Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Austin Butler is winning his first Oscar soon.

Butler is the odds on favorite to take home Oscar gold at the 2023 Academy Awards for his electrifying performance as the King. Who would have thought a CW actor from Arrow and The Carrie Diaries would win an Oscar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 31, 2022 8:38 AM

[quote] Who would have thought a CW actor from Arrow and The Carrie Diaries would win an Oscar?

Don't forget The Shannara Chronicles!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 10:12 PM

Bizarre, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 10:12 PM

It's only August. The "big Oscar movies" haven't come out yet

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 10:14 PM

Let me know when Variety says he's bound to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 10:17 PM

He's hawt. I'd vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Not if I have anything to say about the winner!

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Not going to happen. Film is a flop. You don't win for flop films. You might get nominated, but you don't win.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 10:31 PM

Hardly, r7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2022 5:07 PM

And while critics are desperately trying to push the narrative of "Brave Comeback Brendan Fraser" to the podium, a movie about a pathetic 600-pound schlemiel is in no way going to generate a similar Box Office. An opening scene of a struggle to masturbate? Yeah, catnip. 🤮

You have no idea how many people went to multiple screenings of "Elvis." Austin Butler is mesmerizing. Sexy.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2022 5:12 PM

How Soon Is Now?

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2022 6:11 PM

Was this the movie about Elvis Costello?

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2022 11:33 PM

I want Austin to win but when’s the last time a sexy performance like his won Best Actor? Fraser and his narrative is sadly more up their alley.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2022 1:24 AM

I don’t know if even playing and embodying Elvis will be enough to overcome the goodwill for Brendan Fraser right now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2022 1:24 AM

OP Please.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2022 1:50 AM

Yes, Rose. R11

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2022 2:38 AM

R13, Baz and WB have to fork out and buy up screens for a theatrical re-release of "Elvis" in January, given that "The Whale" (and BF interviews) will be all the rage in December.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2022 2:42 AM

E g., one of my local theaters is showing "Elvis" for a third run starting this Friday. As IF "The Whale" will engender a following as this.

Anyway, doesn't network television have a Reality Series about 600-pound people?

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2022 6:28 AM

I seriously doubt he’d even be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2022 6:34 AM

Whoever presents dong will get my vote!

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2022 6:34 AM

Elvis flopped compared to bohemian rhapsody. And the whole culture appropriating angle sjws will be attacking it if it's nominated

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2022 6:37 AM

What are “angle sjws”?

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2022 6:47 AM

I thought he was,ok. They keep fucking up and not coming up with strong screenplays for the subjects of the biographies they make. I understand that the performance is important but, the substance of the film plays into it too. Why can't they ever get a moving, real life portrait of their subjects? They have access to all information that anyone could ask for. AB, didn't look like Elvis at all and was barely passable.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2022 6:58 AM

Is AB a coward?

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2022 7:01 AM

R18, You know nothing. Try reading critics' reviews, any. You'll find praise for Austin's performance the likes of which you've not read before. Not even Brendan is being called "electrifying," "magnetic," "charismatic," "spectacular," "undeniable," "transformative," "dazzling," "hypnotic," "once in a decade," "movie magic," "phenomenal," "will leave you shaken," "a revelation," "a star is born in Butler." These are from legit film critics, not Tweets. And there are more accolades in this same vein.

R20, It is second only to that behemoth, in terms of biopics. By your logic no movie other than "TG:M" should be considered for "Best Picture" (Hint: It, and Tammy, doesn't stand a chance, Box Office or not). Moreover, ANYONE who tries to argue that Oscar-winner Rami Malek was in any way---other than through wearing fake teeth---a better actor than AB in their respective biopics is simply being, well, stupid.

R23, Are you drunk?

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2022 12:40 PM

I've got a big award to give him.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2022 12:42 PM

Is there an Austin Butler troll now too?

