Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Distraught Bill Maher Says Mar-a-Lago Raid Is ‘Saving’ Trump’s Political Future: ‘His Fortune Was Finally Falling!’

While many might not view an FBI raid of one’s property as entirely good news, Bill Maher is declaring Donald Trump as the “luckiest man in the world” after the FBI searched his Mar-a-Lago property.

On HBO’s Real Time on Friday, Maher took his usual digs at Trump — even jokingly bringing out some fake items recovered at Mar-a-Lago, including a “pee tape” — but he questioned whether the former president knew he was in possession of classified materials.

“I just think he was like, ‘They’re mine! I live here! I put it in those boxes! I get to take my boxes!'” the comedian said.

Maher acknowledged Attorney General Merrick Garland likely wouldn’t have signed off on the search if it were not serious, but he lamented the fact that this raid allows Trump to play the “victim” and likely saves him politically.

“His fortune was finally falling. The Big Lie was finally losing momentum. [Ron] DeSantis was beating him in the polls — you know who hates this more than anybody? DeSantis,” Maher said.

Trump, he added at one point, must have “sold his soul to devil” because he is the “luckiest man in the world.” Now, Maher argued, Trump has become a martyr.

“I had this in the bag, and now I gotta run against President Martyr,” Maher joked about DeSantis’ reaction to the news of the raid. “And this is saving Trump politically because now, of course, all the Republicans — what do they do?”

Fox Nation host Piers Morgan argued that President Joe Biden also benefits from the raid, if it does indeed better set up Trump as his likeliest opponent in 2024.

“If you’re Joe Biden, who would you rather face — Donald Trump who has all the baggage, who has the Jan. 6 investigation ranging a number of legal actions, all this stuff now… or would you rather face a much younger, more dynamic DeSantis who hasn’t had the baggage?” Morgan said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2022 6:50 AM

So basically allow people to break the law for political purposes. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 9:09 PM

I'm convinced now this motherfucker is a double agent.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 9:25 PM

Oh please. Why is Bill Maher pretending that Trump didn't know he had classified top secret material.?That was the whole point of stealing it. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and N. Korea ain't gonna buy copies White House State Dinner menus and Melania's Rose Garden destruction blueprints.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 9:26 PM

Bill Maher really understands Trump. Trump is a monster who,lives on attention. It doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad. Plus the media feasts on Trump. I’m ready for another story to dominate the news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 9:26 PM

It’s original, penetrating insights like this that made Maher the leading political scientist of our time.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 9:27 PM

I’m watching it now and Mediate is being very disingenuous with its characterization.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 9:29 PM

Straight douche Bill Maher doesn't deserve multiple threads every time one of his show airs

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 9:29 PM

Piers Morgan is a “Fox Nation host” now??

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 9:29 PM

Saving his political future is different from scandalizing his crimes.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 9:31 PM

Good. Saving his political future means another Democratic victory in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 9:32 PM

[quote]Bill Maher really understands Trump. Trump is a monster who,lives on attention. It doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad.

That's rich coming from someone talking about Bill Maher. Maher is doing the exact same thing. All his contrarian shit is to get him attention, good or bad.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 9:38 PM

R11, it wasn’t a contrarian discussion at all.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 9:40 PM

Alternatively: Trump is indicted, is ruled ineligible to run, allowing DeSantis to win the primaries, becoming the GOP nominee, is able to attract both Trump supporters and Never Trumpers, and crushes the Dem nominee in 2024.

Lesson: be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 9:41 PM

What on earth is that tie he’s wearing?

It looks like a truckload of free mulch.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 9:41 PM

He used to be pretty engaging and edgy as far as comedic commentators go. He'd say stuff some of us were thinking. He had a certain wryness about him but now he just seems cranky. Now he is old, dull, cantankerous. He's like Dave Chappelle. They just lost their magic touch.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 9:41 PM

He’s such a full of shit troll desperate for ratings.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 9:55 PM

Trump's malignant narcissism will never permit him to allow DeCantseemytoes to win. He will do everything in his power to ruin his chances. If course, DeSantis could promise to grant trump a pardon if he helps him win the WH. Then DeSantis could not keep his word.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 9:58 PM

R12, he is literally the only one saying this was good for Trump and has saved his political future. He takes stock of what is being said on any given topic and then either goes way beyond it or contradicts it for attention.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 10:07 PM

