Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When you KNOW something happened, & it’s been scrubbed from the internet

(Or you’re just really inept at search terms)

Back in the early ‘90s, I remember an incident from the Joan Rivers talk show, that I remember very vividly, but can’t find a trace of it on the net.

One of Joan’s guests was this lady from BET (Robin?) who was their music correspondent. She was mid-50s, which surprised me, I always thought she was too old to be commenting on hip trends in music, & had this really annoying voice.

So she’s talking to Joan & is dismissing rumors about Prince being gay, & said, verbatim, “Prince ain’t no fag.” Joan flipped & said something like how dare you! To which idiot Robin repeated something like, “No, I said he ain’t no fag!”

Joan then scolded her, saying she has lots of gay friends & how dare she use that offensive term, & booted her off the stage.

I was a semi-fan of her show & would catch it when I could, but didn’t see that actual episode. But the incident made national news, which is where I saw clips of it.

I can’t find anything about the show, & can’t even find Robin’s last name (I’m actually not even sure if her name was Robin—certainly not Quivers). Am I crazy, or did this actually happen? Does anyone remember this?

by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2022 5:53 PM

Never happened.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2022 6:37 AM

Her last name was Damon.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2022 6:37 AM

I don't see the problem

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2022 6:38 AM

You can't find a trace of it on the internet because it is of such minor insignicance it was not even worth the time it took for me to respond to you.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2022 6:42 AM

Are you sure it was her televised talk show and not one of her many radio programs?

Though I would expect there to be a text trail even for that.. It's a controversial remark. about a major celebrity of the day.

Not even a blip on the artist formerly known as...

but back in the day, she didn't have as much bite as she did towards the end of her life.

So, maybe this is all Groucho Marx and You Bet Your Life... countless people remembered it too.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2022 7:45 AM

She did have a show dedicated to Prince protégés including, as my faded memory recalls, Vanity (now turned to religion) and discussion of straight men who found Prince sexually attractive.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2022 7:57 AM

^ it was her tv talk show, I remember watching the clip, pre-DVR, & wished I could’ve recorded that day’s ep.

I remember the BeT chick, she would come on & do little 2min segments on BeT. I remember one time she profiles Cat, Prince’s protege (Robin or whatever her name was was big on Prince). To this day I remember how she drawled out the name Caaaaaaat.

For the life of me I don’t know why I can’t find this anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2022 7:59 AM

Mandela effect

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2022 8:20 AM

OP maybe the Secret Service could help you track down the missing footage.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2022 8:27 AM

OP, I searched old Usenet archives and found references to the show, but nothing specifically about the "fag" comment. It was Robin Powers.

[quote]OMG!!! circa 1991 on Joan Rivers Show

[quote] Posted: Nov 19, 2001, 5:28:21 PM

[quote]Dat old bat Helen Perrera and the Prince Thang editor . . . . Robin Powers with her "I am a VERY CLOSE Friend of Prince", hotties Lori and Robia and Joan Rivers that scrag . . . totally clueless about Prince.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2022 8:32 AM

This wasn't scrubbed from the internet, by the way. The interview was 1989, I believe. There was no internet for it to be scrubbed from. I do believe some of it's online though, the segment was "Why Do Women Love Prince?"

Is this part of the interview? No one was kicked off. I think you may have the Joan Rivers - Robin Powers interview confused with another interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2022 8:35 AM

I can't find footage of Hitler's marriage to Eva Braun in the Führerbunker.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2022 8:45 AM

^ Senator Hawley, You have been warned about the inappropriate use of your government issued computer.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2022 8:54 AM

I remember Johnny Carson had golf champion Arnold Palmer's wife on when she told Johnny, "Before Arnie plays a tournament, for good luck, I kiss his balls". To which Johnny replied, "I bet that makes his putter stand on end"

Then there was the time he had Raquel Welch on, she brought her cat out and asked Johnny. "Would you like to pet my pussy?" To which Johnny replied, "Yeah, move the cat"

Can't find either clip

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2022 9:43 AM

I was gay, once.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2022 10:18 AM

OP = I used to watch Joan Rivers Show religiously. Not sure of the story you are talking about...But are you sure you aren't thinking about chick from Sister2Sister magazine? She used to come on Joans show all the time and talk about the Urban Music Scene...