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2022 2:30 PM

He's in line for a likely nomination, depending on the coming film season and how long AMPAS voters' memories are. Right now, the only sure bets for the Best Actor category seem to be Fraser and Colin Farrell (for the new McDonough film). And that is subject to revision over the coming months.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2022 5:41 PM

R20 It’s true Elvis is less successful than Bohemian Rhapsody but it still did well, all things considered. The SJW’s really predicting it to flop and not make any money at all and that wasn’t the case.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2022 6:40 PM

were really predicting**

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2022 6:40 PM

I want Austin to win but at the same time I don’t want to be bombarded with the think pieces about how terrible the real Elvis was if he does.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2022 6:47 PM

R20, crazy to fault Elvis for not making Bohemian Rhapsody's grosses, which went far beyond even really successful musical biopics. Elvis still made $150 million domestic, which is more than Rocketman and Ray and about as much as Walk the Line and Straight Outta Compton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2022 6:57 PM

Been done already, r30. Ignorance abounds.

Baz missed a huge and even vital chance to illustrate Elvis's immense generosity.

Moreover, he over-stressed the influence of Black musicians while essentially ridiculing the way Country music was in Elvis's marrow. That is to say, Baz forsook balance and accuracy for, let's say, certain modern sensibilities.

After all, the "B" side of "That's All Right (Mama)" was "Blue Moon of Kentucky." And "Hound Dog" was written by a White man and sung by a White group, whose version Elvis recorded (in his own way, and after permission)., not that of Big Momma Thornton.

"Elvis" doesn't show Elvis the Original Amalgam, the Innovator, the Ur-Rockabilly, which is what shook up America, preferring to lazily settle for the hackneyed "White Boy, Black Voice." Listen to Elvis's 50s recordings (which I've been doing); he doesn't sound "Black" at all, or I'm no Motown fan!

None of the above is to take away from the tour de force of Austin. He stayed big. It's Baz who thought small.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2022 7:03 PM

Us, r32, "BoRhap" benefitted immensely from the fact that Queen members are still touring! That Adam Lambert has the crucial cameo of showing us Freddie's moment of self-actualization (truck stop scene).

And that the songs are played today still, whereas Elvis songs are not "stadium-friendly."

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2022 7:10 PM

I won't be upset if he wins, he did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2022 7:13 PM

Future Irony Alert:

Whereas Elvis has been parodied, mocked, and insulted for becoming, at his very end, "Fat Elvis," the Academy is going to pretend empathy for the 600-pound loser portrayed by the STILL-FAT Brendan Fraser.

The BA Oscar will be all about the COMPLETELY PHONY show of "Body Acceptance" by the Academy. And yes, Brendan will get a Standing Ovation, while the camera focuses on the reaction of Austin.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2022 7:19 PM

R35 Sad but true. Austin would probably have a better chance at winning if he mostly played fat, tragic, drugged outside Elvis in the movie instead of prime and pretty Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2022 7:32 PM

drugged out*

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2022 7:32 PM

R33 The success of Elvis is also impressive given how much his popularity had faded in recent years. The last time he was popular was the early 2000’s. Everyone was saying this movie was decades too late and that was it bound to flop because no one cares about Elvis but Baz did an incredible job putting his story in context and helping younger audiences understand what made him so special.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2022 7:37 PM

And Austin of course did an incredible job portraying Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2022 7:38 PM

R32 I get why black people dislike and/or resent Elvis. But present day discourse would have you believe he was universally resented by black artists and black consumers of music when that simply wasn’t true. It wasn’t until that line in Fight The Power that it became cool to hate Elvis. And even then Chuck D has clarified his lyrics and said Elvis had respect for black music and that he was attacking his icon status more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2022 7:46 PM

R32 is just a Republican troll. Rock and roll wouldn't even exist without black people. You're forsaking accuracy to spew GOP/White Supremacist talking points

Austin Butler will go the way of Rami Malek. No one will be talking about him in a few years

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2022 7:47 PM

R40, plenty of earlier black artists had not-so-kind things to say about Elvis. Like Ray Charles.

More White Supremacist talking points

I'm guessing you eldergays were stooges for Nixon back in the day, just like Elvis

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2022 7:48 PM

R42 Ray Charles also visited Nixon in the White House, so what’s your point?

Ray Charles didn’t care for Elvis, but other black artists were fond of him like BB King, Fats Domino, Jackie Wilson, Darlene Love, Dionne Warwick, Cissy Houston, Sammy Davis Jr., Roy Hamilton, James Brown, Mahalia Jackson, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2022 7:52 PM

Black people were also fans of Elvis in real time before that racist fake quote about black people was attributed to him, but I guess that’s a white supremacist talking point according to you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2022 7:54 PM

Oscars are so stupid. Make up your own mind. If AMPAS agrees with your opinion, great. If not, great. "Wristcutters: A Love Story" was nominated at Sundance for the Grand Jury Prize but it didn't win and "Ghost World" only got one Oscar nomination (for writing) but they remain two of my all-time favorite movies.

