Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

100 Days Til ‘Halloween Ends’

Michael Myers is coming, DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 31, 2022 3:46 PM

I really don’t like what they’ve done to the series.

The second movie was miserable. I prefer in horror movies to watch stupid shallow sexy people die, in this movie they were butchering grandparents and old people and it was awful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2022 4:18 PM

You liked the first one, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2022 6:42 PM

I hated both of the new ones.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2022 9:22 PM

I loved the first one, and I expect to like the third. Don’t care all that much for the second, but I have watched it repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2022 11:17 PM

R1 Not really, I hate that they eliminated the Halloween II storyline.

It was over the top Laurie was so PTSD.

I think a reboot would be more interesting, the story is still underdeveloped to an extent, even with Rob Zombie’s shitty white trash origin story.

As a fan of the series, I’d like to see Halloween and Halloween II in one film and delve into storylines with the Meyers family involved.

There’s been no interest on what Michael’s parents think of him lol.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2022 11:34 PM

I want a sequel to Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers with Paul Rudd returning to the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2022 12:20 AM

I loved the first one and really enjoyed the second (for what it was)

This 3rd one sounds like a dud to me and I have felt that way since the beginning. Its going to be very different from the first two. Someone compared it to Christine- the film- and that someone was the director, actually..

Not liking the vibes from John Carpenter and other people in the film who have described it.

And even Jason Blum is not RAVING about it... It has weird cloud around it.

The words/descriptions used have been less than promising.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2022 12:48 AM

I hope the stupid granddaughter character gets killed off in this one.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2022 12:54 AM

I don’t know why these guys keep trying to do “different.” Just give me the same old simple Halloween movie and I won’t complain.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2022 1:03 AM

I'll be glad when David Gordon Green's interpretations are over. It almost makes me long for Rob Zombie's.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2022 3:19 AM

Will Kyle finally die in this one??!!

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2022 4:38 AM

The trailer is coming this week!

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2022 10:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2022 12:42 PM

KILLS is the worst movie in the entire franchise.

Blum's PR here won't change how horrible that movie was. Movies stand on their own, not "It's Part One!" shit.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2022 1:26 PM

Maybe this will be good since it's not being hyped as "the best one" like Kills was.

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2022 2:11 PM

The hype hasn’t started yet, R15. Wait until the trailer drops.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote] 'KILLS is the worst movie in the entire franchise."

Since its release, my vote has been for "Halloween: Resurrection", R14. It's pure trash, despite Curtis being involved.

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2022 9:15 PM

No, Tyra's espresso dance makes RESURRECTION just that much better than the reviled KILLS.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2022 9:35 PM

Kills could’ve easily been better than Resurrection if they changed a few things (like getting rid of the silly gore and “Evil Dies Tonight” crap), but as it stands I have Resurrection above Kills.

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2022 11:18 PM

Also, the parallels between the vicious crowd and real world “woke mobs” was disgusting and out of place.

And Michael’s bedroom has some mystical significance? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2022 11:46 PM

These new filmmakers were so smug and thought they had it all figured out. They managed to make mistakes the other directors avoided and made entirely new ones in the progress?

“Michael is scarier as a random slasher who kills like a shark.” Sure, but when there’s no motive or target, there’s no stakes. Does he want to kill Laurie’s granddaughter? Sure, but he wants to kill everybody so he could go after her or go after someone else.

“Michael being Laurie’s brother is stupid.” Yes, it is. But it also provided a story engine that drove eight films and gave a reason to bring back Jamie Lee Curtis. It provided an important foil for him after the death of Mr. Loomis. Michael in 2018 and 2021 couldn’t care less about Laurie, so why the fuck is she in these movies?

Instead they invent some stupid twist where a mad doctor wants to hold an experiment to see Michael fight some woman he couldn’t give less of a shit about.

I think Kills was better than 2018 because at least it was a fast paced bloodbath. I don’t hold much hope for Ends though.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2022 12:13 AM

R21

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2022 12:22 AM

R21 Agreed.

They rebooted the series and gave it a new twist for him to fall back into the same Jason Vorhees monster.

The only thing they did was erase everything since Halloween 2. They added nothing to his character.

I thought they’d make him more human but they just made him into the same killing machine.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2022 4:30 AM

R11pfft, they’re friends now. I deserve to ask that question.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2022 5:07 AM

After these three highly successful movies, which have redefined Michael Myers for a generation of youngsters, I don’t see how they could possibly go back and make Laurie and Michael related afterall.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2022 4:27 PM

A six pack of beer helps.

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2022 6:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2022 8:37 PM

^ That's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2022 8:51 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis apparently saying the trailer drops July 20th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2022 12:16 AM

The last Halloween was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2022 12:19 AM

H20 explored Laurie's trauma and PTSD in a more realistic and interesting way even though it fumbles a lot on other aspects. The new ones say they're about something deep and profound during their press junkets, but they don't seem very interested in exploring Laurie's trauma in the films themselves. She's very one dimensional in these new movies and it's hard to relate to her. The idea that she's estranged from her daughter and granddaughter could have been very moving if done correctly. The whole concept is rife with juicy potential conflicts and the writers never explore any of them for more than 15 seconds.

It doesn't help that every new character we got introduced to make zero impression. It's hard to be scared or on the edge of your seat when the people being thrown into Michael's path aren't interesting or relatable.

A part of me hopes that the "different direction" they're going in for this one means it's more character driven. Both Laurie and her granddaughter could have some interesting character arcs after all that they've been through. Maybe if they focus on them trying to come to terms with what happened and trying to move on until Michael returns, it might be somewhat interesting.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2022 12:35 AM

In H20, Michael was still Laurie’s brother. She had a reason to be scared and worried for 20 years (remember, his first victim was their older sister).

Wiping out HALLOWEEN 2 and the family connection renders her FORTY YEARS of worrying meaningless. There is NO REASON for him to stalk her.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2022 1:07 AM

She could still be traumatized by the events, R32. He viciously attacked her, kill her friends, tried to kill her and was still alive after all these years. What, are rape victims not allowed to fear their attackers coming after them again if they’re not brother and sister?

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2022 1:12 AM

Do we really need 5000 Halloween movies? Enough

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2022 1:14 AM

There’s been 12 of them, R34. Relax.

And there’s no such thing as enough when it comes to Michael Myers. I want to be on my death bed in anticipation hoping I can live long enough to see the next Halloween movie.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2022 1:27 AM

In fact if I took the reins after DGG stepped aside, I’d brazenly call the next movie “Halloween Never Ends.”

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2022 1:40 AM

Halloween Forever!

Halloween Rises!

Halloween Infinity!

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2022 1:45 AM

[quote] Jamie Lee Curtis apparently saying the trailer drops July 20th.

Great, a 24 hour break from promoting that clown show Alok Menon on her Instagram is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2022 3:30 AM

R6 Dan Farrands, get off Datalounge and stop making shitty movies about serial killers ghosts. Also, you're an egotistical ass.

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2022 3:34 AM

Come on, now. I can’t be the only person here who actually likes Halloween 6? I mean compared to the Zombie remakes and Halloween Kills, is it really that bad R39?

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2022 10:38 AM

I LOVE Halloween 666!!!!!!!

It's my 3rd favorite, after 1 & 2!

The Thorn FOREVER!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2022 12:24 PM

I liked H6, too.

The brother character was super cute, as was baby faced Paul Rudd.

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2022 12:29 PM

The so-1995 brother was very cute!

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2022 12:36 PM

He had a hot ass but he couldn’t live forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2022 2:39 PM

Yeah, that's him. Cute as fuck. Very mid90s

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2022 4:50 PM

You'd think they'd want to explore the fact that Michael doesn't even seem to remember Laurie in these new movies and that her whole life since the '78 attack has been a huge waste. Once again, more interesting and dramatic ideas that they refuse to expand upon.