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2022 10:26 AM

In the late 90s, shows catering to an "urban" audience premiered during late night, attempting to copy Arsenio Hall's success. One of those shows, VIBE, had Naomi Campbell and Demi Moore on during a segment sitting next to each other. Demi was coked out of her mind. She kept stroking Naomi, telling her how beautiful she was. Demi practically crawled into her lap. Naomi seemed taken aback; she wasn't rude, but she wasn't biting, either. The host nervously cracked jokes as one of the world's biggest actors manhandled one of THE supermodels of the day.

I was so amazed by it, I emailed E!'s Ted Casablancas (MARY!!!). He called me naughty. I wish I still had that ancient email.

Every once in a while, I'll do a Youtube search for this incident, but I've never found it. I, did, however, find an interview Naomi did with Demi on Unfiltered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2022 10:39 AM

Now I absolutely remember talking about Demi falling all over Naomi, and I remember the incident coming up again about 10 years ago, I think? Demi was dating some younger guy that she met at a party thrown by Naomi Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2022 10:55 AM

I was trying to find the Demi-Naomi thing and instead stumbled across this old 1996 gossip where Sandra Bullock was gushing about dating Matthew McConaughey and implying she was thinking about marrying him! Ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2022 10:58 AM

"Johnny Carson Once Told Dolly Parton He’d ‘Give About a Year’s Pay to Peek’ at Her Undressed"

And here's the clip...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2022 11:13 AM

Omarosa on The Surreal Life. Gone.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2022 11:20 AM

Johnny Carson was a creep and quite immature. He wouldn't let anyone who appeared on Joan's show to ever be on his show again. He was a nice guy for 90 minutes a day.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2022 11:29 AM

Helen Lawson assaulting some of Jerry's cripples live on air during his 1968 Muscular Dystrophy Telethon. She screamed "I'll Plant my own foot up your ass. Now MOVE!"

Can't find it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2022 11:35 AM

[quote]Omarosa on The Surreal Life. Gone.

Clips are impossible to find, but she's still listed on the IMDb and in some old articles still online.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2022 11:36 AM

Most people would consider this misremembering, or just plain old confusion.

Millennials, on the other hand, who can NEVER be wrong about anything, have coined this "the Mandela Effect" and propose alternative timelines and universes rather than admitting they made a mistake.

typical.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2022 11:42 AM

R9 The Secret Service is too busy deleting text messages that prove Trump is a traitor and that they are corrupt and complicit in his attempt to overthrow the government.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2022 11:42 AM

Oh Jeez, that Carson “pet the pussy” thing. Talk about Mendela Effect. For over 30 years, I’ve heard people say they saw this. Sometimes the “pussy carrier” is Zsa Zsa Gabor, sometimes it’s Raquel Welch…it never happened.

When I was in college, people claimed they saw an interview with soap actress Eileen Davidson where she revealed she was born a man and had a sex change. I always wondered where that came from.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2022 11:47 AM

Well, except the OP is right in that there was an episode with Robin Powers talking about Prince on Joan Rivers' show, r25.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2022 11:48 AM

R6 Vanity's turn to religion didn't help her much. She died about 6 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2022 11:57 AM

Ok, r27, you get to be right 🙄, but did you know that Johnny and Jane Fonda talked about it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2022 12:06 PM

CWRU professor, PhD named ironically, Dr. Love, was fucking his wide while she was perched on a window sill, the rope broke and she fell and died. Big news locally, stories like that can usually be found on the ‘net even if they happened before it existed, but nothing on this.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2022 12:12 PM

Where did the rumor that Robin Stresser and Susan Lucci were sisters and that Phyllis Diller was their mother start?

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2022 12:14 PM

Strasser. Oops. Google automatically changed it this time as well too.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2022 12:15 PM

It was even posted here, but I can’t find it. Prince Harry ‘tousling’ the hair of two little black boys (maybe at a soccer game?) and he knocks their heads together like he’s Moe Howard.

Can’t find it.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2022 12:49 PM

[quote]Prince Harry ‘tousling’ the hair of two little black boys.

They're referred to a Gollywogs in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2022 2:52 PM

@r34, I heard Prince Harry was patient zero for Monkeypox AND Covid... but it must have been scrubbed from the internet by Sunshine Sachs 🙄

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2022 4:12 PM

There was a photo of then-Mrs. Mike Tyson Robin Givens and donald trump enjoying a private lunch onboard his yacht. I've searched for years, but cannot find the picture.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2022 4:47 PM

Whatever happened to Emily Goodhand?

