Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Crawford Hated Lucille Ball

Ball also clashed with Joan Crawford during the filming of "Lucy & The Lost Star." Not being used to the sitcom format, Crawford was filled with trepidation and allegedly turned to alcohol to calm her nerves, which greatly displeased the notoriously demanding and perfectionistic Ball. After Crawford failed to perform a Charleston dance routine to Ball's satisfaction, Ball loudly threatened to fire her in front of the entire cast and crew, causing Crawford to flee to her dressing room in tears. There, she uttered the infamous quote: "And they call ME a bitch!" It is said that Desi Arnaz and Vanda Barra gave Crawford pep talks which helped get her through the shoot, and the episode became one of the biggest hits of the season when aired.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2022 11:02 PM

I wasn't fond of the bitch either.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 6:29 AM

Joan was a drunk by that time. Lucille could be harsh and brittle, but it's exasperating to have to work with somebody who's drunk. I'm sure Lucille probably could have handled it better, but Joan really needed to show up sober to work.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 6:29 AM

Wasn't Joan's appearance on The Lucy Show rather than ILL so why was Desi around giving pep talks?

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 6:57 AM

That's accurate, R3. Maybe the son gave the pep talk?

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 12:41 PM

What did Gary Morton think of her?

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 11:15 PM

Didn’t Lucille Ball also hit the bottle on a regular basis ?

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2022 1:57 PM

Yes, R6, but apparently never let it interfere with work.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2022 2:04 PM

R7 maybe because she was washing her Dexedrine down with vodka for 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2022 2:36 PM

Maybe, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]Joan Crawford Hated Lucille Ball

Christ is there ANYONE that woman got along with?!

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2022 2:57 PM

R10 You would know. You didn't want to work with Lucy either.

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2022 1:30 AM

And I trump both of you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2022 1:33 AM

I've got you all beat.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2022 1:51 AM

To paraphrase my Crystal Allen character to describe Lucille Désirée Ball:

“There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society... outside of a kennel.”

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2022 2:22 AM

But I knew where to get the booze AND the blow!

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2022 2:23 AM

Gary talked Joan out of her panties.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2022 2:24 AM

Love posters talking about this like they were there- uh huh

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2022 2:34 AM

An you imagine the cigarette smoke, the smell of booze, the strong perfume on those sets? It’s a miracle any of those broads lived past 60! I guess they weren’t dishing out fentanyl laced dolls back then !

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2022 7:58 AM

Joan was a star. Lucille was a television entertainer. There was contempt naturally.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2022 8:32 AM

All of Lucy’s guest stars hated her.

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2022 8:46 AM

[quote] Love posters talking about this like they were there- uh huh

R17 It's Datalounge. Some of these folks were. ;)

by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2022 10:20 AM

They should've arranged a Dynasty-like cage match between Lucy and Joan. Now THAT would get ratings.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2022 11:08 AM

Joan Blondell was in a few Lucy Shows. She almost became a semi-regular. During one taping, before a live audience, Lucille Ball loudly criticized her performance. She was extremely hostile and nasty. Joan Blondell walked out, and never returned.

Interestingly, Bette Davis campaigned for the Vera Charles part in "Mame." Granted, Bea Arthur was cast and rightfully so. Bette Davis would've made mincemeat out of Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2022 11:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!