Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Some predict Tom Cruise will win an Oscar for Top Gun: Maverick

Do you think they would give it to him as a “thank you” career Oscar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2022 3:45 AM

He deserves nothing but a slap.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2022 4:28 PM

I think Tom is a nut but I kinda admire that he hasn't chased Oscar-bait since Magnolia in 1999. He seems happy to stay in his lane with all those silly popcorn movies.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2022 4:29 PM

He should have won for Born on the 4th of July. Probably his best performance, behind Lestat.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2022 4:29 PM

Nah R3 Daniel Day was still the most deserving of 89, but it is surprising they didn't give it to Tom, who was a much bigger star

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2022 4:30 PM

I don’t think he took the role because he thought it would get him an Oscar r2. The director wanted him for the role. Tom was making different kinds of movies in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2022 4:30 PM

I thought he was BRILLIANT in Magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2022 4:31 PM

For acting? No

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2022 4:31 PM

He's a great actor, maybe he should pick a dramatic role for the next gig.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2022 4:32 PM

I’ll have to watch My Left Foot again. But I think it would be sad to win for this as opposed to Born, as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2022 4:32 PM

Yeah, Born on the Fourth of July was his only truly Oscar-worthy performance. Magnolia was wasn't all that much different from his couch jumping personna.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2022 4:33 PM

The couch jumping persona came after Magnolia

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2022 4:35 PM

Anyone remember how Michael Caine won BSA for THE CIDER HOUSE RULES in 2000 over Tom for Magnolia, Hayley Osment in The Sixth Sense, Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile and Jude Law (who got his ass and cock out) in The Talented Mr Ripley..?

Seems bonkers

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2022 4:36 PM

I wish he would go the character actor route, in both dramas and comedies, he could do some interesting work.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2022 4:36 PM

Who do I have to suck to get an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2022 4:37 PM

Tom’s performance in Born on the Fourth of July was one of the best film performances I’ve ever seen and I say that as someone who was never a big Tom Cruise fan. An Oscar for this Top Gun sequel? Chile, please! I hate the first one and have no plans to see this sequel but I seriously doubt he’s giving an Oscar caliber performance.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2022 4:38 PM

I mean Leonardo DiCeon for that Survivor type movie, I can see this happening. The Oscars have changed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2022 4:39 PM

I mean if Leo *won

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2022 4:39 PM

I’ve not seen Maverick yet, but the only movie in which he seemed to be giving a fully fleshed out performance (and not chewing the scenery like Born on the Fourth of July) was Jerry McGuire.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2022 4:40 PM

[quote]I thought he was BRILLIANT in Magnolia.

His over-acting was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2022 4:46 PM

I was wrong, I think that awful Lions For Lambs movie with M and Redford was his last attempt at an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2022 4:59 PM

yeah, I thought he was really good in born on the 4th of July. I actually cried.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2022 5:01 PM

R19 the character was over the top…. How else was he supposed to play him? Subtle? Wouldn’t have worked.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2022 5:01 PM

Not every time that an actor accepts a drama is it for “Oscar bait”. I think that’s why some of them eventually stop taking those roles. People like you think they’re just doing it for an Oscar and not because it was challenging or a good script

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2022 5:02 PM

ROFL they hire anybody to write articles at Vanity Fair now

It’s just July. After Toronto, Venice, Telluride and NYFF, there will be fifteen performances ahead of him.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2022 5:07 PM

Perhaps Glenn will finally win one under the male category.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2022 5:11 PM

He got a lot of butts in seats after people had pretty much stopped going to theaters, didn’t he? I don’t know what the stats are, but I suspect more people have seen his movie in a theater than any other since COVID. If that’s true, it’s not too big of a thank you.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2022 5:23 PM

R26 agreed. The only movie that did more is Spider-Man, and those stars all got bonus checks.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2022 5:39 PM

If he would win an Oscar for it, I imagine most people would chalk it up as either (a) a thank you from the industry for bringing people back into the theater or (b) a recognition of his entire career, given that the man has been around for 40 years and still going strong.