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2022 7:57 PM

The only existing footage was on a tape kept in a safe at Mar-A-Lago R12.

It’s now in the possession of the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2022 8:02 PM

She ran off with one of your Guncles R38.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2022 8:05 PM

According to Tori spelling, Emily good hand was not as pretty as she was.

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2022 8:09 PM

R23 Nothing beats the days of live television when Helen was a guest on talk shows. My mother still remembers when Helen Lawson was on the Dick Cavett show and she let it slip how one night she and Ruth Gordon peed on Katharine Hepburn's doorstep in front of her house in Turtle Bay. Garbo was out for one of her walks and said to Ruth and Helen, "I don't vant to be involved. I vant to be alone."

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2022 8:25 PM

Something offensive and mean spirited being said on the Joan Rivers show? That’s the first I’ve ever heard of this.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]Millennials, on the other hand, who can NEVER be wrong about anything, have coined this "the Mandela Effect" and propose alternative timelines and universes rather than admitting they made a mistake.

My favourite of these is the claim that New Zealand has moved from the western side of Australia (easily accessible by ferry!!) to the eastern. This is hilarious, and gets even more so when the people claiming it get so irate when they were told they were just mistaken. "I was TOP of my geography class! I used to look at atlases every NIGHT!"

It couldn't be that they just got something mistaken, no, it has to involve alternate timelines and a vast conspiracy by "them" to hide something from us.

Suffice to say, no Australians or Kiwis ever think this, they're all... Americans.

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2022 8:49 PM

Memory is FUCKED UP. This has been proven in studies. Also, I have very clear memory of watching Shania Twain videos in this certain bar. However, it couldn’t have happened because I haven’t been in that bar since 1988, and Shania didn’t get famous until the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2022 9:13 PM

R25 I doubt anyone posting about a decades old joan Rivers clip is a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2022 9:16 PM

Yes OP I remember this as well! She was the fat black older “entertainment” correspondent who would make the rounds on Geraldo and other talk show panels. Joan didn’t take shit and was always a friend of gay and straight people, she didn’t discriminate! I loved her chat show and the bitch deserved to be cancelled but you could say gay slurs just couldn’t call her an ugly N***** apparently that’s wrong

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2022 9:22 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2022 11:32 PM

That time Joan gave out Victoria Principal's phone number on air was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2022 11:48 PM

Well, she did promote that Michelle Obama is a tranny.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2022 11:52 PM

My friend Khaki on ANTM. Those episodes are GONE!

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2022 11:58 PM

OP, are you thinking of Flo Anthony?

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2022 11:59 PM

I believe lots of media do their own censoring.

They censor stories about suicides to avoid 'copycat suiciders'. And they censor stories which don't fit their agenda. The news radio program reported on a S––––––e asylum-seeker raping a schoolboy in a suburban toilet block in the 3pm news around ten years ago. It did not appear in the evening news or indeed any other media.

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2022 12:02 AM

Remember when Ambassador Stevens was killed ? I know for a fact I saw a pic of him bent over a wall with his pants down and some guys dick hanging out of his pants . I even screen shot it and sent it to a friend. He remembers seeing it too. But its nowhere to be found. They raped that man and nobody will admit it. Just like several American pow's have been raped by their captors,but the govt wont ever admit it.

by Anonymousreply 54August 11, 2022 12:23 AM

Some organizations have top tier PR/informational control. The Leighton Meister footjob story was pretty well handled. Also this hockey player who sent a snapchat of him sticking a dildo up his ass, the video was on tumblr but then poof, scrubbed (he was on the Blackhawks at the time, they are very good at that stuff).

by Anonymousreply 55August 11, 2022 12:35 AM

R25 is an old Trumper who needs to blame everything he doesn't like on "millennials"

Typical

by Anonymousreply 56August 11, 2022 12:38 AM

There was an actor named Brian Benben who appeared on Letterman in the late 1990s to promote his new show. He said something that got the interview off on the wrong foot and Mean Dave emerged. I've never seen a host torture a guest like that on air. Benben kept trying to get the interview on track, and Letterman could have helped him out at any time or just cut the interview short, but he just didn't. It was spectacularly uncomfortable television and I can't find the clip anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2022 12:38 AM

I remember seeing Mimi Rogers on a very-late-night talk show (maybe Tom Snyder?) where she dished snarkily about her marriage to Tom Cruise. She chuckled when asked if the marriage was real and kind of indicated that it had not been consummated.

