Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ellen & Anne: America’s 1st Lesbian Sweethearts

Say what you will about either of them, but they paved the way for LGB people. It wasn’t easy to be publicly out in the 90s, but they did it proudly. RIP Anne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 7:35 AM

They were each at the height of their beauty when they were together. Say what you will, Ellen was very good-looking at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 1:40 AM

They were the original Beyonce and Jay-Z.

Rest in Power.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 1:42 AM

I miss the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 2:05 AM

They did open doors, they did make people relax a bit about the gay, they did a lot to bring it into the mainstream.

Too damn bad the T folks are bound and determined to chip away at what acceptance we have gained. I'm not against trans people but I don't, really don't, truly don't, understand why they are grouped together with us.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 2:05 AM

Ellen looked like a cute British Invasion pop star. Peter Noone.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 2:07 AM

Sorry, Ellen wasn't pretty. And Anne did it for the attention and because she had a screw loose.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 3:00 AM

The 90’s was a good time.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 3:19 AM

Remember when SNL mocked them by using men to portray them? It was a part of their long standing tradition of portraying gay women ( and non white women) as men. It's only recently that they got their reputation for being supposed liberals . And only because they mocked trump.....after they invited him to host. Anyway ellen and Anne did get a lot of hate at the time. The whiny younger generations bitching about how Ellen is a big old meanie can't fathom how much the culture has changed and the genuine guts it took to do what anne and ellen did.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 3:42 AM

[quote] The 90’s was a good time.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 4:03 AM

We're lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 4:13 AM

Not at all a fan of Ellen, and never much of a one of Anne, but the two together really did make a bit of "sparkle" and I do think helped the LGB movement forward. Of course we are forgetting their, what I recall, ugly breakup, but for now, I think that is right.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 4:28 AM

R10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 4:32 AM

Anne broke Ellen's heart. I've always assumed this is the real reason Ellen became evil.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 11:46 AM

Ellen and Anne were Dyke Drama personified.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 11:57 AM

R1 they look anorexic in OP’s pic. You can see their windpipes.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 12:21 PM

Ellen is a real lesbian but Anne just struck me as an opportunist back then, especially when they were on Oprah. She went right back to men after she got her fame/infamy

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 12:38 PM

A couple of snail trailblazers.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 12:40 PM

Me too R16.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 12:41 PM

r15 types obese

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 12:46 PM

This gay couple got a marriage license in 1971!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 12:50 PM

At the time they were big deal, the first mainstream open lesbian couple.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2022 12:56 PM

They were no Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickcok.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2022 2:18 PM

R22 But they've never outed themself unlike Ellen/Anne

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2022 2:27 PM

The only man I’ve ever heard say publicly that he thinks Ellen is good-looking and attractive is comedian David Spade, a friend and colleague of hers from way back.

David even says he had a crush on Ellen during their younger days on the standup circuit. In a way I guess I could see that. But he could also just be making that up for a Bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2022 2:41 PM

R13 maybe that is why Ellen became evil, but Ellen had broken hearts herself before. This was the first time she was left.

I think maybe she looks back on it and thinks she got played and that is also part of it. '

I do think Ellen is very pretty. It helped her get (non stand-up) work. She's not a porcelain doll like Anne and Portia, but she has huge blue eyes, a great smile and had a good body and good skin.

Anne did seem to have an aversion to amicable splits with her public partners. She dragged Steve Martin in her book. She drags Ellen for being possessive. Coley Laffoon was the alpha and omega of perfection until they split and she dragged him on Letterman - she was SO pissed about the child support. James Tupper was 6-7 years of pure soulmate heaven until THEY split and then James Tupper was a liar, a gaslighter and a swindler. Why was she incapable of "We continue to be friends/have respect for each other and will co-parent our son(s)"? She also cried poverty when it came to school fees/division of assets in her split with Tupper, saying he earned more. Then it came out she earned more.

I think she was more obsessed with money than she let on, more obsessed with star fucking than she let on, and extremely histrionic (no duh). Genuine mental issues that screwed it up for her, but despite that I think she was career obsessed. Even though she managed to mess that up.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2022 5:52 PM

Ellen's PR R25 has entered the thread.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 5:48 AM

No one had to out us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 5:55 AM

OP's picture is back when Ellen used to be funny

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 7:28 AM

Poor Ellen must be devastated over the death of her love, My prayer is with her.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 7:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!