Give Jamie Lee Curtis a scene where she breaks down about this and it could be one of the best moments in the series. Can you imagine wasting your entire life, driving people away so that you could prepare for another attack by this guy and he's not even after you and only came to your house because some weirdo doctor went out of his way to drive him there? There's so much sadness there and they don't seem interested in exploring it at all.

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2022 6:57 PM

They’re too busy turning her into a Rambo killing machine to worry about giving her a compelling arc.

The only person who truly understood where Laurie was going and how she’d turn out was Kevin Williamson. Laurie was the good girl with a strong head on her shoulders. It was much more realistic that she’d become a high-achiever with control issues and a functioning alcohol problem.

The arc of H20 is so much more interesting. She’s been running from her past for twenty years and has to finally face it and fight. That says a hell of a lot more about trauma than having her lying in wake for forty years for a second shot at a fight with him.

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2022 7:16 PM

He does remember. He stalked her family in Haddonfield. He went after them on purpose.

It MAKES NO SENSE that he's stalking her and her family, though.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2022 7:16 PM

R47, Recovery Cult Victim JLC forced Kevin Williamson to put that functioning alcoholism into the script.

by Anonymousreply 49July 14, 2022 7:17 PM

[QUOTE] The arc of H20 is so much more interesting. She’s been running from her past for twenty years and has to finally face it and fight.

That might be the path they take with Ends. I think it will be all Laurie and Michael, unlike Kills.

by Anonymousreply 50July 14, 2022 9:34 PM

They’re doing public test screenings and the reactions are positive. Then again it was the same story with Kills, so that’s not really saying much.

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2022 11:47 PM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2022 2:39 AM

[quote] Come on, now. I can’t be the only person here who actually likes Halloween 6?

The Thorne cult shit was ridiculous. Donald Pleasance looks like he'd rather undergo chemo for prostate cancer. Marianne Hagan had the appeal of a herpes outbreak. Why cast a chick flatter than a Kansas prairie to do a topless scene?

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2022 2:43 AM

R51- I am a fanboy of this franchise and follow a bunch of Youtubers. Kills sounds like SHIT. Its a serious departure... New character...They are saying that Blumhouse will also have a VERY misleading trailer that will not represent the film accurately,

One test screen was very bad and one was decent.

I suspect strongly that the recut/reshot Blumhouse version is the better screening.

Its a serious departure and the general consensus is that what they are doing is a serious mistake for the last part of a trilogy. And that this film should have been a standalone.

This podcast was great. Around 40 minutes it gets good when one kid HATED everything be has heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2022 3:16 AM

JLC will appear in the new RHOBH episode aired on July 20th

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2022 3:21 AM

Sorry- I meant ENDS sounds like SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2022 3:28 AM

These new Halloween films are shit. Pure, boring shit. Why would you ever reveal that Michael Myers is some old man with a bad haircut, why? He’s “The Shape” for fuck’s sake, keep him a relentless mystery if you have the chance to “reboot” the fucking franchise. The Myers original actor wasn’t a hulking giant, he’s not Jason, Halloween Kills was so rancid, just a putrid mess. This next one sounds like a bomb!

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2022 3:32 AM

The next one does sound like a bomb. And I think once that first weekend is done, it will utterly sink.

It really sounds like it never should have been part of a trilogy- which I think is the worst part.

If you can go in with an open mind, I suspect it may be better if you disconnect the prior 2 films...

I love Halloween and I am actually disappointed. (R57, you clearly hate the franchise so you are lucky!)

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2022 3:36 AM

Sorry R57- You hate the new films, not the franchise.

You may dig this new one!

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2022 3:37 AM

More Blum shills. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2022 4:28 AM

R60-

My posts above basically trashed a film I haven't even seen.

Are you meaning this comment?

"I suspect strongly that the recut/reshot Blumhouse version is the better screening."

I suspect this film will BOMB and that I will hate it, yet I am a shill?

That being said, I do believe the more crowdpleasing film will be the Blumhouse cut.

I am getting a vibe that Blumhouse and David Gordon Green have a war going on.

Either way, the film sounds like a horrible 3rd act to a trilogy. Who knows

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2022 7:36 PM

R31 Laurie’s PTSD in H20 made way more sense. She had suffered both events of the first two films - a man killing her friends and attacking her in a house and then she goes off to the hospital and he attacks everyone in the hospital. That’s fucked up. Then she finds out it’s her brother and she was adopted after he murdered her sister!!

Whereas with the reboot, she was this random victim who was attacked in a house after a guy murdered her friends. While still traumatizing, was it enough to make her suffer from severe paranoia that she waited 40 years to build a trap in her house she trained her daughter for? Plus he was alive and in the prison. Not out there lurking or wondering if he was dead or alive like in H20.

Had they stayed with Halloween II, they could have brought back Lance Guest as her divorced husband because I think the series has insinuated she ended up marrying Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2022 7:49 PM

R62- I hate H20 more and more with every passing year due to its high end Lifetime film stock, SHITTY and out of place soundtrack, and its real lack of suspense/gore.

That being said, I agree 100% with your first paragraph. I loved JLC in that film, I loved her story, loved the son- if that film could have looked and felt like it was from the Halloween universe- it would easily be the best film in the series, possibly better than the original. Even the school setting worked! Its just the production design and glossy vibe and lack of violence. I like these films hardcore.

My fave of all- Halloween 2- 1981. By a mile. It had it all in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2022 8:00 PM

If they'd really wanted to take it to a dark place, they could have made Laurie so crazy that she's the one who stages the bus crash and accidentally lets Michael run free. Now, she'd really feel guilty about bringing him back to continue his bloodbath.

H20 had one of the better scripts in the franchise and Laurie felt more like a real person. It was only hurt by the recycling of the Scream score, lack of atmosphere, and Michael's crappy look which changes from shot to shot. The last act was pretty solid.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2022 9:37 PM

R64- Well said

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2022 11:26 PM

[QUOTE]If they'd really wanted to take it to a dark place, they could have made Laurie so crazy that she's the one who stages the bus crash and accidentally lets Michael run free.

Well she did admit that she prayed for such a thing, R64.

by Anonymousreply 66July 16, 2022 12:02 AM

Yes R59, I actually love the franchise and recently bought the 4K discs of the first two, Halloween looks stunningly good, and all the extras are a treasure if you are a fan. The reason I do not like what the current creative team has done, is they’ve made it “boring”, and needless fat around the edges, the key to making Michael Myers effective is treating him like Bruce the Shark from JAWS, fast, out of sight until it matters, and constantly in your head out of fear. Jeff Fradley, Danny McBride and David Gordon Green are bloated writers with no skill for thrill or mystery, they haven’t done anything interesting in the Halloween world, the only reason the 2018 film was successful is because they stepped away from honoring all the films, a few that were just awful, but the trio didn’t reinvent the Myers wheel, they just dusted off a bit of the whole series and forced some real bad writing into it all. The recent films are directed without a stitch of skill or passion, especially Halloween Kills, it’s tragically shot and paced, unworthy of Carpenter’s original model. I’d LOVE someone to really take over and make the films scary and substantial. Unfortunately it ain’t the current team, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 67July 16, 2022 12:37 AM

If these movies are so terrible, then why does John Carpenter keep telling us how much he loves them? And don’t say it’s financial cause John has never been a sellout.

by Anonymousreply 68July 16, 2022 3:40 PM

I love both Kills and H18.

However, Carpenter has given Ends no praise. In fact, no one interviewed has said any outright positive comments about Ends.

Basically- It's "different."

