Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How a Fake Dead Girlfriend Ruined Football Star Manti Te’o’s Life

Many people enjoyed a good laugh in early 2013 at the expense of Manti Te’o, the superstar Notre Dame linebacker whose private life became all too public when it turned out that his sad story—namely, that his grandmother and girlfriend had passed away on the same day—was a lie, since his supposed paramour wasn’t real. Yet in truth, Te’o’s saga remains a nightmare of unwarranted humiliation and lasting, career-derailing damage, with Te’o’s psychological well-being and NFL prospects both rocked by the revelation that he had been the victim of a catfishing ruse. Te’o was transformed from a hero into a figure of ridicule even though, as The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist contends, he’s actually someone who deserves our pity and compassion.

The premiere installment of Season 2 of Netflix’s non-fiction series Untold, The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist (Aug. 16) is a two-hour examination of a tawdry ordeal that doubles as an act of confession, air-clearing, and healing for its two subjects. Te’o sits down for an extensive interview with directors Ryan Duffy and Tony Vainuku, detailing his stratospheric highs and dismal lows and, in doing so, answering many of the questions that dominated TV and talk radio in the wake of his national embarrassment. Te’o is simultaneously enthusiastic, earnest and grief-stricken while recounting his experiences, his excitement when discussing his glory years with the Fighting Irish offset by the haunted and teary-eyed look that seizes his face upon remembering the emotional violation he suffered, and the tabloid-ready catastrophe that ensued.

One Teenager’s Disturbing Reason for Killing His Own Dad

Te’o, however, is only one side of this coin, and The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist benefits from the additional participation of Naya Tuiasosopo, the individual who struck up an online and phone/text romance with Te’o by posing as Lennay Kekua, a fictitious female. In the years since their relationship became fodder for CNN, ESPN and Saturday Night Live, Tuiasosopo has come out as a transgender woman, and though Duffy and Vainuku’s two-part episode notes that no one interviewed for this documentary was aware of her transition at the time of filming, it’s nonetheless central to the proceedings. Candid and apologetic—albeit to a degree that likely won’t satisfy every viewer—Tuiasosopo fills in the gaps regarding how this all came to be. In the process, she paints this ruse-gone-awry as a result of her identity-related challenges, which may not be much of an excuse for the monumental and enduring harm she caused but at least explains the underpinnings of this mess.

As she elucidates in The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist, Naya was never comfortable in her own skin, and ultimately responded by creating a fake online persona, Lennay, who more accurately expressed how she truly felt. To bolster this guise, she used photos of a high school friend named Diane O’Meara before messaging various men. Having grown up in a Polynesian clan that prioritized faith, family and football, Naya had an immediate bond with Te’o, whose cousin verified Lennay as legitimate (given that they had previously chatted online), and who believed Naya to be a kindred spirit who could relate to every aspect of his life. Before long, they were virtually dating. Te’o’s best friend and teammate Robby Toma admits that all of this was a tad strange, but he also concedes that long-distance romances weren’t uncommon (he himself was in one). Moreover, because it made Te’o happy—and helped him cope with the strangeness of relocating from his tropical Mormon Hawaiian community to the midwestern Catholic cold of Notre Dame—it largely seemed like a net positive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2022 1:32 AM

As the two grew closer, Te’o’s athletic fortunes rose, with the linebacker becoming a vital defensive leader and, just as importantly, a beloved paragon of Notre Dame’s religious and service-minded values. Things began to fall apart, however, on Sept. 12, 2012, when Te’o’s grandmother passed away and, hours later, Naya—fearful of how far things had gone—called Te’o and, posing as Lennay’s brother, told him that Lennay had fatally succumbed to leukemia. This one-two punch turned Te’o’s subsequent success on the field into a feel-good narrative that gripped the country, peaking with him being nominated as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy and Notre Dame appearing in the National Championship game against Alabama. The problem was, Naya refused to keep Lennay dead, and when Deadspin received an anonymous tip about this vast lie, it was only a matter of time before Naya’s charade was exposed.

