Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: 4 bedroom Mews House in London

What say you, my fellow DLers? The layout is unusual, but it is surprisingly big and it looks very cozy at the same time.

Of course, the price is 😲.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]the price is 😲.

ridiculous!

there are hardly any windows, you're just paying for that ghastly "decor".

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 3:04 PM

Looks like the office of a very expensive plastic surgeon. Kudos for the Trump Troll art, though 😂

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 3:04 PM

did you see where it is? at the end of some truly crappy mews.

stuff of nightmares.

see street view >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 3:07 PM

Who in tarnation would want that monstrous painting in their home?

This listing could serve as a stealthy ad for an AbFan revival: AbFab Apocalypse: Monsoon Season!

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 3:08 PM

FUN FACT: the front of the mews was the location for Real World London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 3:09 PM

It feels like the interior of a mod spaceship from a 1960s scifi movie. More clinical-techno-space age than comfy.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 3:10 PM

What moronic interior designer chose that Dump Troll 'art'? Or did the current owner choose it? That alone points to extremely poor taste.

The house is too modern and cold. ugh

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 3:12 PM

Are we sure the troll doll isn't Boris Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 3:15 PM

R8 The circles around the eyes and the tiny hands make it certain.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 3:19 PM

No, it isn't R8. The creature on that picture is far too beautiful to be Boorish. It clearly is his American cousin Orange Dump.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 3:21 PM

What is a mews?

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 3:23 PM

Nothing about that place looks cozy. Sterile and echoey, yes. Cozy, no.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 3:24 PM

R11, they were houses usually built over two or three floors: the ground level was for either horses or vehicles and the upper levels were servants quarters. They were usually built close to luxurious townhouses or mansions in major cities in the UK, where space limitations would prevent the owners from having large stables and gardens.

Since they tend to be in areas that are highly sought after, mews houses are usually VERY expensive and are remodelled to be as spacious and luxurious as possible, since the original spaces tend to be very small and unappealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 3:31 PM

Its HIDEOUS. Claustrophobic, feels like a luxury cell for keeping a VIP prisoner. Possibly on a spaceship or underground or under the sea. The finishes are HEAVY and threatening.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 3:34 PM

Like every expensive dwelling in London, stripped of any interest or coherence and turned into a modern blank box. I guess that’s what the 1% want. Hard to find anything nice with a historic patina in London anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 3:35 PM

Now THIS is a mews house. It was built in the 1840s, but it's technically part of the One Fifth Avenue co-op in Greenwich Village.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 3:39 PM

A characterless mews house with a mostly subterranean (or may as well be) floor plan with a terrible circulation scheme (unless maybe you like hosting multiple, intimate parties simultaneously), and, in place of any architectural distinction whatsoever, some metal screens from a Chinese restaurant.

I couldn't sell this place fast enough if it were given to me. I prefer historic houses but if a house is to be modern, it has to display some architectural finesse and there's none here, just some marble bathroom vanities over ordered from some marginally 3-star-plus hotel job.

Who wants a dumpy modern mews house that looks like a garage with a couple AirBnB units for that enormous sum? For less half the price I'd prefer a real house, above ground, with some glorious rooms and windows and architecture - the money saved will buy all the car service you could want and you'd live in a house that didn't look like the laundry rooms of a middle class Dubai house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 3:48 PM

@r11, In the US we call them carriage houses

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 3:50 PM

It a fantastic refurb but is monster overpriced!

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 3:52 PM

Cozy as an Airport Sheraton!

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 4:11 PM

I like it. I would redo some of the styling and furnishings so it doesnt look so pristine and cold, but it looks perfect.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 4:17 PM

Massively overpriced for the location.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 4:18 PM

i like it. kinda james bond.

i love the groovy media room.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 4:19 PM

Massively overpriced ? Its under 10 million US dollars...and a few blocks from Kensington Palace. I would say its very reasonable. The poster who linked something similar in New York is priced at 9 million, is smaller, has no garage, and comes with an almost 5,000 dollar monthly maintenance fee.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 4:23 PM

Hate the pool. Too much like the HS or Y pools. Echoey and sterile. I love a nice landscaped, lagoon pool.

Much prefer the house @ R17.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote]Are we sure the troll doll isn't Boris Johnson?

Aren't Drumpf & Boris politically one and the same?. Except Boris is highly educated and possibly more interesting? Drumpf is a totally empty vessel.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 4:35 PM

Mews houses don't have windows in the back because the rich douchebags in the big house didn't want poor eyes looking at them while they frolicked in the yard. Excuse me, "garden".

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 4:42 PM

R25 the pool is about the only thing i DONT hate in this place. That they have managed to fit a pool into it at all is a bit of an achievement. Its a pity the rest is so cold sterile and institutional, it'd be like living in a hospital, or a mid range hotel with pretensions. I actually dont mind the layout but I'd want to gut it and start again, but the underlying architecture looks pretty grim to start with, looks to be 60's or 70's. There is simply nothing attractive in the whole place bar the pool. The garaging appears to be stacked which is quite a clever use of space.

For the cost of completely gutting it and redoing the interior I'd rather just buy something like the one in R17 and use the money saved for any upgrades or additions I'd want. Its not only just over half the price but a far nicer piece of architecture to start with. The house n R17 just needs a few light fixture changes and other minor tweaks.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote] Aren't Drumpf & Boris politically one and the same?. Except Boris is highly educated and possibly more interesting? Drumpf is a totally empty vessel.

As human beings, besides being messy-haired bleached blond populists they are quite different.

But as political entities...it's remarkable how linked they and the UK/US have turned out to be.

Xenophobia and nationalism led to Brexit, an unlikely and self-destructive election result. That led to Trump over here. Trump caused chaos and always came out on top against all odds. Boris did the same, surviving a recall election that endorsed his madness. Trump had a spectacular downfall. Boris followed with a spectacular downfall. Both were elected against odds, both wreaked havoc and became more popular and powerful, both were reckless megalomaniacs, both caused absolute chaos within their respective political systems and both were booted out and left like angry little boys being sent to their bedrooms. So bizarre how complementary the two countries have been during this era of insanity.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 6:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!