Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Controversial DL take: Liza was a better performer than her mother

No disrespect to Miss Judy Garland.

Liza was incredible here. One of the greatest live performances of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 11:27 AM

I love Liza, but no.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 3:56 AM

Judy At Carngie Hall Says No.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 4:00 AM

Powerhouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 7:02 AM

Liza NEVER had the voice, the range, the control that her mother did. Never.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 7:14 AM

[quote] No disrespect to Miss Judy Garland.

Careful; you’ll be tossed over the rainbow and never allowed to come back.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 7:35 AM

I agree actually.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 7:44 AM

I never liked Judy, but I'll always love Liza.

But then again, I'm a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 7:45 AM

Judy never performed in a big stadium

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 8:14 AM

This is a pointless debate. At their respective peaks they were both powerhouses.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 8:30 AM

Can't we all just agree....they're both OTT and clichéd to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 8:40 AM

They are both, incredibly, singular talents. As the daughter of Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli, Liza rather amazingly encompasses both of her parents’ defining talents, probably more so in her father’s incredible sense of storytelling and taste, while locating her mother’s emotional intensity not just through song but as an actress that her mother never was. (But she also came of age when the fashion of acting had change and become deeply influenced by the method, whether she studied it or not.) Liza goes toe to toe with DeNiro in New York, New York while through her personal style and playing the character manages to embody both old and new school values of entertainment and, dare I say, art. Liza was, in essence, the vital link between Old Hollywood and New Hollywood, blurring the lines while exploding the traditions in films like Cabaret and New York, New York. One could say she became a less vital and necessary presence in cinema once that bridge was crossed. But unlike so many of the offspring of famous people, Liza managed from the outset to assert her own personality; and while Judy was a proficient performer, her daughter was an actual, trained dancer whom some of show business’ greatest choreographers, including Bob Fosse and Gower Champion, set signature dances on - in still talked about performances in Cabaret, Liza with a Z, Chicago, and perhaps her last greatest routine, Champion’s City Lights from The Act. In City Lights, Liza’s unique qualities are fully present - character, storytelling, style, delivery, song, dance, tradition, modernity and being an absolute star. Anybody else could’ve only hoped to act that routine. Liza embodies it, like no one else could.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 9:01 AM

Fair enough...BUT....I was molested!

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 9:34 AM

Tori the virtuosic musician and Kate the expressionist musical artist and performance artist.

Judy was a masterful singer and Liza was a masterful dancer and expressive performance artist overall.

There's no better and worse when comparing different classes of things. They're different.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 11:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!