Arguably the most fascinating aspect of The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist is Deadspin reporters Tim Burke and Jack Dickey’s admission that their motivation for chasing this story was to shame the national media for not doing its basic fact-checking job regarding Te’o and his trauma. Nonetheless, the water-cooler focus quickly shifted to other matters: How could Te’o have been so gullible? Had he been complicit in this scheme? Did he invent this fake girlfriend to hide his homosexuality? Taking viewers step by step through their concurrent, if respective, journeys, Te’o and Naya make clear that the entire operation was concocted by Naya (and Naya alone), and that Te’o only deceived the media—during the few days around the Heisman ceremony, when he first learned that Lennay might be alive—out of fear and confusion. The portrait that emerges is one of a young man who was excessively trusting and caught up in his own righteous-savior image, and who paid a terrible price for his naivety, which was so extreme that he didn’t even know what “catfishing” was at the time.

Unguarded and forthcoming in his extended on-camera conversation, Te’o engenders empathy for his undeserved plight. The same can’t be said for Naya, whose gender dysphoria was clearly the impetus for her subterfuge but hardly exonerates her for perpetrating it, especially considering that the contrition she exhibits here feels less than wholehearted. The fact that Te’o’s NFL dreams were forever compromised by this scam makes The Girlfriend Who Didn’t Exist a sad commentary on the unreliability of people, the internet, and media adulation—as well as a tragedy about an upright man, and a promising future, shattered for no justifiable reason.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2022 10:45 PM

Gurllll.... I know exactly how you feel.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2022 10:46 PM

He's GAY.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2022 11:05 PM

You wouldn't know my girlfriend. She lives in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2022 11:07 PM

I have texted him from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2022 11:08 PM

Wait, is Te’o STILL not out?

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2022 11:18 PM

Just checked and:

"In February 2020, Te’o became engaged to his girlfriend, personal trainer and beauty consultant Jovi Nicole Engbino. The couple married in La Jolla, California on August 29, 2020."

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2022 11:21 PM

[quote] Wait, is Te’o STILL not out?

He doubled down and got married to a hooker

Like a good Mormon.

Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2022 11:22 PM

She would be perfect, if she had a COCK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2022 11:23 PM

ZOMG!! Aaron Rodgers is in the thread at r1, you guys!!!

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2022 11:31 PM

Oops, correction: ZOMG!! Aaron Rodgers is in the thread at [R4], you guys!!!

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2022 11:32 PM

She's a personal trainer R9. Are we sure cock is not attached?

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2022 11:34 PM

So he's not gay, just stupid? That's too bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 11:38 PM

[QUOTE] She's a personal trainer. Are we sure cock is not attached?

It’s attached to her harness when Manti has been a good boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2022 11:41 PM

Is he still in touch with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo?

Oh, sorry. Her name is NAYA now.

Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2022 12:20 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2022 12:23 AM

Naya was "in love" with Manti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2022 12:24 AM

It’s funny that I was glued to this story at the time and now I can’t remember anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2022 12:43 AM

Raymond Burr pulled that fake cover story for decades without getting caught.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2022 12:50 AM

Manty will forever be a laughingstock.

He has zero credibility.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2022 12:52 AM

I actually feel bad for him. But I'm getting sick of these hours long documentaries about subjects that are way less interesting than the filmmakers try to make out. Like that snooze fest about the sociopath vegan restaurant lady or anna Sorkin. These people are worthy of a brief fluff article in people, not a mini film.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2022 1:11 AM

Prayer session this Wednesday night, Manti. Call me.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2022 1:27 AM

Hey! If you wanted a Mormon, I was available!

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2022 1:43 AM

[quote] Prayer session this Wednesday night, Manti. Call me.

[quote] —T. Tebow

I'm there!

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2022 1:48 AM

[quote] Prayer session this Wednesday night, Manti. Call me.

[quote] —T. Tebow

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2022 1:52 AM

The Catfish is still not taking responsibility, it was “part of their journey”

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 8:20 AM

The love of his life yet he never met her in person is very suspicious

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 8:22 AM

R27 What are you implying?

