Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Experts Say Its "Unlikely" To Catch Monkey Pox From Gym Equipment

Dr. Jessica Justman, associate professor of medicine in epidemiology at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health, says it's "unlikely" for a variety of reasons, including that gym equipment, unlike linens, is "not very porous," which means it's easier to wipe the virus off — something that happens "now more than ever," because of likely in-place COVID-19 protocols.

Important to note, Justman says, is that the monkeypox virus is an "enveloped virus," meaning "each virus particle is coated with a fatty membrane, which is easily disrupted by detergents and other cleaning agents. Without an envelope, the virus is no longer infectious."

Further adding to the low risk factor here, she explains, is that the most infectious areas of this virus are the sores, or pustular lesions, "which tend to be in the genital area." So, for a transmission from such a sore to take place via a gym mat, for example, "someone with monkeypox would first work out on a mat while wearing clothing that does not cover the sores. This person would not wipe the mat down when done. Finally, a second person would work out on the mat while wearing only minimal clothing in order to have direct contact with the mat."

Justman adds, "It's very hard to imagine this complex scenario."

A recent assessment of ranked monkeypox risks from NBC News Chicago that's already been turned into a widely distributed chart agreed, citing Chicago Department of Public Health officials and calling gym equipment (along with public restrooms) "highly unlikely," and noting that "no such cases have been reported so far."

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 6:15 PM

My musky slut trench has to sit DIRECTLY on the handlebars in many cases. It’s the only way I know how to work out.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2022 6:41 PM

I wonder if there will be outbreaks at colleges and universities this fall

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2022 6:44 PM

This bitch sounds retarded.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2022 7:03 PM

[quote] for a transmission from such a sore to take place via a gym mat, for example, "someone with monkeypox would first work out on a mat while wearing clothing that does not cover the sores. This person would not wipe the mat down when done. Finally, a second person would work out on the mat while wearing only minimal clothing in order to have direct contact with the mat."

[quote] Justman adds, "It's very hard to imagine this complex scenario."

Clearly she never went to The West Hollywood Athletic Club in 1998...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2022 9:02 PM

I wiped down all the equipment twice before I used it this morning.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 10:54 AM

Good. I, too, will be careful, but I'm not stopping going to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 10:58 AM

What about the steam rooms in gyms?

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 11:05 AM

I am glad because I don't wanna get fat and continue going to the gym. But does that change if someone sits on gym equipment with their exposed anus, like da dog?

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 5:31 PM

"Monkeypox" wounds.

It's now called Clade IIb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 5:52 PM

Heh r7 best me to it. The place guys will catch monkeypox is in the sauna.

Around 95% of cases occur through sexual contact, you are very unlikely to need to worry about monkeypox unless you are hooking up. Call a spade a spade.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 5:55 PM

When I wipe my ass on a public toilet but someone touched the toilet paper with his monkeypox finger, will I get monkeypox on my anus?

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 6:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!