Bomb.

by Anonymousreply 69July 16, 2022 6:36 PM

R68, JC has admitted in interviews (usually pertaining to H2 or his films being remade) that he's an opportunist. He tell us he loves them because it's in his contract.

by Anonymousreply 70July 16, 2022 6:58 PM

The John Carpenter today, is very different from the John Carpenter who directed the original Halloween, he’s mellowed a great deal. That first film also had the alchemy of other creatives who contributed to its skill and success. I’m happy people enjoy the newer films, for me personally they are lacking on every level. But like with other franchises I just skip the ones I dislike and savor the offerings that I find well done.

by Anonymousreply 71July 16, 2022 7:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 16, 2022 10:58 PM

R72- I hope (even if this film sucks, and I suspect it really does) that the Laurie Strode portion is fitting and worthy...

(The major problem with the film is that its not about- SPOILER

Laurie Strode, and that's the problem...)

IN fact it sounds not about anybody important at all.

by Anonymousreply 73July 16, 2022 11:08 PM

I think the reason some have taken issue with the last two movies is exactly that R73. In the press, the people involved in the film talk about how they're doing a deep dive into trauma and Laurie Strode, but this is the complete opposite when you see the films themselves. They seem more interested in getting to Michael's next kill than taking the time to really give Laurie something interesting to do.

by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2022 1:57 AM

R74- Agree 100%

I rolled my eyes at JLC's comments about both films (who I really really DIG)

Both H18 and Kills were slasher films- and Kills (which I am not ashamed to say I liked) was only elevated by Curtis, and needed MORE of Laurie. Laurie should have been at the gay guys house! Can you imagine?)

I loved David Gordon Green's direction but the whole victim/woke/trauma angle pushed was utter bullshit.

The films were NOT deep.

And that being said, I am dreading Ends. Dreading. It sounds FUCKED.

by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2022 2:20 AM

Even a bad Halloween movie is worse than no Halloween movie at all. Every Halloween film has redeemable qualities. I could never dread the impending release of one, and will always pay to see it so as to encourage a perpetuation of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2022 8:28 AM

Will Kyle show tit?

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2022 9:06 AM

She might. The young guys are digging older ladies now.

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2022 4:12 PM

^^^Lisa/Camille- Time for bed old ladies!!!

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2022 4:37 PM

There is absolutely nothing redeemable about Halloween: Resurrection, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2022 6:04 PM

R80- Man I agree completely.

Didn't someone say above that Resurrection is better than Kills? Not on any day on any planet ever.

by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2022 6:06 PM

Yep R81, anyone who declares that H:R has any merit reveals they have no taste and are most likely mentally impaired. That film is 100% shit.

by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2022 6:15 PM

Anyone who declares that H:R had a worse mask than H20 or H5, a worse score than H20 or a worse Myers House than H5 rides the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2022 6:44 PM

R83 has very similar taste in Halloween films to me. What do you think about this-

My rankings

Halloween 2 1981

Halloween 2018

Halloween Kills

Halloween 1978

Halloween 4

H20 (would be higher if better soundtrack/kills/gore/production- and yes, Jamie Lee was awesome as was her story-film was NOT a Halloween film)

Halloween 6

Halloween 5

Halloween- Rob Zombie

Halloween 2- Rob Zombie

Resurrection

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2022 8:05 PM

And I was just on a Live Chat/Stream on Youtube and Halloween Kills is really going to SUCK.

It sounds really-truly- awful..

Just a nonsensical and almost unconnected end to a "trilogy"...

It doesn't even sound like a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2022 8:14 PM

R84, how could you put Halloween 2018 or Halloween Kills above the original?

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2022 8:27 PM

Jesus Christ if I call ENDS - KILLS one more time I am going to slice my throat.

ENDS ENDS ENDS

The Kills haters probably like that though..

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2022 8:33 PM

R86- I thoroughly enjoyed both of those films and can honestly say I like them better than the original.

I know that Halloween 1978 is the best of all the films in terms of craftsmanship/quality, but it doesn't mean I like it the best...

by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2022 8:34 PM

Halloween II 1981 is always a solid watch. Halloween 2018 and Halloween Kills are in the same league as the Rob Zombie entries, I just find them awful. There was a manic poster on here going on and on about Jamie Lee Curtis getting an Oscar nomination and potential win for her work in H 2018, I appreciate their insanity, but that was the tell re their tenuous grasp of reality. David Gordon Green is a terrible director, his thick fingered helming and writing, along with his D list collaborators produced films that were devoid of scares or suspense. The two sequels were shot and edited with a dirty shot glass. Just my opinion of course, Halloween 4 wipes the floor with them both.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2022 8:48 PM

IF Rob Zombie hadn't made the hospital part of 2009's H2 just a dream, that movie would have been a classic!

It worked off of the 1981 H2 but amped up the terror. That part is fucking fantastic! And SCARY!

But then he made it just a dream, and centered the movie around his hideous wife, and the horse. That lowered it to almost-but-not-quite worse than KILLS status, but still even better than the wretched KILLS.

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2022 8:54 PM

R90, I agree, elements of that film are head and shoulders above anything in the amateur outings of H2018 and HK.

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2022 8:56 PM

The rain in 2009's H2 added to the scary atmosphere, especially if you saw it in the theatre. The guardhouse part is so cool and frightening!

RZ really should have just redone H2 1981 instead of creating his own movie after the dream.

I think it's just children in this thread worshipping the pathetic 2018 and KILLS movies. I guess they like seeing cell phones? Ugly "hot" guys in dresses?

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2022 9:02 PM

I definitely put Kills above RZH2. He would’ve had a great film if he kept with the story and pace of those first 20 minutes, but then he went completely off track. Nothing in Kills is as bad as that white horse bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2022 9:19 PM

The cinematography and performances are all so much better than anything exhibited in the last two duds, you can actually see several extras clueless and laughing in the terrible hospital crowd scenes in Halloween Kills. And don’t get me started on the leads in that one, just rancid. JLC is AWFUL in every frame.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2022 9:23 PM

R93, the White Horse is better than everything in HK, especially that sad suicidal retard, the whole film should be sent to the glue factory!

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2022 9:25 PM

I’ll admit I enjoy watching the opening scene of Resurrection when it comes on during the AMC marathon, but I think I’ve only made it through the whole movie once or twice since I hated it in theaters.

Halloween 5 has a pretty suspenseful final act. I think the real reason I disliked it initially was because I was hoping to see the Jamie as a killer angle explored. Aside from the great twist ending, Halloween 4 is a poorly paced bore and Rachel is a totally overrated final girl. I loved seeing that bland proto-Karen get stabbed in 5.

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2022 9:43 PM

Halloween 4 is absolutely a poorly paced bore and it’s still better than H 2018 and HK.

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2022 9:55 PM

Tommy, Lonnie, and Lindsay were so awful in KILLS.

by Anonymousreply 98July 18, 2022 12:44 PM

Not Kyle, but I thought she did a good job quite honestly. Not surprised that she returns for Ends. (But based on what I have heard of this interesting film, I truly have no idea why her character would return other than to possibly be dispatched.

I liked Anthony Michael Hall but not what they did with his character.

by Anonymousreply 99July 18, 2022 1:36 PM

What did KR actually DO in KILLS?

Nothing. That's not "a good job quite honestly." That's stanning.

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2022 1:49 PM

She was good in the bar scene and she was good in one of the best scenes of the film- getting stalked in the woods/park by Michael.. That was actually a great few minutes of the film.

I thought she was decent and I liked her character-

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2022 2:03 PM

[quote] What did KR actually DO in KILLS? Nothing.

What an idiotic statement. She put a bunch of bricks in a bag and tried to fight Michael Myers.

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2022 2:16 PM

Who is finding satisfaction with the acting performances in Halloween Kills?! This is why cinema is fucked, this is why Putin should just unleash the Satan missiles and scorch it all to Hell.

