke, Kodak, IBM, and Bayer did big business with the Nazis.

Slowly coming out of the depression all parties before the war encouraged and approved such International trade. And Bayer was mostly a German company anyway founded in the mid 19th century.

Hugo Boss uniforms were consistent with US and British uniforms of the era but with better styling and tailoring

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 22, 2022 5:52 AM

[Quote]Hugo Boss uniforms were consistent with US and British uniforms

Yes, they both had jackets and trousers.

by Anonymousreply 201August 22, 2022 6:15 AM

[quote]I had no clue about Hugo Boss designing many of the Nazi uniforms. It's fascinating that the company survived from that..

Hugo Boss wants it to be emphatically clear that the company DID NOT design the NAZI wear! The company only manufactured and produced the designs that were given to it!

[quote]Though the label did not design the iconic black SS uniforms for which it is often credited, it did manufacture numerous other uniforms for the Nazi regime. In 1933, Hugo Boss was producing the uniforms for the SS and Hitler Youth, as well as the standard Nazi brownshirts. When Germany began to more intensely remilitarize in 1938, Hugo Boss began to produce uniforms for the Nazi armed forces. By 1940, the Nazi collaborators at Hugo Boss were pulling in some 1,000,000 Reichsmarks, compared to 200,000 Reichsmarks in 1936. It was then that the company began to use the slave labor of concentration camp victims in order to produce the large orders that they were receiving at that time. The company used around 140 people from concentration camps to work in their factories, along with another 40 French prisoners of war. One former slave at a Hugo Boss factory, Jan Kondak, who was forced to work in the factory from 1942 to 1945, recalls, “In the barracks there were lice and fleas.” Many in these factories were worked to death or eventually sent to Auschwitz and Buchenwald to be killed. After the war, Boss was classified as an “activist” and a “supporter and beneficiary of National Socialism.” In 1946, he was fined and stripped of his right to own a company. After Boss’ death in 1948, the company would continue to live on under his son-in-law, Eugen Holy. Nowadays, Hugo Boss is a major luxury fashion house, selling high-end clothing and accessories around the world. In 1999, the company finally agreed to contribute to a fund that compensated former forced laborers.

by Anonymousreply 202August 22, 2022 8:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 22, 2022 8:47 AM

Who cares? They were magnificent uniforms.

by Anonymousreply 204August 22, 2022 10:19 AM

They were hawt. The boots…

by Anonymousreply 205August 22, 2022 10:23 AM

Weren't the concentration camp tattoos the numbers from the IBM tabulating machines that kept track of the victims?

by Anonymousreply 206August 22, 2022 10:43 AM

Thank for the scholar's texture on Hitler. R199 Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 207August 22, 2022 1:02 PM

Hitler's last surviving blood relatives are his great-nephews, three brothers who live on Long Island. All three brothers decided that they would never have biological children. They want the Hitler bloodline to end with them.

by Anonymousreply 208August 22, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]three brothers who live on Long Island

There are/were also two others in Austria. They also had no children.

by Anonymousreply 209August 22, 2022 4:53 PM

So they are eugenicists after all.

by Anonymousreply 210August 22, 2022 5:20 PM

What were his head measurements?

by Anonymousreply 211August 22, 2022 5:24 PM

Interesting R199 but unfortunetly nothing new here.

by Anonymousreply 212August 22, 2022 5:36 PM

There was a bellboy who said he had sex with SA leaders such as Ernst Rohm, Edmund Heines and Karl Ernst (all known today to be gay or bi). He also said he had sex with Hitler after being introduced to him by Rohm. He said he could describe what Hitler's penis looked like and produce correspondence with Rohm. He was soon convicted of treason in a secret trial, which we know very little about as all the files involving Hitler were destroyed.

The bellboy survived the camp and became a key witness in the Dachau trials. After the war he moved to Vienna and reinvented himself as a doctor and count.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 22, 2022 6:05 PM

Addressed in this book:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 22, 2022 6:46 PM

The OSS psychological profile of Hitler prepared for FDR and the General Staff.

[t]he belief that Hitler is homosexual has probably developed (a) from the fact that he does show so many feminine characteristics, and (b) from the fact that there were so many homosexuals in the Party during the early days and many continue to occupy important positions. It is probably true that Hitler calls Foerster "Bubi", which is a common nickname employed by homosexuals in addressing their partners. This alone, however, is not adequate proof that he has actually indulged in homosexual practices with Foerster, who is known to be a homosexual.

The report also concluded that Hitler loved pornography and masochistic sex, and in particular that he had "coprophagic tendencies or their milder manifestations" in his heterosexual relationships, and masochistically derived "sexual gratification from the act of having a woman urinate or defecate on him."

by Anonymousreply 215August 22, 2022 8:06 PM

🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 216August 22, 2022 10:47 PM

There are too many people trying to write history and turn Hitler into an anti-hero. MASSIVE fail. He was possibly the most evil human to ever exist.

by Anonymousreply 217August 22, 2022 11:00 PM

No, R217, Stalin and Mao were more evil.

Numerically.

by Anonymousreply 218August 22, 2022 11:11 PM

At there level, evil is vast and varied, and it is not a competition and cannot be reduced to number murdered or method of murder.

by Anonymousreply 219August 22, 2022 11:23 PM

[quote] Stalin and Mao were more evil. Numerically.

𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ 𝑜𝑓 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑔𝑒𝑑𝑦. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ 𝑜𝑓 𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑠 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑐

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 23, 2022 3:29 AM

Hitler was arguably more evil than Stalin. Stalin's orders ultimately caused lots of people to die, but most of them were unintended consequences. In contrast, Hitler literally set out to deliberately murder millions of totally & completely 100% innocent people whose only "crime" was to exist & be alive.

Even the ancient Viking raiders & Genghis Khan's minions had semi-utilitarian motives (even if they WERE just "rape & pillage"). The Nazis were the first time, ever, that ANYONE had engaged in deliberate, planned, and logistically-complicated wholesale genocide that they themselves knew was hurting their war effort... and didn't CARE, because they saw it as a desirable goal in itself.

Part of the reason the Allies doubted stories about the Holocaust prior to stumbling over the camps themselves was because it made no rational SENSE for the Nazis to divert valuable resources from their war effort just to murder civilians in purpose-built death camps. But they did it anyway.

