Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I really wish they would stop

putting people with Down Syndrome in films/series/commercials/social media.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 6:30 PM

I suggest using Up Syndrome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 10:33 PM

They make me so uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 10:48 PM

Well, perhaps we can just murder them all. Would you like that, OP? Then you wouldn't have to deal with at all.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 10:57 PM

They make you uncomfortable, OP, because they are adding something of value to society. You are not.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 10:58 PM

OP, I'm like you and always felt bad because I know it's me who has the issue. But I also realized why they make me uncomfortable...it's because I can read most people really well as far as emotions/moods/dispositions, etc. But when it comes to people who have downs or any other syndrome that causes this, I cannot read them at all. You have grown adults who look and act like children (through no fault of their own) and it messes with the patterns with which we know how to communicate. I never know if I'm supposed to talk to them like children or adults and so I simply avoid them. I feel the same with anyone who proclaims they are "non binary" or "trans" although in those cases, it's because I simply don't like having to play pretend with grown adults. I'll avoid them at all costs because they get offended if you somehow forget to play along and well, I don't need that kind of bullshit in my life.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 11:39 PM

You're odd to me, OP. Just soo very odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 11:52 PM

r5, maybe it's that…or maybe it's just instinctual animal revulsion to a defective member of the species. Other animals either eat the defective ones or just leave them to die. Maybe it also bothers me that they also have no chance at…whatever since they're defective down to a chromosomal level.

And, yeah, maybe I'm a prick. But I don't go around kicking them or wishing them harm, they just make my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 11:57 PM

R5 was really interesting.

There will be a LOT more people with Downs running around now with all these abortion restrictions. Downs is a major reason for abortion.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 12:04 AM

I can count to potato

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 12:10 AM

Downies can work in office like a 10-year-old factotum. Not all hope is lost on them though.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 12:35 AM

[quote]I really wish they would stop putting people with Down Syndrome in films/series/commercials/social media

Hey OP - they let you in HERE, didn't they?!?

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 12:38 AM

Sad but true

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 12:40 AM

[quote]maybe it's that…or maybe it's just instinctual animal revulsion to a defective member of the species.

R7, my middle sis and I have this conversation frequently. When she was a kid she had VERY specific ideas of what was beautiful...and not. She actually would *pinch* boys in her elementary school who offended her sensibilities (and were unlucky enough to fall within arm's reach). She's quite contrite today, and is sure there are grown-ass men out there who are living with the bullying shit she put out there when she was a kid.

In fact, this sister is the one who on her last visit home asked me if one of the ratchet raccoons who've taken over our block, is "special" (her word). She does all our landscaping when she's here, so is outside a lot. She noticed one raccoon that is REALLY odd--not rabid or otherwise dangerous, just very very weird. When we put cat and dog kibble out for them, all the other raccoons will rough-talk him and run him off, even though there's food enough for everyone (nine, by my last count).

Since Sis brought it to my attention, now I can't unsee it.

As a bit of an eccentric myself, I can't help feeling sorry for that raccoon, but they're all such nasty creatures with a HUGE spirit of take-overing wherever they go, so my sympathy doesn't go far.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 1:05 AM

OP, I give you credit for being honest. I'm uncomfortable around Downs people or any physically disabled person and try to force myself to interact with them to prove to myself I can do it. But sometimes I can't.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 1:09 AM

Does anyone here like to poke them to see their reactions?

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 1:11 AM

Your discomfort is your problem, not theirs. The have every right to be in a commercial or any form of media and should be encourages to do so. Whoever doesn't like it should not watch. There is always the opportunity to go on DL and talk about Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote] There is always the opportunity to go on DL and talk about Sondheim.

That's sheer folly!

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 1:15 AM

Guys with DS always have nice phat butts - something I've noticed.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 1:36 AM

One of my friends has a brother with Down Syndrome. Maybe get out more and meet different people.

FF & Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 1:41 AM

[quote] Guys with DS always have nice phat butts - something I've noticed.

You could be in for a “Dat’s da rom job!” moment.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 1:55 AM

A.lot of straight people say that about gays, OP. Sometimes I'm amazed at the lack of empathy gays show for innocent children.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 8:06 AM

[quote] it's just instinctual animal revulsion to a defective member of the species. Other animals either eat the defective ones

[quote]But I don't go around kicking them or wishing them harm

No, but you DO want to eat them, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 8:12 AM

Look at the homophobe at r21 comparing homosexuality to lacking an entire fucking chromosome, you piece of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!