This would have taken place been between 1993-1997. She did appear on Letterman, Conan and Leno during this time period, but this interview was more in-depth and intimate and not the usual "plug the latest movie" interview. I can't find it on her IMDB entry.

Maybe it was just a very realistic dream.

by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote]Well, she did promote that Michelle Obama is a tranny.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2022 1:09 AM

I’ve looked for magazine articles I read in the past and they’re gone.

Most suspiciously missing are many articles from rock and roll magazines in 60s and 70s. One particular rock star who got in trouble with the law has had most of his old interviews scrubbed from the net.

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2022 1:23 AM

Some of those rock magazines gave graphic descriptions of what rock groups did with groupies. At the time, young men - including the young men writing for rock magazines - thought it was cool & edgy that rock stars were having sex with 14 and 15 year old “wild” girls. Most of those girls were messed up kids who were throwaways and/or who’d been molested by family members from a young age.

by Anonymousreply 61August 11, 2022 1:28 AM

[Quote] The Leighton Meister footjob story was pretty well handled.

????

by Anonymousreply 62August 11, 2022 1:51 AM

R49 I remember when Joan referred to Victoria Principal as "pointy face" to a guest.

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2022 2:03 AM

R53, this is just a minor example, but a crime occurred in my Manhattan neighborhood. Some doormen told me what happened: a woman stabbed a man. I saw the blood on the sidewalk and in the avenue. I saw the knife; later a squad car was parked above it so the knife wouldn’t be visible to passersby. I saw the discarded bandage wrappers on the curb where the EMTs had left them (litterbugs!).

There was NO mention of the stabbing anywhere in local news. I tuned in just to get more information. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2022 1:15 PM

I swear to God I remember seeing an episode of either American Bandstand or some MTV program in which Falco (RIP)interviewed "himself" dressed in Amadeus garb. I can't find any evidence of it on YouTube, which I suppose means "it never happened," but I know I saw this! It comes to me in waking dreams.

by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2022 1:23 PM

R47 thank you, I knew I saw this! To the other poster, I don’t think it was Flo Anthony. This woman, who might be named Robin, had a “church lady” look, wore blazers, had short hair, & had a semi-drawl when she talked. She didn’t have he,r own BET, but would host a little music segment for a few the end of the hour, like 1:55-2pm or so. I think she did make the rounds of the talk show circuits as a music correspondent, but she didn’t really know what she was talking about & was older & out of touch.

For sure it’s not Robin Powers though, I looked her up & I guess she posed for playboy. This chick was very churchy & repressed.

by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2022 4:54 PM

"The View" and when the Obama's visited the UK for their first time and met Betty... err, The Queen;

Barbara Walters was wondering what their conversation would be. Whoopi chimed in by saying she knows EXACTLY what the Queen said. She then did her imitation of an English accent and of Queen Elizabeth when the Obama's was presented;

(GASP!)

WHAT? Could it possibly be? Kneee-grows? The United States? Neee grows? A negro president? How... What... When...??? PHILIP, darling! COME!!! You must come see this! Negroes, representing the United States! Well, I thought I'd EVER see such a spectacular event in my lifetime!!!

COME IN, MY DARLINGS! COME IN!!! WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!

Joy laughed hysterically. Barbara Walters just looked at Whoopi with a wry smile and a "You know you shouldn't have done that" type look. It was VERY funny especially given Whoopi's delivery!

You can't find a trace of that clip now.

by Anonymousreply 67August 11, 2022 5:39 PM

I heard that a girl named Beanie was the lead in a Broadway production in the summer of 2022. No evidence of it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 68August 11, 2022 5:42 PM

You do know that the internet only contains a tiny fraction of the media that’s ever been produced and most of that is porn.

by Anonymousreply 69August 11, 2022 5:45 PM

R66, read r10 and r11!

by Anonymousreply 70August 11, 2022 5:47 PM

That Babawawa diverticulitis skit on SNL. Simply vanished!

by Anonymousreply 71August 11, 2022 5:47 PM

The SNL episode hosted by Frank Zappa. He hated the skits and the drug use going on backstage, so he sabotaged the episode with a terrible performance. There are bits and pieces copied from old VHS tapes, but the episode in its entirety has been scrubbed.

by Anonymousreply 72August 11, 2022 5:48 PM

^Um, here's what seems to be a lot of it on FaceBook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 11, 2022 5:52 PM

I remember that made the entertainment news, r57. Benben was widely disliked for some reason, he'd been lauded for "Dream On" but then eviscerated for "Radioland Murders," and was kind of a punchline for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2022 5:57 PM

R73 Zappa’s musical performances were fine, and clips are online. However, his performance in the skits was embarrassing, so as far as I know, the entire episode is unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2022 5:59 PM

^ So you watched the entire link to see if it was just music versus skits? Looked like the last portion of it was the skits from when he hosted.

by Anonymousreply 76August 11, 2022 6:09 PM

Can't find Sandra Bernhard on The View when Sandra and Elisabeth Hasslebeck got into a catfight about Laura Bush.

