Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guys, did you play with Barbies?

Be honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2022 4:52 AM

Does Jem and the Holograms count?

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2022 5:59 PM

Big Josh and friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2022 6:03 PM

These malleable fashion dolls are so much better than the live ones who talk back.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2022 6:14 PM

I had two sisters mad about the Mattel world but I got the Kens.

Ken would visit but afterwards he always came back to my house and the other Kens (including Cock Ring Ken, Sailor Ken, Farmer Ken, Sugar Daddy Ken, Lifeguard Ken and Fast Food Burger Jockey Ken), Brad, Dreadlocks Brad, Allan Sherwood and, of course, Gay Bob, the uncle of them all.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2022 6:34 PM

I played with Barbie and her playhouse when I was at my (female) cousins'.

Even then I knew I wasn't supposed to.

It was a quick slide into sneaking a look at Playgirl. I never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2022 6:35 PM

I had Kissing Barbi and a holiday Barbi. A Ken doll and I had a Skipper for a while (my dog gnawed on her and my mom threw her in the garbage bin). After a year or so they were all naked and primarily played with as sex dolls.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2022 7:08 PM

No, but I had Ken doll, and my father even bought me outfits for it a couple of times (unsolicited).

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2022 8:29 PM

I played with troll dolls with the wild hair. Never graduated to Barbies.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2022 8:43 PM

Yes.

My sister's.

And I knew it was 'wrong'.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2022 8:43 PM

Of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2022 8:48 PM

But we had Lincoln Logs when I was a kid. I would build these villages and use the tiniest logs like they were villagers.

No Barbies, though.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2022 8:49 PM

i chewed their boobies.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2022 8:49 PM

No, but I had ALL the She-Ra figures. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2022 8:50 PM

Cultural appropriation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2022 8:51 PM

My father wouldn’t let me have one because he was afraid I’d turn out gay if I played with girl dolls. When I was 5 years old, I wanted a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman doll as bad as Ralphie wanted a Red Ryder BB gun.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2022 8:54 PM

My sister had a kissing Barbie. You pushed a button-maybe it was on her back- and she’d pucker up. And I think she had lipstick or a lip stamp that worked like lipstick. And Cher and Farah makeup/hair busts. My other sister had a Tuesday Taylor, that I now own, along with a Sandi brand (Barbie-adjacent) dining room set. The top of Tuesday Taylor’s head spun around so you could change her hair color from blonde to brunette. And she got a suntan if you stuck her outside for a bit. God that stuff is so fun and campy.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2022 9:06 PM

No, I knew that was off the table. All the MEGO dolls, er, ACTION FIGURES, had to suffice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2022 9:10 PM

Tuesday Taylor is no Tiffany Taylor, r16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2022 9:15 PM

R18: Only in the 1970’s could a kid aspire to such lofty heights of glamor and sophistication!

However, I still say Tuesday Taylor was better. She and her whore sister Suntan Dodi both had spinning heads…plus a very high risk for melanoma. You can’t beat that combo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2022 9:27 PM

I had Lt. Uhura rather than a Barbie. My mom even made a different dress for her to wear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2022 9:50 PM

No. I was into G.I. Joe.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2022 10:02 PM

My sister got this limited-edition Miss America Barbie for Christmas in 1972. I became addicted to the glamour at first sight. (It was actually Steffie, one of Barbie's D-list friends.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2022 10:09 PM

My brother and I "played" with our sister's dolls, but that meant acting out horror movie scenarios for them. We were especially proud of an Iron Maiden we made with spikes painted with red nail polish (to simulate blood, of course).

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2022 10:14 PM

My sister also had one of those creepy Blythe dolls with the eyes that changed color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2022 10:18 PM

I would play Barbies with my female cousin, but always knew I had to act like I didn’t really want to.

I had some GI Joes, a Big Jim, a Ken, a Six Million Dollar Man, and for some reason, this one-Suntan Eric, boyfriend of Tuesday Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2022 10:18 PM

Suntan Eric is damned lucky monkeypox wasn't around back then.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2022 10:21 PM

I also wanted a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman doll so much! I never got one, but my parents did get me a Bionic Woman doll to go with my Six Million Dollar Man doll.