Granted, later dictators like Pol Pot made the Nazis look like rank amateurs... but still, at the time, what the Nazis did was utterly without precedent in terms of deliberate intent & sheer magnitude.

by Anonymousreply 221August 23, 2022 4:57 AM

Speaking of statistics, this is an interesting one. Genghis Khan slaughtered 11% of the entire human race of that era. That wasn't an afterthought.

Equivalent slaughter today would be about 800 million

by Anonymousreply 222August 23, 2022 5:14 AM

[quote]because it made no rational SENSE for the Nazis to divert valuable resources from their war effort just to murder civilians in purpose-built death camps. But they did it anyway.

Rather ironic that each death in the Holocaust contributed to Germany's defeat.

by Anonymousreply 223August 23, 2022 6:21 AM

Fair points

There continues to be debate around why the Allies did not just bomb the railroad tracks leading to the death camps or the camps themselves--by late 1944 they knew about Auschwitz.

Partly it was because they feared that reprisals would be brutal and that Allied POWs would also be victims. Partly it was because the Germans were diverting troop and supply trains on the Eastern front so that they could continue to deport and kill Hungarian Jews.

As R221 points out, the Shoah is the only time in history mass murder was so efficiently organized using an industrial model, with victims tracked and recorded, healthy adults worked to death rather than murdered on the spot, and, most shocking of all, young children murdered en masse.

That is what always sticks with me--that German women took groups of 4 and 5 year-olds and let them to the gas chamber, letting them think they were going to have a shower, and then stood outside the door while they were gassed to death.

by Anonymousreply 224August 23, 2022 12:47 PM

We had no idea they were gassed to death! We thought they came the door on the other side, clean and ready to be safe and fed and receive good medical care at this generous German camp to protect the schmutzige jüdische Rasse

by Anonymousreply 225August 23, 2022 1:09 PM

[quote]There continues to be debate around why the Allies did not just bomb the railroad tracks leading to the death camps or the camps themselves

And, here I thought it was because the Allies did not believe that such camps existed.

by Anonymousreply 226August 23, 2022 1:26 PM

I remember reading once somewhere, possibly Bridget Hamman's Hitler's Vienna, that a small article from a Viennese newspaper (I think) had been found which described an "A. Hitler" as having been pulled from a river after nearly drowning. It was during the time Hitler was living in Vienna. How he got in the river wasn't known. He admitted later in his life to having intense discomfort being on water. Is it possible the down-and-out Hitler attempted suicide as a young man? There's also a story about him being pulled from a river after nearly drowning when he was a schoolboy. I'm pretty sure they're separate stories though.

by Anonymousreply 227August 23, 2022 1:26 PM

Allies bombing the camps = dead prisoners.

It's not exactly rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 228August 23, 2022 1:33 PM

I'm certain if there was a valid contemporary newspaper account of Hitler being rescued in a possible suicide attempt it would have received much attention from documentations, philosophers, and dramatists.

by Anonymousreply 229August 23, 2022 1:34 PM

What is certain to me is that by the time he entered the German army in WWI, Hitler had already faced the death of siblings and both parents and if one of the near-death drownings stories is true, his own. Minimally he felt an existential threat during his Vienna years, and his courage in the face of death in WWI has been pretty well established. The NS movement itself has been described as a cult of death. Suicide was never been far from Hitler's mind throughout his rise to power -- he behaved very recklessly in the Beer Hall Putsch -- and his morbid attitude continued throughout his remaining years.

by Anonymousreply 230August 23, 2022 2:17 PM

drowning*

by Anonymousreply 231August 23, 2022 2:18 PM

Quick History Lesson

Hungary's 800K Jews were not deported to the death camps because Hungary was a German ally. )While the Hungarian government was not kind to its Jews it wasn't mass murdering them.)

In 1944 with the Soviet Red Army bearing down, the Hungarians surrendered to the Soviets and, to protect the oil fields they relied on, the Germans swooped in, occupying Hungary and installing a puppet regime.

Along with the Wehrmacht came Adolf Eichmann and the Gestapo, who began rounding up Hungarian Jews in order to send them to Auschwitz to kill them. This was a few month before D-Day when it was clear the Germans has lost the war.

Auschwitz had mostly been shut down at that time, all of the Polish and other Jews having been killed in the intervening years.

Enough prisoners had escaped that the Allies knew what was happening there and the Germans knew that they knew--Eichmann tried bartering for the lives of Hungary's Jews by trading them for millions in supplies and equipment, which would only have prolonged the war.

American Jewish organizations at the time had tried to get FDR to bomb the rail lines into Auschwitz to stop the deportations. D-Day had already happened at this point and the war was close to an end and the fact that the Germans were operating death camps was an open secret, though the extent of the camps and the number of victims came as a surprise when they were liberated.

The Germans were so insistent on killing hundreds of thousands of Hungarian Jews that they diverted troop and supply trains from the Eastern front to do so, hampering their own war effort. So that, plus the fear that the Germans would kill Allied POWs in reprisal, not to mention countless prisoners (the Allies could not grasp the reality of the camps) kept them from doing so.

As the Russians advanced into Poland, the Germans marched the remaining Jews deeper into Germany to camps there. It baffles historians--and is seen as a sign of their depravity--that they did not either kill the Jews on the spot or just leave them there. They really did think they could pull off a victory still and that the half-starved Jews would somehow make good slave labor.

These are the "Death Marches" -- winter 1945. Again, the Germans tied up transportation and troops that might otherwise have helped their Army, clogging roads their troops could have escaped on. And they truly believed they could cover up evidence of the camps, which also indicates they knew they would be judged for them.

It is also why the majority of Shoah survivors are Hungarian--they were the last to be sent to the camps--most of the Polish and other Jews had been killed by 1943.

by Anonymousreply 232August 23, 2022 3:12 PM

I'm gay. I have had better luck with women than Hitler did.

by Anonymousreply 233August 23, 2022 3:13 PM

Interesting R232, but not on topic.

by Anonymousreply 234August 23, 2022 3:15 PM

[quote] In April 1944 Brand was approached by SS-Obersturmbannführer Adolf Eichmann, head of the German Reich Security Head Office department IV B4 (Jewish affairs), who had arrived in Budapest to organize the deportations. Eichmann proposed that Brand broker a deal between the SS and the United States or Britain, in which the Nazis would exchange one million Jews for 10,000 trucks for the Eastern front and large quantities of tea and other goods. It was the most ambitious of a series of proposals between the SS and Jewish leaders. Eichmann called it "Blut gegen Waren" ("blood for goods").[5]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 23, 2022 3:16 PM

[quote] On April 24, 1945, the satellite labor camps around Dachau were being cleared out by the Nazis ahead of the advancing Allied troops, and some 15,000 prisoners were first marched to the Dachau camp, only to be sent southwards on a death march towards the Austrian border,[21] the path for which generally headed southwards, partly along the eastern shore of the Starnberger See, taking a left turn to the east in the town of Eurasburg and heading towards the Tegernsee.