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 9:34 AM

Sadly, I vict to evote Dina from this thread.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 10:12 AM

R21 Shitflix is really hard up for decent content.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 10:14 AM

Another gay mormon marrying a woman.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 10:22 AM

His wife was arrested several times for drugs and theft?

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 10:55 AM

Chrissy Teigen is Executive Producer

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 10:57 AM

I'd love to get into Manti's panties.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 11:46 AM

Manti is so fucking hot but also pathetic. It’s a dick wilter.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 2:44 PM

Something just doesn’t smell fishy 🐠 about this hole thing

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 2:57 PM

furiously taking notes 📝

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 3:03 PM

Manti looks even better now but his personality sucks

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 11:10 PM

Yes I know this not PC but his accent and manner of speaking would get on my last nerve

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 11:20 PM

The catfish has found a new and improved grift. Figures.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 11:21 PM

R40 is probably a Trump-voting grifter

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2022 11:26 PM

The "bro"-y style and content of what he was saying was definitely irritating but he's much hotter now than he was at the time of the story.

I don't get the impression that he's gay and I believe that Ronaiah was more than capable of doing this alone.

Speaking of whom, I was SHOCKED to see that this beautiful trans gowrl wasn't taking responsibility for perpetrating this hoax!

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2022 11:30 PM

R15 “Naya” has the Brooklyn Seacow look.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 1:17 AM

[quote] “Naya” has the Brooklyn Seacow look.

I believe it's called the "Samoan Seacow" look.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 3:07 AM

the Catfish used to be small

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 3:16 AM

The Catfish meets the press

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 4:22 AM

Just watched this.. Poor Manti. When you're young and naive it's easy to fall in love. It wasn't his fault. They had stuff in common and he was busy. He's so handsome and sweet. He deserves a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2022 5:41 AM

Fag!

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2022 10:16 AM

Did Naya have her cousin do Lennay's voice?

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2022 3:41 PM

Poor Manti, he was such a young lunkhead.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2022 2:28 AM

r49, supposedly not...don't ask me how that worked.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2022 2:29 AM

R47 Oh please Manti the Pantie is a self loathing mormon loser.

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2022 2:58 AM

[quote] Did Naya have her cousin do Lennay's voice?

I think that tranny troll Naya did "the voice" on Dr. Phil's show.

What a fucking creep.

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2022 3:15 AM

I feel so bad for Manti, what a shit thing to happen.

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote] Did he invent this fake girlfriend to hide his homosexuality?

Apparently not, per the documentary. So it's just a catfish story, why do we care about this?

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2022 3:35 AM

I’d eat his Moroni loving ass.

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2022 3:42 AM

I guarantee that Manti would drop her panties for you, R56.

She has major BOTTOM face.

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2022 5:36 AM

Why doesn't Ronaiah do the Lennay voice now that he's pretending to be a woman full-time?

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2022 9:21 AM

R58 Because “she“ sounds like a fat Samoan man and always did. Manti the Panty knew.

by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2022 9:28 AM

My god, I don't much about him, but he's a doppelgänger for Richie Mounga (All Black rugby player).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2022 9:55 AM

And we should feel sorry for this retard because…?

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2022 10:13 AM

The Naya catfish was deeply troubling in the way she rationalized the scheme. She mentioned having done it to many others with the strategy of unfriending and blocking them when it got to the point of no return. Poor Manti was naïve growing up in a literally insular place with looming parents, extended family, community, religion, etc. So much baggage. He never got to be himself. His best friend they kept interviewing was sort of cute, but I agree with R21 that the characters were rather dull, and the premise has been done before. Anyone falling for an online catfish or imposter now has no excuses with many series and documentaries. There will always con artists and liars out there.

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2022 10:20 AM

Naya seemed only perfunctorily sorry, more into doing slo-mo dances in Samoan garb.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2022 1:35 AM

What did “Naya” do with the Manti dick and hole pics?

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2022 1:40 AM

[quote] What did “Naya” do with the Manti dick and hole pics?

From the looks of her, she probably ate them.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2022 1:42 AM

People who are catfished are usually really dumb. The show catfish has been on for 10 years now and every one of the people that have been catfished seems really stupid. They text someone for a few years and never have a live conversation with them. the catfish always lie about why they can't talk face to face with the idiot being catfished. It is appalling how stupid some people are. Personally, I don't understand how you can fall in love with someone you have never seen.

