Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who gives a fuck if a new thread repeats a thread posted months ago?

New opinions are welcome or just post your previous opinion if you want. Who follows old threads except the OP?

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2022 1:58 PM

I think there’s already a thread on this.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2022 3:43 AM

This should have been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2022 3:49 AM

I cannot adequately express just how much worse than Hitler OP is.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2022 3:53 AM

Why do we need 867,324,910 threads on this?

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2022 4:18 AM

R4 Could you give us two examples?

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2022 5:02 AM

What, can’t use the search option?

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2022 5:07 AM

I only care about current opinions, not what was posted a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2022 12:58 PM

People scream slurs and insults at each other all the time, write and no one comments. If you "you just posted about this 3 weeks ago, OP, why are you doing it again?" then you're yelled at for being rude and awful and the worst humanity has to offer.

I don't understand why a comment like that would even bother you. Surely if the chronic topic repeater is welcome, so are the people who say that they don't care for the constant repetition of topics.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2022 1:05 PM

There was a DLer who was posting old threads from 2015. I don't know if Muriel finally blocked him or if he finally died of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2022 1:15 PM

That's Defacto. Threads are automatically closed after a year now, because of the bumping problem.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2022 1:27 PM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2022 1:30 PM

R10 I didn't know that, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote]There was a DLer who was posting old threads from 2015. I don't know if Muriel finally blocked him or if he finally died of boredom.

It still comes back tirelessly under its 999 sock puppet accounts.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2022 1:38 PM

Was that GOP/anti-democracy troll R10 mentions bumping the 2015 threads in order to get random Trump-being-an-asshole;here-are-ALL-the-receipts posts and threads closed permanently?

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2022 2:09 PM

Was that GOP/anti-democracy troll R10 mentions bumping the 2015 threads in order to get random Trump-being-an-asshole;here-are-ALL-the-receipts posts and threads closed permanently?

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2022 2:09 PM

Sorry, that's me ^^. Sorry for double post and shit formatting.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2022 2:11 PM

Sorry, that's me ^^. Sorry for double post and shit formatting.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2022 2:12 PM

It's a bit inconsiderate to post a thread of a topic that might have been addressed in the recent past (or even in a still active thread.)

Yes, the DL search function can fall short, but it's usually a matter of choosing search terms broad enough to get results and narrow enough to get the desired results. A simple search usually works very well with DL or Google: in the first case "Janet Jackson" and in the second "Janet Jackson datalounge com" will show that, indeed there are past threads, many past threads, some initiated within the last 5 days.

It's not reasonable to expect perfection, but a few seconds of searching can reduce obvious duplication or overlap. Sometimes enough time has passed to ignore a past related thread that took another turn or got poor traction possibility because of a vague thread title.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2022 2:28 PM

I don't think Defacto was bumping to get the threads deleted. I believe they were doing it to push threads they didn't like down, and pushing other, older threads to the top of the list. They were also simply trying to disrupt the board.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2022 2:31 PM

I won't touch an overloaded thread. Tired and boring.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2022 2:59 PM

We bought a zoo!

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2022 4:59 PM

R20 I agree. Threads usually devolve into pissing matches and if they haven't recovered back to topic by post 100, it's over.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2022 4:35 AM

Just ignore the thread you don't like. I don't care if it's a duplicate either because anything more than 50 replies is not a thread i go into.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2022 6:12 AM

Literal Violence, OP!

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2022 6:19 AM

If only it was months ago.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2022 6:21 AM

DL Queens ALWAYS have to have something to clutch about. Most of the threads are stupid anyway, it causes no harm to scroll past what you're not interested in.

It's not like you have phone-notifications pinging whenever there is a repeat or duplicate thread posted, which of course would be super annoying.

Or maybe some of you do. In which case, get help.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2022 6:25 AM

[quote]anything more than 50 replies is not a thread i go into.

R23 I agree. By the time a thread hits 50 replies, it's usually just two queens bitching at each other and the topic has lost all meaning.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 6:21 AM

This thread should have been a poll with Vivian Vance as an option.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 6:25 AM

Ich nicht.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 6:27 AM

I post without doing a search. So yeah they probably repeat but since I also rarely go back to threads I start I can't be sure.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 6:27 AM

This is obviously a Boris thread from one of our Russian trolls trying to spread dissent in the U.S. in order to disrupt the 2024 election.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 6:31 AM

what's a thread?

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2022 10:33 AM

Who am I? Where am I? What am I?

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2022 11:23 AM

If it's a news topic ("X Is Dead to Me"), search to see if there's already a thread.

If it's an ongoing news topic, the Ukraine, or an investigation related to Trump, search to see if there's already a thread which you can contribute to or resurrect if it's gone quiet lately... If you are adding a small detail to an existing story, put it in an existing thread.. Only if there is some earth-shattering new revelation or your angle on the familiar news story is truly unique, go ahead and start a new thread.

If it's a perennial topic like American DLers wanting to jump countries, searching for past threads can be difficult, so start a new one if nothing fitting turns up easily -- and be a good sport and give it a decent or memorable title to stand out from similar threads of old.

If it's a Tasteful Friends posting on a house that was discussed a week or a year ago, do a search rather than attempt to duplicate an old discussion. And title your thread so it can be found by search:

"Friends, what do we think of this place?" = Clickbait bad in every respect/unsearchable

"Tasteful friends: a very nautical Nantucket Colonial of 1763 for $17M" or "Tasteful friends: Paul Lynde's old LA bachelor digs for sale" = Good/searchable

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2022 11:47 AM

LINK OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN, OP

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2022 11:50 AM

[quote]If it's a news topic ("X Is Dead to Me"), search to see if there's already a thread.

This is the one that pisses me off the most. Especially when it’s like 12 hours later. When we have 18 posts because everyone wanted to post that so-and-so died, it’s annoying because if you’re interested in what people have to say about it, you have to follow those threads.

How hard is it to do a search for the celebrity’s name?

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2022 1:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!