Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The New York Times will publish anything these days.

Evidently all the editors have been terminated.

From a "review" of Beyonce's latest project: "It’s too much, this being alive. Too heavy, too uncertain, too chronically cataclysmic, too bellicose, too unwell, too freighted with a possibility of the perception of error. The word of the last few years — in American activist and academic circles, anyway — has been “precarity.” Which gets at ideas of endangerment, neglect, contingency, risk. Basically: We’re worried. And: We’re worried you’re not worried enough. Like I said: It’s too much."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2022 5:10 PM

Dear god. What painful prose.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2022 12:00 AM

I don't think I'm ready for this nelly.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2022 12:04 AM

Now I have a headache.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2022 12:07 AM

Actually sounds like Beyonce lyrics. Shit, through and through.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2022 12:09 AM

Apprenticeship on woke college newspapers leaves its mark. And the old editors are too fearful of cancellation to intervene after what they've seen happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2022 12:11 AM

Of all the great black artists, I can't believe this charisma-free skank gets worshipped like a god. I will never understand that, she's just so bland in every way imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2022 12:12 AM

Precarity? That’s not a word.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2022 12:13 AM

This is what I hate about many hardcore Beyonce enthusiasts- they don't just enjoy her music, they claim it is revolutionary and groundbreaking art with deep social importance. Beyonce was never brilliant, and has only become more generic in her sound, even as she packages herself differently. Comparing her new album with the house music/older artists that inspired it, her energy and creativity are severely lacking.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2022 12:13 AM

R7 ummm...

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2022 12:14 AM

The author of this piece - Wesley Morris - has actually won the Pulitzer Prize twice. He's now the NYT's critic-at-large writing mostly about race and culture.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote] writing mostly about race and culture.

Since to the Times they are the same thing

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2022 12:16 AM

I did not renew my subscription today.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2022 12:17 AM

That author was probably hired to fill a quota. This is what "equity" is getting us.

He won the Pulitzer Prize twice? Not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 12:20 AM

Wesley Morris is gay. No pictures of his husand anywhere on the internet, though. I wonder why. He came out later in life.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2022 12:22 AM

Precariousness is a word.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2022 12:28 AM

The one thing these house POC’s like Morris and Roxane Gay won’t touch is the sacred cow of NYT culture-class privilege.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2022 12:31 AM

I was wondering if this was by Morris. Wesley pre-2015 was fun and intelligent. His podcast on Grantland was a great hang where he didn’t take things (or himself) too seriously. That Wesley would’ve scoffed at deifying Beyoncé of all people.

But it’s like a switch was thrown, and overnight he became a self-serious, humorless bore. It’s a shame.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2022 12:32 AM

Morris probably makes $250k a year working as the NYT's critic at large, where he has no editor and can write about anything he wants. He's won two Pulitzer prizes. Yet he acts like armageddon is upon him and that worshipping Beyonce is the only positive thing left to do.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2022 12:37 AM

This is nothing compared to the weekly brain droppings shat out by the likes of Maureen Dowd and David Brooks. NYT has been trash for years, a flowery music review is the least of their problems. I mean the author clearly loves Beyonce a bit too much but at least he's not advocating for another war in the mid east, claiming that male democrats are so girly that they lactate, or claiming that Donald trump would be a better president than Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote] I was wondering if this was by Morris. Wesley pre-2015 was fun and intelligent.

I enjoyed his piece on cinematic penis on screen. This over-praising piece is far from that though.

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2022 12:44 AM

The NYT was never known for its sensitive and discerning arts coverage.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2022 12:47 AM

[quote] Precarity? That’s not a word.

It's a word to describe nascent dental cavities.

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2022 1:02 AM

The top comment:

My wife and I listened to the album after reading this review, wondering if we had listened to the same music as Wesley.

It’s bad. It’s boring. It’s trite. It’s egotistical, approaching juvenile angst.

Even the vocals, in most songs, teeter between a few notes, coming through like a jazzy Gregorian chant.

The album feels rushed and canned. As a whole, the album lacks growth from previous work, and Beyonce’s creativity sounds like another victim of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2022 1:04 AM

[quote] That author was probably hired to fill a quota. …He won the Pulitzer Prize twice? Not surprising.

The Pulitzer Prizes and the Nobel Prizes are now allocated to fill a quota

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2022 1:07 AM

R23 I am sure the person that left that comment was called racist by the retarded beybots.

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2022 1:08 AM

R24 The Oscars are now allocated to fill a quota

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2022 1:09 AM

I don't think the Nobels are quota fillers yet but any awards based in the US (aka Wokeistan) most certainly are.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2022 1:12 AM

Have loved his earlier works. His paean to Taylor Mac was a masterwork, but this is unintelligible. Wonder if he wrote it as a POS to find out if anyone is actually editing it.