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2022 1:53 AM

It's about stupid but it's also people project a fantasy. Naya was playing a character called everything he needed and wanted out of a girlfriend. Agree it seems ridiculous but some people have fantasy lives as an escape.

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2022 4:17 AM

Naya worked overtime to confuse him. But things like Facetime never working should have seemed sus.

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2022 4:24 AM

You would think family or friends would try to tell him that his romance wasn't real. The thing that blows my mind is after all the talk of catfishing and the catfish show itself would discourage people from falling for this scam. It's not like it is not a well-known practice. When Manti Te'o had it happen it wasn't as well known that people were pulling this scam.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2022 4:59 AM

Why’s he snitchin on himself again?

by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2022 5:06 AM

Manti says on the documentary that when his father asked if he had met "her" that he lied and said yes. So I still am suspicious that Manti knew something was up but it was easier to pretend. Then he marries a woman with a record that looks like a hooker tranny. It all points to GAY GAY GAY!

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2022 6:26 AM

I agree that his wife is extremely off-putting. Would a gay man marry a woman that brassy? I guess a very sheltered one who thinks that tits = sexy and straight men marry sexy women?

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2022 6:43 AM

R72 Madison Cawthorn married that crossfit wife

by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2022 6:45 AM

I've only seen the first episode so I don't know if this was mentioned in the second but Lennay also talked on the phone several times with Manti's Indiana bishop. He wasn't even active (i.e., tithing, and showing up each and every Sunday) at Notre Dame.

It wasn't until Lennay's car accident that Manti started attending again but the bishop had been talking to him all along, trying to pull him back in. Those conversations absolutely would have been relayed to his parents' bishop, and later, the conversations with Lennay. They live for that shit.

His going inactive as soon as he got away from home would have been a nightmare for the parents, and I'm sure the last thing they wanted was to push him into the arms of this non-Mormon fundie who would probably lure him over to her own cult.

I can totally see the parents waiting it out quietly while they prayed for a break-up, or until the bishop did his thing and lured Manti back in and converted Lennay, at which point they would all start pushing immediate marriage.

It's hard to convey what a mindfuck growing up LDS can be, so I'm not really surprised by any of these people. To give you an example of how a lot of "normal" relationships go: two or three group dates in high school; boy goes on mission; girl starts BYU; he returns two years later; they're married a couple of days after his plane lands and sealed ASAP; baby #1 arrives within a year; now both are BYU students living in on-campus housing for married students with children, and she's pregnant with #2. And all of this happens before they turn twenty-two.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2022 8:17 AM

This would have been interesting if their was murder involved.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2022 9:32 AM

[quote] You would think family or friends would try to tell him that his romance wasn't real.

He kept it from everyone for a long time right? A part of him could have known it was dumb. Maybe he thought it was just a friend sorta. Someone to talk to. It's a little crazy his cousin was oh yeah, I know her. Manti was like cool Facebook rando, great.

by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2022 4:42 PM

Did they have phone sex a lot?

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2022 10:15 PM

He played college football and couldn’t find a real girlfriend? That’s tragic.

Most college athletes have no trouble finding willing women.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote]He played college football and couldn’t find a real girlfriend? That’s tragic. Most college athletes have no trouble finding willing women.

It's like it says up above:

[quote]Moreover, because it made Te’o happy—and helped him cope with the strangeness of relocating from his tropical Mormon Hawaiian community to the midwestern Catholic cold of Notre Dame—it largely seemed like a net positive.

He thought he was talking to a girl, from a similar background to his, and he was able to have a "relationship" based off of conversation at a time when he was vulnerable.

I can buy him being a stranger in a strange place looking for a lifeline that reminded him of home.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2022 10:30 PM

He seems very stupid. If I were his wife I would never let him handle our money, he would probably trade their home or car for magic beans or something

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2022 1:29 AM

Men who get catfished are gay. No straight man will fall for this crap. They want the puss not the clout.

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2022 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!