[quote] By the second of May 1945, only some of the 6,000 prisoners sent on the death march were still alive; those in failing health had been shot as they fell. On that day, as the eastwards-marching prisoners had passed through Bad Tölz and were nearing Waakirchen, nearly sixty kilometers (37 miles) south of Dachau, several hundred of the dead and dying were lying on open ground, nearly all covered in freshly fallen snow. They were spotted by advance scouts of the U.S. Army's 522nd Field Artillery Battalion

VE Day is May 8th. So they were doing this right up to the bitter end. Not defending Berlin or fighting off the Allies. Killing Jews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 23, 2022 3:26 PM

People saw. People claimed. People posted.

People lie. People are stupid. People are fame-whores. People are mentally disturbed. People are mistaken.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237August 23, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote] is the only time in history mass murder was so efficiently organized

We don't know how Stalin's mass murders were organized. Nor Mao's.

by Anonymousreply 238August 23, 2022 10:53 PM

What does “an intellectual discussion about Hitler” mean. Why the word intellectual- do you suppose historians use that word? No wonder the OP has been crossed out. Troll bait.

by Anonymousreply 239August 23, 2022 11:13 PM

I agree R239.

The word 'Intellectual' implies people offering up their hypotheses without regard to documentation and uttering up sophistries,

by Anonymousreply 240August 23, 2022 11:17 PM

I believe OP meant intellectual because he wanted a serious discussion and not a thread filled with trolling.

by Anonymousreply 241August 23, 2022 11:22 PM

I read somewhere that Hitler's net worth was $5B. I believe it all went back to Germany. But, is there an accounting somewhere of the Hitler estate? Even if it wasn't $5B how much money were in bank accounts? How much real estate. etc?

by Anonymousreply 242August 23, 2022 11:47 PM

R236. I'm enjoying your posts.

Yes, as the war was coming to an end and the Germans saw defeat near different types of chaos came into play but the slaughter continued..

In the case of my grandmother who had been in the camps nearly the entire war she told me about the Nazi unit she traveled with. It's a unusual story.

She was part of a medical team made up of 4 prisoners who traveled with and served this Nazi General and his troops. She told me this particular unit resorted to shooting prisoners in satellite camps as they made their way to Berlin by train.

They went from camp to camp as they retreated toward Berlin and shot every prisoner in every camp. No attempt to hide their crimes. Utter mayhem and terror.. My grandmother thought she'd be killed at every stop.

Then the train was obliged to stop in the countryside where the tracks had been bombed and the Brits and Americans were waiting for them.

by Anonymousreply 243August 24, 2022 12:08 AM

[quote] I read somewhere that Hitler's net worth was $5B.

The total I don't know but Hitler was smart in business. Besides the royalties he received for Mein Kamph he also made certain he received a royalty for each postage stamp that used his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 24, 2022 12:18 AM

[quote]They went from camp to camp as they retreated toward Berlin and shot every prisoner in every camp. No attempt to hide their crimes. Utter mayhem and terror.. My grandmother thought she'd be killed at every stop.

WOW! What a story... or life altering event! Thanks, for sharing this!

by Anonymousreply 245August 24, 2022 12:19 AM

Being Führer was pretty profitable. On the face of it, Hitler did not accept a salary for the position in order to look selfless, but it isn't like he needed the 45,000 Reichsmarks per year, so the gesture (which he loved to harp on - "German people, give us four years, and I swear to you, just as we, just as I have taken this office, so shall I leave it. I have done it neither for salary nor for wages; I have done it for your sake!") cost him nothing. Having no employment himself while leading the Nazi party in the 1920s, he depended on party funds and donors for the most part. Mein Kampf sold OK in the 1920s, but hardly was making Hitler rich, earning him 19,843 Reichsmarks in 1925, and 15,448 Reichsmark in 1929 for instance. As he rose in stature in the early '30s though, sales rose a bit, and then when he became Chancellor, they soared. 1933 saw him take in 1,232,335 Reichsmarks off of sales! Even better for him, it was tax free. To be sure, it wasn't originally supposed to be, he just didn't pay taxes on his income that year. There was an investigation initially, but who is going to tell Hitler he has to pay his 400,000 Reichsmarks in backtaxes!? Well, the tax office briefly tried to, but were told to screw off, and in the end, he was retroactively declared tax exempt, so didn't have to pay taxes on any of his royalties from the book, which sold some 10-12 million copies by the time of his death, earning him a very substantial personal fortune. The papers detailing his failure to pay were even destroyed, and the head of the tax office given a 2,000 Reichsmarks raise (tax free as well) for doing so.

In addition, Hitler received royalties from newspapers when they printed his speeches (which of course they pretty much were required to!), and even demanded that he be payed for the use of his portrait on German stamps, which earned him at least in excess of 50 million Reichsmarks, since he received a check from the Ministry for 50 million Reichsmarks. And while he didn't receive the official salary or expense account (an additional 18,000 Reichsmarks) that came with his office, that was peanuts to the 24 million Reichsmarks earmarked in the state budget by 1942 to be used at Hitler's personal direction.

