Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A 33-year-old who worked at Starbucks for 13 years got fired over a month-old violation

Sam Amato has spent nearly his entire working life at Starbucks.

Over 13 years, he’s served countless customers, learned details of their lives, and even “watched their kids grow up,” the former shift supervisor said. When a wave of labor activity spread through Starbucks locations across the country, he got involved as a lead organizer at the store he typically works at in Amherst, a suburb of Buffalo, New York, which became one of the first in the country to unionize.

On Aug. 5, the 33-year-old had just clocked in for his shift at a different Starbucks in the town of Tonawanda when the store manager pulled Amato outside for a conversation and fired him for a month-old violation connected to closing the store early, a decision that he said left him “blindsighted.”

“I mean, it’s been 13 years. It’s how I get my paycheck. It’s how I get my insurance. It’s how I make a living,” Amato told Fortune. “To have that pulled from under you…it was a devastating moment.”

But when he left the store that day, he didn’t leave alone. All six employees working in the store with him at the time walked out in a show of support. Several Starbucks Workers United union members and staff from other locations in the area joined them in what quickly became a major viral TikTok video with over 21 million views.

The caption on the video reads: “When your entire store walks out after management unjustly fires your co-worker for being a union leader.”

Starbucks denies that was the cause of Amato’s firing and said it enforces standards consistently for all employees. The labor movement’s viral moment

The union drive at Starbucks stores nationwide grew out of a historic vote last December. Workers at a store near Buffalo voted to form the first U.S. union in the chain’s 50-year history. As 186 other locations have also unionized, the coffee giant has faced accusations of retaliating against and intimidating involved employees, which it has denied.

In June, the National Labor Relations Board filed a petition with the U.S. District Court in Buffalo accusing Starbucks of employing what the agency called an “expansive array of illegal tactics.”

Starbucks denied the allegations. “As we have said previously, we believe these claims are false and will be prepared to defend our case,” it told media outlets at the time.

The group walkout in Tonawanda that went viral last week is the most exposure that a union action at Starbucks has received so far, according to Casey Moore, the 25-year-old barista who took the video. Moore works at a different store near Buffalo, and participated in the Tonawanda walkout as an organizer. She also helps run the union’s TikTok account, and shared three videos of the walkout that have together clocked over 30 million views on TikTok.

She posted the most viral one on TikTok while traveling to South Carolina, where another store union effort is underway.

“This one completely blew up,” Moore said. “I put my phone on airplane mode, and then I opened it up, and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh!’”

The barista said she believes Starbucks’ reputation for holding liberal values is why the video caught the public's attention.

“People care because this is a company that says that they're progressive,” Moore said. “They say that they're a progressive company that cares about their workers, and I think people are kind of shocked.” The scene at Starbucks in Tonawanda

Amato and Starbucks Workers United believe he was fired for his union organizing.

He said he was “very active” with labor activity in July, filing an ethics complaint against the manager who later fired him, and helping to lead a one-day strike of his Starbucks store. Amato said he continued his outspokenness in discussing Starbucks’ “inadequate health insurance” in a filmed interview with More Perfect Union, a progressive media outlet, last month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2022 6:29 PM

With the addition of Amato, Starbucks has fired nine union leaders in the Buffalo area so far, and more than 75 pro-union workers in the U.S., according to Starbucks Workers United. The union said it has filed an unfair labor practice charge against the company on Amato’s behalf.

When asked for comment, a spokesperson for Starbucks told Fortune: “We believe these claims are false and will be prepared to defend our case.”

Amato’s termination notice, which he shared with Fortune, states the cause was that he “closed the cafe during regular business hours without informing” the district or store manager. It also notes that Starbucks issued Amato a prior warning in August 2021, though it does not specify what that warning was about. Amato said it was for a “completely unrelated” communications issue.

Starbucks told Fortune that the reason for Amato’s termination is store policy violations, specifically not following closing policies after having received a final written warning.