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2022 4:08 PM

The trailer is rumored to leak tonight instead of tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 104July 20, 2022 12:14 AM

About 5 or 6 seconds of it did leak.

by Anonymousreply 105July 20, 2022 12:32 AM

The trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 20, 2022 1:18 AM

Alright, here’s the official one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 20, 2022 10:10 AM

The old hand in the garbage disposal thing is played out.

by Anonymousreply 108July 20, 2022 2:06 PM

Looks dreadful, lotsa of screaming, lotsa JLC spouting “Come and get me muthafucka” horse hit that we’ve seen and heard a million times. Terrible cinematography and lighting design, and you know that we’re being shown mostly Myers and his beloved “last girl” while the rumors hint they aren’t even the main focus. They already did a brute force final battle in H 2018, now we’re being given the cash grab FINAL final roughhouse brawl to the end. This trilogy will go down as just another mediocrity pushed through the Blumhouse shit factory. Yawn and RIP for fuck’s sake!

by Anonymousreply 109July 20, 2022 2:37 PM

R109- I am hearing its far worse than that.

The entire trailer is a bait and switch and nothing like the film...

The film is supposedly going to be very divisive and not even a traditional slasher or much related to the prior 2.

Also- The trailer supposedly reveals one of the key spoilers of the film- but you really have to pay attention...

I only watched it once on Istagram and I did not catch it. I am not watching the trailer again for this reason.

I believe this 3rd one will be a bomb and make KIlls (which I personally loved) look like Ibsen.

by Anonymousreply 110July 20, 2022 2:56 PM

Also R110- There is supposedly a main character in the film (a new one) I think I did catch a glimpse of him...

His name is "Corey"...

Jamie Lee is probably in 15 minutes of the film like last time.

There was one spoiler that I like, involving "narration"- personally, I do like that one...

Thats all I got.

by Anonymousreply 111July 20, 2022 3:01 PM

This movie may end up being shit but it will NOT bomb.

by Anonymousreply 112July 20, 2022 4:43 PM

R112- True- It will have a great opening weekend and then drop far faster/worse than the others..

I predict 80 million- USA-

Once word gets out, (and I suspect its going to leak BEFORE) its gonna kill this film

by Anonymousreply 113July 20, 2022 5:03 PM

They really should have just let things be with Halloween 2018. For the first time since 1978, the series actually had general feelings of goodwill from both critics and general viewing audiences alike. But money talks, and they just had to ruin it and beat it into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 114July 20, 2022 6:21 PM

And I HATED that they offed Judy Greer’s character in Kills. She was a bland presence in the series, but for all of the 2018 film’s faults, it’s power came from the last act when three generations of Strode woman banded together to defeat their monster. And Kills then stupidly undid all of that!

by Anonymousreply 115July 20, 2022 6:28 PM

Can someone spoil the new plot or this new character? The hinting shit is getting old. I’m curious about the new departures. Just mark it a spoiler post.

by Anonymousreply 116July 20, 2022 6:28 PM

Nevermind. The new plot is supposed to revolve around a young boy who is accused of killing another young boy he was babysitting. There’s debate about whether he did or Michael is back. There’s also a rumored spoiler floating around that’s so unbelievably stupid, I don’t think I should post here because there’s no way to contain it.

DCG says the movie is more Christine than Halloween, and given the shared surname of Cunningham, the new lead will probably get pErVeRtEd bY tHe EViL oF MiChAeL which will summon him to town.

by Anonymousreply 117July 20, 2022 6:44 PM

Go ahead and post it, r117. Just do it.

by Anonymousreply 118July 20, 2022 7:51 PM

I still don't understand how the 2018 film got all the critical love. I think they were blinded by the fact that Jamie Lee Curtis was back and John Carpenter was going the score for the first time since part 3. I like to hope maybe the filmmakers have learned something from the criticisms of the last two movies, but I highly doubt it. I find it hard to believe this guy is doing a new Exorcist trilogy after this. Has he demonstrated any ability to build suspense or scare an audience?

by Anonymousreply 119July 20, 2022 8:14 PM

I never understood why Laurie didn't just leave town every Halloween. Maybe take an annual cruise or something. It would've saved her a ton of agita.

by Anonymousreply 120July 20, 2022 8:17 PM

I can't find the BIG spoiler, so just post it.

Everything I see is that Corey is a copycat killer who is the new focus of the movie, set 4 years after the vile KILLS.

by Anonymousreply 121July 20, 2022 8:29 PM

It explains why Michael's hand seems intact in that first scene of him walking up the stairs. My theory is this Corey kid is doing most of the killing and he's defeated either by Laurie or Allyson and then the real Michael shows up and he and Laurie have a final 10 minute showdown and one or both of them will die.

I've heard the film is narrated by Laurie's character because she's writing her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 122July 20, 2022 8:33 PM

R119, I’m with you. I went with ages old friends to see H 2018 on opening night because of all the buzz, we actually all saw the original together, half way through we were whispering how awful it was, we left afterwards hating it. The script was so pedestrian and was all over the place with Laurie, and as with Kills, some terrible acting. Now most of the Halloween franchise has terrible scripts and acting, but there was all this talk about how wonderful this film was and it reinvented the wheel with Myers and company, but it was a boring, unfocused slog of a movie. And the “creative team” then shat out a sequel in Halloween Kills that makes the Rob Zombie takes look sublime in comparison. Horrible performances, hacksaw editing and a completely lazy “shock” ending. There are better crap slasher films on fucking Vudu! I just cannot imagine the spectacular disaster David Gordon Green’s handling of The Exorcist properties will be, he’s shown NO skill for suspense or true horror. It’s like getting Dinesh D'Souza to reboot Jaws.

by Anonymousreply 123July 20, 2022 8:44 PM

Totally with you r119 and r123.

Let's wait for the KILLS/DGG Apologist to rush here to defend them!

by Anonymousreply 124July 20, 2022 8:52 PM

Who is the Kills/DGG apologist?

by Anonymousreply 125July 20, 2022 11:11 PM

These threads are just for everyone to shit on the DGG films. If you say anything-ANYTHING good about them- they try to run you off.

(And I am seriously already hating on Ends, but loved the first 2)

I could give a shit less what people think. I hope everyone loves Ends- I can tell already I am going to hate that one.

And again- the trailer is BULLSHIT. Nothing like the film.

by Anonymousreply 126July 20, 2022 11:41 PM

Looks like the first potential goodlooking male teen (who gets choked lying down) in the franchise since Josh Hartnett. This horror franchise has the least amount of eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 127July 21, 2022 12:25 AM

I found r126 on Reddit earlier.

by Anonymousreply 128July 21, 2022 12:26 AM

What’s the secret spoiler that will break the Internet if revealed on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 129July 21, 2022 12:28 AM

Laurie Strode is really Larry Strode.

by Anonymousreply 130July 21, 2022 12:41 AM

[QUOTE]And again- the trailer is BULLSHIT. Nothing like the film.

You’ve seen the film, R126?

by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2022 1:14 AM

R131- No, but I have a good source on this last film.

Just don't be mislead by the trailer.. It's a very new take and sooooo different.

Some may like it, I suspect most will hate it. But the trailer is pure bait and switch.

And I don't even know much- as I did not want to..

by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2022 2:13 AM

I can’t imagine they’d want the film to bomb. They know there’s only so much “new” and “different” Halloween fans will take.

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2022 11:16 PM

Sorry, I was the one who mentioned the big spoiler and I’ve been away from the sub.

I’m about to post it so if you don’t want to read it, skip the post.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Corey is alleged to be Michael Myers’ biological son.

by Anonymousreply 134July 23, 2022 10:38 AM

This whole reboot has been a joke.