So frankly, I too agree with R26.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2022 6:34 PM

Yeah but it's a dumb (if enjoyable) popcorn movie and Tom is basically playing himself. I'd like to see him take on a legit dramatic or unusual role and actually *earn* an Oscar -- he still has it in him, and H'wood would certainly be amenable.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2022 7:28 PM

Why would they give the #2 in Scientology an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2022 7:39 PM

Yes, an Oscar should be earned. I hate it when they give Oscars out for career recognition or as consolation for not winning one for a previous better performance. Perfect example of that is Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman. Denzel Washington's performance in Malcom X was far more deserving. Acting Oscars should be given out for a specific performance PERIOD!

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2022 7:40 PM

No. This is just PR to create Oscar buzz. A big notable name thrown into Oscar talk only for them to get snubbed when the nominations come out. Last year it was Gaga, the year before it was J. Lo, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2022 7:45 PM

GaGa shouldn’t have even been considered

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2022 7:51 PM

Wouldn't that be great - Tom Cruise wins for Top Gun: Maverick and Jamie Lee Curtis wins for Halloween Ends!

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2022 8:06 PM

Hollywood doesn't honor summer blockbusters for acting, special effects/sound maybe. To boot, honoring a white man is not on their agenda right now.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2022 8:07 PM

r35, it was certainly on their agenda when just two years ago Anthony Hopkins won over the more deserving Chadwick Boseman. Don't start that white privilege passive aggressive supremacist minded bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2022 8:15 PM

Tammy does not deserve an Oscar. Terrible actress. Next.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2022 9:36 PM

R37, you're blind. you know nothing!

If J. Law can win an oscar or two, Tom should definitely win one.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2022 10:07 PM

Hollywood don't do cheap sentiment, they don't award Oscars 'cause of box office and years of service. The Oscar ain't some watch you get at your retirement party.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2022 10:13 PM

John Wayne was 61 when he got his Best Actor Oscar for "True Grit" . Tom is 60. John W. got a "reward" Oscar for a career, so I supposed Tom the cruiser could, also.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2022 10:17 PM

Who’s some? I didn’t see him on goldderbys prediction list

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2022 11:12 PM

???hmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2022 11:15 PM

funny how these top gun movies come out when they have a devil of a time recruiting for the armed forces. coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2022 11:42 PM

tom deserved an oSCAR for vanilla sky!

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2022 11:43 PM

Don’t think Cruise deserves an Oscar but the shitty Oscars deserve Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2022 11:44 PM

The Academy just gave a “recognition” Oscar this year to thank Will Smith for his star service, and look what happened.

It’s not going to happen again for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2022 11:48 PM

Scientologist don’t need Oscar’s

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2022 7:47 AM

Oscar's what?

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2022 7:52 AM

[Quote]Some predict...

It looks like the Scientologists have found The DL.

Are you ready for your 'personality' test?

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2022 7:56 AM

[quote]Anyone remember how Michael Caine won BSA for THE CIDER HOUSE RULES in 2000 over Tom for Magnolia, Hayley Osment in The Sixth Sense, Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile and Jude Law (who got his ass and cock out) in The Talented Mr Ripley..? Seems bonkers

Strong field. They gave it to the guy who already had a Best Supporting Actor Oscar...but also had the Weinsteins at the peak of their powers campaigning for his film. It also won Adapted Screenplay, for John Irving.

I really did like Caine's performance. The accent was iffy, but he was otherwise a Larch right off the page, and he played well off Maguire and the other orphanage people. I always remember that scene in which Tobey's going off with Paul Rudd and Charlize, and Caine hands him the x-ray and says a lot with his eyes and a few words. "It's your heart. You ought to take it with you." Stiff upper lip.

Duncan was my least favorite. He met the role's requirements, but I'm not sure how much of an acting challenge it was; the material was so broad. Honestly, any of the other four would have had me thinking, "Solid choice." And there's no one in Hollywood I dislike more than Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2022 9:48 AM

ELVIS will win everything!

Nobody is interested in tired and ancient Tammy's MIC propaganda bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2022 9:55 AM

Particularly because he loved, loved being around Blacks, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2022 10:18 AM

So the reason Tom has never been a serious contender for an Oscar is because of Scientology and/or because he loves to do those cheesy macho movies thus lowering his credibility as a serious actor? I never have fully understood what his Hollywood peers think of him.

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2022 10:26 AM

We find it hilarious that a five foot tall 60 year old fairy gets paid zillions to portray a macho!