R18, that’s not what he was saying at all. In context it was saving his future in the Republican party since martyrdom seems to work well for him.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 10:50 PM

R19, he literally said it in the quoted parts of the original post. Calls him the luckiest man ever because of the raid giving him political fodder and says, "And this is saving Trump politically because now, of course, all the Republicans — what do they do?”.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 11:01 PM

R20, context matters. What he said was relative to his standing in the Republican Party and it’s true. Two weeks ago Trump’s star was waning a bit and now it’s not. He knows how to work the martyr angle.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 5:06 PM

Bill Maher is an idiot. Stop listening to him.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 5:12 PM

He’s right. Trump now gets to be martyr. Trump supporters Believe the raid is proof that trump is being persecuted by the government

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 5:16 PM

They already believed that, and no one else does.

If DOJ charges Trump, DeSantis is cleared for a functionally unopposed 2024 run. But he's in a bad spot when he gets asked if he will pardon Trump. He needs to say yes to not piss off the base he needs to turn out to win, but he needs to say no to not drive away the independents he also needs to win.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 5:20 PM

Oh, please. Trump and his minions have thought of him as a martyr for his entire existence. This hasn't changed anything. Maher has become a slightly intelligent jester at this point saying what he says for attention because he's only slightly less narcissistic and attention whoring than Trump himself. And, I already know his fanboys vociferously disagree...just like Trump's fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 5:51 PM

Oh? Is that show still on?

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote]This hasn't changed anything. Maher has become a slightly intelligent jester at this point saying what he says for attention because he's only slightly less narcissistic and attention whoring than Trump himself. And, I already know his fanboys vociferously disagree...just like Trump's fanboys.

There was absolutely nothing Maher said about Trump that was the least bit controversial or trollish, so much so that it makes me wonder if a faction on the left is trying to drum up controversy to take him out.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 7:47 PM

Given that Trump is a master at using all the medias it would have been smarter to keep the raid under wraps until they were ready to release some concrete findings to the public. It is not speculation that Trump can use this politically to fuel up his base, it is also not speculation to say giving him anything to use as momentum at this time is detrimental to the left for the upcoming elections.

Keeping attention away from Trump is the best thing that can be done it's cutting his political balls off.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 7:54 PM

First, stop referring to the FBI search as "a raid." It wasn't a raid, it was a search. They didn't kill anybody, they didn't arrest anybody, they didn't detain anybody, and Maraslago goes on to operate as a country club for spies another day.

Second, it's pretty fucking concrete that the FBI and DOJ is investigating Trump for violations of the Espionage Act. That they got a Trump-appointed judge to sign off on the warrant shows that they have concrete evidence. The DOJ would never have asked the court to un-seal the warrant and put it out there for the world to see exactly what they were alleging if they didn't think they had an excellent chance of proving it.

In fact, it was a smart strategy for the FBI to execute the warrant and let Trump be the spokemouth to tell the world about it. When you're dealing with someone like Trump (and thankfully, there aren't many like Trump), no matter what you do, he's going to play the martyr. That's ben his MO since the day he glided down his golden escalator to the paid professional crowd's cheers. Garland and the DOJ knew exactly what they were doing, and they were prepared. And the bottom line is that if you think the MAGAts overreacted to this, just imaging how they'd have reacted if they had kept the investigation under wraps and instead waited until they arrested Trump and frog-march him in front of the cameras... there would have been rioting and violence across the nation as the MAGAts saw their dear leader handcuffed and lead off to prison.

There has been one constant refrain — by those who know — since news broke that Trump was under investigation: we have no idea how serious this is, and likely never will. The stuff Trump has stolen and sold is so classified that we'll never see it. If you think what has come out already is bad for Trump, just wait. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

As far as Bill Maher... he's a libertarian:

[quote]when asked, he has been explicit about his ideology: “I’m a libertarian,” he said to Rolling Stone (4/13/11). “I would be a Republican if they would. Which means that I like the Barry Goldwater Republican Party, even the Reagan Republican Party.” His choice in naming the two figures whose mission was to upend the liberal order, often through appeals to racism and white nationalism, is telling.... "I want a mean old man to watch my money,” he added. “Because government is a sieve that takes as much money as it can and gives it away, usually needlessly.”