All is forgiven, HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION.

by Anonymousreply 135July 23, 2022 12:11 PM

So this is a copycat movie? The Michael who opens the door has five fingers on his left hand.

by Anonymousreply 136July 23, 2022 2:17 PM

Michael Myers having a son? Give me a break. They’d be fools to try to pull some stunt like that.

by Anonymousreply 137July 23, 2022 3:22 PM

First they reveal Michael Myers as an old, bulky, unshaven dude who is conveniently locked up and catatonic until he sees his mask. Nothing unseen or mysterious allowed when the mediocre “creative team” for this reboot trilogy is on duty. Let’s make the character even more of just another normal serial killer by having him have sired a child, when, on the way to his confinement, with an amorous orderly? What a fucking joke, God forbid what Captain Hack, David Gordon Green, is going to do to original The Exorcist and that legacy.

by Anonymousreply 138July 23, 2022 4:34 PM

I think DGG & Co. must be putting fake information out there to throw everyone. The idea of Michael Myers having a child is even more comedic than the junk they had in Kills. Surely the Akkads would’ve stepped in and said no to such hijinks if it was seriously proposed.

by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2022 5:24 PM

Carpenter should have directed this - he could use a hit film.

by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2022 7:35 PM

[quote]Corey is Allyson's boyfriend. He is a significant character. Allyson and him have a difficult relationship. I wouldn't say it's toxic but it's not good, especially with the place she is in mentally. From what I've been told, much of their interaction fuels the movie - it's an Allyson/Corey movie more than a Laurie/Michael movie.

[quote]I also have been told Laurie has only a minor role throughout 3/4 of the movie but her role is expanded significantly toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote]David Gordon Green’s “Halloween Ends,” the final chapter of the rebooted Michael Myers trilogy, screened in New Jersey on Tuesday evening. Here’s a reaction:

[quote]“The film is a terrible embarrassment for all concerned. Extraordinarily predictable and you can see every single jump scare and "twist" coming from a mile away. Jamie Lee Curtis narrates the film but she's only a major presence at the end. The main character is actually Rohan Campbell, he's in almost every scene for much of the film. The tortured romance between him and Andi Matichak is the main focus. Both Campbell and Matichak are terrible. The ending is incredibly cheesy and a lot of fan service but Halloween fans will probably get what they wanted. The audience seemed into it but there were also some snickers near me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2022 9:07 PM

They’re turning Halloween into a fucking Twilight movie?

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2022 9:50 PM

All spoilers confirm the Young Love romance is central to the plot, and overwhelms the movie, both cuts.

by Anonymousreply 144July 23, 2022 10:27 PM

I don't think Corey will be Michael's child. I do think he'll be doing a lot of the killing in this, though.

It seems as if Blumhouse is done with Halloween after this one, so I hope someone else gets the rights to the series and reboots it from scratch again. I hope this final movie in the trilogy is the best one so far, but the people involved have given me zero confidence that they know what they're doing. They've brought nothing scary, moving, or worthwhile to the plate and, to make matters worse, they've given so many interviews about how deep and profound these films are and such a departure from all those silly sequels that came before. I'll take the ridiculousness of Halloween 5 or 6 over the crap they've served up so far.

by Anonymousreply 145July 23, 2022 10:54 PM

I like how we’re pretending to be surprised that the 13th entry in the Halloween film franchise is bad…

by Anonymousreply 146July 24, 2022 12:15 AM

There is absolutely no reason why it should be. Making a good Halloween movie is simple, and the fans are easy to please.

by Anonymousreply 147July 24, 2022 12:30 AM

The beginning of H20 was perfect (except for the music). Fans still love the opening with Marion and the cute boys.

This current shit has no idea how to hook the real fans.

by Anonymousreply 148July 24, 2022 12:44 AM

[quote] I like how we’re pretending to be surprised that the 13th entry in the Halloween film franchise is bad…

Or that Jamie Lee Curtis will be in it the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 149July 24, 2022 12:58 AM

Maybe they think too much JLC is a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 150July 24, 2022 1:08 AM

Tyra’s espresso dance in RESURRECTION is better than this lame Millennial trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 151July 24, 2022 1:10 AM

[Quote] There is absolutely no reason why it should be. Making a good Halloween movie is simple

Is it though? To date, over the span of 44 years and 13 entries in the franchise, only one of them has been a legitimately great film, and that’s the original.

by Anonymousreply 152July 24, 2022 2:55 AM

[Quote] Or that Jamie Lee Curtis will be in it the whole time.

Honestly, good for her for getting an easy pay check. She was great in Halloween 2018, and things should have ended there!

by Anonymousreply 153July 24, 2022 2:59 AM

Cosplay weddings don't come cheap.

by Anonymousreply 154July 24, 2022 4:10 AM

I just think it’s funny that after all that, after all the bitching and moaning of DGG and his team about how stupid Laurie Myers twist was, after they’d completely erased any stakes whatsoever in the relationship between Laurie/Michael, and in fact, made it seem as if the franchise villain couldn’t care less about the franchise lead, they’re STILL going back to the well of a secret member of the Myers family.

How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 155July 24, 2022 4:33 AM

I think DGG is going to the Rise of Skywalker route where he pretended he had a trilogy planned out and then just winged it when it came time for the final part.

by Anonymousreply 156July 24, 2022 4:34 AM

DGG’s legacy amongst Halloween fans might end up being worse than Rob Zombie’s.

by Anonymousreply 157July 24, 2022 11:07 AM

I think you all can see the Christine angle now with Keith's obsession with Christine..

Corey...

I cannot wait until opening weekend... A debacle.

Very surprised that Blum let this happen- I suspect its kind of a war zone between Blumhouse and DGG. Have no idea what Akkad's views are- He just wants to keep the franchise going but its going to all be shit..

I loved 2018 and Kills so its not like my taste is a good barometer.

by Anonymousreply 158July 24, 2022 2:41 PM

R158 posts nonstop on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 159July 24, 2022 3:23 PM

[QUOTE]I loved 2018 and Kills so its not like my taste is a good barometer.

That’s an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 160July 24, 2022 3:30 PM

R159- Stop the Reddit shit. I don't post on Reddit.

Let's just see what you think when you see the film..

It's funny that 3-4 Halloween fans on Datalounge can be such utterly miserable cunts.

Probably an H20 fan who thinks the score was really good.

by Anonymousreply 161July 24, 2022 4:15 PM

^ LOL. God, H20's score was awful.

by Anonymousreply 162July 24, 2022 8:17 PM

So it looks like Halloween Ends will basically be a remake of Christine?

by Anonymousreply 163July 28, 2022 3:34 PM

I can assume that once Halloween Ends runs a few weeks, they announce a new version of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 164July 28, 2022 3:36 PM

No, they'll at least wait a few months. Thankfully, it seems like David Gordon Green and co. won't be back. Let a few other people take the wheel for awhile and see what they can do until they reboot it again in 20 years with Jamie Lee Curtis in a retirement home. I know, she says she's done, but she said that 20 years ago and came back. Even if the last shot of this movie is Laurie dead in a pool of blood, they'll find a way to bring her back if they want to.

by Anonymousreply 165July 28, 2022 5:23 PM

They should let Jordan Peele take a stab at it.

by Anonymousreply 166July 28, 2022 10:58 PM

Yeah, that's a great idea. Michael kills all the black teenagers in the hood while wearing a white mask.

by Anonymousreply 167July 28, 2022 11:48 PM

Jordan Peele is one of the only filmmakers right now who can open a movie with huge box office just on his name alone.

He’s not doing Halloween 14.

