Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So do you use voice messaging?

I do but prefer texting so i have a record of messages that i can search through. So i use it for the not-work related messaging. So?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 10:21 AM

No I hate it. It’s too personal

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 5:37 PM

I avoid it like the plague as do most people in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 5:39 PM

What the fuck, brehs - I love voicemail now!

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 5:40 PM

Can voicemails be saved?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 5:40 PM

Well you are passive aggressive R3 because nobody wants to go listen to your damned voice mails.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 5:41 PM

No, I've had it switched off for over 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 5:42 PM

You can use voice messaging instead of texting in other apps like WhatsApp.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 5:44 PM

Hate voicemails. I read them transcribed on my phone, never listen to them.

I have older relatives who leave voicemails that are five minutes long, they're not into texting.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 6:29 PM

So, OP, do you realise that your use of “so” makes you sound like an idiot?

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 6:33 PM

Whatsapp is huge where I live. It has a 98% presence on mobiles; 71% of the population (aged birth to death) uses Whatsapp; and 52% of Mobile users use Whatsapp every day.

Whatsapp is fine but its voice messaging (and voice messaging in general) is not a favorite thing of mine. People gravitate to it thinking it's a quick way to leave a message on the run, but almost inevitably they follow up with back to back 'and another thing...' messages, meaning that you get bored and call them on Whatsapp to talk directly or you leave your own barrage of voice messages that you don't expect anyone to listen to in full. And so it goes.

Worse the en route messages are often enough difficult for me to understand because of the clipped off start and end of each clip and a tendency to speak rapidly, or alternately mumbly and haltingly and then ligtning fast, and to comingle a message with a conversation with whomever is with the person contacting you. It can be a test of fluency in a language that's not my first.

People only use something other than Whatsapp to make a point, and take a chance on catching the attention of someone who is ignoring his Whatsapp notices.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 7:44 PM

Interesting, r10. Are you in France or something?

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 7:54 PM

Or South America?

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 7:55 PM

France-adjacent, R10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 8:08 PM

Apple iMessage has a VM feature that I use sometimes when a verbal message can be beneficial over just text.

Handy to have.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 8:32 PM

iMessage, no. WhatsApp, yes.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 9:32 PM

Sorry that ^ was a reply to

[Quote] Can voicemails be saved?

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 9:33 PM

Interesting, r13!

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 9:37 PM

Curious, DLer from Spain, do people there still text, or only vm?

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 9:38 PM

Thread is 🚨 Eldergay Alert 🚨

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 9:42 PM

I won't leave a voicemail unless I have no other options. I hate it so very very much. I also do not listen to voice mails now, only the transcription of them. I delete any work VM's I get because I have on my details to DM or email me. I don't use voice texting, it's inaccurate and I can text type pretty fast now.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 9:44 PM

Lolz to everyone here who thinks it’s voicemail.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote]Curious, DLer from Spain, do people there still text, or only vm?

It's Spain, so both, R18, in tandem of course. It usually begins with text message/s, then can switch to voice messaging, and once that starts it's both until one arrives at the other's house. All on Whatsapp (except the few radicals who switched to Telegram and are still pissed that all but a handful abandoned it quickly and went back to evil but ridiculously popular Whatsapp.

It depends on the nature of the message whether it's text or voice message, not to overlook the untold images received every day. Some people are very voice message prone, a few are text diehards, and most start with a text and as soon as the typing gets complicated they switch to voice messages traded in almost real time.

In the U.S. I have friends who get stuck in old technologies, who only communicate via FB Messenger (FFS), or email (FFS), or Instagram (when they don't want you to notice the message for a few weeks or months), to text and voice messages through mobile #s. In Spain, the only people who leave old fashioned voicemail are tradespeople who don't know your Whatsapp contact - yet. It's the guy calling from down the street to see if you are home to take a delivery of a package, or the hospital calling to remind you of an appointment.

If it's not via Whatsapp it's regarded with suspicion -- or you have gone incommunicado and people are trying to reach you by all available means thinking it's only Whatsapp that you've turned off for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 10:19 PM

I’m truly fascinated, r22.

I feel like an insider now!

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 10:27 PM

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook and I hate Facebook and Zuckerputz, so no WhatsApp for me.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 10:48 PM

Without WhatsApp I would have no friends or social life so I just have to use it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 11:29 PM

Using the voice recording function is not the same as voice mail. I have friends i chat with using voice messaging instead of texting each other.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2022 5:22 AM

Why are a bunch of people here replying about Voice Mail when OP and the article are specifically talking about Voice MESSAGING.

Do people here not know what Voice Messaging is? It's a voice (or audio) message you send. via text or chat.

You make the recording then send it. It's NOT a recording you leave when someone doesn't answer the phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2022 8:25 AM

Yeah, we get that, r27.

OMG

🙄

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2022 9:02 AM

I didn't get that. But eventually figured it out. You learn something new!

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2022 9:04 AM

“GUYS! IT’S. 👏 NOT. 👏 VOICEMAIL. 👏 It’s a MESSAGE you RECORD for someone else, who then PLAYS it at their LEISURE.”

Oh, my sides!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2022 9:05 AM

R27 = Crypto-shill for Big Voicemail

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2022 9:07 AM

Voice mail versus voice messaging. The difference is intention -- and a smaller one than some of your would suggest.

Voicemail - someone hasn't been able to get a response from me via the other channels so they call me and leave a voice message to say, "What the fuck, man? I left all kinds of messages for you and no answer. Let me know if you're coming on Friday."

Voice messaging - your Tuvan throat singer friend is in town and you've been having him leave stupid messages to all your friends, not directly by calling you by phone but by leaving a voice message just as you would leave a text message (Whatsapp, iMessage, SMS, FB Messenger, Google Chat/Hangouts/GMail, LinkedIn for fucks sake...a thousand choices)

The distinction between voicemail and voice message isn't so black-&-white and all important as it once was.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2022 10:06 AM

Voicemail - Now With Intentionality!

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 10:08 AM

Joe Biden is leaving voicemails for r32!

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2022 10:08 AM

More importantly, I don't start sentences with "so."

Learn English, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2022 10:09 AM

R32 We're glad someone like you can clarify.

"than some of your"

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2022 10:10 AM

Google Hangouts?

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2022 10:11 AM

Tell us more about this throat singer friend…

It has possibilities…

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2022 10:12 AM

[quote] More importantly, I don't start sentences with "so."

So what's the problem r35?

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2022 10:12 AM

OP replies to itself a lot

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2022 10:19 AM

VIOLENCE! VIOLENCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 10:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!