Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things are getting hotter and not just for Trump

He'll be dead but his supporters, particularly those across the South, are gonna fry: Texas and Florida (and Arizona) are gonna be hot, hot, hot!!! from the WaPo this morning

[bold]More dangerous heat waves are on the way: By mid-century, nearly two-thirds of Americans will experience perilous heat waves, with some regions in the South expected to endure more than 70 consecutive days over 100 degrees.[/bold]

"It was the middle of July and already this summer had become a top contender for the hottest in Texas’s recorded history. In San Antonio, which by July would normally experience about three days of triple-digit heat, there had been three dozen. Houston, Waco and Austin were also seeing temperatures 5 to 8 degrees above normal. The state was roasting and Texans were using a record amount of electricity to stay cool.

New calculations suggest that, by the middle of this century, this record-breaking summer in Texas may look normal.

Across much of the United States, millions of people are expected to experience extreme temperatures more frequently and for longer periods of time — a threat that will grow as climate change worsens. The new data, released Monday by the nonprofit First Street Foundation, calculates the heat risk facing each property in the contiguous United States over the next 30 years, the length of a typical mortgage, providing some of the most detailed nationwide estimates. It uses heat index, a measure of how hot it feels outside by including temperature and humidity.

A Washington Post analysis of the group’s data found that today’s climate conditions have caused an estimated 46 percent of Americans to endure at least three consecutive days of 100-plus degree heat, on average, each year. Over the next 30 years, that will increase to 63 percent of the population.

Nowhere is the danger more widespread than in the South, where global warming is expected to deliver an average of 20 extra days of triple-digit heat per year. In some southern states, such as Texas and Florida, residents could see over 70 consecutive days with the heat index topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

“We’re talking about taking summer, which is already hot, and expanding it for months,” said Jaime González, director of the Houston Healthy Cities program for the Nature Conservancy in Texas. “That’s going to cause all sorts of disruptions to everyday life.”

This data comes as more Americans are moving to some of the hottest parts of the United States. For more than a decade, census data has shown Sun Belt states like Arizona, Texas and Florida drawing in new residents, while Northeastern and Midwestern states are not."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2022 5:02 AM

hey, if it takes out a few liberals.. it's all good. because if they were real progressives, they'd move to the city.. be homeless on the streets, if they had to... they're no doubt just fairweather democrats and we don't need those in the party.

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2022 8:15 PM

It's gonna so suck for me. I'll be in my early 80s in 2052. Feeble and old. And I'll be poor most likely.

I hope assisted suicide is legal by then.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2022 9:28 PM

Oh. I can't do math. I'll only be early 70s in 2052. Nvm. I'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2022 9:34 PM

I’ll be 28 in 2052.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2022 11:21 PM

R4= CZJ

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2022 11:42 PM

Repugtards are too difficult to kill, just like cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2022 11:55 PM

I’d better get my caftan hemmed.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2022 12:01 AM

It would be wise to purchase real estate in the northern states. Learn about where the water source for the community comes from as a measure. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2022 12:15 AM

I'm in eastern Oregon and we are in what the news is calling like our fourth summer heat wave. It's been over a hundred degrees more days than not and humid. I think the hottest day, so far, was 111 degrees. If I see a fan, any fan, I immediately go to it and pull up my shirt. Not sorry, not this hot whore.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 3:21 AM

Humans will adapt to higher temperatures. They are not just going to stand outside and wait until they die of the heat. People will go from air conditioned homes to air conditioned vehicles to air conditioned stores and offices, People kind of do that now, but there are gaps where have to be outside for at least a few minutes. Decades from now, that will all be seamless, with no necessity of walking outside the air conditioned bubbles.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 3:30 AM

Did you lose your E ticket, R10?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2022 3:38 AM

This is the second summer in a row with temperature reaching the mid thirties in the Pacific Northwest and unfortunately it’s starting to look like it will be normal. With humidity it feels over 40.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2022 3:45 AM

It will be unsafe to live from the tip of Texas to New Orleans, both because of the heat and the fact the Gulf will be hot enough to spin up major hurricanes overnight. Summer will be a relentless battering, with little time for aid or rebuilding.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 3:45 AM

Air conditioning until it's illegal. Air conditioning contributes to a hotter planet.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 3:45 AM

God has a plan as Bible-believing Southerners like to say. Stop voting Republican who are exacerbating climate change.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 3:46 AM

Actually, Disney World is a good example of a place that is going to have to do something about temperature in the near future. The temperatures in the direct sunlight in the parks is going to be too unbearable for guests. They are going to reduce outside queuing and reduce areas that are in direct sunlight, and more.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 3:48 AM

In thirty years will we even have cars, stores and offices? We are all fucked and it won't take three decades to get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 3:49 AM

We are all going to have adapt and live underground like ferrets.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2022 3:51 AM

All you fancy bitches will be bragging about your lux, subterranean, mud huts.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2022 3:53 AM

I think open air jobs like UPS drivers will have to go away, replaced with automation. Certainly landscaping and lawn work will be a thing of the past. I don’t know how construction work and road work is going to be done.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2022 3:57 AM

Do you always describe things, especially the day’s weather, in relation to the former president , OP?

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2022 3:58 AM

This bitch will have ice. I can take a lot, but I need ice cubes.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2022 4:00 AM

It would suck if reincarnation was real.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2022 4:08 AM

I’m ok living underground or being nocturnal. I hate the sun

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2022 4:10 AM

The South will rise again…in the form of dust.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2022 4:12 AM

Get ready.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2022 4:12 AM

This feels appropriate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2022 4:13 AM

I am getting so hot, I wanna take my clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2022 4:15 AM

I live north of Sacramento and it has been heat wave after heat wave all summer long. and we are in another one now.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2022 6:19 AM

2053? I'll ba a billion gay years old by then.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2022 7:26 AM

I am in Eastern Oregon too, R9. This is fucking TERRIBLE! It won't be below 80 degrees until 3am, and my central AC died 2 days ago. I have emergency window units, because no repair until next week.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2022 7:54 AM

I'm in coastal California. Weather's been temperate all summer and will be in 2053. So not moving.

Texas is screwed. So's Florida, though a bunch of it will be under water by then.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2022 8:50 AM

Enjoy the earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides and coastal erosion, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 9:05 AM

I don’t mind living underground.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2022 5:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!