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2022 10:31 AM

Get his ex wives to present Tom the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2022 11:17 AM

[quote]So the reason Tom has never been a serious contender for an Oscar is because of Scientology and/or because he loves to do those cheesy macho movies thus lowering his credibility as a serious actor? I never have fully understood what his Hollywood peers think of him.

His best shot was in the late '80s through late '90s. I think the sense at that time of his three nominations was that he had a lot of years ahead and he'd win someday, like another former glamour boy, DiCaprio, went on to do.

But Cruise entered the 21st century doubling down on what was most off-putting about him. He got bad press so many times, and Scientology was usually somewhere in the mix. The split with Nicole, the couch-jumping, the break with his long-time agent, the friction with Spielberg over on-set proselytizing, the tiffs with Matt Lauer and Brooke Shields, that manic CoS testimonial that leaked, the drama with Katie and Suri, the reports of girlfriends being auditioned for him. Plus, even when it's not directly about him, every exposé on Scientology mentions or shows him.

So, yeah, he's as polarizing a figure with the Academy as he is with the general public. He was passed over even with films for which he would have been a plausible nominee (e.g., Collateral). And there haven't been a ton of those. He's grown older, but his projects haven't really matured. He took more chances when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2022 11:19 AM

[quote] I wish he would go the character actor route,

The problem is: he has only one character to draw on - a crazy control freak.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2022 11:23 AM

He might have almost deserved one for Vanilla Sky..his best acting and when he looked his most beautiful. TG was dreck...but of course our country loves crap like that

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2022 11:38 AM

Why wouldn't Tom win an Oscar ???

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2022 11:43 AM

Tom deserves his place in a legion that includes such luminaries as : Paltrow G., Smith W. , Di Caprio L., Affleck 2.0, Whats-her-name-frog-face-who-beat-Huppert, Lawrence J-Law, and most of all Bullock,Sandra. He does. Sorry I can't remember the names of the other master thespians who have won lately, but I'm pretty sure even Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt have won, so...

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2022 11:48 AM

Looks like the Church of Scientology has an in with Vanity Fair. Absolute nonsense.

The success of TGM means it will get one of those 10 slots for Best Picture, but not win. It will also get some well-deserved tech noms (and likely win some).

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2022 11:55 AM

I hear OP in Trump’s voice: “You know, some people are saying…”

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2022 12:10 PM

Where's my Top Gun Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2022 12:11 PM

He should have won for Jerry Maguire.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2022 12:17 PM

[quote]Affleck 2.0

I don't think Cruise on his best day has been as good in a serious dramatic role as Casey Affleck was in the film for which he won. I'm trying to visualize Cruise playing that scene in the street with Michelle Williams (or with any actress, if the ages had to line up just so). He'd have been even less adequate than Matt Damon, who was one of the producers and was a possibility at one point.

That was one of the best recent Best Actor picks, although a personal controversy put a bit of a cloud over it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2022 12:18 PM

OK R65, I think you're very brave to try to visualize anyone in a scene with Michelle Williams. After seeing that woman in a turd called "my week with Marilyn" , I developped a serious allergic reaction to her . She litterally gives me emesis

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2022 12:49 PM

He was great in rain man too! he is an amazing actor

but i think there is a lack of good scripts. most of the movies they make now are just terrible

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2022 3:07 PM

He deserves something for bringing people back to movie theaters. I thought TG Maverick was a better movie that the schmaltz that won Best Picture last year.

It would be nice for the Oscars to nominate a movie that people actually went to see.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2022 9:14 PM

An Oscar for popcorn 🍿 movies would do more damage to the Academy Awards than “the slap“.

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2022 9:22 PM

He should’ve won for Jerry Maguire. Not because he was great, but should’ve been his “thank you” Oscar.

Tom Cruise has kept countless thousands of people in the film industry employed for decades. Geoffrey Rush? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2022 9:27 PM

shoulda, coulda, woulda

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2022 9:31 PM

He’s nuts but I like many of his movies. I didn’t like Maverick, though. It was ridiculous and the acting was atrocious. So hard no to an Oscar for it

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2022 9:34 PM

I’m tired of indie downers getting BP., Time to reward good popular films that bring audiences back. Plus extra credit for making an action movie without the horrible effects Marvel uses.