Beyond state corruption and abuse of his position, plenty of other underhandedness kept Hitler living large though. German business interests such as IG Farben and Deutsche Bank donated millions of Reichsmarks to the 'Adolf Hitler Spende'. Initially started in early 1933 to fund the Nazi party during the elections that shortly followed Hitler's instatement of Chancellor, once the party no longer had to worried about elections, let alone marginally contested ones, it essentially was just an expense account for Hitler. And of course beyond that, anyone wishing to curry favor would be happy to bestow lavish gifts on Hitler, Kershaw describes his birthday in 1939 thus:

by Anonymousreply 246August 24, 2022 12:21 AM

Speer, by now the firmly established court favourite, presented a delighted Hitler with a four-metre model of the gigantic triumphal arch that would crown the rebuilt Berlin. Captain Hans Baur, Hitler’s pilot, gave him a model of the four-engined Focke-Wulf 200 ‘Condor’, under construction to take service as the ‘Führer Machine’ in the summer. Row upon row of further gifts – marble-white nude statues, bronze casts, Meissen porcelain, oil-paintings (some valuable, including a Lenbach and even a Titian, but mostly the standard dreary exhibits found in the House of German Art in Munich), tapestries, rare coins, antique weapons, and a mass of other presents, many of them kitsch (like the cushions embroidered with Nazi emblems or ‘Heil mein Führer’) – were laid out on long tables in the hall where Bismarck had presided over the Berlin Congress of 1878. Hitler admired some, made fun of others, and ignored most.

As an interesting afternote, Hitler's estate reverted to the Bavarian government upon his death, which included the rights to Mein Kampf, allowing them to prevent the publication of in Germany, but it will enter the public domain this coming January, allowing it the publication to happen, although with the internet existing, this might not be as big of a deal as it could have seemed otherwise.

Kershaw's "Hitler", Evans' "Third Reich Trilogy", and Tooze's "Wages of Destruction"

by Anonymousreply 247August 24, 2022 12:22 AM

Thank you R243- that is a great story and sadly not all that uncommon. So many survivors really never understood why they weren't killed

by Anonymousreply 248August 24, 2022 12:43 AM

[quote] a great story

I am wary of emotionally-charged stories.

by Anonymousreply 249August 24, 2022 12:46 AM

You're welcome. Yes, my grandmother's story is unusual. To survive almost four years in camps? Few did. She lied about being a surgical nurse. This is what saved her.

I'd like to see her story on film. She also went to Spain to fight in the Spanish Civil War. She was outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2022 1:08 AM

Great contribution, R247.

by Anonymousreply 251August 24, 2022 2:34 AM

Could his hatred of Jews stem from his rejection from art school? What a different world it would've been if they'd just let him in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 24, 2022 5:36 PM

Here's why he was rejected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 24, 2022 5:38 PM

^ [quote]he was also something of an aspiring artist as well, and[bold]in his teen years applied to the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts not once, but twice. In 1907, the school accepted 75% of its applicants[/bold], so you had to be pretty bad not to get in; Hitler was one of the 28 who got shut out

[quote]In fact, while Hitler had little to no concern for his human subjects, his paintings and sketches of buildings are exacting in their geometric precision, to the extent that at least one of the instructors at the art academy encouraged him to give up painting and become an architect instead; unfortunately, this would have required Hitler to return to high school and pass some of the math classes he had previously failed, which he had no interest in doing

I don't think the paintings are as bad as people like to say. All smacks of bandwagoning.

by Anonymousreply 254August 24, 2022 5:47 PM

R246/R247, is it true one of the reasons Mein Kempf sales boomed after Hitler came to power is that the "State" gave it as a wedding gift to every couple that got married?

by Anonymousreply 255August 24, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote]I don't think the paintings are as bad as people like to say. All smacks of bandwagoning.

WHAT? His paintings are on the level of Bob Paris the late PBS artist. Maybe Hitler should have tried out for television. Although television was a rather new medium at that time. But, you follow my intent and meaning...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 24, 2022 6:52 PM

Even Hitler couldn't stand his own art;

[quote]As for Hitler's own art, he allegedly had his paintings collected and destroyed when he was in power. But several hundred are known to survive, including four watercolors confiscated by the U.S. military during World War II. A number of his paintings were recovered after the Second World War and have been sold at auction for tens of thousands of dollars. Others were seized by the United States Army and are still held by its government. General opinion on his work is mixed; it has been criticized as being cold and unfeeling, with many arguing that Hitler had greater talent as an architect, demonstrated by how he addressed architecture in his paintings as compared to other details such as trees or people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 24, 2022 7:06 PM

LOL. It is not wrong to love anyone. Nobody gives any fucks who or what you love, turd.

by Anonymousreply 258August 24, 2022 7:10 PM

R238, And that is the point. The Nazis kept meticulous records. That the others did not is ipso facto evidence of their INefficiency.

by Anonymousreply 259August 24, 2022 9:01 PM

I don't know about Mao, but Stalin did NOT have any death factories, where an entire trainload of thousands of people would be brought in, murdered and cremated in a span on a couple of hours, like Auschwitz.

by Anonymousreply 260August 24, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote] I don't know

That is the point. We're expected to get emotional about the killings we know about but turn a blind eye/ear to the mega-killings we don't know about.

by Anonymousreply 261August 24, 2022 10:29 PM

I think the painting is kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 262August 24, 2022 10:40 PM

No, Stalin didn't send millions off to camps. He sent them to Serbia and other parts of the country where there were draughts, famines and no food and they starved to death.

by Anonymousreply 263August 24, 2022 10:46 PM

^ Same thing. That's no reason why we shouldn't be expected to get emotional about the thousands and millions of unknown unnamed humans.

by Anonymousreply 264August 24, 2022 10:49 PM

"Stalin didn't send millions off to camps. He sent them to Serbia and other parts of the country"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 265August 24, 2022 11:23 PM

I meant Siberia. Time to end happy hour and get some dinner.r

by Anonymousreply 266August 24, 2022 11:29 PM

I heard Hitler had his eyes on Fredericksburg the Texan capitol of Virginia because of the millions of friendly German Shepherds on the Amish farms.

by Anonymousreply 267August 24, 2022 11:29 PM

I've read Hitler planned to re-install Edward back on the UK throne to make the UK a puppet state. What were his plans for the U.S.?

by Anonymousreply 268August 24, 2022 11:37 PM

Lebensborn locations throughout America's upper mid-west.

by Anonymousreply 269August 24, 2022 11:50 PM

Japan bombed the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 270August 24, 2022 11:52 PM

[quote]I've read Hitler planned to re-install Edward back on the UK throne to make the UK a puppet state.

It's funny how the Royal Family is trying to "walk away" from this history. According to some documentary that one of Betty's sons did there is no evidence to support that allegation. Although it should be noted that Eddy was pretty miffed over the way that he and his whore were treated. Churchill was very skilled in keeping them both in line.