Amato disputes this, saying he didn’t make the decision to shutter briefly that workday. Another shift supervisor did once the “severely understaffed” team of three baristas got overwhelmed during the busy July 4 weekend, and later told management that he wasn’t responsible. A Starbucks spokesperson said store leadership holds Amato responsible for deciding to close.

Moore told Fortune closing the store has become increasingly common practice, rather than a fireable offense, as staffing shortages abound with the pandemic and ongoing Starbucks unionization drive.

“We have been so incredibly understaffed that we’ve gotten permission from both managers and higher-up executives that say that we have discretion as shift supervisors to close down the lobby if we're not able to run the floor,” she said.

The Starbucks spokesperson said no such exception has been made for partners, the term the company uses for its employees.

“Partners are able to shut down the lobby, but they still need to have it approved by management. A partner cannot close the lobby without prior approval for each instance,” the spokesperson said, referring to what Starbucks calls switching over to only drive-through or mobile orders. “That was not done in this situation. This partner individually decided that the lobby was going to be closed.”

Since he was fired, Amato and other workers have picketed outside the Tonawanda store several times, carrying signs and pasting posters over the doors with the message “Rehire Sam!”

The store closed earlier in the week, CBS reported. A Starbucks spokesperson told Fortune on Thursday that it is now open.

Moore said Amato’s decade-long ties with Starbucks baristas in the area is what’s led workers to continue their strike at the Tonawanda store.

“Sam is essentially an institution here,” she said. “There’s a lot of overlap with people picking up shifts across the district, so everybody pretty much knows Sam if you're a Starbucks worker in the Buffalo area.”

Amato said he hasn’t had much downtime to think about what will be his next job.

“I've been hearing a lot from customers and former partners,” he said. “That's what I’ll really miss—seeing all those people every day.”

“I’m so grateful for the opportunity to have been able to serve them and get to know them. Starbucks can take away my paycheck and my insurance and everything else,” Amato added. “But they can't take away those relationships that I've built.”

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2022 10:16 PM

Britney says union busting is TOXIC!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2022 10:18 PM

"blindsighted"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2022 10:21 PM

My Starbucks boycott continues. That won't cost them much, but I my grocery includes a Starbucks cafe. I would grab a cappuccino to drink while shopping.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2022 10:24 PM

It’s happen at quite a few Starbucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2022 10:30 PM

^happening

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2022 10:30 PM

"blindsighted"

And he mocks the disabled! Cancellation approved!

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2022 10:32 PM

Look, this could be the best thing that ever happened to him. Working at Starbucks shouldn’t be seen as a life career, but as a stepping stone to a better job, same as being a cashier in a grocery store. Working there for 13 years has obviously made him complacent and he needed something to push him into his next job or perhaps career.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2022 10:39 PM

True R8, but he can't use any of those 13 years of experience to get another job, because he was FIRED.

Poor guy can't put that on his resume.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2022 10:41 PM

R9 sure he can that’s ridiculous, nothing excludes you from putting jobs on your resume, there are no resume police.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2022 10:43 PM

He's a cute gay guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2022 10:56 PM

r8/10 seriously missing the point...

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2022 10:58 PM

R12 Not at all, some people need a kick in the pants to get them to move forward with their lives this just might be his.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2022 11:01 PM

It's just chocolate milk + coffee. Make your own and buy a thermos.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2022 11:02 PM

Sam really is a cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2022 11:19 PM

I like where this is going: union assholes out of work and crappy coffee shops closing. Win-win.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2022 11:22 PM

Back in the day a person could work in a shop and support an entire family. That's normal. The new way isn't. Shop workers are a helluva lot more useful than most office jobs.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2022 11:25 PM

Anyone else notice the rainbow in the sky in the background of his picture?

What are the odds, eh?

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2022 11:32 PM

[quote]Working at Starbucks shouldn’t be seen as a life career, but as a stepping stone to a better job, same as being a cashier in a grocery store.