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2022 2:32 PM

He loves Halloween movies and he loves John Carpenter, R168. He’s a horror movie fan like the rest of us. He would do it just to go down in history as one of the few directors to make a good Halloween film.

by Anonymousreply 169July 29, 2022 4:04 PM

Peele’s sensibility is so different than that of this franchise, though.

by Anonymousreply 170July 29, 2022 9:58 PM

A few have said it should’ve ended in 2018. Try 1998. Michael with his head cut off. Jamie Lee Curtis and the franchise ending on a fairly creative high. Resurrection and these junk, horror porn Halloween films have only degraded the masterpiece of 1978 and the ok sequels. I used to think the 80s ones were bad without Curtis. H20 I find the second best one with 1981 a close second. Then came Resurrection onward. Pure shit.

by Anonymousreply 171July 29, 2022 10:20 PM

All of the bad Halloween movies since 1998 are better than no Halloween movies at all. As shitty as the Rob Zombie movies were, for example, I still had a great time going out and seeing it with friends. And I also enjoyed the anticipation of them all. It’s always an exciting time when a new Halloween movie is coming.

by Anonymousreply 172July 31, 2022 7:05 PM

Agree R172.

I could not be less excited for Ends though...

Hopefully the next reboot will make Ends just a memory.

I loved the first 2 of this trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 173July 31, 2022 7:26 PM

We’ll become more excited for Ends when the marketing ramps up.

I love when they start running commercials. Watching horror movie commercials always takes me back to my childhood when they used to scare the hell out of me since they aired after dark.

by Anonymousreply 174July 31, 2022 8:27 PM

There has been one great Halloween movie. Everything that has followed has been a lazy attempt with no real thrills or surprises.

by Anonymousreply 175August 4, 2022 10:41 AM

Trick o treet, Mutha Fucka!

Hi-ya!

by Anonymousreply 176August 4, 2022 10:46 AM

SPOILER---- You guys wanted some info, so this is more sucky info.

Remember what I said about bait and switch. 1/4 of the trailer is actually this-

SPOILER+++++

There is a film being made within the film about shocker- the Halloween Killings+++

You will notice the best scenes in the trailer are teens screaming- take a look- especially the fence one with the kid with the longish hair.

They are all scenes from the film within the film.... All recreations from Halloween 2018- you will recognize the fence one (the flood lights scene in H2018)

Anyway, if that's 1/4 of the trailer... Fuck me.

Corey figures into that. Wonder where he gets the Myers Mask?

This is no slasher film. Its a joke.

by Anonymousreply 177August 4, 2022 7:27 PM

Is Michael even in the film?

by Anonymousreply 178August 4, 2022 7:38 PM

R178- YES- but not alot.

The entire thing is a bait and switch.

1/2 of the trailer with Michael (SPOILER)

SPOILER

is Corey with the mask that he stole from the film within the film.

The trailer is so misleading

by Anonymousreply 179August 4, 2022 8:02 PM

SPOILER---Also above, some folks are saying its a Cosplaying/reinactment/haunted house kinda shit going on in the film or a DOCUMENTARY being shot- - just kids having some kind of performance type shit. All probably more likely than a film within a film, as that would be too derivative of Scream..

I suspect I am wrong... (Its all in the trailer though in terms of the reenactments..)

by Anonymousreply 180August 4, 2022 8:10 PM

I think the person with all the spoilers has to be missing information. Somewhere in this movie, we’ll find multiple scenes with Michael Myers killing people with a knife. There’s no way that it won’t be a slasher movie, nor could they have both Michael and Laurie on the sidelines for too long.

by Anonymousreply 181August 5, 2022 12:39 AM

Forgive me for being cynical, but how many of these final redemptive sequels are they going to make with Jami Lee and company ? I truly hope this is a great project. But I’m only rational in my dubiousness

by Anonymousreply 182August 5, 2022 12:49 AM

I estimate Jamie Lee will have 18 minutes of screen time in this one.

by Anonymousreply 183August 5, 2022 12:51 AM

I just watched Kills and i cannot believe how stupid all of the characters were. I can see why Paul Rudd didn't return. What was the point in bringing back the original actors just to kill them off? Or not having the townspeople absolutely decimate Michael instead of just a couple of blows to the head?

by Anonymousreply 184August 5, 2022 1:56 PM

I don't think those spoilers about the film crew are real.

by Anonymousreply 185August 5, 2022 4:00 PM

I'm dreading the COVID gags in this.

by Anonymousreply 186August 5, 2022 4:06 PM

R185- Its either a documentary or some kind of things with kids reinacting the murders/ maybe even a high school/college project.

Go watch the trailer- every kill /attack in the trailer other than Jamie Lee, is just a bunch of kids reenacting/acting former kills.

The most obvious is the fence scene with the kid with long hair.

Kyle is a glorified cameo.

When you read the IMDB as well- you will see that there is a very small cast.

The entire film is basically Corey.

This is going to be utterly awful. Let's revisit when it comes out. This thread should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 187August 5, 2022 4:10 PM

Wait a minute, this film takes place 4 years after 2018, right? Why would they be addressing Covid in 2022 if in reality everyone is acting like its 2018?

by Anonymousreply 188August 5, 2022 5:59 PM

[QUOTE] This thread should be fun.

This thread is already fun.

by Anonymousreply 189August 5, 2022 11:17 PM

The unhinged loon who actually “loves” 2018 and KILLS is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 190August 5, 2022 11:51 PM

Hey, I and many other people love 2018 as well.

Kills on the other hand..

by Anonymousreply 191August 5, 2022 11:52 PM

2018 was a drag.

by Anonymousreply 192August 6, 2022 1:05 AM

I loved 2018. HK had its moments, but falls in the middle of the pack.

The best part of HK for me was Jamie Lee's 12 minute introduction at Beyond Fest. Constant F Bombs.

by Anonymousreply 193August 6, 2022 1:07 AM

After the singular horrific failure of H:Resurrection, H 2018 and HK are my least favorite of the franchise. The reason is, apart from the messy scripts and mediocre direction, is that they were hyped to be groundbreaking in the genre, instead, they are just more tired sequels without a hint of character development or purpose…besides a cash grab.

by Anonymousreply 194August 6, 2022 3:15 PM

R194, one thing that I hope Scream 6 tackles when talking about sequels to reboots — which I’m sure is an inevitability — is that it shows the hubris of these new directors. They come into a franchise like everyone who came before is an idiot and only they know how to fix it. There’s some inspiration in the first movie, but in the sequels they start to make the stupid mistakes that the other filmmakers avoided.

The fact that the central conflict of this new trilogy involves an antagonist who literally could not give less of a shit about the protagonist is bad fan fiction level narrative suicide.

by Anonymousreply 195August 6, 2022 3:24 PM

H2 1981 and SCREAM 2 are PERFECT.

by Anonymousreply 196August 6, 2022 4:11 PM

R196- Agree 100% about H2 1981- My favorite of the entire franchise- I do not care what critics say- It is a PERFECT horror film.

by Anonymousreply 197August 6, 2022 4:46 PM

I didn’t know critics hated Halloween II. I thought we all pretty much agreed that it’s one of the best sequels. I’ve spoken to many Halloween fans who place it above the original.

by Anonymousreply 198August 6, 2022 6:41 PM

R198- In 1981, critics hated it.

by Anonymousreply 199August 6, 2022 6:44 PM

Well I’m sure they think better of it now.

by Anonymousreply 200August 6, 2022 8:51 PM

The opening of Halloween II is great but the hospital setting is lackluster and there are sections that really drag. It’s definitely one of the better sequels, although H20 is my personal favorite.

by Anonymousreply 201August 7, 2022 5:33 AM

The beginning of H2 1981 is one of the most brilliant recaps in horror movie history. Alan Howarth's synth version of Carpenter's classic theme is terrifying!

The sounds of Michael breathing are louder and creepier. Everything intensifies so effectively to draw you back into the story, and move on from there.

