Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eleven dead in mass shooting in Montenegro, state prosecutor says

CETINJE, Montenegro (Reuters) -Eleven people, including two children and a gunman, were killed in a mass shooting in Montenegro on Friday, and six others were injured, a state prosecutor told Vijesti TV after an initial investigation of the crime scene.

Montenegro Police director Zoran Brdjanin said that around 3.30 p.m.(1330 GMT) a 34-year old man with a hunting rifle shot dead two siblings, one 8 years old and another 11 years old, and injured their mother who died later in the afternoon in a medical facility.

"The family was staying at the house of the shooter as tenants," Brdjanin said. He said the motive for the shooting was not yet known, and he did not give the name of the shooter but said he his initials were V.B.

The shooter then walked out of his house and killed another 7 people. In a shootout with the police, a policeman was injured, Brdjanin said.

"When we arrived at the scene we saw nine dead bodies, including two children, and another two passed away on their way to the hospital," Andrijana Nastic, a state prosecutor, told Vijesti TV.

"I can only say that the shooter was killed by a citizen (civilian)," Nastic said. Earlier, media reported that police had killed the shooter.

Montenegro's Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic said a three-day mourning period would be declared in the country starting Friday evening.

"I was deeply disturbed with reports about terrible tragedy in Cetinje. I express my deepest condolences to those families affected and all those who lost their loved ones," President Milo Djukanovic tweeted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 6:25 PM

This makes me think of the Moldavian wedding massacre.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 9:01 PM

The President declares a national 3 day mourning period for a mass shooting? MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 9:16 PM

Were the victims dressed in the Montenegro style?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 9:22 PM

r2 I don't think they've had a mass shooting since becoming independent, so this is pretty historic. Besides, their population is only 622k. A three-day mourning period is fully understandable when you know the context.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote] A three-day mourning period is fully understandable when you know the context.

And when you actually CARE about the people who died.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 9:25 PM

It was a sick joke meaning to highlight the many mass shootings in America that pass without any response whatsoever.

It would be great to live in a country where it's not a common occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 9:29 PM

Just the eleven?

Quaint.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 9:36 PM

Was the shooter hot? What about the police chief? Montenegrin men, like Serbian men, are way hotter than average, although of course not all are hot. But many are, and when they're hot - WOW, they're so virile and sexy the screen leaks testosterone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 12:25 AM

You mean Montana not Montenegro, right OP?

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 12:27 AM

R8 ooof, they are!

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 12:29 AM

I have no clue where Montenegro is.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 7:55 AM

R11 Head toward Croatia and hang a right.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 7:58 AM

Eviction notice, Montenegran style.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 8:00 AM

[Quote]This makes me think of the Moldavian wedding massacre.

Not everything is about you, Alexis.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 9:56 AM

What part of America is Montenegro in and why is it called such an offensive name?

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 11:05 AM

I’ve been to Cetinje. It’s beautiful and quaint city. Once the capital of Montenegro, it’s has a slew of former embassies that have been maintained and now used for other purposes. (The National Museum is also in Cetinje and not the capital, Podgorica.)

Montenegrins are warm and friendly. This is surely a shock to their system.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 11:09 AM

[quote]The President declares a national 3 day mourning period for a mass shooting? MARY!

Probably because in their country a mass shooting isn't an everyday event, as in the US, where we only slow down if more than 50 or so get killed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 11:18 AM

[quote] What part of America is Montenegro in and why is it called such an offensive name?

CANCEL THEM!

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 11:27 AM

What a horrible name for a country.

I would feel uncomfortable even saying it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 4:59 PM

Why?

It's Monte-neg (as in negative)-ro, not Monte-knee-gro

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 6:21 PM

Lol R20.

I'm a Miss Universe fan, and I remember Sanja Papic, Miss Serbia & Montenegro 2003 saying it "Mon-tay-nee-grow" during her introduction.

It was horrifying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!