I also had a Stretch Armstrong.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2022 10:29 PM

Only to dismember.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2022 10:30 PM

It’s hilarious to me that I couldn’t get a Barbie, but my parents were okay with me having “action figures” like hunky Big Josh, who was like the gayest doll ever. He looks like a Tom of Finland drawing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2022 10:35 PM

Those go for BIG bucks, r24.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2022 10:43 PM

Peteena also goes for big bucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2022 10:45 PM

I never actually had a Barbie but I’d play with my cousin’s when I was at her house, it wasn’t a big deal. And when she’d visit me she’d play with my cars.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2022 10:45 PM

I had a whole collection of Barbie dolls in the 60s. My aunt even made outfits for them. What the fuck do you think my conservative parents thought of my love of dolls and James West? They loved me and never said a word.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2022 10:49 PM

'63

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2022 10:56 PM

I didn’t have any sisters.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2022 11:01 PM

The Kenner Blythe dolls were made only in 1972 and sell for thousands of dollars on eBay. Takara, a Japanese company, bought the license and started making them again in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote]Takara, a Japanese company, bought the license and started making them again in the early 2000s.

And they ain't cheap, either.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2022 11:10 PM

Of course the BLYTHE dolls would be catnip to DLers.

They all wore caftans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2022 1:57 AM

Some of the reproductions Barbie does are pretty cool. A reproduction of a 1967 Francie doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2022 2:14 AM

1977 Superstar Christie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2022 2:19 AM

R15 my mom and dad bought me a Wonder Woman doll when I was four yrs old because I had to have it since my new fave tv show was ABC’s Wonder Woman starring Lynda Carter. I remember my mom and dad went to the city Christmas shopping about 2 weeks before Xmas. I stayed the day and into the night with my grandparents while they shopped for me. I’m guessing around 10 pm, my mom knocked on my grandparents door to take me home. I remember just a few minutes before that, my grandma saying aloud “I wonder what’s taking your mom and dad so long? I wish they’d hurry up and get back. I’d like to go to bed”. My grandpa had already gone to bed. I remember being excited when I got into the car because I requested my folks bring me an early Xmas present by way of the newly released WW doll. I asked my dad “did you find Wonder Woman for me”? He looked back at me from the front seat and said “no, they were sold out”. I felt instantly crushed as I had been anticipating them buying the doll for me. I began to cry. All of a sudden my dad pulled the Mego brand doll out from the darkness of the front floor board and handed me the boxed Wonder Woman doll as he backed out of my grandparent’s drive way and drove us home. I recall trying very hard to see the vivid images of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman on the box by way of the passing street lights on our short ride home. Upon our arrival, I ran into the living room and unboxed my new fave doll and began styling Diana Prince in various action poses. I was so happy! So happy in fact, that I really didn’t want to go to bed a short while later but somehow managed knowing I’d have the following day to play with Wonder Woman for as long as I wished.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2022 2:14 PM

R41 That is sweet. It's like a Hallmark commercial, those nostalgic ones they aired during the Hallmark Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2022 2:23 PM

R41, you should tweet that story to Lynda Carter.

She'd love it!

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2022 2:37 PM

r29, I had that Big Josh with the talking backpack, too. It said things like, "Let's find some firewood." and "It's rough-going, can you make it?"

I also had the blond Big Jeff with the machete and bamboo stalk.

Also, I DID play with Barbies.

by Anonymousreply 44August 2, 2022 2:58 PM

My sister is six years older than me. I inherited/stole her Barbie, Madge and Ken, along with all the homemade clothes our mom made for her, when I was 7 or 8. I used to play with the fat girl down the street, who I had to bribe with dill pickles to play with me. I saw nothing wrong with it and didn't like the GI Joe they tried to enforce upon me. Madge was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 45August 2, 2022 3:04 PM

When I did play with Barbies at my cousins, I was always stripping them off and rubbing their boobs, so I guess that made them not too worried about me. They just didn't notice I would rub Ken's smooth crotch, too. But, at least in the older ones it isn't accurate to say Ken doesn't have a penis, because he has permanent underwear molded on so we can't see his dick.

by Anonymousreply 46August 2, 2022 3:06 PM

if children toys was insight into the future, then I'd say it's surprising I DIDN'T become a furry.

Tho, someone did gift me a Jamie Sommers (The Bionic Woman) doll, if I recall the version I got was separate to early versions to insanely "Tall" as far as dolls go and there was a paper backdrop with a super computer and a desk with a fax machine.