And so, I will leave you with this axiom: not all idiots are libertarian, but all libertarians are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote] First, stop referring to the FBI search as "a raid." It wasn't a raid, it was a search

A "search" with drawn machine guns redefines the term much like 9% inflation becomes no inflation and $400 billion of fresh climate change spending becomes an anti-inflation bill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 11:13 PM

Oh please. Of course the FBI showed up with guns; it's their job. No one was shot. No one had a gun pointed at them. There were lawyers present despite Cheeto's claims; one of his attorneys was on Fox News undermining the claims that there was no Trump representative present, and their signature on the forms/receipts for the materials confiscated that the FBI was required to leave behind proves it.

It was a search, period.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 11:34 PM

Claiming Trump will come off as a martyr and that this will not hurt him politically is just Maher playing the odds--so many other things have failed to take him down.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 11:37 PM

How about let's focus on the fact that he must have had truly horrifying stuff for the biggest piece of white bread to ever exist, Merrick Garland, to sign off on this. We can start the usual horserace shit later. Of course Bill now has to do and say something outrageous every week to keep getting any attention.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 11:40 PM

I still can't believe the massive hard on people have here for this libertarian douchebag. The ones who insist he's a leftist and not an obvious libertarian are the biggest idiots.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 11:42 PM

You do know that there’s such a thing as being a leftist-libertarian, r34?

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 11:45 PM

I think as the horrifying facts regarding the classified material which tweety took home to Florida becomes more and more obvious, that the “victim defense ” will lose quite a bit of momentum.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 11:48 PM

R35, Bill Maher is not a leftist and what you're describing (or not, actually) isn't remotely common. There are anarchist libertarians but they're not really to be taken seriously, either.

Bill Maher is a conservative who likes weed and paying for his girlfriends' abortions. He's not remotely leftist in any real way. He's been the water boy for third way neolibs/neocons for a generation at this point. It's laughable that anyone sees him as remotely leftist at this point.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 11:53 PM

So, the full-throated defenses of him of not saying what he actually said or missing the context on this thread are from other libertarians. That explains a lot.

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2022 12:00 AM

[quote]Bill Maher is not a leftist and what you're describing (or not, actually) isn't remotely common.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote]So, the full-throated defenses of him of not saying what he actually said or missing the context on this thread are from other libertarians. That explains a lot.

There’s nothing he said that wasn’t said today on the Sunday shows. Not sure what needs to be said… If you want a transcript then I suggest you watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2022 12:06 AM

Show me all these quotes from others saying that this was good for Trump and proves how lucky he is, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2022 12:10 AM

HOGAN: There’s a lot more that has to come out. I would say, you know, this week it was actually a win for Donald Trump. It seemed to motivate his base and people were rushing to his defense and feeling as if he was being picked upon and martyred. But I don’t think, you know, we’ve seen the end of the story yet.

by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2022 12:15 AM

And, r41…here’s a thought…WATCH THE FUCKING SHOWS BEFORE COMMENTING

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2022 12:16 AM

When Bill Maher says the exact same thing as my married, Staten Island-residing, retired ex-NYPD cop brother, then Bill's a total fraud and as conservative as Bill O'Reilly.

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2022 12:19 AM

R42, you are literally quoting a Repug who would gladly slurp up the leavings of Trump after a spicy Mexican meal. You can't quote his spinmaster in defense of Maher unless you're going to agree that Maher is also acting like a Trump spinmaster.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2022 12:21 AM

R45, no kidding sparky…first, that was Maher’s point that Trump was elevated amongst REPUBLICANS. Not the general electorate. REPUBLICANS.

And second… you’re showing your ignorance about Hogan… here’s Karl’s introduction if him…

[quote]Donald Trump’s allies weren’t alone in raising concerns about the FBI’s execution of that search warrant at Mar-a-Lago. Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, who has long been one of Trump’s toughest critics within the party also expressed concerns that the action could divide the country. Governor Hogan joins us now here in the studio. Governor, let me ask you, you -- you are no friend of Donald Trump.

He’s a Never fucking Trumper, r45. But, please go on with your alternative facts…

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2022 12:34 AM

I am not impressed with Bill Maher’s predictions. He’s been wrong before multiple tiles. He wants his opinions to come across as unique and surprising, if not sort of shocking.