[quote]The Duke had a long private conversation with Hitler, but it is uncertain what they discussed, as the minutes of their meeting were lost during the war. The Duchess took afternoon tea with Hitler's deputy, Rudolf Hess. Hitler was sympathetic to the Windsors and treated the Duchess like royalty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 25, 2022 12:25 AM

[quote] this history… it is uncertain what they discussed

R271 Allegations and gossip is not history.

History is a record of past events. An allegation is not a record.

by Anonymousreply 272August 25, 2022 12:37 AM

Good luck teasing the truth from either.

by Anonymousreply 273August 25, 2022 12:58 AM

[quote][R271] Allegations and gossip is not history. History is a record of past events. An allegation is not a record.

-George Washington cut down the cherry tree.

-Christopher Columbus founded the United States

-The United States never lost a war

-United States exceptionalism

-Cleopatra was a white woman.

-Italian men have HUGE shlongs. Hmm... wait a minute... there's truth to that.

by Anonymousreply 274August 25, 2022 1:04 AM

Weird to think how many neo-Nazis there are. It should take longer, but maybe just a couple of generations and people start flocking back to true monstrosities, like dogs to vomit as the saying goes.

I think there will be people wearing Nazi armbands at the 2024 Republican National Convention. There will be some murmuring and some mumbling about how the media is making too much of it and it's a big tent and all that shit, but they will be there, they will be delegates, and they will be accepted as just a part of the Republican coalition.

by Anonymousreply 275August 25, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote] I think there will be …There will be …they will be there

R275, this thread is supposed to be a serious discussion about the past, not a place for to make prophecies about the future.

by Anonymousreply 276August 25, 2022 1:20 AM

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.

Hitler and the neoNazis are the embodiment of this quote. He doesn't matter because some things happened in the 1930s and the 1940s. He matters most because plenty of people, especially plenty of young men, are wandering around wanting to do it all again.

by Anonymousreply 277August 25, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote] this quote.

Which quote?

by Anonymousreply 278August 25, 2022 1:24 AM

"The past is never dead. It isn't even past." William Faulkner, some damn novel.

by Anonymousreply 279August 25, 2022 1:26 AM

Hitler art? Much of what we see is fake. Art forgeries were a big problem in his lifetime, and even bigger later. He was not in the habit of having his own works destroyed when they occasionally turned up (they were purchased back where possible), but rather the fakes. He went after fakers legally and otherwise. The assessment that he made up to 2000 works is probably high -- the number is more likely a few hundred, and the uncontested originals are closer to a couple dozen. It is true that he struggled with human forms and scale -- as did many successful artists who learned to avoid them in their pictures, focusing on landscape and still lifes or even portraits -- it's not an easy thing to master, especially if you're self taught. Hitler would've definitely found a home in theater and opera set making, or even interior design and decoration, or possibly architecture. He balked when offered an interview with a famous set designer in Vienna - a pivotal moment left hanging and one which would affect the lives of millions.

by Anonymousreply 280August 25, 2022 1:33 AM

But how can a name virtually disappear from a country? Surely there should be many people before and since bearing the name. He even ruined "Adolf".

by Anonymousreply 281August 25, 2022 1:42 AM

I knew an Adolph Hutter once. It was just so too close.

by Anonymousreply 282August 25, 2022 1:42 AM

^. Adolf Walbrook changed his name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283August 25, 2022 1:54 AM

Graph documenting how Adolph fell from popularity as an American baby name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 25, 2022 2:09 AM

Pardon me in not being well-versed on this subject as quite a few of you are but does anyone know of any NAZI individual who regretted and apologized for their complicity in the NAZI regime? Or, did all of them lie by saying that they were unaware and/or was just following orders?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285August 25, 2022 2:36 AM

They either were hanged, committed suicide, or escaped justice, r285.

"Sorry?" No. Nein.

by Anonymousreply 286August 25, 2022 3:51 AM

Thanks R286, but I 'got" that. I just thought that there might have been some stories of some NAZIs asking "God" to have mercy on their soul; a request for forgiveness from those affected; and/or a realization of what they did was wrong. Great dramatization, huh? I also wonder what and how the children of these people dealt with the knowledge of what their parent(s) did as a "day job".

by Anonymousreply 287August 25, 2022 6:46 AM

Of course there were NAZIs who hated what they did. There are cases in the Nuremburg Trials of camp guards who sought to get sent to the front lines to fight rather than continue working in the camps.

Of those who were later prosecuted some broke down during testimony. Many of these guys were given prison sentences rather than hanged.

by Anonymousreply 288August 25, 2022 8:27 AM

r288, the Nazis were also meticulous about isolating Nazi staff from ever seeing the direct results of their work. The camps were designed with compartmentalized flow, and guards & staff from one section didn't interact with those upstream or downstream.

The staff who loaded up the Zyklon-B walked into a spotlessly-clean shower room, did there thing, and left. Different ones pressed the button, and left. The clean-up was performed by prisoners who were obviously traumatized, but saw it as their duty to try and at least give them a dignified cremation. The point is, everyone could mentally take a step back & blame whatever horrors they dealt with on the previous group of staff/guards... and no German had to see the direct result of their own actions. The majority "knew" (lowercase-k) what was happening, but never put themselves in a position of having to "Know" (uppercase-K) and see it directly.

Part of the reason FOR the death camps was, normal German soldiers WERE completely traumatized by murdering villagers (including women & children), and they had a *huge* problem with soldiers committing suicide (or the equivalent of "suicide by cop", where they'd desert knowing fully well they'd be captured & killed within minutes or hours). Nazi leaders treated it like an industrial problem to be solved through compartmentalized processes, and camps like Auschwitz were the horrific result.

Genocide was nothing new, but *industrialized* genocide -- bureaucratic, sanitized, and cloaked in "corporate-speak" -- WAS new.

by Anonymousreply 289August 25, 2022 3:55 PM

Yes R289

The SS had tried to use regular Wehrmacht troops called "Einsatzgruppen" to kill the Jews of the occupied Soviet Union

This was not just "murdering villagers" -- it was gathering up thousands of people, making them dig their own graves (big trenches), stripping them naked and then lining them up and gunning them down, women and children included, and then shooting the ones who tried to run away or resist.

These were not committed Nazis. ,just recruits, most of whom were very young and many of whom were shocked and horrified by what they had to do.

