Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

States where all the people have a similar look…

You can’t say this about every state (although I haven’t been to them all) but some states seem to have people that all look the same or similar look about them. So much so that you could pick them out in other states if they were to be in a crowd of visitors.

This is all changing rapidly of course as there is a lot of migration going on but generally speaking, do you agree that some states produce a similar look and if so which ones?

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 12:13 PM

My examples would be New Jersey. Florida. Hawaii and North Carolina all for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 11:17 PM

West Virginia of course.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 11:20 PM

Not a state but all women in Beverly Hill and most of LA have that alien look … think Heather from RHBH

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 11:23 PM

Yeah, I didn’t do cities on purpose but what the hell. We can include those too.

But I thought this thread would be a hit. Maybe everybody blocked me?

Anyhoo. Thanks the one person for participating even though you named cities. I’ll take what I can get.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 11:29 PM

Cities I thought would be too easy.

Portland.

Los Angeles.

The Hamptons.

Miami.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 11:31 PM

I don’t know that I could pick someone out from West Virginia in a crowd versus say someone from Mississippi.

Educate me.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 11:33 PM

I second West Virginia. Everyone I've known or seen from there looks round-faced and is usually quite fat.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 11:33 PM

North Carolina people all have a similar look. I don’t know how to describe it. I don’t know how South Carolina plays into this but I could most likely spot someone from NC in a crowd. And have calibrated it (asked people) to see if I was crazy. But it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 11:35 PM

Petiole from New Jersey also stand out to me. If you take somewhere neutral like Las Vegas you can test this. I do a lot of people watching.

In Vegas you can really tell because a.) everyone is a visitor and b.) there are tons of people. You can sit back and guess and then ask every once in a while or you find out through meeting and socializing and can refine it over time.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 11:38 PM

To me it’s just certain states though so I’m wondering if there are others.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 11:39 PM

I live in NJ and consider it to be one of the most diverse states of all. What look are you thinking of? Italian?

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 12:00 AM

Any bumfuck Republican states where incest worse than among 16-17th century Habsburgs is considered normal.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 12:07 AM

Wisconsin, fat ass and beer belly. Men and women.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 12:12 AM

R1 if you live in the state or spend time on the state you can’t tell. A fish can’t see the water.

But for NJ there is a bluntness to them in their appearance. When it comes to Nj there is always a single tell. It’s different with each person or group of NJers out of town. Maybe it’s the eyebrows. Maybe it’s the haircut. Maybe it’s the glare They walk a certain way. Not always these things together but there will always be one thing that is distinctively NJ. Also they all keep a similar resting face. I’m not talking stereotypes because some are not so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 12:27 AM

Florida is because they all wear the visor, capris and protective sunglasses. They have a gait and posture about them that mimics and active but elderly person, with waIning dexterity but not low on energy. Even the younger people there seem to adopt this silhouette. The sun kissed (or ravaged) skin and dry, brittle (fried) hair complete the look.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 12:30 AM

I would say the “Pacific Northwestern” set has a certain look.

But then it’s hard to tell them from the Utah/Colorado set.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 12:32 AM

I guess if they are walking around in spurs and a cowboy hat they are probably from Texas (or maybe OK).

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 12:34 AM

The Arizona/New Mexico set has look too come to think of it.

Think artesian jewelry with turquoise and thick, expensive glasses with colored and patterned frames. Chunky shaws, textured layers and natural fabrics. Aztec influences but preferably not on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 12:37 AM

Wyoming. A sturdy but above all grim visaged people.

They all look as though they have just had the news if having lost everything, or the diagnosis of s terminal disease.

Not a hint of happiness or contentment anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 12:38 AM

If you get away from coastal Oregon there are towns where a lot of people look alike.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 12:38 AM

Alabama

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 12:39 AM

Where is everybody tonight?

I better hear some might good stories tomorrow about all the fun everybody had tonight while they were missing this thread.

I hope everyone is getting laid and having a party and swinging from the chandeliers.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 12:39 AM

In the 20th century a lot of the white people from western Kansas and Nebraska, Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle had a similar look: tall, not overweight, leaning forward when they walk or talk to you. Either a friendly whooping manner or a Clint Eastwood-like reserve. Most descended from German settlers, but a completely different stock from the uber-blonde Nordic people in Minnesota and the Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 12:50 AM

R21, sadly, all the incestuous ass-fucking going in AlaBUMa doesn't seem to work as a proper method of contraception.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote] Petiole from New Jersey also stand out to me. for NJ there is a bluntness to them in their appearance. When it comes to Nj there is always a single tell. It’s different with each person or group of NJers out of town. Maybe it’s the eyebrows. Maybe it’s the haircut. Maybe it’s the glare They walk a certain way. Not always these things together but there will always be one thing that is distinctively NJ. Also they all keep a similar resting face. I’m not talking stereotypes because some are not so obvious.