The film should definitely get a Best Picture nod. And maybe even give TC a best actor nomination.

by Anonymousreply 73July 30, 2022 9:34 PM

Hey Tammy,

You’ve been in the industry long enough to know what you need to do to secure an Oscar.

Yours sincerely,

by Anonymousreply 74July 30, 2022 9:38 PM

But, can he beat Fast & the Furious💰25💰

by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2022 9:40 PM

He’s deserved one before, but not for this.

Why hasn’t he gotten one? He was great in Magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2022 9:41 PM

R76 because they gave it to Michael Cain

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2022 9:42 PM

R75 Let’s start giving Oscars to the cars 🚗

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2022 9:43 PM

I forgot all about Born on the 4th of July.

He was fantastic in that. I also loved him in that comedy where he played an aging Hollywood producer.

I used to be a huge Cruise fan. Saw pretty much anything he was in. Then that whole Matt Lauer interview went down and I was done.

And it wasn’t as much about the Scientology as it was about him criticizing a woman suffering from PPD, for attempting to get better by taking prescribed medication from a licensed physician, which Tom is not.

Surely he could probably play one, but dude, don’t go on national television and give a woman shit for attempting to heal and save her own life.

Great actor, judgy dude.

by Anonymousreply 79July 30, 2022 9:52 PM

I don't think Tom Cruise gives a fuck about the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 80July 30, 2022 9:52 PM

And he shouldn’t, R80, because he is a fantastic actor, regardless of getting an award or not.

by Anonymousreply 81July 30, 2022 9:55 PM

I wouldn’t say all that r81. He’s had a few exceptionally great performances but at his core, he’s still that teenager sliding across the living room floor in his underwear while the parents are away.

by Anonymousreply 82July 30, 2022 10:48 PM

The baseness of the criminal mob known as $cientology should prevent Tammy from ever getting an undeserved (He's a terrible actor.) Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 83July 30, 2022 11:06 PM

[quote]I don't think Tom Cruise gives a fuck about the Oscars.

Any Hollywood actor who can convince you (or themself) of this is truly a mega talent worthy of every award!

by Anonymousreply 84July 30, 2022 11:41 PM

Nope. Austin Butler for "Elvis." No fewer than four Academy Award winners have praised him:

Denzel recommended Austin and his work ethic Denzel "had never encountered before" to Baz Luhrmann.

Brad Pitt called him "fantastic" as Elvis---this, in an interview about his OWN new movie.

Gary Oldman said Austin "embodied the King," that he "has an aura," and is "a miracle."

Tom Hanks has been effusive, in particular calling Austin's concert scenes "electrifying."

This will not be TC's time. Some day, a Lifetime Achievement Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 85July 31, 2022 12:16 AM

I thought he was better than Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.

by Anonymousreply 86July 31, 2022 12:37 AM

Both he and Nicole Kidman were robbed when they weren’t even nominated for Days of Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 87July 31, 2022 12:45 AM

He's not even going to be nominated. Or seriously considered. Not for this movie.

NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 88July 31, 2022 5:37 AM

I enjoyed rain man

by Anonymousreply 89July 31, 2022 5:41 AM

I like Cruise as an actor. I don't know about the constant action movies for the last 15 yrs but he definitely has had some good roles and a varied body of work throughout his career.

by Anonymousreply 90July 31, 2022 6:03 AM

They might bc they see this movie as pivotal towards getting people back into cinemas post Covid - it’s a way to reward that

by Anonymousreply 91July 31, 2022 6:06 AM

R87, I think you mean Far and Away.

by Anonymousreply 92July 31, 2022 2:17 PM

R90, Nobody is disputing your point, including me (r85). Indeed, I think Cruise has been criminally underappreciated by the Academy! Just not this year.

R91, That argues for rewarding/awarding the MOVIE. It will be up against, yes, "Elvis" for BP as well as Cinematography.

"Elvis" will win BA, Best Costume Design, and Cinematography, possibly Best Original Song for "The King and I" (Cee-Lo Green & Eminem). Baz will be nominated for BD, but maybe the quick-cutting will undermine him. Hanks will be nominated for BSA, but I think his negative reviews will preclude his winning.

But "TG:M" might just win Best Picture, considering its Box Office!