The KILLS fake 1978 inserts are dreadful and intensify nothing, except hatred for Lonnie and the cop.

by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2022 12:06 PM

The 1978 inserts were only there to support DGG’s pet character Officer Hawkes and for no other reason. Someone should make a video on how the new Halloween trilogy is a great example of how new filmmakers can totally fuck up a franchise.

If there’s anyone story from 1978 that people couldn’t care less about, it’s Officer fucking Hawkes who didn’t appear in the mythology until five years ago and now is suddenly integral to it.

by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2022 12:45 PM

I thought Hawkins was cool, but they didn’t use him right.

by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2022 1:51 PM

[quote] The opening of Halloween II is great but the hospital setting is lackluster

The fuck?!

[quote] and there are sections that really drag.

Care to provide examples?

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2022 1:51 PM

I think the main problem pt. 2 1981 had with critics was that it was just turned into a routine slasher film, without the atmosphere and knife killings that weren’t as hardcore. The brother sister angle and JLC horrible wig didn’t help matters. I still have an issue with making Laurie and Michael brother sister, at least the three from 2018 erased that. They haven’t contributed much else.

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2022 2:07 PM

I on the other hand liked the brother sister angle. I thought it helped separate Michael from all the other slashers. As a kid when I first got into the Halloween movies, the idea of this man hunting down and killing his entire bloodline and anybody who got in his way sounded cooler to me than some guy going around randomly killing folks. Like he was driven, he actually had a purpose.

by Anonymousreply 207August 7, 2022 2:20 PM

R207 I think Michaels only purpose was to be a killing machine. If you look at all the films, that’s all he does. Randomly killing folks, related or not.

by Anonymousreply 208August 7, 2022 2:33 PM

John Carpenter approved the brother/sister canon. He also approved The Thorn connection in the 1978 HALLOWEEN novelization.

He can lie however he wants now, but he was on-board for all of that, which kept the franchise alive.

The only reason for the franchise to continue is because Michael had a need to kill his family, especially his sisters.

H2018 makes ZERO SENSE for a 65 year old man making a bee-line to a woman he saw for a few hours forty years prior.

by Anonymousreply 209August 7, 2022 2:49 PM

I enjoyed this fan film more than any of the recent films.

Maybe they should get their hand at making a Michael flick =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 7, 2022 3:13 PM
by Anonymousreply 211August 7, 2022 3:19 PM

[quote] If you look at all the films, that’s all he does. Randomly killing folks, related or not.

He kills people getting in the way or who are possible protection for his targets - Laurie, Jamie, his house.

by Anonymousreply 212August 7, 2022 3:21 PM

R209 Carpenter came up with it because it’s all he could think of because a sequel was needed. The likelihood even in the Halloween universe that they would be brother and sister is ridiculous. The Strode family wasn’t needed to continue the Myers Halloween saga. Because of the family angle we had Laurie faking her own death and leaving her daughter behind. Yup that makes a LOT of sense. As far as him coming back for her in 2018, he just wanted to finish the job so to speak. No more silly than having them brother and sister.

R212 well everyone gets in his way. I don’t remember one Halloween film where Michael just moved on after getting in close proximity with someone without killing them. He doesn’t discriminate. I find him just being a killing machine, this unstoppable, evil, black force, more compelling than any family angle.

by Anonymousreply 213August 7, 2022 6:45 PM

DGG stans will defend anything he shits out. ^^

by Anonymousreply 214August 7, 2022 6:56 PM

R209 he doesn't make a beeline for her in 2018. She's pursuing him

by Anonymousreply 215August 7, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote] well everyone gets in his way. I don’t remember one Halloween film where Michael just moved on after getting in close proximity with someone without killing them.

Let me refresh your memory then...

H2 - Mrs. Elrod, Boom Box Boy

H20 - The mother at the rest stop

by Anonymousreply 216August 7, 2022 7:00 PM

H4 - When Loomis comes across Michael at the diner, Michael leaves without killing him

by Anonymousreply 217August 7, 2022 7:06 PM

The first film is excellent and the sequels are grouped in "pretty good" "ok" and "shit". Which sequel falls into which category: YMMV.

The main issue with the franchise, as outlined in this book, is that the controlling producers have always been profits over a good movie. Halloween 5 was rushed into production without a finished script or even finished ideas because 4 was a success. Resurrection was immediately retconned because Michael was their cash cow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 7, 2022 7:07 PM

R216 touché. I don’t dote on the Halloween films that much. Most of them are junk and exist only for cash grabs. Unsure why he just wouldn’t kill these people and what made them so special. This just furthers the argument that logic went out the window with this franchise a long time ago, when it should’ve been at the most a two film series.

by Anonymousreply 219August 7, 2022 7:09 PM

One of the best stories in the Halloween mythos is NightDance, one of the comics.

It would make a great standalone movie,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 7, 2022 7:10 PM

Laurie becomes The Shape in the comic book timeline.

by Anonymousreply 221August 7, 2022 7:32 PM

Like most Blumhouse movies, the new trilogy lacks any kind of emotional stakes. What did Laurie really need from the 2018 movie? Did she want to run into Michael? Did she think that watching him being transferred to another facility would make herself heal? She's a very boring flat character in those movies who just reacts instead of doing anything about it. If she'd planned this elaborate booby trapped house to lure him into, wouldn't it have been more interesting to have her be the one to try to get him there instead of that random doctor?

It's horror movie 101 to always have your main characters in danger. Laurie's never in any real danger, so why should we care? Just because she's a beloved character in the franchise? It takes more than that. Every sequel needs to have a reason why the main character is back again and gotten themselves into trouble and these movies couldn't come up with a good enough reason for that.

They briefly touch on something really interesting in Halloween Kills where another character tells Laurie that Michael doesn't even remember her and was never after her and that all of this planning and wasting her life away for 40 years has been for nothing. That's something interesting for Laurie to have to grapple with, but they do nothing with it. It's just on to the next slaughtering of personality-free townspeople.

by Anonymousreply 222August 7, 2022 7:33 PM

R221 there's multiple comic timelines, just like the movies. Nightdance is a pretty standalone and awesome story. Huge body count and a savage ending.

by Anonymousreply 223August 7, 2022 7:57 PM

Blumhouse is shit. Sometimes fun shit, gory shit, but ultimately cheap shit. Halloween should have never fallen under the company and it’s umbrella. Especially with DGG at the helm, he’s a boring hack. These new films suck Loomis balls.

by Anonymousreply 224August 7, 2022 8:57 PM

I also hate Danny McBride.

by Anonymousreply 225August 7, 2022 9:07 PM

Oh Hell yes R225, McBride is such a putrid slug of a writer, it works occasionally when he’s creating for himself, he knows his arena, and can portray a douchebag with knowing skill, but he can’t write a lick of suspense or horror. He’s a “dumb” writer, you can tell in these films where he riffed off the narrative and it is the equivalent of listening to your drunk and high moron friend explain a film they watched, it never makes sense and fails until you zone out. The monosyllabic bartender and rancid old couple in HK are prime examples of such needless stooges, talking about nothing, horrible acting, unskilled screen energy, just like Danny himself. These new films scream stunted mediocrity in every frame. The scripts are so bad, so unformed, they reward with not a trace of actual suspense or menace. Grade Z cable slasher fare laughs at the worthless product this “creative team” shat out. I expect HE to be the worst of the worst, because they shot so many loads in the last two, it’s fitting that just like McBride, it ends with impotent ineptitude.

by Anonymousreply 226August 7, 2022 9:36 PM

Great takedown, R226!

by Anonymousreply 227August 7, 2022 10:05 PM

This is what makes these films so frustrating. The idea of exploring generational trauma through the lens of a Halloween movie is a great idea. H20 and Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 already did this to some extent and the results were pretty interesting and gave the series some much needed heart and humanity for the first time in awhile. These new writers don't have the skills to pull that off. They can come up with a few amusing zingers for the day players right before they have their brains smashed in, but they can't give Laurie Strode anything human or captivating to do. She feels like what would happen if a computer had to generate a storyline for Linda Hamilton in another Terminator sequel.