Says who? Clearly he liked his job, presumably it met his needs. Not everyone needs a career for fulfillment.

Not to mention businesses are whining nonstop now because they can't keep lower-wage workers, and here's one who WANTS to be there and they get rid of him for bullshit reasons.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2022 11:43 PM

There's a ribbon in the sky for our love

Ribbon in the sky

for our love

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote] “People care because this is a company that says that they're progressive,”

“Progressive”is a weasel word that idiots use to mean just anything they want.

If you ask them for their definition of it they refuse to answer.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2022 11:48 PM

He should have known leading a union movement would put him in the crosshairs of the company. He should have looked ahead before he put himself in this position.

So many people of his generation do not foresee the consequences of anything they choose to do.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2022 12:19 AM

This Starbucks is the place where they refuse to let me evacuate my bowels over their furniture. They deserve to be shut down!

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2022 12:24 AM

Must have been a pretty good gig if the gave him insurance benefits.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2022 12:33 AM

Dataloungers are such shameless bootlickers.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2022 12:35 AM

[quote]Over 13 years, he’s served countless customers, learned details of their lives, and even “watched their kids grow up,” the former shift supervisor said...

Wait!?!? He worked there 13 years and only made his way up to.... SHIFT SUPERVISOR? 13 years?

I know there's plenty of people who don't want their job to be too far up the ladder. Ya know, work/life balance and all.... but still. Also, fuck these corporations and their union-busting bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2022 12:41 AM

All of you anti-union posters are complete ASSHOLES.

Unions are the only thing that's stopping corporations from turning their workers into SLAVES.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2022 8:09 AM

I had a complacent job that I was fired from in my 20’s, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. While I agree it isn’t much of a career job, people do lean into and expect full benefits from menial jobs a bit too much. Starbucks would’ve paid to further his education, just sayin’.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2022 8:28 AM

[quote] Unions are the only thing ...

Unions are ok for employees with no negotiation skills.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2022 11:57 AM

Agree r25, good lord who are you people? God forbid we should go back to the days when workers could rely on unions. r28 Americans as whole have a warped relationship with job benefits because our healthcare system is so fucked up. We shouldn't have to rely on our jobs to provide us access to healthcare.

And most service workers who continue for this long with one company usually use it to supplement their income working nights and weekends.

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2022 1:06 PM

The union ball-lickers need to get lives.

“You’re our boy! Tony Pro! We’re all yourrrrs *sob*”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2022 1:12 PM

Starbucks consumers are major idiots. You waste so much money for a fucking cup of coffee. Buy a pound of it and some milk and make it yourself at home. And yes, Karen, you can even buy the flavored syrups and canned whipped cream in your local supermarket if you like that shit.

by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2022 1:21 PM

There's a certain group of nasty trolls on here who post right-wing crap all the time, but claim to be lefties, yet we never see them on threads like these.

I hate union busting of all kinds. Fuck Starbucks and fuck anyone defending them for firing people who are just asking for decent wages and benefits.

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2022 1:31 PM

[Quote] He should have known leading a union movement would put him in the crosshairs of the company. He should have looked ahead before he put himself in this position.

Of course he knew. Yet, blaming him for being fired on a trump-up charge is idiotic

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2022 1:32 PM

He likely worked there for many years because it gave him the freedom to pursue his passions, whatever that may be.

Just because he didn’t followed your idea of a stable, progressive career doesn’t make him worthy of firing

by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2022 1:33 PM

Of course he was fired for being a union leader. Pathetic that Starbucks is pretending it’s something else.

