Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have You Ever Drastically Changed One Career For Another?

Perhaps you were a lawyer, then became a paramedic. Or you were a plumber, then became a journalist. Something that had nothing to do whatsoever with your first profession. What made you change, and how do you feel your decision today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2023 12:32 AM

2 times. So 3 different careers. I'm fine with it. I'm 60 and want to do it again so I have a new career when I'm forced to retire my present one.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 2:57 PM

[Quote]I'm 60 and want to do it again so I have a new career when I'm forced to retire my present one.

What are you thinking of doing?

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 3:11 PM

I haven't a clue what to do next. I know it won't be entrepreneurial, consulting, or self employed - I don't like that.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 3:13 PM

Yes, I stopped practicing medicine and began a career in medical writing. I have just landed my first freelance job!

It doesn't pay nearly as much medicine but I am so happy to be free of being responsible for others, especially when they can't be bothered to take a care for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 4:01 PM

I went from being a sex worker from my teens to mid 20s, when I graduated from law school and became a lawyer. In a way, maybe I didn’t change careers. Both jobs involved screwing people and charging way too much.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 4:06 PM

Was a nuclear engineer for about 9 years, then became a lawyer. Liked the nuclear industry, but all the good jobs were way out in bumfuck. I met my now-husband, and that made me realize I wanted to live in a major city with him, so I switched to a career where I could easily work in any city.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 4:13 PM

^ What type of law affords you the luxury of easily working in "any" city? The bar exam is specific in many states with few worth living in giving reciprocity. Also, how do you build a client base?

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 4:28 PM

R5 Oh, you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 4:30 PM

R6, I was/am assuming you are in the United States. Apologies if you are not.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 4:38 PM

R7, after five years of Big Law, I moved in-house at a large non-profit and have been there almost 20 years. So if I moved to a non-profit in a different city, I could likely "waive in" to the bar of the new state (my state has reciprocity agreements with around 30 states, and rules are often more lax around practicing in-house), and I also would have no need to "build a client base".

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 5:00 PM

I was a pharmacist for 22 years, then changed to marine biologist. I couldn't take the druggies and the risk of being held at gunpoint more than once.

It's the best thing I ever did, and I've been happy in my job for 16 years. Now, at 60, I'm ready to retire.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 5:19 PM

Thanks, R10. I am a miserable attorney in a God-forsaken state who doesn't see many options or a way out.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 5:20 PM

R12, I'm sorry to hear that. If it's an option at all where you live, in-house can be a very nice lifestyle. No need to drum up business, just need to build respect among your in-house "clients" over time. I wish you happiness.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 5:23 PM

Worked as COO (Chief Operating Officer aka the C-person cleaning up after the CEO) in various startups. Hated every single one of the companies I worked for.

The long winter break during the pandemic made me realise I really want to be a composer for documentaries, film, tv, video games. Currently building my portfolio while doing a bit of freelancing (consulting) on the side.

This is not a linear trajectory, so wish me luck, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 5:24 PM

Good luck with your new career Dutchie!

-MD who left medicine

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 5:30 PM

Thank you, former medicine man!

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 5:33 PM

Former travel agent and insurance adjuster who went to med school in his mid-30s.

And yes, I landed in the specialty you're all thinking.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 6:33 PM

[Quote]And yes, I landed in the specialty you're all thinking.

R17 Dick doctor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 7:55 PM

Bariatric gerontology, so you could care for the Datalounge community, VOTN?

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 12:28 AM

I vas sex vorker too R5!

Then became "lady architect" and "fashion model" and now is Vairst Letty-in-Exile

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 12:31 AM

I went to law school at 40 after working my entire life in restaurants. But I guess working at Applebee's wouldn't really be considered a "career."

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 12:46 AM

Oh, yes.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 6:39 AM

I'm envious of gays who chose big careers (medicine, law, corporate, showbiz, etc.). To me it would take big balls to barge in and demand 'your place at the table'.

I always thought I should stay in the shadows and be...

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 6:46 AM

Yes, OP, I went from being a grifter to a criminal.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 6:58 AM

Bumping this as I’m sat at work not doing the work I should be doing as I can’t muster any shits to give (pointless corporate job). Seriously thinking about a total switch and doing something that helps animals/wildlife in some way. Still have a possible 25 years till official retirement age so it’s a long time to go.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2023 12:30 AM

R14: how’s the career change going so far? Any luck?

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2023 12:31 AM

R11: how did you start that switch? Did you go back to college to study marine biology? Full time or did you start studying while in your old job?

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2023 12:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!