Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Im just started watching a movie and it had a warning "This film contains an unlikeable female protagonist"

WTF is that? When did that start?

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 4:39 PM

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 3:24 AM

What Julia Roberts movie was it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 3:25 AM

The MPAA requires it now for all Joan Crawford movies.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 3:26 AM

Abandon now or ye faith will not be restored.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 3:34 AM

It was intentional on the part of the film-makers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 3:35 AM

I believe it all started with Helen Lawson's third picture, "Unlikable Female."

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 3:37 AM

OP, I hadn't realized that Madonna had finished filming her bio pic.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 3:39 AM

Oh, I love Zoey Deutch! She was the best thing in Zombieland 2. And I loved her mom growing up and they look awfully similar, so I feel like we got a really cool do over with her.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 3:42 AM

Tongue in cheek or not, it’s very stupid. It assumes the audience has never spent time with an unlikeable protagonist in films or otherwise, and if they did, they’d have a hard time connecting with them. Or something. Sounds like something a female writer would come up with.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 3:42 AM

Was she...too....quirky, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 3:43 AM

And just how unlikable did she turn out to be?

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 3:44 AM

[quote]Sounds like something a female writer would come up with.

I was just saying in another thread that this place doesn't have nearly enough misogyny in it, so thanks for that post!! 🤗

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 3:44 AM

[Quote] "This film contains an unlikeable female protagonist"

As God is my witness, how many labels are they going to put on 'Gone With the Wind'? Do people really need to be warned that they might--just might--be offended by a movie? Fiddle fucking dee dee!

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 3:49 AM

Was her name Karen?

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 3:53 AM

[quote]Tongue in cheek or not, it’s very stupid. It assumes the audience has never spent time with an unlikeable protagonist in films or otherwise, and if they did, they’d have a hard time connecting with them. Or something. Sounds like something a female writer would come up with.

There are a lot of meta jokes in Not Okay. After the warning, it's divided into nine parts with title cards, something like "Frasier," all of which comment on the fact that it's a movie.

And it's pretty terrific. Zoey Deutch is very good, but there's an actress named Mia Isaac who is fan-fuckin-tastic playing a sort of cross between David Hogg and Amanda Gorman.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 4:02 AM

Daryl Zanuck had it put at the beginning of Leave Her to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 4:13 AM

OP here - I didn't realize it was joke (or intended to be). It should have said "this film is unwatchable". PU!

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 4:21 AM

Poe's Law strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 4:25 AM

Honestly, is there any movie where the protagonist is completely likable throughout the whole movie, regardless of gender?

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 4:27 AM

r9 trying desperately to keep the culture wars alive, even after being told it was a joke from the filmmakers.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 4:34 AM

[quote] Oh, I love Zoey Deutch! She was the best thing in Zombieland 2. And I loved her mom growing up and they look awfully similar, so I feel like we got a really cool do over with her.

I love her. She's a good case for nepotism. I'll take her over people like Zoe Kravitz or Rumer "Potato Head" Willis any day now.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 4:35 AM

Zoey owes everything to her Mom, the great Patti.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 4:45 AM

Women are infallible

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 4:52 AM

Yes, this is a real thing. The younger generations are so pathetic that they’re precious little feelings have to be spared from knowing that the culture wasn’t as PC 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 4:55 AM

*their

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote]Yes, this is a real thing. The younger generations are so pathetic that they’re precious little feelings have to be spared from knowing that the culture wasn’t as PC 50 years ago.

Again: it's part of the meta-joke the movie is making about the current culture.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 5:00 AM

r19 Babe. 100%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 5:14 AM

R26. No. I’ve seen these kinds of warnings preceding old movies.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote]I love her. She's a good case for nepotism.

I remember her from Ringer, the Sarah Michelle Gellar show about the twin who took over her (seemingly) dead sister's life. She was the bitchy step daughter and I remember thinking, wow, in someone else's hands, this would be a terrible caricature of a bitchy step daughter, but she's oddly compelling as a bitchy step daughter and kinda sympathetic.

Didn't see her in anything again until Zombieland 2, and after that, I was a fan.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 5:30 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that warning was used in "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 5:57 AM

[quote]I believe it all started with Helen Lawson's third picture, "Unlikable Female."

I love that movie!

I think that was released just before her series of Blaxploitation movies in the early 1970s...I always especially loved "White Mama, Black Heat"!

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 6:40 AM

^ I really loved that scene where Helen pegged Ken Norton with a big strap-on in that movie!

I'd never seen anything like that at the movies!

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 6:43 AM

Later, after Helen fucked the guy who was head of the Hollywood Hays office, in charge of those disclaimers, they changed it to:

"This film has a real cunt as the female lead."

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 6:46 AM

Buck would never have countenanced such a warning on "Ordinary People"!

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 6:48 AM

^ Helen's agent sent the Hayes Office a case of Helenesque perfume, but it didn't placate them.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 6:50 AM

Faye Dunaway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 7:04 AM

I Saw What You Did?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 7:09 AM

I could see it used on a Hillary biopic, but people would already be aware of that.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 7:36 AM

It's got to be this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 7:41 AM

[Quote] Oh, I love Zoey Deutch! She was the best thing in Zombieland 2. And I loved her mom growing up and they look awfully similar, so I feel like we got a really cool do over with her.

I thought Zoey was charming in Vampire Academy and Flower. Dylan stans don't like her so i'm sure their sex scene in Not Okay where he calls her character a damaged girl went over well.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 11:54 AM

Did you faint dead away, OP?

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 1:49 PM

It’s so hard to do Irony these days

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!