Trump is not going to add newcomers to his fan base. People who already reject him are not flipping. He may make his core supporters more fervent and fuel their anger, but his opposition has a new list of reasons to deem him unfit to hold office again.

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2022 12:41 AM

^times, not tiles

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2022 12:43 AM

R46, anyone who's going on news shows now and pretending this is good for Trump is a Trump slurper.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2022 12:56 AM

R46, you're a libertarian, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2022 12:56 AM

No, r50, I’m not.

R49…And anyone pretending it didn’t doesn’t have a fucking clue.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2022 1:03 AM

[quote]Bill's a total fraud and as conservative as Bill O'Reilly.

I'm not so sure:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2022 1:07 AM

I think Bill Maher’s time has passed. I don’t hate him, but he’s become predictable. Predictable as your Trumptard uncle at Thanksgiving. His brain still works though, and he needs to demonstrate that more often. He is starting to become the neighborhood crank who yells at kids to “get off (his) lawn.” Sad. Don’t go out like this Bill!

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2022 3:05 AM

Calling him predictable for not marching in rigid lockstep with the hive mind.

Just call him a Thought Criminal.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2022 3:15 AM

No, R54, he's predictably contrarian which is what we've been saying this entire thread. Saying the opposite of everything all the time is also, by definition, hive mind, ya idiot.

It's so weird that Bill Maher, of all people, has such fervent fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2022 3:26 AM

But he didn’t say anything controversial or contrarian, r55. R54 is right…this is thought police shit on this one.

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2022 3:28 AM

His fans can't tolerate any criticism of their hero. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2022 3:35 AM

LOL…same can be said about you, r57. All the whining when he says something you don’t agree with is way more pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2022 3:37 AM

Yes, toss around "hive mind" and "thought police" while swearing up and down you're not conservative. Throw in a "sheeple" and an anti-mask diatribe while you're at it. So credible, mimicking conservatives while claiming not to be one. You sound exactly like one. Much like your boy BM.

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2022 3:38 AM

If the shoe fits, r59, it fits…🤷

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2022 3:39 AM

That's not whining, it's ridicule.

We're laughing at you. You're laughably out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2022 3:40 AM

No…it’s whining. It’s definitely whining and it’s pretty much every week.

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2022 3:40 AM

He's a contrarian. How the hell will Trump run for POTUS after this? At best, he'd finish last in a Rethug primary.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2022 3:44 AM

Bill Maher knows nothing.

Being charged with espionage might make the few hundred crazed Trumpanzees go on killing rampages, but elections are lost in the middle and soft Dems and soft Republicans understand the seriousness of stealing top secret intel to sell to America's enemies. I'm certain Garland has that evidence already as well.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2022 3:52 AM

How much is HBO spending on Twitter and other social media site pushing Maher as being “edgy” and “controversial” in an attempt to get people to hate-watch him

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2022 3:54 AM

Maher's real job is to get everyone bitching about him once a week. He trends every single weekend on the bird app so he's doing a great job.

It's been his schtick for decades now. It's fun to see people getting all wound up about whatever the fuck he's talking about and then forget about it completely by the next week's outrage du jour.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2022 3:56 AM

Hey, fanboys, give us a "controversial" topic that Bill has taken a stand on recently and, without looking it up, I bet we can guess what his position was.

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2022 3:57 AM

Why are we stuck with a stand-up comedian as the arbiter of national politics?

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2022 4:00 AM

Jon Stewart is making a career of the very same fodder.

Somehow he absolutely pretends his Hillary bashing was shameful and is so far up the NYFD/NYPD assholes he won't slap them into reality faces or shame them for their almost unanimous votes for Republicans, the very same Republicans who fucked around the Zadroga bill funding for fifteen fucking years!

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote]Hey, fanboys, give us a "controversial" topic that Bill has taken a stand on recently and, without looking it up, I bet we can guess what his position was.

This has to be the dumbest comment yet. You do realize that it’s not hard to guess anyone’s position based on their stated ideology, right?

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2022 4:24 AM

You really are a fucking moron, aren't you, R70? The entire fucking point is that he doesn't have an ideology. He's just a contrarian and he does it for attention. So, he will not have a coherent position on any given topic because his position will depend on which way the political/cultural winds are blowing. Whichever way it is, he'll go the opposite direction. He really does have a whole bunch of fervent little fanboys, most likely libertarian incels.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2022 6:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!