Yes because Meryl Streep, James Gandolfini, Jason Alexander, Jon Stewart, Brooke Shields and Ethan Hawke all have an identical look to them.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 12:58 AM

R25 We get it. You're from NJ and proud of it. I like that about you.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 1:02 AM

R7 I feel cruel saying this but there are a lot of former WVers in Baltimore who left the coal mines and moved to the mills and shipping. Anyway, what I noticed was very thin lips and weak chins. I’ll try to find a representative picture to see if anyone agrees with me.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 1:05 AM

Meant to post this to my comment above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote] Cities....The Hamptons.

Geographical Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 1:08 AM

Gays all look the same too

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 1:09 AM

I’d like to which states every poster to this thread were born in. Your parents too. Then I’m gonna sit here and dissect why you’re not as good as I am because I’m bored and do not have anything better to do tonight.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 1:11 AM

The first time I went to Minnesota, I thought all the women were lesbians, but there are just a lot of them with that no-makeup, just off the farm look, even if they have never worked on a farm in their life.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 1:14 AM

From where do you hale from?

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 1:16 AM

Planet Zoltar

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 1:23 AM

There are a bunch of blonde people in Utah with an eerily clean cut look. Like Stepford people.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 1:30 AM

Southern California

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 1:37 AM

R25 And don't forget Dionne Warwick, Eva Marie Saint, Bruce Springsteen, Jack Nicholson, Jon Bon Jovi, Michael Landon, Brian Keith, Danny DeVito, Frank Sinatra, Tom Cruise, Nathan Lane, John Travolta, Peter Dinklage, John Amos, Brian DePalma, Joe Pesci, Queen Latifah, Fran Leibowitz, Chelsea Handler, Kelly Ripa, Lou Costello, Flip Wilson, Martha Stewart, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris ,Anne Hathaway, Michael Douglas, David Copperfield, Connie Francis, Frankie Valli, Whitney Houston, John Forsythe, Sandra Dee, Kirsten Dunst, Ice-T, Norman Mailer, Marilyn McCoo. Linda Tripp . . .

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 1:56 AM

Another vote for Wisconsin, where not only do you see a plethora of fat asses and bulging bellies, you see this Midwestern broad face and slightly empty eyes, making for a constant dull expression. The whole vibe is of a people from the same family who haven't quite woken up yet. (Madison, by the way, doesn't count, it's a college town; and of course, half of Milwaukee, the most segregated city in the country, is also different as there are actually people of color there.)

Btw, when the average white dude in Wisconsin starts to talk, that droning flat monotone will put you into the same soporific state they're already in.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 2:16 AM

Massachusetts

Bipolarity

FrauNation

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 3:53 AM

Southerners dress a certain way.

Conservative but with bright colors.

Preppy.

Overly tanned and fried hair for the lower classes. Very white blonde highlights, sensible bobs for the higher classes.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 4:26 AM

I've noticed people are losing their regional accents. Distinctive Long Island, Texas, etc. accents are fading

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 4:29 AM

In southern Ohio, there seem to be a lot of people with that sunken in face look. Almost as if they don't have teeth, when they actually do.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 7:40 AM

Is the chick in R28's pic one of Trump's many bastard kids he forgot to pay the abortion for? The weak chin is a dead giveaway and she might even have the Trumpian anus mouth although you can't see it in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 10:38 AM

I think if you’re talking about Down-the-Jersey there can be a look (and definitely a vibe!), but Jersey City is one of the most diverse cities in the country and at this point feels much more like the 5th borough than Staten Island ever did. JC has truly morphed into Brooklyn 2.0. I would assume these people were New Yorkers before New Jersey residents if I met them out of their geographic context.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 10:50 AM

Generally you can count the range of faces for a particular race (e.g. Germanic or Nordic) on 5 or 10 fingers. (And when eugenics was popular, before it was tarred by racism, people enjoyed doing it.) So states with a high early migration rate from one or two specific countries inevitably displayed commonalities.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 10:59 AM

In Tennessee, they seemed to often look like rats and pigs.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 11:46 AM

Pray tell when was this before time, in the long ago that eugenics was "untarred by racism", R45?

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 12:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!