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2022 1:35 PM

The unionization trend feels like one of the few positive things going on in the US at the moment - I hope it continues!

by Anonymousreply 37August 13, 2022 1:37 PM

Sam works at "my" Starbucks. He is sweet and kind and always remembers the customers names. Always a smile! Once when the line was long he gave complimentary cake pops to everyone who had to wait. Also he is as cute as a BUTTON. This is really sad. They fired a few others here in Buffalo for bullshit reasons too. Sam's store has been on strike now for a while. I LOVE SAM!

by Anonymousreply 38August 13, 2022 2:19 PM

R38, is Sam cut or uncut? Top or Bottom?

by Anonymousreply 39August 13, 2022 2:38 PM

Plutocrats gonna plutocrat. Bring back the unions (or the guillotines).

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2022 2:41 PM

WhileI would NEVER objectify "my Sam" I am guessing a cut bottom. Not that I ever think that way though. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2022 2:44 PM

People shitting on those working the floor at Starbucks are the reason why nobody is in hospitality anymore.

Sure, it's not a great job but it doesn't just have to be a stepping stone to a "real job". Somebody has to do it and pretending it's not a "real job" is how employees like this guy get exploited.

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2022 3:01 PM

I don't know why people are shitting on Sam for being a steady worker.

To me, that's an admirable quality.

If it pays well, then why not stick with it?

He's earning a regular income.

It pays the bills.

Sam seems to enjoy what he does, and as mentioned above, he likes his customers.

This is a very rare thing nowdays. People quit jobs at the drop of a hat, and it's hard to find good workers.

Sam is a good worker.

All he's asking for is fair treatment for employees.

And he deserves it, for doing a good job and being a good worker.

So naturally, right-wing Datalounge trolls are shitting all over him for that.

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2022 4:16 PM

I'm a fan.

How can I support his cause?

by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2022 8:35 PM

R44 there is a GoFundMe and it has almost reached its goal.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 1:13 AM

That's awesome to hear, R45.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 7:55 AM

I've learned the hard way to never show any loyalty to any company.

Their aims are simply to exploit their employees as much as possible and to squeeze as much as they can put of out.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 8:08 AM

what can I say? the once poster child for progressive, forward thinking and socially responsible companies Starbucks suddenly revealed its true self - a captlist 🐷 It only took one labor union and a few weeks to undo 30 years of good "reputation".

Who's next? Apple, but they already have enough controversies and their cult fans/slaves probably don't give a shit how evil the company is, as long as Apple keeps releasing new iPhones and charge them a thousand dollars, all forgiven! 🤮

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2022 9:09 AM

Blind-sided not blind-sighted

Why are young people so poorly read? READ, CHILDREN. Reading professionally edited books and papers will teach you these idioms.

People can get fired for far less than what got him fired. SNS

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2022 9:23 AM

What did he get fired for? Or rather what is the reason they used to fire him?

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2022 9:58 AM

^ closed the store early, no details, probably put all chairs on the table 5 mins before the closing time, I have seen some doing that before the official 11pm closing time

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2022 10:31 AM

R44, maybe someone here from the Buffalo area knows someone managing a bar or something like that who's looking for someone with job experience and joy in what it takes to do that kind of job. I guess getting Sam a new job where he can keep on doing what he loves to do would be the best support after all.

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2022 10:32 AM

R50:

[quote] Amato’s termination notice, which he shared with Fortune, states the cause was that he “closed the cafe during regular business hours without informing” the district or store manager. It also notes that Starbucks issued Amato a prior warning in August 2021, though it does not specify what that warning was about. Amato said it was for a “completely unrelated” communications issue.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2022 10:34 AM

[quote] ^ closed the store early, no details, probably put all chairs on the table 5 mins before the closing time, I have seen some doing that before the official 11pm closing time

That is so fucked up.

Hollywood Royalty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2022 10:41 AM

Seemingly contradictory thoughts:

1) Service workers need to be unionized and make a decent living. Society can't function without them and they are demanding jobs. Just like manufacturing work once was.

2) It sucks that Starbucks goes after its union organizing employees especially after the employees have been successful.

3) It's brave when service workers push for unions - they are trying to change corporate structures and that is not easy nor without risks.