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2022 1:14 AM

[quote]The Pulitzer Prizes and the Nobel Prizes are now allocated to fill a quota

Booker Prize too. Remember when that awful book written by Arundhati Roy, God of something, won the Booker. It was pure shite.

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2022 1:16 AM

I like Morris. His film reviews are usually pretty great and he makes me think about things beyond the work itself. I haven't read this review because I don't give two shits about Beyonce, but that's too bad if his writing has suffered in the last few years. I saw him on a Desus & Mero video and I agreed with him on the debate between La La Land and Moonlight. At least the Oscars got that one right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2022 1:22 AM

Woke ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2022 1:27 AM

[quote] Woke ruins everything.

Woke is all about Mind-Control and Social Engineering.

by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2022 1:29 AM

OK, time for bed, Klan Grannies.

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2022 1:35 AM

Beyoncé’smusic is engineered not organically created. I don’t think she dreams of being a great artist. She just needs to be “seen” as one. I’ve never felt anything from her music. The songs have the right notes, message, composition and goodness knows enough writers but it’s missing something. Soul? Humanity? Connection? IDK. of course most musicians currently have that issue. And I won’t get started on Swift.

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2022 1:45 AM

I like her music, but her fans are the most fucking annoying, insufferable fanbase in music history. And I agree, for an icon, she really doesn't have the receipts. Where's that one defining performance? That one ballad that everyone knows?

I particularly love the Bey stans on Twitter who are so down with telling the truth on racism and social justice and conveniently overlook the fact that this woman recently defied a labor boycott of racial discrimination by having a party at the Chateau Marmont. Where was Kelly Rowland's outrage then? I guess those black women and men didn't matter.

They also ignore the numerous times her husband has lined his pockets at the expense of the black community.

by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2022 1:46 AM

When did Bitchonce becum a 25 yrs old white gurl with a white girl nose?

by Anonymousreply 36August 11, 2022 1:47 AM

Her hair is this color—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2022 1:48 AM

I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I started reading the Times when I was in college and continued for over 30 years until about 8 years ago. The absolutely horrible opinion pieces full of blatant lies along with news article containing false equivalency became unbearable. It's morphed into a significantly flawed and diminished newspaper of record.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2022 1:54 AM

In England, the paragraph quoted by OP would immediately be entered in "Pseud's Corner" in Private Eye mag.

Amurka needs similar.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2022 1:58 AM

OP They will publish anything! It seems all you have to do is have a headshot that resembles Erin-undercover-as-a-blogger in The Office to get a byline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2022 2:01 AM

Wesley hasn't been the same since he got semi-cancelled over an article he published right before covid hit in which he was mildly critical of the excesses of the woke twitter lot so this is surprising - he has never been overly political, which I appreciated. The new album is basically just a long House mix - which is fine by me but it isn't anything revolutionary.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2022 4:56 AM

“steeped in Black queer bravado”? Fuck this guy. I stop reading when I see the Q-slur.

I like Beyoncé, though.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2022 5:16 AM

The new york times is another embarrassing victim of woke overcorrection. Every arts article is black this or black that. Meanwhile, 13% of the population. Sit the f down.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2022 5:34 AM

Yeah,13% of the population accounting for at least 50% of American music heritage.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 1:56 AM

Is she now identifying as a White Girl with a Tan?

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 2:01 AM

Beyonce is an artistic icon. She is the 21st century Shakespeare. Don't hate. Learn to embrace excellence and appreciate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 2:03 AM

The writing in the New York Times is horrible across the board. I use it solely as a source of reporting, and it is never a pleasure to read.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2022 2:11 AM

[quote] She is the 21st century Shakespeare.

But I remember you telling us that Whitney was the 21st century Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2022 2:12 AM

[quote] Every arts article is black this or black that.

Every arts article is Black this or Black that.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2022 2:13 AM

That's what she looks like now? She is unrecognizable. Guess that's what "precarity" does to you.

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2022 2:22 AM

Roxane Gay was a guest host last week on Pivot podcast with Kara Swisher. Roxane's stupidity was stupefying. Appalling inattention to what Kara and other guest Ken Burns were discussing. JUST BLACKITY BLACKITY BLACKITY BLACK BLACK BLACK

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2022 2:23 AM

[quote]Yeah,13% of the population accounting for at least 50% of American music heritage.

Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2022 2:26 AM

Roxane Gay even said something about maybe Native Americans deserve reparations "but CERTAINLY blacks do".

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2022 2:28 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2022 2:34 AM

R48, I've never made such an absurd comment so you must have me mistaken me for someone else. Whitney had a beautiful voice of course but she's not even greater than Madonna.

First there was Elvis, then the Beatles, then Michael Jackson, Prince, and then there was Beyonce--the Martin Luther of mass media and music.

by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2022 4:22 PM

👍😃.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2022 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!