“I walked into the perfect storm. Star Jones knew she was getting fired, so she had her bone to pick. Elisabeth Hasselbeck was ramping up to become the right-wing spokesperson on the show: She thought it was the perfect opportunity for her to flex her political muscle. And without Meredith Viera — who was the only voice of reason — it was, like, these chicks have gone fucking postal. But you know, it was perfect. I just laid back and watched the whole thing unfold without getting too involved.”

Bernhard did try to defend herself — by mentioning that Laura Bush says nothing when her husband slashes education budgets.

But no one could hear the guest because Hasselbeck and Jones talked over Bernhard.

“Well, that’s the problem. These chicks don’t shut up. They’re the worst possible example of why women shouldn’t be in power positions — because nobody listens. They’re like these harpy bitches, which has become second-nature to that show.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2022 6:25 PM

I have a memory of James Caan commenting about Scott's arrest for that fight at the Firehouse, in a way that basically said "if he didn't want to be outed, he shouldn't have made a scene there." I've been unable to find any reference to it on the internet. Even reports of the incident itself were hard to find at one point, though it seems to have resurfaced in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2022 7:02 PM

There used to be video laying on his back performing on stage with Creed because he was too high to stand up.

by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2022 7:26 PM

There was a story about a guy being caught on S. Speelb3rg's estate carrying a briefcase of bondage and torture equipment. Remember that?

by Anonymousreply 80August 11, 2022 8:46 PM

R80, I remember that!!!

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2022 1:29 AM

There's still a little bit about Spielberg's stalker out there, but you're right, not much. There were a lot of stories out there at the time that were basically conspiracy theories, such as Spielberg had been paying the guy for rough sex. It is true that he was kept in solitary confinement for a long time and was never allowed to talk to the press, which was clamoring to interview him.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2022 1:37 AM

Joe Scarborough will be ALL OVER this come tomorrow morning! But, every single reporter with the decency of a mustard seed should be in EVERY Republican face with a microphone asking questions and what is their opinions on these latest developments!

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2022 1:42 AM

Wrong thread, r85?

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2022 1:43 AM

Where is Rachel Maddow when you need her?

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2022 1:44 AM

R84 = Miss Cleo

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2022 1:46 AM

OOPS! It sure is, R84!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention and correcting me! Many thanks!!!

by Anonymousreply 87August 12, 2022 1:46 AM

I swear that I read somewhere on the internet that Sia was pregnant. This was before 'Chandelier' and she was not as well known. I saw a video of her performing where she could be pregnant, but there's nothing on her wikipedia page and she's never mentioned it afaik.

by Anonymousreply 88August 12, 2022 2:09 AM

Johnny Carson often made gay jokes about Wayne Newton but it looks like Wayne and his “associates” made sure that the offending jokes were edited out of the Tonight Show tapes, and I’d be surprised to find any of these clips on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2022 2:36 AM

The way I heard that story was that Wayne and a group of "associates" paid a surprise visit to Carson and let him know in no uncertain terms that if the slurs didn't stop, they would stop them one way or another. I've heard different versions. In some, they just made their intention clear and in others, they actually roughed him up.

by Anonymousreply 90August 12, 2022 2:56 AM

R77 I’m a big Sandra fan, I remember seeing her fight w/Elisabeth on the View. Not sure if it’s that same ep, but I remember she referred First Lady Laura Bush as the First Robot, & said she seems heavily medicated,which sent Elisabeth into a tizzy.

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2022 4:19 AM

There are things I vividly remember, too OP, but can’t find anywhere. It’s nothing outrageous, but, for instance, I remember a quote from Mario Cuomo when he was still governor and talking about Chris and he said “My son Chris is an Adonis.” Then there was also an SNL episode where Eddie Murphy was a game show contestant asked to name “three Mickeys” and he said “Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mantle…and Mickey Way.” Sandra Bernhard very briefly had an HBO show called “Sandra After Dark.” She was talking with a guest and couldn’t remember Oprah Winfrey’s name and referred to her as “The black hostess.”