I don't see "Bullet Train" (Brad Pitt), "Amsterdam" (Christian Bale), "The Menu" (Ralph Fiennes), "Devotion" (Jonathan Majors), or "A Man Called Otto" (Tom Hanks) giving much competition for either BP or BA.

MAYBE the dark horse "Babylon," starring, again, Brad Pitt, because it's ABOUT movie-making. But it's not out until Christmas.

Here's another list of potentials for Best Actor:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 31, 2022 4:12 PM

A Golden Globe, maybe. An Oscar? No.

by Anonymousreply 94July 31, 2022 4:38 PM

GG is Butler’s.

by Anonymousreply 95July 31, 2022 4:50 PM

[quote]I used to be a huge Cruise fan. Saw pretty much anything he was in. Then that whole Matt Lauer interview went down and I was done. And it wasn’t as much about the Scientology as it was about him criticizing a woman suffering from PPD, for attempting to get better by taking prescribed medication from a licensed physician, which Tom is not.

But that was about the Scientology. There's almost always a link between Cruise's bizarre behavior and his "religion." Hard-line Scientologists consider psychiatrists (and those who prescribe psychiatric medications) guilty of crimes against humanity comparable to the Holocaust. They even have an exhibit devoted to the subject.

I remember Kirstie Alley vowing never to make a guest appearance on Frasier, no matter how many other ex-Cheers stars did so, because the show had psychiatrists as main characters and portrayed them affectionately. (One of the Frasier producers responded that that worked for them, as they never planned to ask her.)

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2022 5:06 AM

I finally got around to seeing Top Gun: Maverick last week and I freaking loved it. What a ride, and expertly done.

Tom was great in the "Tom Cruise" role of course. He could snare a nomination as the whole thing is such an entertaining and expertly crafted movie. You really see every dollar of the budget on the screen too.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2022 6:57 AM

Well, Tom and Co. might not be as nuts as we thought----

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2022 2:02 PM

Link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2022 2:03 PM

He's not a great actor but he's an outstanding action performer whose charisma would double if he weren't part of that Cult of Satan. His Mission Impossible movies have far surpassed the Bond movies in action. glamour and intrigue and that's probably owed to his ability as a producer who knows exactly what the public is looking for. He's dedicated his entire life to a superstar career and surprisingly, despite his notorious involvement with the Cult, he succeeded. Oh and he does have sex with men.

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2022 2:12 PM

R100, Have to disagree on the "glamour" front. Nobody outranks Sean Connery as 007 in a tux.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2022 2:48 PM

Honestly, R101, I think just about anyone looks good in a Brioni tux.

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2022 2:52 PM

Or without.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2022 2:53 PM

I don't think cruise will ever win a oscar for his acting at least not anytime soon... he'll get a lifetime achievement oscar and a lifetime achievement golden globe cecil b. demille award for sure....

i think hollywood has mixed feelings about cruise, the kind of love to hate him, but need him to make money for the industry, the day he doesn't and the day his evil cult is fully exposed he's done for.... the hyenas will attack then...actors that work with cruise go on and on about how great he is while they kiss his ass and do so to win his favor and for their careers, behind his back, who knows what all of them truly think about cruise...

I also think the reason why cruise does NOT do dramatic roles is that directors don't want to work with him, the great ones that is. Seriously for the past 10 years or so he works with the same directors, same "producers" who produce along with him and so on... Of course I call them enablers of cruise and scientology because they have no integrity with working with cruise....

NO great directors of long experience will work with someone who thinks HE is the director and in charge of the film..

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote]I’m tired of indie downers getting BP., Time to reward good popular films that bring audiences back.

Then give John Grisham and the Twilight woman their long overdue Pulitzers and Nobels for fiction.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2022 4:30 PM

Bitch looks so good he could start going for Oscar bait in his 60’s and still credibly play 45-50’s.

Plenty of time for all that.

Maverick was fucking amazing. Best Pic nom for sure.

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2022 4:48 PM

Maybe, r106, but definitely not the BP winner.

Look at the past winners. Not even the Box-Office behemoth and BA winning "Bohemian Rhapsody" garnered BP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2022 5:20 PM

I haven't watch TGM and no intention of watching it. But at this point, I think the Oscars need him for than he needs them. Anyway, I think they will eventually give him an honorary one sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2022 5:30 PM

[quote]Some predict Tom Cruise will win an Oscar for Top Gun: Maverick

Some predict that jesus christ will show up any day now.

