Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been harshly critiqued by your boss…

Even though you’re doing a really good job at your workplace, and your boss actually acknowledges, that you’re doing a really good job?

I’m working at an office that is ABSOLUTELY very temporary for me.

It’s not a career I want, nor is it a career that has a great trajectory, however, I’m doing it currently and temporarily, because I am purposely attempting to get back into a routine that demands accountability.

I’m early every day. I do what’s expected of me, and I meet my goals on a daily basis. More importantly, I meet the goals of my employer, on a daily basis.

That being said, yesterday, my direct supervisor gave me a rundown as to why I’m not meeting the company’s expectations, because my numbers are low in one of their expectations formulas, yet I’m exceeding expectations in their sales opportunities, because I’m spending more time developing customer relationships, which is precisely the reason why I have high prospect numbers, and my boss acknowledges this.

I’m actually not phased by this at all. I’m old enough now to understand the insane and dichotomous expectations companies place on employees. Show high results, yet get shafted because as an employee, you are so good, you should be able to have higher results, rather than steady and above expectations, results.

Greedy people suck. They suck especially, when they’re your employer.

I’m so happy I’m back to studying and that I’ve chosen to pursue a serious career, that allows me to work remotely and get the job done, without emotional manipulation and the bullshit one deals with when one is involved in sales jobs.

I will be out of there soon, and I know this, so I’m not really bothered by it, and have learned to not take shit like this too seriously, or even give that much of a fuck, but I really do understand why today’s youth are just sick AF when working for companies that give mixed messaging, ESPECIALLY when they’re excelling at their jobs and doing shit by the book.

People are sick of this crap. They’re sick of being told how good they are at their jobs. They’re sick of reviewing data that UNDOUBTEDLY proves they’re excelling at their jobs, yet being told that going above and beyond, isn’t good enough.

I get it. I understand The Great Resignation.

Working on corporate America is nothing but a HUGE gaslighting experience.

Fuck these assholes who demand blood because they’re slaves to shitty business models and quarterly Wall Street expectations.

It’s not sustainable, and I understand why every generation seethe with dejection resulting in profound resentment.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 2:48 AM

it sounds like a tech company which routinely uses the productivity stats just to PIP you!

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 1:28 AM

Oh god why did I read this?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 1:28 AM

Yeah, why did you read this, R2? Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 1:31 AM

You sure wrote a lot for someone who's "not phased by this at all."

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 1:31 AM

Well, r3. I’m bored. I’m tired. I’m feeling bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 1:33 AM

R1, aren’t PIPs the worst?

Trust me when I say that almost EVERY sector runs the bullshit, PIP game. It’s not uniquely applied to the tech sector. It’s pretty much ran on every employee in every fucking sector in modern America.

Arcane bullshit for the masses is what Capitalism does best.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 1:35 AM

E4, you present as someone who has ZERO ability for appreciating or creating commentary, of the world in which you live, without understanding that one can be or not be affected or disaffected, by the real world practices impugned upon the working class, as a result of arcane capitalism.

Now please, kindly fuck off, as you haven’t much to offer to this conversation, other than your staid, myopic view of the world in which you live.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 1:52 AM

R4, not E4

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 1:53 AM

You sound bothered. It's a temporary job.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 1:59 AM

R9, I’m actually not bothered. I’m observing something and commenting upon it on DL.

What DOES bother me is that after decades upon decades of frustration and futility, this business model doesn’t change, because it cannot, as it was principled upon shaky ground, in its inception.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 2:05 AM

Just say.....Yes master , no master ,please dont beat me master....and he will be so freaked out he will be a loss for words.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 2:23 AM

As the wind blows so do your ratings. There's some directive from above to target some performance rating criterion this year or quarter. Or last year there were too many performance reviews that scored above 80% overall and this year goddamnit we're doing out lots of 70% ratings be aide average by definition mean means what most people do, right? Or your manager has no idea of this yet and may only figure it out after the fact but we're targeting people who have have had the same position for three years or more, bearing down hard with negative scores in one difficult to measure aspect of performance -- this way if we decide in the third quarter to schedule a big thinning of the herd we can target people whose salaries are starting to cost us (we'll replace these people in the second quarter next year with fresh from college hires.) Etc. Etc.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 2:41 AM

*we're doling out lots of 70% ratings because average

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 2:43 AM

I got an excellent performance review, a step raise and got fired! Technically my job was eliminated, but they hired someone to do my work for cheaper after I was gone,

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 2:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!