As you noted, the mental health effects were very bad, which is why they looked for a different, less messy solution that the committed Nazis could handle without the Army's involvement.

by Anonymousreply 290August 25, 2022 5:18 PM

[quote] Babi Yar (Russian: Ба́бий Яр) or Babyn Yar (Ukrainian: Бабин Яр) is a ravine in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv and a site of massacres carried out by Nazi Germany's forces during its campaign against the Soviet Union in World War II. The first and best documented of the massacres took place on 29–30 September 1941, killing some 33,771 Jews. The decision to murder all the Jews in Kyiv was made by the military governor Generalmajor Kurt Eberhard, the Police Commander for Army Group South, SS-Obergruppenführer Friedrich Jeckeln, and the Einsatzgruppe C Commander Otto Rasch. Sonderkommando 4a as the sub-unit of Einsatzgruppe C, along with the aid of the SD and Order Police battalions with the Ukrainian Auxiliary Police backed by the Wehrmacht, carried out the orders] Sonderkommando 4a and the 45th Battalion of the German Order Police conducted the shootings. Servicemen of the 303rd Battalion of the German Order Police at this time guarded the outer perimeter of the execution site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 25, 2022 5:20 PM

[quote] The Odessa massacre was the mass murder of the Jewish population of Odessa and surrounding towns in the Transnistria Governorate during the autumn of 1941 and the winter of 1942 while it was under Romanian control. Depending on the accepted terms of reference and scope, the Odessa massacre refers either to the events of October 22–24, 1941 in which some 25,000 to 34,000 Jews were shot or burned, or to the murder of well over 100,000 Ukrainian Jews in the town and the areas between the Dniester and Bug rivers, during the Romanian and German occupation which took place following the massacre. As of 2018, it was estimated that up to 30,000 people, mostly Ukrainian Jews, were murdered in the actual massacre, which occurred October 22–23, 1941.[1] The primary perpetrators were Romanian soldiers, Einsatzgruppe SS and local ethnic Germans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 25, 2022 5:23 PM

HITLER IS DEAD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 26, 2022 9:31 AM

R293 Hitler is dead.

Sorry, the more I research his so-called suicide, the more I'm convinced he escaped. This was agreed upon propaganda to show the war ended and the axis leader died.

by Anonymousreply 294August 26, 2022 11:03 AM

R294, if you think Adolf Hitler escaped Germany and continued to live to an old age, then you don't know Joseph Stalin and the NKVD (predecessor of the KGB).

Stalin lived until 1953. If Hitler had managed to escape Germany, Stalin and the entire Soviet espionage apparatus would have dogged Hitler to the four corners of the earth. You simply didn't fuck over Joe Stalin and stab him in the back the way Hitler did and live to tell about it.

by Anonymousreply 295August 26, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote]Sorry, the more I research his so-called suicide, the more I'm convinced he escaped.

Here’s some real research that says otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296August 26, 2022 1:17 PM

Which Aryan archetype would you fuck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 26, 2022 1:31 PM

This is labeled "German parents with a child who was born in a Lebensborn home."

Die heile Familie: Deutsche Eltern mit einem Kind, das in einem Lebensborn-Heim geboren wurde. Neben Waisenkindern von Eltern, die die Nazis beim Krieg im Osten ermordet hatten, wurden in Lebensborn-Heimen unehelich gezeugte Kinder geboren. Nicht selten waren die Kinder von Nazischergen mit einer Geliebten gezeugt worden. Um daheim bei der Ehefrau nicht aufzufliegen, wurden Geliebte und Kind ins Lebensborn-Heim abgeschoben.

M'kay..... That daddy is a lady!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 26, 2022 1:35 PM

The burnt corpse that they claimed was Hitler turned out to be female. The later examined dental records indicate the false teeth were similar to Hitler, but not that it was him.

by Anonymousreply 299August 26, 2022 1:44 PM

Hitler was a hermaphrodite.

by Anonymousreply 300August 26, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote]The burnt corpse that they claimed was Hitler turned out to be female.

No. There was a skull fragment which was found near the burial pit a year after war. This was examined in 2009 by Dr. Nicholas Bellantoni who found female DNA on it. It was not attached to a body, nobody involved in its recovery ever claimed it was his. It’s a red herring, it proves nothing. There was no corpse which was misidentified as Hitler’s.

by Anonymousreply 301August 26, 2022 1:52 PM

Hitler and his top henchmen had numerous escape routes out of Berlin and Germany. For a group that was super organized and planned everything with multiple back up plans, there is no way they would have just sat there are killed themselves rather than get out.

by Anonymousreply 302August 26, 2022 2:10 PM

Hitler was morbidly obsessed with not suffering the same fate as his good friend, Mussolini. Of having his body mutilated and hung up on public display. It is ironic, imo, that Putin has the very same fear of dying like his good friend, Gaddafi. His health was gone, his country almost destroyed, and he was facing certain death by hanging or worse. Of course he took the easy way out.

by Anonymousreply 303August 26, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote]Hitler and his top henchmen had numerous escape routes out of Berlin and Germany

Says who? And why didn't his "top henchmen" use these? Goering, HImmler, Goebbels, Speer, why didn't they escape? The ones who did escape (Eichmann, Mengele, Klaus Barbie, Walter Rauff et al) were all middle level operatives who weren't being hunted like the big players were. That's one of the reasons they were able to escape.

And what did he have to look forward to in exile? Living as a proverbial bird in a gilded cage? Watching the world move on past him, seeing his failure every time he looked in a mirror?

by Anonymousreply 304August 26, 2022 2:33 PM

He would have been executed for genocide, wouldn't he?

by Anonymousreply 305August 26, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]He would have been executed for genocide, wouldn't he?

