Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Crushing

Is it normal for an adult gay man to have a crush? That is, a silly infatuation where you think that someone else is the bee's knees in all respects.

What's the procedure for this when you're an adult in a relationship and you get a little bit infatuated with another gay male - just pretend you don't find him attractive and move on (as straight people do, or are supposed to do) OR present hole?

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2022 4:34 PM

So, the poll didn't add to the post because I didn't include the question part. Should I start another thread?

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 2:43 PM

Of course it is normal. Being sexually attracted to other people is healthy. I will never stop flirting with men I find appealing.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 2:45 PM

the bee's knees

Using this phrase indicates that you are over 70, so flirt away, just don't embarrass yourself by flirting with anyone under 60. You will be mocked.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 2:50 PM

Present hole!

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 3:04 PM

Best to crush on unattainable celebs like Shawn Mendes.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 3:20 PM

I do, R5! But I want something closer to real life.

If I told you my real age, you wouldn't believe me, R3. I have always been told that I speak an old person.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 3:32 PM

Sad - because it just happened to me. 54 and a totally gorgeous smart 34 year old hit on me. Had a great night of conversation and sex and am now obsessing. I know it’s totally stupid and need to move on - but the brain went into overdrive. Just when you think you’re over that stuff, you become a silly old man. The mind doesn’t always win.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 3:39 PM

Happily married and monogamous.

I have a tried and true saying, “Don’t put your penis where it don’t belong”. The other saying for those that are already married is, “You gotta respect the ring”.

Whether it’s the guy you’re crushing on wearing it, or your own… who else will respect it, if not you?

I found my past open relationship was like a pair of undewear. The band between us stretched out too much for either of us to keep wearing it. If you can make it work, hooray for you!

It’s perfectly normal to “crush” on someone, but acting on it is different. If a guy cruising looks back at me, I stop at the second glimpse, never a third and turn, appearing disinterested. There’s an endorphin rush of validation, but it’s so easy to ruin what hard work is put into an exclusive relationship. Crushing is like kindling a spark turn into a flame.

Don’t encourage it unless you want your relationship to go up in flames. I’ve seen it happen too many times to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 3:41 PM

Thank you, R8, really and truly! I was going to call it sage advice, even before I saw your name.

(In my case, though, the first saying would go, "Don’t put your bussy where it don’t belong”.)

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 3:47 PM

I’m going to add one more thing that both monogamous and open relationship folks would recognize-

There’s a current of energy that connects two people committed to each other. Whether you meet him at 9 or 90, it’s an attraction that runs clean and pure, and unadulterated. If you find the right man, you are genuinely interested in spending time together and making things work smoothly. There will be bumps, learning moments, and struggle, but if both parties respect the connection, it will hold lovely.

However, if you cheat- it’s like mixing a pound of spoiled hamburger to three pounds of fresh, grilling it up and hoping for the best. If the relationship doesn’t end, you have forever changed it into something else that is dramatically different than what you started with. ]

The real question is that what you want and is is worth cheating for?

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 4:13 PM

Thank you, R10/ElderSage. Food for thought.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 6:21 PM

I developed a crush on a guy I'd befriended a couple of years ago at 50. I think it had been almost a decade since I was interested in dating someone. Kind of surprised me that I could still be giddy about someone like that, to be honest. If you're already in a relationship though, I'd say mercilessly stamp out those feelings and let it pass.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 6:28 PM

R7 I currently find myself in a similar situation. I’m also 54, but he’s much younger and a few years into marriage to a man he claims is no longer interested in sex due to health issues and medication. He’s nice looking, intelligent and ambitious. I’m going to enjoy it as long as it lasts, knowing there’s not a long term future here as he will still be relatively young when I’m an old man.

I don’t feel guilty. No healthy, attractive young gay male is going to be sexless nor should be expected to. But I am surprised to find myself “crushing” on this young man because in my younger days I had several fuck buddies that I never had any feelings for other than lust, I’ve never been a “ daddy” before, but I’ll be this young mans daddy. I’m lucky to have him in my life.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 7:46 PM

Totally normal, OP

Great posts r8/r10

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2022 10:33 PM

Enjoy it for what it is (fully) and don't mistake it for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2022 10:57 PM

It's OK, Miss OP, but don't let your crush reach the twenty-three-skidoo level.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2022 11:24 PM

It’s abnormal

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2022 11:37 PM

An odd time - the young are in a sex mania after being denied for 2 years. Us olds are getting some of the overflow sex.. No complaints - but I’m assuming the younguns move on and seek long term stability with similarly aged guys after the sex - a - palooza of 2022/23.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2022 1:55 AM

Yes, r18! I have been swimming in young ass. It sucks because I started to catch feelings with a guy 17 years younger. I know it’s just a stage he is going through and he will snap out of it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2022 3:13 AM

No more stories of crushes? It really does make life more interesting. I love my partner, but life is really short to not fuck around a little.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2022 4:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!