PS Austin Butler was a regular on "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" and "Zoey 101" on Nickelodeon when he was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2022 9:03 PM

I think it's funny using "first" in the title. Like he's going to win multiple oscars like Jack or Streep. Maybe he will but realistically...

Haven't seen Elvis, have nothing against the guy. If he's great in it, kudos to him. I find his current state very attractive. Not so much when he was a young surfer twink.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2022 7:03 PM

R24 seems scarily overly involved. Poor Austin. I imagine online nutjobs are just the tip of the fame iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2022 10:22 PM

R47, r24 here. "Overly involved" how, exactly? By reading? Heaven forfend! And "scarily"? You must frighten easily.

It's called providing support for an argument, the other side's being completely bereft of any.

And what? Are you new to the concept of "fame"? "Fans"? Why are you even on this site, let alone this thread?

Are you going to pretend that this board has no other celebrity (or not, in the case of niche performers) threads?

Have you ever heard of Elvis?

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2022 12:21 AM

I'm more excited about Short Round winning an Oscar for Everything Everywhere All At Once.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2022 1:24 AM

R49, that would be surreal. We are alums of the same elementary school. They came to our school to look for a kid to be short round. Pretty sure if he won, he would be the first and only Oscar winner from the school.

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2022 2:36 AM

I've been checking out butler on Twitter and I see a lot of tweets touting his performance as Oscar worthy. And I wonder are there really a lot of people who are that invested? Is it organic? Or is it stealth pr instilling the Oscar narrative that butler, of course, should be nominated. Setting the mindset that he deserves a nomination and it would be shocking if he didn't get it?

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2022 2:41 AM

Regarding box office, I don't see another music biopic ever grossing what br grossed. I think the beetles and evlis are seen as your grandparents artists and not cool enough or recent. Br had the advantage of being from an iconic pop/rock group that was more recent and liked by the younger gen as well. I can only see maybe a michael jackson movie making what br did.

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2022 2:50 AM

[quote] [R49], that would be surreal. We are alums of the same elementary school. They came to our school to look for a kid to be short round. Pretty sure if he won, he would be the first and only Oscar winner from the school.

Why wouldn’t you chosen? Are you jealous?

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2022 2:54 AM

R53, I'm a couple of years younger and yes, I was jealous. I'm good now and will be rooting for him. He's had an incredible career revival.

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2022 3:18 AM

Are you Asian?

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2022 3:19 AM

R50, that's pretty cool. I was so blown away by his performance in Everything Everywhere. It brought me to the brink of tears on more than one occasion. I'd really like to see him and Michelle Yeoh win, but I think he probably has a better chance. That said, she was amazing and this is the best I've ever seen her and she's been pretty amazing in quite a few things. But he almost stole the movie from her. (that alleyway scene in her movie star universe đź’”!)

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2022 5:52 AM

How Soon Is Now?

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2022 6:03 AM

He was good in Elvis. definitely the golden globe best actor at the very least!

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2022 6:42 AM

Nominated: probably (it's a super weak year)

Win: doutbtful

The push is for Brendan Frasier and Colin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2022 8:40 AM

[quote]Not going to happen. Film is a flop. You don't win for flop films. You might get nominated, but you don't win.

Will Smith, Jessica Chastain and Ariana de Bose all won for flop films last year.

(don't know if Coda was a hit.)

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2022 9:02 AM

"Elvis" is not a "flop film."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2022 12:57 PM

Despite Austin's publicist's desire to fan the flames of his awesomeness, he's still a boring cookie cutter white boy actor.

Who is going to have to be satisfied with an Oscar nomination and maybe a critic's award here and there from the likes of "the Las Vegas Film Critics Association".

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2022 8:42 PM

He may be boring and cookie cutter but who cares when he's packing downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2022 2:03 AM

Twitter link shows the goods but DL isn't allowing it.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2022 2:06 AM

R62, He would be in excellent company.

by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2022 2:10 AM

R62, So you didn't see "Elvis." Or "OUATIH."

by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2022 2:11 AM

Maybe so, but audiences have yet to....weigh in on "The Whale," and "Banshees..." just opened.

by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2022 2:14 AM

R66 back. WTH does "boring and cookie cutter white boy actor" even MEAN to you, r62, specifically regarding Austin Butler?