Yes, which is why he took himself out before anyone else could. In the end, his fate was the only thing over which he still had any control.

by Anonymousreply 306August 26, 2022 2:39 PM

R306- Thank you. All of the powerful Nazi's carried cyanide pills to take in case they were caught. None of them planned to be publicly executed if they could commit suicide first.

by Anonymousreply 307August 26, 2022 2:42 PM

On Stalin I will point out only one these things, he did the same "work-to-death" routine as the SS death camps and authorised mass liquidations along Einsatzgruppen massacres (which served only to fuel eagerness of collaboration with the Germans, Stalin knew that and who would the Nazi collaborators target, and he didn't care, as usual), the reality of living in a gulag was harsh enough to make committed Communists breakdown in fits of crying as happened to M. Gorky when he visited the proto-gulag Solovki special prison. He also targeted several ethnic groups with ethnicity as the sole basis because they perceived these groups to be "unloyal", Jews included, the story of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee is terribly tragic, not even being married to an apparatchik saved people like Polina Molotova, wife of foreign minister V. Molotov. When judging Stalin you have to see he was immensely despicable, even at the heights of famine in Ukraine he was shipping grain to fulfil the deals the USSR had with capitalist companies, in this sense he was as destructive as Hitler who to fulfil his delirious dreams was more than willing to sacrifice millions of "degenerate" Germans.

To OP, don't waste your time with documentaries, they are generally worthless but particularly when they are related to the NS-Zeit, do not even trust the participation of "big names", I still remember when R. Evans got conned by some Russian TV station to participate in a documentary about Hitler the magician and his imp cronies. Several standard sources have been mentioned already, I would recommend The Hitler of History by John Lukacs, it does have some defects but it does offer a good general view of Hitler and Nazi historical literature.

Relating to Hitler and him being some sort of druggie, I'd point two things, the first to came with this narrative was David Irving, known Hitler sympathiser (who seeks to negate Hitler's agency related to genocide) who discovered the purported diaries of Dr. Morell (purported, because he's been conned a few times already, and so have been more respectable historians like T.-R., you know, hunger for money...). I do think this is one of the arguments he came up to negate or at least lessen Hitler's agency, that he was to unhealthy and drugged, and under the control of an evil coterie who destroyed his "legacy" by ordering these things. But, and this is the second point, anybody that knows a thing or two about Hitler knows he was an hypochondriac whose only real conditions for most of his life were stomach cramps (which supposedly made him quite flatulent) and stress/insomnia, later on some sort of illness was developing but all opinions on it are speculation, more or less well-founded. Hitler passed through the hands of several doctors, probably at times he had two or more personal doctors at the same time, his last doctor was L. Stumpfegger, but he had had many others, and it was a common point of contention, in short many wanted to snatch Hitler away from the SS and their personnel, one of them was Martin Bormann, Hitler's party secretary, who as the war neared accumulated more and more power. What I mean, is that Hitler passed through many hands, he was a know faker, and he had whatever he wanted, doubt he ever took most of what was prescribed, all that entangled in power dynamics. Hitler did have two testes, though, that was something the Soviets came up with, but Anglo-American authorities had sources that contradicted it, so since very early that was disapproved.

Hitler died in Berlin, the rest is nonsense imagined by people with too many imagination, had he lived so would have so many of his fanatics, but the truth is they followed him to the grave. All of those that lived the last days of the Reich agree on these major points, that Hitler went mad with Göring and Himmler's betrayals, redacted the political testament and ordered their deaths, arranged his private will, married Eva, arranged for their bodies to be cremated and committed suicide. Most of the fanatical Nazis followed him in that.

by Anonymousreply 308August 26, 2022 2:58 PM

Speer implied that if Hitler even once lost his self composure or cracked under pressure his critics and enemies would've seized upon the moment and the whole Hitlerian system would've collapsed. He emphasized however that Hitler never showed signs of madness, in his opinion, and only had a full on nervous breakdown at the time of the fall of Berlin in April, 1945.

by Anonymousreply 309August 26, 2022 4:08 PM

I would take anything Albert Speer said, implied or otherwise, with a huge grain of salt.

Anybody with as much blood on his hands, probably if not as much as Himmler, as Albert Speer and was able to talk his way out of the crimes he committed has to be a self-serving psychopath and sociopath of epic proporations.

Speer should have been dangling at the end of a rope even more than Alfred Rosenberg, Julius Streicher, or Ernst Kaltenbrunner.

by Anonymousreply 310August 26, 2022 4:20 PM

When I was growing up this book was at my grandparents' house, it probably belonged to my father or uncle. During WWII the OSS commissioned a psychological analysis of Hitler, and the psychoanalyst predicted that Hitler would kill himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 26, 2022 4:54 PM

Speer was totally complicit in the Holocaust, but he managed to convince people he knew nothing about it. It wasn't until years after Spears' death that the full extent of his involvement was known. Had that knowledge been available at the Nuremberg trials, he would've been sentenced to death.

by Anonymousreply 312August 26, 2022 4:56 PM

Hitler lost his composure hundreds of times and turned into a raving lunatic in front of thousands.

by Anonymousreply 313August 26, 2022 7:11 PM

r56 And for those who don't want to choose, I've just comes across this video of both Dans talking about crusades for almost an hour and eye-fucking each other throughout. In my mind, at least. Do notice the difference in teeth as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 26, 2022 9:38 PM

What happened to the children:

Albert Speer Jr., Architect and Son of Hitler Confidant, Dies at 83

By Jack Ewing Sept. 21, 2017 FRANKFURT — Albert Speer Jr., an internationally prominent architect who sought throughout his life to distance himself from the dark legacy of his father, a member of Adolf Hitler’s inner circle, died on Sept. 15 at his home in Frankfurt. He was 83.

His death was announced by his architectural firm, AS & P, in Frankfurt. It said the cause was complications of surgery he had undergone after falling at his home.

Mr. Speer was the eldest of six children of Albert Speer, one of Hitler’s closest confidants. The elder Speer was Hitler’s chief architect and later his armaments minister, and was convicted of war crimes for his use of slave labor.

The younger Mr. Speer’s impact on urban landscapes was ultimately far greater than that of his father, whose grandiose architectural plans for the Nazi Third Reich were never realized. Albert Jr.’s firm designed master plans for Expo 2000 in Hanover, Germany; the Nigerian capital city, Abuja; and a so-called Automobile City on the outskirts of Shanghai, close to a large Volkswagen factory.

He had a particularly strong impact on Frankfurt, his home city, where he served as an adviser to the municipal government for many years and worked on master plans for the European Central Bank, as well as for a new section of the city known as the Europaviertel, which was built on land reclaimed from railroad freight yards.

Albert Speer Jr. was born in Berlin on July 29, 1934, only days before Hitler declared himself Führer, or leader, of Germany. Albert Jr. grew up in Berchtesgaden, Germany, the Alpine village used by Hitler as a retreat. Films from the 1930s show a young Mr. Speer playing on the veranda of Hitler’s villa while the dictator looks on. But Mr. Speer once told an interviewer that he had only vague memories of that time.