I'd like to see the movies they're always describing during the press tours. They sound so much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 228August 7, 2022 11:07 PM

R228, absolutely well said! And YES, the reason why I’m especially disappointed, and really dislike these new offerings, is because of the manic hyperbole that gets spewed out during the press junkets for these shit takes. Everyone goes on and on how deep and different they are, how they set out to make really SPECIAL FILMS, and you end up with fucking Jason Takes Manhattan level turds. Which is one of my main complaints, Michael Myers isn’t fucking Jason Vorhees, he’s not a 6’ 5” hulking giant, he’s not The Terminator, but for some reason DGG and company present him like Jason without the hockey mask, there’s nothing sleek and elegant about him in these films. He’s a hulking, old, unshaven golem, hacking away for no reason. No suspense, no thrills, just turgid writing and lackluster direction. Shit. Just shit.

by Anonymousreply 229August 8, 2022 2:35 AM

Slaughtering the firemen in the putrid KILLS was as superhuman as anything Jason’s done. Insanely powerful.

by Anonymousreply 230August 8, 2022 3:55 AM

Why didn't the first one with the hose aim for his face/eyes? Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 231August 8, 2022 4:21 AM

[Quote] Blumhouse is shit. Sometimes fun shit, gory shit, but ultimately cheap shit.

Blumhouse is hit and miss. Those Happy Death Day movies are fun. As was Truth Or Dare and Unfriended. But then you get shit like Fantasy Island.

[Quote] Why didn't the first one with the hose aim for his face/eyes? Dumbass.

Why didn't he try to hit Michael with the hose instead??

by Anonymousreply 232August 8, 2022 4:34 AM

R232 Trurth or Dare makes Kills look like the original Halloween

by Anonymousreply 233August 8, 2022 5:24 AM

I guess the rumors are true after all. What a nightmare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234August 13, 2022 12:51 AM

R234- This film will utterly bomb out of the gate

What I truly don't understand is why Ends was not devoted more to Laurie when the trilogy was going to end like THIS!

It's utterly fucked. Dreading the reviews and audience reaction.

I suspect the Opening Weekend will bomb as well.

by Anonymousreply 235August 13, 2022 12:59 AM

R234- And you can see why the trailer is being called a bait and switch.

by Anonymousreply 236August 13, 2022 1:00 AM

I wouldn’t mind if, say, this is the first 15 minutes of the film, followed by Michael awakening and wreaking havoc on Haddonfield for the remainder of the picture before his and Laurie’s final showdown at the end. But you can’t have this Corey Cunningham shit take up a majority of the film. How did nobody stop DGG from doing this? Blum? The Akkads? No one was there to intervene?

by Anonymousreply 237August 13, 2022 1:08 AM

R237- Thank you... I cannot wait until a real story comes out about how this all went down.

I am very- extremely- surprised that Akkad-especially Akkad- let this happen, and frankly that Blumhouse would not have insisted on Part 3 of the trilogy being completely scrapped and rewritten before production began..

I believe all 3 were written early on with only minor tweaks on Ends? I have to find some old articles..

I find this fascinating and I am glad you brought this up. I suspect it may be a war zone between all parties at this point. It is also an impossible film to market in an honest way, hence the bait and switch. If this trailer truly reflected the film, they know that it would be a financial disaster. So they essentially lied to the fans/public.

by Anonymousreply 238August 13, 2022 1:14 AM

From the article at R234:

[Quote] The citizens of Provincetown banded together to kill Michael

WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 239August 13, 2022 1:43 PM

My anticipation for this film has been completely deflated. They’ve ruined my whole end of summer/Halloween excitement.

by Anonymousreply 240August 18, 2022 4:31 PM

The whole plot leaked online. Check it out before it’s gone. Obviously heavy spoilers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 18, 2022 6:25 PM

Sounds like what one would expect from these filmmakers. They should really wait 5 or 10 years and reboot the entire series from scratch. No one has ever understood what made the original so powerful. There are moments in 2, 4, H20, and even the 2018 film that almost get there, but there's always something that gets in the way. Either the mask looks stupid or the guy playing Myers looks wrong for the part or the cinematography has no atmosphere or they reuse music from Scream. There's always something that keeps it from getting there.

by Anonymousreply 242August 18, 2022 7:15 PM

Sorry, Halloween 2 gets there.

Halloween 2 gets inside me inch by inch by inch!

Leave Halloween 2 alone. :)

by Anonymousreply 243August 18, 2022 9:36 PM

[QUOTE]They should really wait 5 or 10 years and reboot the entire series from scratch. No one has ever understood what made the original so powerful.

Fuck that. We’ve got writers and directors out there who could come in right now and make a decent Halloween movie that’s ready for next year. I don’t want to wait 5-10 years. I could be dead by then.

The Akkads should already be lining things up for the next film as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 244August 18, 2022 9:46 PM

^^ I believe that the Akkads (I think there is only one now- the handsome son) are doing just that.

I am lost why this film is being released. I cannot fathom that Blum or Akkad are happy...

Maybe it was just too late? They were blinded by the success of the first 2?

There has to be more to this.

by Anonymousreply 245August 19, 2022 1:44 AM

More like blinded by the success of the first one. After Halloween 2018, they probably made some kind of deal figuring this guy and his team could do no wrong. Now they’re stuck with him.

by Anonymousreply 246August 19, 2022 1:54 PM

Debuting on Peacock the same time as theaters. Not a good sign. Means they have no confidence in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 26, 2022 12:47 AM

R247- They were completely confident about Kills because of the great previews/test screenings.. Didnt Kills also premiere on Peacock?

That being said- Ends is going to be a disaster. I am calling it now. The audience will despise it and no matter what the opening weekend is, its going to drop 80% by word of mouth by the second weekend-

The spoilers/script leaks are fucking hilariously bad. Its not a slasher and its not even a proper end to the trilogy. I am actually surprised that Jamie Lee did the film and did not demand that changes be made. Even another 15 minutes of the "regular" characters could have possibly saved this shitshow.

I suspect one day the stories will leak about how this was allowed to happen at all. In terms of the end of a trilogy, its utterly ludicrous. And its not like they wanted to start a new franchise (because if they did, this horrible ending would make more sense)

by Anonymousreply 248August 26, 2022 1:03 AM

Kills came out during the pandemic, R248, when people still weren’t going to theaters.

by Anonymousreply 249August 26, 2022 7:04 AM

Um, didn't they release Kills simultaneously as well? People will fill theater seats no matter what. The film may be a stinker but it will make bank. I'm kind of excited it's not getting a lot of love. Overhyped/overrated movies tend to fall flat with me. Black Phone is a prime example. I hated that movie. Maybe Halloween Ends will actually be decent.

by Anonymousreply 250August 26, 2022 12:47 PM

R250- You have a point. I thought Black Phone sucked as well.

No joke, my favorite film of the year so far ( a horror film) was X.

I thought it was absoutely a blast.

R249- You are right and I am an idiot for not thinking of that (release during the pandemic)

I think Ends will bomb right out of the gate as word as mouth builds prior to release- there are way too many spoilers.

I have decided to look at Ends like Halloween 3- (And I finally saw Halloween 3 last year- and for a standalone film, it was GOOD- not great- but solid!)

Maybe if I can separate it, it won't be as bad. But holy fuck, fans are going to be seriously pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 251August 26, 2022 1:23 PM

New poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 28, 2022 5:41 PM

They’re still working on the ending? What the hell kind of operation is this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 31, 2022 3:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!