Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the most accurate sitcom?

I'd say either The Middle or Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2022 2:49 AM

I preferred The Middle, mainly because the characters were white trash, but likable white trash.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 1:28 PM

Accurate in terms of … what?

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 1:31 PM

Dinner Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 1:33 PM

The Honeymooners. Despite the wacky escapades, the central relationship was very believable and the setting was borderline grim.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 1:35 PM

R2 Accurate in how most Americans live. I think Roseanne and The Middle really show the life of middle aged, middle class, middle Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 1:58 PM

Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 2:03 PM

The Flintstones

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 2:53 PM

Thirtysomething was fairly accurate.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 3:35 PM

r8 Possibly, but it was in no way a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 3:43 PM

I agree with Roseanne and The Middle, but they really showed lower middle class. Where I grew up, the main employers were three factories. Most of the town was filled with factory workers and their families who were all lower middle class. Roseanne and The Middle captured in a humorous way how many of them lived.

I always loved the Roseanne episode where Dan's father Ed, played by Ned Beatty, gives the family a VCR in an episode set in the 1990s. Darlene's comment is something like, "A VCR. The Connor family leaps into the 80s."

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 3:43 PM

Scrubs was surprisingly accurate (except for the backwards x-ray in the opening montage).

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 3:50 PM

I hated that Modern Family and The Middle came on back-to-back (at least where I lived.) I always wanted us to be Modern Family, but it was painfully clear our family was The Middle.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 3:54 PM

Everybody Loves Raymond depicted one side of my Italian-American family very well.

The Sopranos depicted the other side of my family accurately but I digress...

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2022 4:09 PM

All in the Family was pretty accurate for me. My dad WAS Archie Bunker, so the show was always uncomfortable for me to watch growing up.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2022 8:09 PM

“Blackish” has many episodes lifted straight from my life.

My spouse and I aren’t as successful as Dre and Bow, but we are much more successful than our parents (the source of a lot of the humor in “Blackish.”)

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2022 8:47 PM

Good times

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2022 10:16 PM

The Office accurately shows the boredom ad bickering of office life. It jumped the shark when Steve Carell left.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 1:35 AM

I like to think that "Bewitched" was real life.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 2:17 AM

Yes, Scrubs. Reminded me of when I did residency.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 2:38 AM

[quote] "Phyllis"

Phyllis at R6, it sure isn't you!

My first thought was "Roseanne" as well. The first few seasons, before Roseanne came back looking Asian (beginning of season 6). Season Four was the end of the best of the best of the show. Those are the only ones I re-watch.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 2:40 AM

Picture it, R18, 1164 Morning Glory Circle in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 2:41 AM

Married with Children

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2022 11:13 PM

Fame becuase it was the only one I could easily recall that showed any kind of real diversity. . . although, I was surrounded by quite a few fame whores, too. The teachers were quite well represneted, I think, too. The rest is far more of a stretch.

M*A*S*H - having grown up in and around bases, there were many aspects that were quite true, albeit far more toned down.. but the kind of craziness that builds with the chronic monotony and boredom, the love/hate and otherwise dysfunctional relationships with the military and displaying the many reasons why skilled officers are so often despised.

Our House, Punky Brewster, Diff'rent Strokes, My Two Dads for those that had non-traditional guardians or older parents. Our House the more accurate, tho, but it's not realy a sitcom now that I thnk about it.

Alice did well with the single mom barely keeping her head above water... and Roseanne for the class divides.. that odd space of barely scraping by and having to maintain variety of gigs even with a relatively small household... you'd be poor but technically your income and assets are too much to qualify. But mostly, I think it's the class divides. The mentality from the outside onto you and the resentment that grows within your community against the outside.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2022 12:04 AM

Don't laugh, but "Leave It To Beaver". I love the relationship between Beaver and Wally, it was just like mine with my brother. We both had our own sets of friends, but the family relationship was central.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2022 12:15 AM

Accurate to my upbringing in lower-income rural Britain, THIS COUNTRY.

I've known people exactly like Kurtan, Kerry, Big Mand, Sluggs, Len et al. my whole life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2022 12:58 AM

Accurate because the cast was mostly ugly and they had shitty homes?

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2022 1:02 AM

Friends, for a certain type of New Yorker in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2022 1:08 AM

Room 222

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2022 1:22 AM

Where's the freaking POLL ?

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2022 1:25 AM

Malcolm in the Middle. The first season was spot on in regard to the relationship between the brothers.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2022 1:32 AM

R30 Reese & Malcolm had a really strange incestuous overtone to their relationship by the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2022 1:40 AM

Queer Ass Folk. What? You say it wasn’t a sitcom? Oops, my bad!

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2022 1:40 AM

All Black families are as wealthy and smug as we were. We were groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2022 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!