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2022 4:41 AM

If there was Prince music playing in the clip, Prince would've had it scrubbed from the internet when he was alive. There was literally no unofficial Prince music (or official?) prince music when he was alive. Even if it was just playing in the background for a second. Every video on youtube of Prince came out after he died many are the day of.

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2022 4:53 AM

After Russell Tovey gave his “Tap Dancing Fairy” speech, he backtracked and claimed that his parents have always been loving and supporting. It was while interviewing for The Pass, I think. It was discussed here on DataLounge and there were links but I can’t seem to find them now.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2022 4:59 AM

R91, was that the episode where she started saying to Elisabeth "Oh, honey..." and Elisabeth started screeching: "Don't 'honey' ME!" Hahaha! I remember seeing this around too, and also the clip where Sandra made a joke about Mariah Carey being black and Star Jones getting outraged with her.

Speaking of The View, one thing that always sticks in my mind that has nearly been cleared from online is after they were talking about racial slurs and Elisabeth started crying because she said no one should be allowed to say "nigger" and Whoopi and Sherri told her in no uncertain terms that they were allowed to say it if they wanted. And when Elisabeth couldn't argue back anymore, she started bawling her eyes out.

Then later that night (the video that no longer exists, I think), Joy was filling in for Larry King on The Larry King Show and she had Fran Drescher and another woman on to talk about the controversy. Fran started guffawing at Elisabeth crying, saying: "What’s with the crying? Is that how she wins battles with her husband?" An ad break later and lo and behold, Elisabeth has rung in the show: "I was busy watching Hannity & Colmes and wanted to pop in and see you Joy. And I had to express my disappointment in Fran. You speak about women’s rights and you certainly wasted no time in cutting another woman down". You know, playing the victim because Fran called her out.

Fran's expression the whole time was hilarious, like: "who the fuck is this bitch?" Side-eyeing Joy (who, weirdly, was defending Elisabeth and telling Fran to be quiet and let her speak) and looking bemused. "Elisabeth, you had two black people on the panel who were telling you how they felt and you were talking over them," Fran tried to tell her, but Elisabeth kept ranting and ranting, until Fran just said, very insincerely and pointedly: "I'm sorry [italic]if you were offended[/italic]."

Later on there were articles written about the dust-up, titled: "Even the Nanny hates Elisabeth Hasselbeck" which made me laugh so much.

Now you can't find the clip anywhere, but I remember it was very amusing. I don't know if others saw it or not. There's at least enough evidence below that it happened, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2022 7:21 AM

God love you gays who are stuck in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2022 7:23 AM

R95 I remember that ep when Elisabeth was crying over not being allowed to say the N word. I specifically recall she was aghast at having to teach her children it’s not an ok word for them to say.

When she came on the show last week, I felt a bit of nostalgia—at least she wasn’t as nasty as Meghan. But after about 2 mins of listening to her, i was over her.

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2022 7:30 AM

[quote]I specifically recall she was aghast at having to teach her children it’s not an ok word for them to say.

That's right! Haha, god she was a pill. I mean, having a discussion of the matter could've been interesting, but she was so strident and then resorted to tears when she knew she wasn't able to "win" the argument.

[quote]But after about 2 mins of listening to her, i was over her.

I can imagine. She creeps me out, like so many of these people who bang on about god all the time.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2022 7:34 AM

I know that Totie Fields took off her leg and tossed it across the room at Sardi’s. Summer of ‘73. Or was it the fall?

by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote] God love you gays who are stuck in the 90s

Some of us are still in the 30s. We're still inexplicably lusting over Joel McCrea, John Lund and John Payne whom normal people would consider ineffably boring.

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2022 12:16 AM

A short indie film called 'Deep End' allegedly included a graphic real gay sex scene with Dan Cortese. A VHS copy was up for bid on eBay. I actually bid up to $300, but was outbid. Never saw word of it again, except here. Shoulda screencapped the eBay page, despite no images from the film.

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2022 12:27 AM

Using the DuckDuckGo browser, I found info on Ambassador Stevens rape and genital mutilation.

by Anonymousreply 102August 13, 2022 12:35 AM

Thanks R102 ! I still didnt see the picture I remember,but at least i wasnt misremembering he had been raped.That chaplain also said all 4 of them were treated the same way.

by Anonymousreply 103August 13, 2022 2:02 AM

In the months before his AIDS diagnosis, there was a lot of fuss about Magic Johnson and his best friend Isiah Thomas — they would kiss on the lips on the court when one of them made a good play.