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2022 5:32 PM

I’m late to the party but having seen top gun 2 finally I was not impressed. He’s taken all the bite, sexiness and edge of his maverick character and made him so dull and sanitized. I don’t see why the academy would reward him with an acting Oscar. Perhaps if he’d been given something to do. Why couldn’t maverick be battling addiction or something - sex or painkillers. Give him something to do… this film was pointless and I think it’s lessened the significance of the storylines in the original. Who cares about Charlie in the original now when we know her character doesn’t seem to go anywhere after that.

by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2022 9:34 AM

Thank you, r110. Now I can skip both movies!

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2022 12:09 PM

Maybe I should give the flick a try. The first one was so awful I walked out of it.

by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2022 12:20 PM

Now the fifth highest grossing American movie of all time. It's still not on demand, purchase only. Currently 11th for lifetime gross, but since it has already outperformed everything but Avatar in its initial release it will likely end up at #1 or #2. Weirdly, this movie gets no press at all, it's like it didn't come out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2022 6:49 PM

It's a popcorn movie. The only award he should get is a box of Cracker Jack.

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2022 6:58 PM

I cannot stand him, so never pay to see any of his movies. The Hollywood crowd will probably award him the Oscar for longevity, certainly not for his attempts at acting which border on the amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2022 7:01 PM

Xenu taught him how to read, so maybe the space ghosts will manifest an Oscar for him.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2022 7:13 PM

I know people hate him for the Scientology stuff, but he does deserve recognition. They give everyone a thank you for your career Oscar, why not him? TGM was definitely better than the dreck DiCaprio won for.

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2022 7:22 PM

People aren't going to this movie to think, to consider its artistic merits or symbolism, or for anything other than thrills and chills and Tom Cruise---ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Hot summer in the city.

Me? I like TC a lot (I like how he's always game for silliness on talk shows), but I can wait.

I'm the Widder Frau who went dozens of times to see "Elvis"---first for the story, then for Austin Butler, and finally for the Baz the Auteur's vision, his interwoven themes, and his allusions to other films/directors (notably Hitchcock).

That is to say, I think the top blockbuster is (likely) shallow fun, and the biopic deep enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2022 8:53 PM

He is not a great actor and as he has aged he has descended further and further into acting tics - mad grinning, vacant dead eyes etc. His Maverick movie made squillions so he’ll be around for a while yet.

by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2022 9:49 PM

He'll wear an Ungaro soring frock before he wins an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2022 9:51 PM

R117 Pathetic that it has to be said, but it's somewhat true. They may wait until Tom is the same age as Morgan Freeman or Christopher Plummer, and they have to wait until he is long past his best work. His best roles are behind him. Jerry Maguire. Born on the Fourth of July. Rain Man. even The Firm. But watch. He might win for Mission Impossible 17 or this rubbery Top Gun sequel, which is almost as big a slap as not winning an Oscar at all.

Hitchcock never won an Oscar. Glenn Close never won an Oscar. Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant only got those special honorary ("fuck you, grandpa") Oscars toward the end of their lives. The system has never been fair, and with the advent of ranked-choice voting for Oscars, it's mainstream picks from here on out. So the bland, illiterate little psychopath might actually WIN one just on the strength of his consensus appeal. He never won for those stronger performances, suggesting his own peers don't think of him as Oscar-worthy. But with this new voting system, the group's dull fourth choice seems to end up the winner every time.

But for this year, I'd bet on Austin Butler or Brendan Fraser over Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2022 3:21 AM

I'm sure Austin Butler has something to say about your proposal, OP.

by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2022 3:25 AM

For Top Gun? No.

Just because it made a lot of money? No.

by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2022 3:27 AM

Brendan Fraser isn't getting any awards for getting fat and humiliating himself in a movie called "The Whale!" I know; he still needed prosthetics for 600 pounds.

They should just have called this movie "Elvis: If He Had Lived."

by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2022 3:38 AM

R35, You will be proven wrong on both counts. A summer movie ("Elvis") will garner wins for Best Actor (Butler) Best Costume Design (Martin), Best Original Song ("Vegas"), and nominations for Best Director (Baz), BSA (Hanks), and Best Picture.

BP will probably be won by a movie not out yet.

by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2022 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!