I am making a serious query, as I doubt you have any rational response, particularly with respect to the movie "Elvis."

How was Butler "boring"?

How was he "cookie cutter"?

Would you have preferred a Black actor play Elvis (or Tex Watson)?

If you were a regular (and secret, apparently) viewer of Austin in his CW/Nickolodeon days, gee, ya think young actors take whatever roles are offered?

I'm still flummoxed by your "white boy" "criticism." Is Brendan Fraser not White? Are you going to argue that Colin Farrell, being Irish, isn't "really" White?

You packed a lot of stupid in your post.

by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2022 2:25 AM

I cared about Fraser when he was young and hot, but now he's old and fat so he needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 69October 26, 2022 12:24 PM

[quote]Who would have thought a CW actor from Arrow and The Carrie Diaries would win an Oscar?

When did he win it?

by Anonymousreply 70October 26, 2022 12:30 PM

He looks nothing like Elvis. That, and Tom Hanks over the top accent, were a real distraction.

by Anonymousreply 71October 26, 2022 12:46 PM

The real Colonel Parker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2022 12:49 PM

Shouldn't acting be the criterion? Or should those portraying fictional characters automatically have an advantage?

For r71:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 26, 2022 12:59 PM

R72 Oh, wow. He doesn't have that weird accent Hanks did.

by Anonymousreply 74October 26, 2022 1:59 PM

Clearly Tom didn't do even cursory research, never mind the obsessive level of Austin.

I think Baz failed in one major way, and that was to not show either the Colonel or Elvis as the happy sorts they were. Elvis, e.g, seemed to be always smiling, joking (even in his performances), laughing. But the movie portrays him, post-Hank Snow Tour days, as often unhappy, weepy, frustrated (there are scenes where Elvis laughs---e.g., in BB King's club; at the Hollywood sign---but they are few).

But maybe it's all accurate, what do I know?

I just know that Austin Butler as Elvis showed a heckuva lot more range---emotional, physical, musical, chronological---than did Rami as Freddie, and Rami was great as Freddie.

by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2022 2:27 PM

R75 Austin did a great job but I wish more of Elvis’s sense of humor was included in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2022 4:05 PM

R69 Meh the Academy is probably gonna reward Fraser precisely because he’s fat and they love a good sob story. Butler is too pretty and sexy for them.

by Anonymousreply 77October 26, 2022 4:06 PM

Dude, are there even going to BE Golden Globes this year anyways? That’s really the only way he’s going to slip into awards with that best actor comedy musical category.

by Anonymousreply 78October 26, 2022 4:08 PM

R44 is a white supremacist pretending Elvis had more black fans than he really did

by Anonymousreply 79October 26, 2022 4:11 PM

R43, Ray Charles supported the Civil Rights movement....Elvis didn't

by Anonymousreply 80October 26, 2022 4:12 PM

R79 I guess these black children secretly hated Elvis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 26, 2022 4:19 PM

R79 These black girls hated Elvis too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 26, 2022 4:20 PM

R43 Elvis did support the civil rights movement through a variety of ways. I wouldn't call him a hero or pioneer or anything but he did support the movement rather unequivocally at a time when it was unheard of for white creatives to do so.

The movie is hot garbage but Butler gives an excellent performance in it and should be an awards contender.

by Anonymousreply 83October 26, 2022 4:21 PM

R79 These black women in the audience also hated Elvis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 26, 2022 4:21 PM

R79 This black girl hated Elvis too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 26, 2022 4:22 PM

R79 This black girl also hated Elvis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 26, 2022 4:23 PM

This article talks about how Elvis was one of the few white artists played on black radio stations in the 50’s and 60’s but whatever you say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 26, 2022 4:26 PM

R79 These black people hated Elvis too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 26, 2022 4:29 PM

He struck a series of well thought out poses with the emotional depth of a muddy puddle.

by Anonymousreply 89October 26, 2022 4:37 PM

He wasn't very bright or deep, it's true. But it simply isn't true to say the civil rights movement didn't mean anything to him.

by Anonymousreply 90October 26, 2022 7:13 PM

R89 didn't see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 91October 31, 2022 8:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!