I swear there was an interview where Magic said "We're all a little bisexual" or something of the kind. Then the AIDS diagnosis was revealed and I never could find it again.

by Anonymousreply 104August 13, 2022 3:05 AM

[Quote] Remember when Ambassador Stevens was killed ?

I do recall his dead body being taken down the street with his pants undone.

He was gay and either his dead body was raped or he was raped and then killed.

by Anonymousreply 105August 13, 2022 3:13 AM

How does the internet get scrubbed exactly?

Do lawyers threaten?

by Anonymousreply 106August 13, 2022 3:14 AM

Lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 107August 13, 2022 3:35 AM

R102 Link? I have heard about this but never saw a single frame. Please send what you have found.

by Anonymousreply 108August 13, 2022 4:31 AM

The sexual abuse of gay Ambassador Stevens was much whispered about at the time, and I believe it, but you'd be hard pressed to find references to it now. There indeed used to be images on a google search but they are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 109August 13, 2022 4:36 AM

Alright, here's a weird one. Has anyone else noticed that a lot of songs on Youtube are sped up? I grew up in dance, and also spent my teen-aged years around drag queens who knew their shit. I know my beats per second/minute. I know most of the songs on YouTube are off. I am very upset about this.

by Anonymousreply 110August 13, 2022 9:36 AM

Sadly that basketball diaries interview will never see the light of day. R15

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2022 10:15 AM

[quote]To this day I remember how she drawled out the name Caaaaaaat.

I have a message for the director of Batman 2 ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2022 10:22 AM

For those of you seeking info on Ambassador Stevens’ rape, I am unable to link, but use DuckDuckGo browser-Google censors. I am moving away from Google for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2022 4:59 PM

I managed to link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2022 5:03 PM

R114, yes, I saw the picture in that link and other pics of Stevens being carried through the streets with his pants of off.

They were posted on conservative new websites by people commenting on the attack. They were talking mainly about how could Obama have placed a gay man as ambassador in a Muslim country. And then in morphed into the whole Benghazi “scandal,” drummed up to attack Hillary as she sought the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 115August 14, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] how could Obama have placed a gay man as ambassador in a Muslim country?

It was naivety. Or perhaps plain stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 116August 14, 2022 11:26 PM

I wrote about this before and everyone piled on, but I know it's true: the first time GWTW was broadcast on TV it was a big deal (this was back in the day we had 6 UHF channels). In the scene where Scarlett is back at Tara and they're all starving, she asks the indoor slaves to help her outside with some kind of farm labor and one of them pipes-up, "But we's house niggas...". We all glanced at each other like 'whaaa?'.

Every time I've seen it since, the character no longer says the N-word.

by Anonymousreply 117August 14, 2022 11:41 PM

I watched Nelson Mandela's first funeral with my collection of Berenstein Bears books.

by Anonymousreply 118August 14, 2022 11:54 PM

[quote]How does the internet get scrubbed exactly?

With a can of Old Dutch Cleanser by a small blonde child, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2022 12:11 AM

^ In St Olaf we used Bon Ami!

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2022 12:37 AM

The n-word and all variants of it were never, ever in the film of GWTW. Also eliminated were any direct references to the KKK, although it was pretty obvious to contemporary audiences what the men's political meeting was.

The line "But we's house ------".... was in the novel. In fact the n-word is used often in the novel but the context reflects pretty accurately how the word was used historically.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2022 4:41 AM

[quote]The n-word and all variants of it were never, ever in the film of GWTW.

That's interesting because for some reason I remember that scene too, R117.

Which also reminds me...

"The Little Rascals"--The boys play hooky from church to go fishing but are scared to their living wits because they have stumbled upon some strange ritual that seems to have affected people in a strange and scary way... The boys had never seen anything like this before. It was a group of religious Black folk baptizing others in the river/lake. Well... think Pentecostal... and you know you have individuals jumping, shouting, and running all through the woods! It was a funny episode. The rumor/fact is Bill Cosby bought the whole series of the "Little Rascals" to specifically take that particular episode out of circulation.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2022 9:36 AM

I remember Huckleberry Finn bathing in a wooden barrel.