As Hitler’s chief architect, the elder Mr. Speer designed the Reichskanzlei in Berlin, the regime’s seat of power, and formulated extravagant plans to remake the German capital as a showcase of Nazi power, including erecting a People’s Hall in Berlin capable of holding 180,000 people.

Appointed Germany’s armaments minister, Albert Speer used his organizational talents to maintain weapons production, largely through slave labor, and prolong the war. He was convicted during the Nuremberg trials and sentenced to 20 years in prison. He became one of the few top Nazis to express remorse for the regime’s crimes.

After he was imprisoned for war crimes, the Speer family moved in with Albert Jr.’s grandparents in Heidelberg. Albert Jr. developed a severe stutter, which he later overcame. He initially trained as a carpenter, then studied architecture at the Technical University of Munich before opening his own firm in Frankfurt in 1964.

Mr. Speer insisted that his decision to become an architect had little to do with his father. “I could draw well, I could express myself well, I had ideas,” he told an interviewer from ZDF, a German broadcaster, in 2005. “My father played almost no role.”

Over the years Mr. Speer made a name for himself specializing in large projects, often overseas. They included a criminal court complex in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; a government building complex in Changchun, China; and the campus of Fudan University in Shanghai.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Ingmar Speer, an actress known professionally as Ingmar Zeisberg. He had no children. Information on other survivors was not available.

As an architect, Mr. Speer said he had striven to give his projects a human scale that respected local culture and the environment.

He told the newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung in 2010 that he avoided talking about his father, who died in 1981.

“I have tried my whole life to separate myself from my father, to distance myself,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 26, 2022 9:45 PM

[quote] Hitler lost his composure hundreds of times and turned into a raving lunatic in front of thousands.

Don't confuse melodramatic rehearsed demagogic showmanship with insanity or loss of control

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316August 26, 2022 9:51 PM

Albert Speer did quite well according to the internet. His net worth was $85MM. I wonder who got that money since he was estranged from his wife and children.

by Anonymousreply 317August 26, 2022 10:05 PM

Regarding Speer he died a wealthy man in a London hotel room having sex with his young mistress. He won.

by Anonymousreply 318August 26, 2022 10:19 PM

It seems as if he did, R318. Money, young pus... mistress... Given what he did, issues such as his kids disowning him probably didn't phase him in the least bit.

by Anonymousreply 319August 26, 2022 10:42 PM

[quote]Speer he died a wealthy man in a London hotel room having sex with his young mistress. He won.

This is just another example of where it's only money and power that far too many people care about rather than what is right versus what is wrong. Now, maybe not all of the wealthy people who befriended the NAZIs knew of the concentration camps (I'm sure some of them did) but they were well aware of and/or witnessed the destruction and terror that the NAZIs and Hitler brought throughout all of Europe. They had to know about the anti-Semitism. They must have agreed, non?

by Anonymousreply 320August 26, 2022 11:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321August 27, 2022 12:05 AM

R316 a little off topic, but that website you linked is a treasure trove of interesting historical photos! I’ve been perusing it for an hour.

And boy do those photos of Hitler posing make him look like an evil gay.

by Anonymousreply 322August 28, 2022 1:08 AM

R316 Dearie me, I'm sure Sir Larry used that exact stance in one of his stage performances.

by Anonymousreply 323August 28, 2022 1:42 AM

OMG! That Dan Snow is SO hot! That tight T-Shirt.... YUM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 19, 2023 8:37 PM

I was at University with Dan Snow. He was a rowing dickhead with a massive ego. He was in the Oxford squad for the boat race against Cambridge. They lost, and I laughed.

A journalist once asked him how he got into TV work and he said 'Oh, I don't know - just luck'. Being Peter Snow's son had absolutely nothing to do with it then.

by Anonymousreply 325January 19, 2023 8:43 PM

Anyway, Hitler. He went to quite some lengths to keep his relationship with Eva Braun from becoming public knowledge, and of course only married her right at the end. Apparently he believed, as he was coming to power in the 1930s, that to marry would harm his popularity with German women.

by Anonymousreply 326January 19, 2023 8:47 PM

Fun fact from Eva Braun's Wikipedia page: When the German economy switched to 'total war' in 1943, diverting all resources to the war effort, Braun was apparently horrified to learn that this meant production of women's cosmetics would be halted, and demanded that Adolf make an exception. This was one of the rare occasions she engaged with any political question at all. Albert Speer was led to remark that 'Eva Braun will prove a great disappointment to historians'.

by Anonymousreply 327January 19, 2023 8:54 PM

For those who enjoyed 'Downfall' you will remember it was based on the story of Traudl Junge, one of Hitler's secretaries in the bunker, and featured a short clip of an interview with her. This was taken from a longer documentary, 'Im toten Winkel', well worth watching to hear her take on her life working closely together with him for the last two years of the war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 19, 2023 8:56 PM

[quote]I was at University with Dan Snow. He was a rowing dickhead with a massive ego.

A dominant power top! YES!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 19, 2023 9:00 PM

Thanks, R328.

I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks to all of you! I never knew that Hitler parody ("Hitler learns that Obama wins"; "Hitler learns that Biden wins"; et alia) was an actual movie. I will make a point to watch it. I also never knew (if records are correct) that Hitler was a stone cold drug addict. So many other things too!

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 330January 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Oh, Downfall is a great film - Bruno Ganz's portrayal is scarily realistic. He spent a lot of time listening to old recordings of Hitler and apparently absolutely nailed the voice.

by Anonymousreply 331January 19, 2023 9:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332January 19, 2023 9:33 PM

Ganz was a good choice for the most part -- he has the big eyeballs -- if a bit old for the role, but I think his voice was completely off. Here's a video where his normal speaking voice was recorded by Finnish officials during a meeting with Marshall Mannerheim. Interestingly Hitler admits attacking Russia was a big mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 19, 2023 10:05 PM

Traudl Junge, in the documentary I mentioned at R328, remarked that his voice sounded like 'a quaint old Austrian gentleman' who used some old-fashioned expressions.

by Anonymousreply 334January 19, 2023 10:13 PM

Trivial Pursuit got serious and intellectual about Hitler:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 19, 2023 10:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!