4) On the other hand, in life you have to choose your battles. A single man, attractive, no children, has some options but they run out as time marches on. This guy probably needs a better job and plan to make it through the Dillinger Capitalism culture of the USA, intact. Nobody but nobody seems to be able to crack the Capitalist bullshit of USA - much too expensive higher education and much too expensive healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2022 10:56 AM

Getting a coffee at Starbucks just takes too long. Most of the workers are very slow and if there’s more than 5 people in the line it isn’t worth the wait. Most of the stores are dirty on top of that (city locations anyway).

by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2022 10:58 AM

"Seemingly" contradictory, indeed, R55. The way you "crack" the country's exploitative economy is by starting to organizing, like this guy was doing.

by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2022 11:01 AM

[quote] Getting a coffee at Starbucks just takes too long. Most of the workers are very slow and if there’s more than 5 people in the line it isn’t worth the wait. Most of the stores are dirty on top of that (city locations anyway).

And most of them get your drink wrong.

So you've waited for about 20 minutes for your drink, you've paid between $6-$10 for it, and then they get it wrong on top of everything else.

That's why I stopped going to Starbucks.

I can fucking make it better myself, for cheaper and with less hassle.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2022 11:03 AM

*starting to organize* not "organizing"

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2022 11:03 AM

I said it was contradictory, Dora Dumbfuck. He was doing the RIGHT thing, on principle, but might be doing the wrong thing for himself to have a great future.

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2022 11:03 AM

This guy gave Starbucks the best years of his life.

He started when he was only 20 years old, and worked there for 13 years.

He deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2022 11:04 AM

Filthy, nasty places are Starbucks.

Have never understood the appeal; SB coffee is over roasted foul dreck. Service is quite hit or miss, and seating is often crowded with the great unwashed masses, home office warriors, various cliques of elderly/teenagers/college students, etc... who see the place as their own personal space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2022 11:11 AM

@r55, "This guy probably needs a better job and plan to make it through the Dillinger Capitalism culture of the USA"

Or, with his organizational abilities, people skills and promotional savvy he could, I don't know, work for the union 🤔

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2022 11:43 AM

13 years in a frontline position at Starbucks is real longevity. They likely only want short term workers in their branches to avoid all the benefits that come with people making a career there.

I’ve not been to one in several years. I usually only want a coffee drink like Americano, espresso or filtered and have to wait forever behind people order blended dessert drinks with eight special variables or grilled sandwiches and panini that always seem to cause everything to come to a screeching halt. Hate the ambiance with people with their laptops spread out everywhere or having to listen to someone doing a cringeworthy random interview. I also blame them for the rise of the pumpkin spice, the epitome of all things basic. They’ve peaked.

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2022 12:01 PM

He’s our generation’s Norma Rae. We like him. We really like him.

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2022 12:10 PM

"...but he can't use any of those 13 years of experience to get another job, because he was FIRED. Poor guy can't put that on his resume."

What are you on about? This is not 1960, 1980' or even 1990. Being terminated from a position is no longer a huge impediment to finding another. Indeed with today's current labor market employers are welcoming with open arm all sorts they never would before; this includes those with criminal records and all.

Yeah, maybe if HR is run by some ancient incel from another era, and or same is in charge making hiring decisions someone discharged for any reason might be turned down. But most of today's younger persons in charge (especially if they are woke) have different ideas.

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2022 1:26 PM

I think that the problem is that so many people have to rely on what were traditionally low paying temporary jobs taken while finishing school or studying towards something more rewarding. The world has changed and many people have to rely on these jobs even if they have advanced education and skills in other areas. I'm not sure that the Starbucks and Walmarts of the world will ever just let unionization happen without a fight. I know people who worked at such jobs and were good at it, had loyal customers but the management just wanted new blood every few years and didn't want the staff to get too comfy. The possibility of advancement in the company was limited and at a certain time they hoped that you would have left on your own and if you didn't they would find a reason to let you go.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2022 1:31 PM

I agree with you 100%, R64.

