Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Life of an Office DataLounger circa 1979!

Elders, please share your stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 4, 2023 11:15 PM

1979 is the exact year Ginny from Billing was in my life. She was always nagging about time sheets. I broke her heart by lying on a meal reimbursement sheet.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2022 3:48 PM

Who ever thought I'd use a Wang for a word processor?

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2022 3:49 PM

Ah, punch cars, now those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2022 3:53 PM

punch cards*

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2022 3:53 PM

We didn't have a computer in the advertising agency where I worked in '79.

IBM Selectrics™? Yes. Computers, no.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2022 3:56 PM

Yeah actually for quite a while after the first IBM PCs they remained the exception rather than the rule.

Before going to law school I worked in the PR industry for a few years, starting in 1985, and we didn’t have a desktop computer. No internet, no email. We just had a phone and a Rolodex.

There were PCs but they were used mostly for spreadsheets back then, and word processing.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2022 4:14 PM

Back when music connected people and not modems and routers ...

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2022 4:21 PM

I am a computer nurd. In 1979 I was working for Warner Bros using a monster computer IBM 360 to pay royalties to singers.

We added a megabyte of memory to the computer in 1975 for $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2022 4:24 PM

In 1979, my after school job was as a keypunch operator.

I wonder what happened to all those machines?

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2022 4:26 PM

Money well spent R8, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2022 4:28 PM

R10 in 1979 Madge was just a street whore.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2022 4:31 PM

As opposed to now, r11?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2022 5:11 PM

Hey Ciccone, how much to put this twig in your cunt?

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2022 5:14 PM

First of all, the clothes were fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2022 6:46 PM

Anybody remember this day? I was temping in a Manhattan Law FIrm, everyone fucking freaking out......

Stock Market Crash of 1987

October 1987

The first contemporary global financial crisis unfolded on October 19, 1987, a day known as “Black Monday,” when the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 22.6 percent.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2022 3:10 AM

They should separate the men from the women.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2022 4:44 AM

There were rumors of an amazing machine called a fax.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2022 9:12 AM

We had one at my company and communicated with barges on the Mississippi River towing coal. Then sent their manifests.

Except back then we called it a "telefacsimile" and it took forever to do one page. And. you had to use special paper for it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2022 9:56 PM

If you wanted to change the font of your letter, you changed the ball on your IBM Selectric II.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2022 10:02 PM

^ fancy schmancy

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2022 10:22 PM

The Gestetner got ink all over my JC Penney pantsuit!

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2022 11:01 PM

There was so much sexual activity going on in the basement File Room that they had to post a hall monitor down there.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2022 11:05 PM

^ But he likes blow jobs as much as the rest of them fairies - so cover you eyes if you have to go looking for a file...

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2022 11:08 PM

Had to wear a shirt and tie every day. In the early 80s we had ‘casual Fridays’ and were allowed to wear jeans. If you showed up in jeans any other day you were sent home. I saw it happen. I miss those days. Simpler times and I think we were a lot happier.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2022 11:28 PM

That vest was very stylish and appropriate for the fondue/key party later that evening.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2022 11:35 PM

I used a telex machine to communicate with the main office in France.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2022 11:46 PM

"Hey Gertie, if I give you seventy five cents could you run down to the vending machine in the lobby and get me another pack of Barclays? This is my last one and I can't get out from behind this typewriter until I finish typing out all these invoices. The messenger will be here in less than an hour. Thanks, doll!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2022 12:09 AM

Three martini lunch!

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2022 12:13 AM

R25

In the 1970s, the "key party" became a popular phenomenon among swinging couples, where attendees would pick keys out of a bowl and go home with whoever's keys they picked. These types of sex swap parties still happen today, and are apparently very popular in the Silicon Valley.

Key party lore is exclusively heterosexual, women are not afforded sexual veto power, and men are guaranteed a partner with no chance of rejection

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2022 1:26 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2022 7:36 PM

R3 punch cards are one of the reasons my mother never went back to work after having me. Her big office skill was punch cards and by the time I got old enough for school nobody needed/wanted punch card experts any more.

