Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BEARKING: US to declare monkeypox a public health emergency

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. will declare a public health emergency to bolster the federal response to the outbreak of monkeypox that already has infected more than 6,600 Americans, two people familiar with the matter said Thursday.

The announcement will free up federal funding and resources to fight the virus, which may cause fever, body aches, chills, fatigue and pimple-like bumps on many parts of the body. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement.

The declaration comes as the the Biden administration has faced criticism over the pace of vaccine availability for monkeypox. Clinics in major cities like New York and San Francisco say they haven’t received enough of the two-shot vaccine to meet demand and some have had to stop offering the second dose of the vaccine to ensure supply of first doses. The White House said it has made more than 1.1 million doses of vaccine available and has helped to boost domestic diagnostic capacity to 80,000 tests per week.

The monkeypox virus spreads through prolonged and close skin-to-skin contact, including hugging, cuddling and kissing, as well as sharing bedding, towels and clothing. People getting sick so far have been primarily men who have sex with men. But health officials emphasize that the virus can infect anyone.

The announcement comes three days after the Biden administration named top officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to serve as the White House coordinators to combat the monkeypox outbreak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2022 2:46 AM

Bearking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2022 6:29 PM

Thanks, Fags

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2022 6:31 PM

🐻👑 fans please defend OP. Haters will F&F him to get him locked out. W&Ws offset the hate.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2022 6:33 PM

We should have given Africa a vaccine when it first appeared.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2022 6:34 PM

🐻👑❤️ R3

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2022 6:34 PM

Hey, Neely. Happy honeymoon!

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2022 6:35 PM

Damn dirty apes!

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2022 6:40 PM

BEARKING has just moved in alongside DL legends Maroon and WHET.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2022 6:51 PM

I love BEARKING!

Itsch one of few wordsch I schay like everybody elsch!

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2022 6:58 PM

R8, and “Lens”

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2022 7:07 PM

How is Maroon a DL legend, r8? We didn't come up with it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2022 7:18 PM

Yeah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2022 8:10 PM

bearking is a loser

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2022 8:46 PM

BEARKING is suppressed!

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2022 8:48 PM

Bearking is Trans POC

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2022 8:57 PM

Beardking is so watered down. Desperation by twats with no creativity, no individuality.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2022 8:59 PM

As opposed to all the other DL memes that reflect creativity and individuality?

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2022 9:00 PM

[quote]Beardking

So ... Liza?

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2022 9:01 PM

FF use of retarded "bearking"

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2022 9:02 PM

The Bearking cummeth!

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2022 9:06 PM

R18, schee R9, scheweetie!

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2022 9:14 PM

F&F is not supposed to be a thumbs down.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2022 9:18 PM

I smell another global quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2022 9:19 PM

Whew gurl, well yall let me know when I need to go out and start hoarding toilet tissue again 🧻

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2022 9:20 PM

Xavier the only Mexican ever made me moist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2022 9:23 PM

What is F&F then?

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2022 9:23 PM

Epi curve of Monkeypox cases in Europe, similar to England and some other major cities, suggesting peak and decline. Likely due to behavior change, vaccination programs and immunity in those recovered

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2022 9:30 PM

Bout freakin time ! It should have been done 6 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2022 9:32 PM

That would have shown about three months of uncharacteristic foresight.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2022 9:49 PM

Theoretically, F&F is for trolls (right-wing shit stains, racists, homophobes, sexists, etc)

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2022 10:51 PM

(r30 was meant for r26)

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2022 11:30 PM

Fucking finally.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2022 12:07 AM

well you can't deny there is something seriously wrong in the US regarding the public health, first Covid, now Monkey Pox, neither originated in the US but in almost no time US took the lead in the global case count, leaving other countries far behind, rich or poor, all those countries just handle it better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2022 8:53 AM

some user comments from NYT, certainly not kind!

[quote] So for covid we were forced to change our behavior en masse, mask up, keep kids home from daycare, social distance etc. and apparently that was ok.. so why is it not ok to ask a specific demographic not to engage a certain type of behavior? why is a group being treated with kid gloves?