Clearly, this guy doesn't fit the Starbucks business model.

Oh, and Americans love Starfucks because Americans are sheep with very basic taste.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote] He should have known leading a union movement would put him in the crosshairs of the company. He should have looked ahead before he put himself in this position. So many people of his generation do not foresee the consequences of anything they choose to do.

What? There's the NLRA, National Labor Relations Act of 1935 "making clear that it is the policy of the United States to encourage collective bargaining by protecting workers’ full freedom of association."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote] Working at Starbucks shouldn’t be seen as a life career, but as a stepping stone to a better job, same as being a cashier in a grocery store.

Why shouldn't he continue to work at Starbucks as long as he wants? Some of the cashiers where I grew up were unionized. I grew up paying for stuff with the same cashier.

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2022 6:10 PM

I live in Canada, but don't you need to have just cause to fire someone? Or give them a warning and then if they continue breaching policies after being warned, then they can be fired?

Anyway, hope he gets something nice out of this (although I side-eye his pushing the narrative that Marsha started Stonewall myth).

by Anonymousreply 71August 14, 2022 6:16 PM

He could of (if he wanted to) have used Starbucks college tuition program. I think it is great for a company to provide the opportunity for employees to get a college degree! It's one of the best benefits that Starbucks provides.

by Anonymousreply 72August 14, 2022 6:21 PM

When I worked at Starbucks in the early 2000s when I was in college, they kept a tip jar on the front counter specifically so that they could pay their workers less than minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 73August 14, 2022 7:29 PM

Several weeks ago it was that "douche bro" in NYC who was fired on demand from woke mob who didn't like things he said, that resulted in a nice GFM windfall.

Now this former SB employee is cashing in...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2022 6:28 AM

OTOH strike fund isn't doing that well.

Serves Starbucks right, and shows once again no good deed goes unpunished. Their entire business model was built upon "woke" before there was even a name for the thing, now it's coming back to bite them in the behind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2022 6:31 AM

If these Starbucks employees don’t like that there’s not a union there all they need to do is quit and go somewhere else that has union jobs. It is that simple. Trying to change the ways of a multi national billion dollar company from the assistant barista position at your coffee chain store is ridiculous. Go back to school and get an MBA and a law degree and use those to effect change.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2022 6:44 AM

R76 WTF lol.

No, they need to be the plaintiffs represented by the fancy law degree. Of course US states would have to write some good employment legislation first (acknowledging situations in which an employer can be compelled to .recognise a union, for a start).

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2022 6:53 AM

R76

For about a decade or so now egged on by socialist, progressive, and liberal democrats in government and elsewhere there has been a push to turn retail/service/low wage jobs into something they aren't.

First salvo over bow was increasing minimum wage in many local areas like NY to about $15/hr.

Then came mandatory PTO (again also NY), and host of other benefits largely not found in service/retail and other low wage sort of jobs.

In short idea has been to make those who for whatever reasons in these low wage and skills jobs have everything others have.

That someone is >25 or whatever and best they can do is a job at McDonald's, Chipotle, and yes even Starbucks seems to be neither here nor there.

Most of us have done our time in retail or service jobs, even if only as a teenager or while in college. But we've moved on, which is how things should be.

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2022 6:55 AM

The world according to R78.

Citing the rules of the way things "should be" for all other people in the world.

Because all of our circumstances are exactly the same. Right?

Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2022 7:15 AM

Getting fired is a good thing for him. He has been working too long for a job at Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 80August 15, 2022 7:20 AM

Looks like all the right-wing trolls have returned from the weekend

"If these Starbucks employees don’t like that there’s not a union there all they need to do is quit and go somewhere else"

Or they could stay and fight against obscene corporate profits and get a piece of the pie themselves

Did you trolls run out of Trump threads to terrorize?

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2022 7:23 AM

Don't kid yourself, R81.

There are many entitled, elitist, and classist gay men amongst us.

They're absolutely disgusting, and most likely right-wing Republicans as well.