He sat on the edge displaying his pubescent buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2022 10:01 AM

The streaker on Jenny Jones - or was it Sally Jessy Raphael? One of those two.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2022 10:25 AM

R122 I adored Little Rascals and remember that scene vividly.

by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2022 10:49 AM

Of course some thing were not scrubbed, they were just pre-internet. One thing I have been looking for, but have never been able to find is the old Nickelodeon ad with the copy, "My mother makes more money than her father ever did, but she still need me to program the VCR."

Again, probably not exactly scrubbing, but I have found that doing an internet search is *much* more difficult now. It doesn't matter which search engine I use, I get far fewer results than I did two years ago. The first page will all be ads. Most results will not be relevant.

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2022 10:50 AM

R126 right you are. I can imagine many reasons why we can't find it all anymore. But I'm too lazy to elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2022 10:53 AM

Scrubbed or nobody ever made a digital copy of something that was broadcasted in non-digital form and uploaded somewhere on the internet?

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2022 8:21 PM

I loved the Pointer Sisters’s album Hot Together, & when I first heard Taste, I thought wow, they should use that in a commercial.

Fast forward a year or two, & I SWEAR during Saturday AM cartoons, a McDonalds commercial pops up with them singing this song. They were dressed in the outrageous getup from that period & were doing this synchronized dance routine.

I remember being disappointed that they were hawking McD’s, & was a bit surprised it was targeting kids, especially given the song’s innuendo (C’mon baby, you know you want me to TASTE it).

Now I see they did a Diet Coke commercial but no mention anywhere of McD’s.

by Anonymousreply 129August 16, 2022 4:04 AM

R100 Leave your hands off Buster Crabbe!

by Anonymousreply 130August 16, 2022 12:40 PM

I remember years ago seeing a video on YouTube of Linda Blair and Joanie "Chyna" Laurer together on a Spanish talk show for some reason. At first Linda laughed and said she didn't know much Spanish but then started responding to the host's questions in what sounded like pretty good Spanish to me. Chyna had a surprised look on her face when Linda started speaking it and then sat there awkwardly the rest of the interview listening to the 2 of them.

I'd like to see the interview again but I can't find any record of it anywhere. It makes me think I was crazy and imagined the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 131August 16, 2022 1:23 PM

With Anne Heche's death, I've been trying to find her full interview with Barbara Walters. Specifically the part where she starts speaking to her in her alien Jesus language. But the only copy I was able to find was an attempt at humor where the audio of Anne speaking was replaced with a loud fart noise.

by Anonymousreply 132August 16, 2022 1:30 PM

That used to run on the PBS reruns of "Little Rascals" back in the early 1980s, r122. I think it may have been on a show called "Matinee at the Bijou."

Part of it's here, though it's edited I believe. Some of the footage was from an old Movietone reel of a "Negro Baptism" which is on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 16, 2022 1:38 PM

Apparently the version I saw as a kid of the episode mentioned in r133 was edited already. It was shown in full on MeTV recently so there should be a copy out there somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 16, 2022 1:40 PM

I KNOW that Barbara Bush had an enormous begin tumor removed from her abdomen back before George was President. I have looked and looked and find no mention of it... This thing was close to 90 pounds, and amazingly no one really noticed...

by Anonymousreply 135August 16, 2022 1:42 PM

I didn't weigh THAT much at birth, r135!

by Anonymousreply 136August 16, 2022 1:44 PM

Okay, let's see how good some of you are--especially given my description;

This was a commercial that ran in the late 60's (1967-1969) I am 90% sure it was by the United Negro College Fund. It ran constantly during that time. The organization was already using the tag, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." But, that's not what I've been searching for so long now for. The commercial was done in black & white and featured a little black boy in an urban area. BUT, it is the song and artist that was the background for the commercial that I have been searching for. What lyrics I can remember (which are probably wrong but as near as I can remember) were;

"Somewhere I'm wondering....

Which way to go...

So much confusion....

In this world.... _____

I've been suffering and ____, Oh-Oh-Lawd..."

Anyway, do anyone else remember the commercial and better yet the song and the artist?

by Anonymousreply 137August 16, 2022 2:55 PM

HA! Never mind!!! This only tells me that other people have had this same question over the many decades! While I DID NOT find the commercial I have found the song and the artist!!! And, it makes perfect sense that she would have been the one to have been the background music for the advertisement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 16, 2022 3:11 PM

r54 where are you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2022 5:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!