[quote] I wonder if liberal culture has made it impossible to actually respond to the monkeypox emergency, in that it is apparently impossible to say that if gay men who engage in multi-partner anonymous sex would alter their behavior, the problem would diminish greatly. It's not realistic to complain that the rest of the world is slow to respond to monkeypox when a simple change in behavior would save a lot of pain and misery. To be clear, the problem is not sex or gay sex - the problem is unsafe sex, casual sex, multi-partner sex, all of that. The problem is overwhelmingly confined to gay men, and gay men have the clear and obvious ability to protect themselves from monkeypox. Get more vaccines out there, and other treatments, to be sure, but let's just face objective reality.

[quote] We all had to lock ourselves at home, cancel holidays, and wear masks for two years, but it would be beyond the pale to ask gay men to lay off the unprotected sex with strangers for a few weeks?

[quote] We shut down schools to stop the spread of COVID but won't tell gay men to stop having sex with multiple anonymous partners? When monkeypox mutates and starts spreading rapidly through the general population through the air, we will know whom to blame. Yes, irresponsible selfish sexual gratification that threatens harm to an innocent population is worth stigmatizing.

[quote] My kids school was closed for 18 months to “slow the spread” of COVID, but for forbid anyone suggest canceling Pride orgies.

[quote] Why are we paying for people who can't control themselves and abstain for a few months? Are we still not allowed to point our fingers at the one group that is driving this epidemic? Yes, they bring it home to others, but the people exchanging indiscriminate intimacies should be paying for these vaccines. A few months ago, Miami was giving out free vaccines for meningitis to the same group. Keep it zipped for a few months and pay for your own health care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2022 9:11 AM

Right-wring Twitter is especially horrifying on this topic, r34

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2022 9:39 AM

R33, the country places a great premium on being #1, after all.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2022 12:24 PM

R34 made for hard reading. There was a logic running through it. I wish straight people didn't have such a grasp of the recklessness of some of us.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2022 12:27 PM

I wish more gay people had a grasp of it, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2022 12:46 PM

Stats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2022 5:24 PM

SylviaFowler: hysterical ninny attention seeker

Doomsay with dignity, though it is most likely beyond you

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2022 5:37 PM

It's so pathetic to me that the gay male community has acted so irresponsibly in reacting to this. They should have known better. Of all groups, they should have known better.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2022 7:00 PM

I liked that line in somebody's article: we have the freedom of a great attitude and relationship to sex and we have responsibilities as a result.

Kind of.

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2022 7:54 PM

You want to know the problem. They just had an idiot news reporter on the local station here in Chicago asking a doctor questions about the upcoming gay gathering, Market Days. (Of course, they didn't call it a gay gathering but and LGBTQIA+...he literally said all of that instead of 'gay'.) In talking about what interactions might be happening during Market Days he literally said, "things like high-fiving, hugging hello, kissing on the cheek, or dancing with no shirt on" and asked how those things might permit transmission. The doctor was like, "Asshole, it the multiple partner sex that's the problem but, sure, put a shirt on, too." WTF is wrong with the media in this country???

by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2022 11:14 PM

What about DonkeyPox?

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2022 11:17 PM

Stop trying to make "bearking" happen. "Bearking" will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2022 11:20 PM

[quote] WTF is wrong with the media in this country???

MARY

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2022 11:31 PM

R46 is too stupid for adult discussion.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2022 11:34 PM

MARY ^

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2022 11:36 PM

Hope Secretary Mayor Pete doesn't come down with the monkey pox.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2022 11:45 PM

R48 also has a one word vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2022 11:46 PM

R45 it already happened and I like 🐻👑

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2022 11:50 PM

🐻👑❤️ r51

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2022 11:51 PM

I bet my pink, tight shithole that a Repug politician will come down with monkeypox first! Yes, he will. God bless.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2022 11:55 PM

I hope it's Hawley, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2022 11:56 PM

Really scary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2022 2:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!