Aaron Schock, Lindsey Graham, Peter Thiel, etc.

Just the fucking worst of the worst of humanity. If you can even call them that.

And they couldn't give a flying fuck if people like the guy in this story, are being treated badly.

They only care about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2022 7:30 AM

Yelp reviews of that Starbucks on Astor Place R62 overall are very unkind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2022 1:26 PM

R74 he is in no way cashing in. He didn't set up the fundraiser, a friend did. Sam is the sweetest guy and has a history of peaceful protest for what he sees as unjust. It makes sense that he would also protest in his own workplace. Here in Buffalo, many stores will close the lobby and just keep the drive through open when they are short staffed. Sam is not the only supervisor to do this. My location (not Sam's) has been shuttered at 3pm some days with a handwritten sign on the door. No one was fired. This is most certainly retaliation. And for R76 saying "go get an MBA" are you fucking kidding? Jesus H CHRIST!

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2022 1:31 PM

I would love to know the age and occupation of everyone blaming this kid for trying to unionize. Approximate date of you last job interview would also be relevant. DL is almost entirely out of touch Boomers who haven't had to look for work since the Carter administration, but the ones on this thread are extreme even for here.

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2022 2:13 PM

Kid? He's full grown man R85

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote] If these Starbucks employees don’t like that there’s not a union there all they need to do is quit and go somewhere else that has union jobs. It is that simple. Trying to change the ways of a multi national billion dollar company from the assistant barista position at your coffee chain store is ridiculous.

It's called the right to organize. Where do you think these "somewhere else" places that already have unions came from? They were once non-union and some employees got together and did the work to make it a union-employed place.

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote]Anyone else notice the rainbow in the sky in the background of his picture?

Not that we needed the hint.

by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2022 9:53 PM

It's time for him to move along anyway. No one should work at Starbucks for 13 years. That's silly.

by Anonymousreply 89August 15, 2022 10:51 PM

Datalounge is a Republican forum now. Desiring harm on trans people, whining about diversity in entertainment, yelling against debt relief, blaming victims of homophobic hate for their experiences -- there's nothing too right-wing for Datalounge to defend.

by Anonymousreply 90August 15, 2022 11:00 PM

[quote]Datalounge is a Republican forum now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 15, 2022 11:16 PM

R90 is sadly true. The hatred for poor and working class people here is depressing as hell.

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2022 12:59 AM

[quote]Starbucks shouldn’t be seen as a life career, but as a stepping stone to a better job, same as being a cashier in a grocery store.

You are a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2022 1:09 AM

As if selling seriously crappy coffee wasn't enough reason to not patronize Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2022 1:13 AM

So, as a manager that runs a salon for a corporation, many of the requests from employees become unreasonable after a certain degree. “Four wall profit” means that after rent, payroll, inventory, overhead, etc. are paid out, there still needs to be profit at the end of the equation. My company pulled all its shops out of New England market awhile ago because they could not pay $15 an hour to a hairdresser to do a $19 haircut. There were limitations that cannot be broached repeatedly without consequences- shutting down over 250 stores because they were unprofitable or even though wildly successful for a short time, that the business model didn’t work towards the greater goal of sustainability. Many union based supermarkets in New England dried up as well because the margins are too thin.

There are weeks that my company only sees a few hundred dollars in profitability at my location, and a handful of weeks in the year they come up short. Corporations like Starbucks also make money from other ways, like selling coffee in supermarkets, from partners of insurance and retirement they market to their thousands of employees, and local and federal tax breaks. At the end of the day, each shop must be profitable or you risk killing the golden goose, shuttering the location and laying off the staff. Even with a prudent approach business model is still precarious because a flash in the pan new chain might open right next door and take half their business. Many have tried.

There’s no “blue sky” when talking about meeting payroll.

by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2022 9:58 AM

Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people’s money

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2022 10:20 AM

Britain was a broke country when Thatcher left power or, rather, was forced to leave it.

by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2022 12:20 PM

Britain is a broke country when BoJo leaves power or, rather, is forced to leave it.