But a few years after, I'd have a home pc and people would rather spend a buck on text games than three to five on action figures... and the diorama hell would finally end.

by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2022 3:11 PM

Midge, r45...

by Anonymousreply 48August 2, 2022 4:43 PM

Midge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2022 4:44 PM

Maxi was cheap cheap cheap!

by Anonymousreply 50August 2, 2022 7:01 PM

Barbie brought an end to the 10" fashion doll like Jill, Jan, Toni, and...Little Miss Revlon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 2, 2022 7:23 PM

Yes I stuck Barbie in my ass feet first.

by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2022 10:13 PM

Why, r52?

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2022 10:15 PM

I don’t know!!

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2022 10:18 PM

I guess I was gearing up for foot fisting

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2022 10:20 PM

Here's a cute Barbie fashion show featuring vintage and mod fashions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2022 11:49 PM

Nam was not kind to GI Joe.

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2022 12:12 AM

[quote]I had that Big Josh with the talking backpack, too. It said things like, "Let's find some firewood." and "It's rough-going, can you make it?"

"Hey buddy, wanna sit on my face?"

by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2022 12:41 PM

Yes.

My mother sighed when I asked for Barbie's camper on Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2022 12:53 PM

I played with my sister's Barbies, but would make up narratives where they were decapitated.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2022 2:31 PM

I played with my best friend and her huge Barbie doll collection all the time. She had everything, the houses, pools, bathtub, rotating kitchen and then my sister's Barbies later.

Then, like a normal boy, once I hit around 11 or 12, I put them in my GI Joe Jeep and sent them off cliffs and simulated all kinds of accidents or set on fire or blew up the doll houses with firecrackers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2022 3:12 PM

Yes. In 2nd grade, I was sent to the school social worker, as they were concerned about my "girlish tendencies". I don't think there was ever a time anyone thought I was straight. Well, except for my poor, sweet, baffled prom date.

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2022 3:19 PM

[quote]I was sent to the school social worker, as they were concerned about my "girlish tendencies".

Such progress compared to today. Not.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2022 3:35 PM

My sister had the multi-story Barbie Townhouse. I would arrange all the furniture and dolls and then “Earthquake” the shit out if it.

One Barbie would try to escape via elevator (which we all know not to do during a fire or natural disaster). As punishment for her stupidity the elevator would break free of the shaft and swing out like a pendulum and Barbie would meet a Jennifer Jones “Towering Inferno” demise.

She also had a “Grow Up Skipper.” I’d remove Skipper’s top and then crank her arm to make her tits pop out over and over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 8, 2022 3:38 AM

Yes but I think a lot of little boys did. My very heterosexual cousin loved barbies as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2022 4:16 AM

Everyone in my family freaked out when I played with my cousin's Barbies, so I did it secretly, quickly and never thought of asking for one.

My uncle's solution to my "problem" was to buy me a battery powered stripper doll that he bought in Las Vegas. She wore a bikini and was "anatomically correct" but IIRC only from the waist up. (Her boobs had nipples). She was on a stand with a button that you slid over and she "danced."

The doll embarassed me and it sat on a dresser inside my closet for years. I don't remember if I threw it away, or my mother got rid of it when I went to college.

My parents did buy me GI Joes which I thought were boring. (If only they sold outfits instead of just the army ones they came with).

Meanwhile, I had an Aquaman doll based on the 60s cartoon Aquaman. I loved bathing with him and made sure not to get his superhero outfit wet when he bathed with me.

Aside from Aquqman, my gayest toy was my Spirograph set. I guess since this was considered a "unisex" toy it was a little racy.

My parents said surely it would make me an architect one day. (?)

I did actually work for an architect once. I was not asked to perform any Spirograph duties, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 8, 2022 4:31 AM

Did I play with Barbie's _ what?

by Anonymousreply 67December 8, 2022 4:35 AM

Not so much with Barbie...

But Ken and G.I. Joe wouldn't stop sucking my dick!

by Anonymousreply 68December 8, 2022 4:43 AM

Barbra >>> Barbie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 8, 2022 4:48 AM

[quote]But Ken and G.I. Joe wouldn't stop sucking my dick!

Yeah, as soon as Barbie's pink convertible was out of the driveway...

G.I. Joe was always like, "Hey, let's wrestle".

but Ken would just bend over and present hole while moaning homosexually.

by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2022 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!