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2022 12:30 PM

Guarantee that guys job is a lot harder than my job in the cube farm. Somehow we want to have coffee stops on each corner but don’t want the employees to think it’s a “real” job. Come the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2022 12:49 PM

R95, aren't you embarrassed that your company is so poorly run that you can't pay your employees a decent wage? What you're describing is wage theft. ZERO sympathy for you and "your company."

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2022 1:25 PM

It sucks he got the can for being a union organizer, but NY is an employed at will state. I can’t believe after 13 years with them he had no clue how corporate and bottom line driven Starbucks truly is. Their whole progressive/woke brand is just window dressing.

I remember at my first corporate job out of college, my then manager told me “if you don’t write it down, it never happened”. There needed to be something in writing, to support the claim that shift supervisors were able to close early, in contradiction to the written policy.

There’s no loyalty in corporate America. The closest you get is having a “rabbi” a few rungs up the ladder watching out for you. But rest assured, if it comes to it, they’ll save their ass over yours without a moment’s hesitation.

To pivot to pure gay bitchery, checking his IG, he seems like one of those tiresome gays that only has a gaggle of f@g h@gs.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2022 2:24 PM

R100, my company went bankrupt. The new firm focuses on the bottom line but most of the staff make double or triple minimum wage because they’re paid commission. There are people that don’t make as much but new talent really isn’t because retention is an important factor. There’s a balance and I’m paid well in benefits and bonuses to keep the place profitable.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2022 2:43 PM

At least in NYC area yearly compensation for SB store managers is rather generous, nearly $85k plus.

That is more than many other sort of "professional" or "skilled" employees earn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 21, 2022 10:25 AM

May every Starbucks unionize. Horrible company, burnt coffee.

by Anonymousreply 104August 21, 2022 10:40 AM

[quote]Sam works at "my" Starbucks. He is sweet and kind and always remembers the customers names. Always a smile! Once when the line was long he gave complimentary cake pops to everyone who had to wait.

Maybe that was why he was fired.

by Anonymousreply 105August 21, 2022 11:30 AM

Time to sue and settle.

by Anonymousreply 106August 21, 2022 11:33 AM

Sam's store is STILL striking until he's reinstated! They just remodeled the store and ain't nobody working in it. They are all outside in the rain PICKETING!

by Anonymousreply 107August 22, 2022 6:11 PM

People who need their daily Starbucks have already found a store in a different location to go to. The baristas are going to picket for as long as they will, until they realize their efforts are being ignored by their "loyal" customers.

The store I went to before Covid was bustling all day long, sometimes you couldn't find a table to sit at. Now that store is a desert; rarely do you see anyone sitting inside. The baristas brag about how much money the store is making; they don't know the store was taking in quadruple that amount before Covid.

by Anonymousreply 108August 23, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote] People who need their daily Starbucks have already found a store in a different location to go to. The baristas are going to picket for as long as they will, until they realize their efforts are being ignored by their "loyal" customers.

So true.

Gone are the days of a "Billy Elliott" type of strike, where the whole town stood behind the workers.

Nowdays, people are too selfish and think only of themselves.

They'll support you to your face, but they'll go behind your back and still get their Whorebucks.

by Anonymousreply 109August 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Just an update. After a summer long remodel, Sam's store never opened on opening day because all of the staff went on STRIKE! They are still on strike and this has shut down the store indefinitely. Staff who didn't want to strike have been relocated to other stores. THE DRAMA!

by Anonymousreply 110September 1, 2022 8:36 PM

Go Sam!

Go Unions!

FUCK STARBUCKS!!!

by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2022 1:09 AM

Sam's store is now open-drive through only. One in the city of Buffalo is currently on strike now and the one that I go to, also in the city is often closed due to employee strike. I don't think Sam has his job back.

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2022 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!