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2022 7:40 PM

[quote]Who ever thought I'd use a Wang for a word processor?

We had Wang computers at a law firm where I clerked in the early '80s.

We had to evacuate the office once that summer because of an impending hurricane. The lead secretary reminded each of us: "Make sure you power off your Wang."

Of course, since we were 12 inside, we chortled.

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2022 7:43 PM

R32 sorry not office related but that reminded me about when I really was 12 and my church gave all the older kids NIV teen Bibles. At one point when discussing sex, it compared sex to a ham sandwich, so anytime anyone of us would hear the words ham sandwich we would laugh and people thought we were crazy. Like if someone’s mom asked if we wanted a ham sandwich for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote]it compared sex to a ham sandwich

It suggested mayo instead of mustard, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]R19 If you wanted to change the font of your letter, you changed the ball on your IBM Selectric II.

Wasn’t this Ginny from Billing’s favorite font? All her inter office memos looked like this (but on pink paper)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2022 8:43 PM

Ted said we're getting rid of all the typewriters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2022 9:47 PM

1984 isn't too far away, girls- Big Brother is watching!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2022 9:51 PM

Everywhere I worked in the late 70s early 80s it was IBM PCs, not Apple. I still remember that grinding noise the unit would make as it read the 8 inch floppy disks. Letter quality printers were so enormous they had to be on a separate table and used flywheels same as a typewriter. They were so noisy they would have huge clear plastic/plexiglass covers to cut down on the noise. The rigid, top-down IT Department control of today was non-existent. I remember a temp job at Pacific Bell where every manager was just ordering and installing whatever word processing program they liked, no consistency and not always compatible with each other even within the same department. You had to know a lot of different word processing programs.

by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2022 11:36 PM

[quote] I still remember that grinding noise the unit would make as it read the 8 inch floppy disks. Letter quality printers were so enormous they had to be on a separate table and used flywheels same as a typewriter.

Reading this brought back a lot of memories!

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2022 12:06 AM

Do you feel like you engaged more with your coworkers Bc people weren’t all distracted on their phones? Like did people have to actually talk to each other more?

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2022 12:12 AM

To an extent R40. Used to go out for long lunches a lot more in the pre-Internet days. But also there was a lot more time spent on the phone, which I hated.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2022 12:20 AM

“Have you seen Kramer vs Kramer yet? Dustin Hoffman was sooo sexy, I’d marry him and raise his child for him!”

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2022 12:35 AM

My office had a cable address. Still useful in the 70's and early 80's for reaching the States from then-telephonically challenged places. Otherwise you just shouted at the phone, hoping they heard you in Pakistan or Brasil.

We had Selectric typewriters with a selection of typeballs that IBM called "elements." And a small, somewhat reliable Xerox copier, because everything was on paper. Everything.

Parking was $2.00 a day. Good seats for Liza Minnelli were $12. Clubs kept playing the extended version of Donna Summers' "MacArthur Park" when you went out.

We'd just started talking about Patti Lupone as Evita.

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2022 1:41 AM

The metal-cased blue-and-silver Walkman TPS-L2, the world's first low-cost personal stereo, went on sale in Japan on July 1, 1979, and was sold for around ¥33,000 (or $150.00).[9] Though Sony predicted it would sell about 5,000 units a month, it sold more than 30,000 in the first two months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2022 1:54 AM

Working in law offices, I still remember the first time I saw letterhead with an email address in it. That was NEW!

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2022 4:12 PM

I love this thread. Keep going!

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2022 4:20 PM

If you wanted a diet soda out of the drink machine, you drank Tab.

Diet Coke wasn't introduced until 1982.

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2022 4:56 PM

Back then, every office had a lush, but she was the object of ridicule and friendship, rather than bustled off to an inpatient treatment program.

Bosses could grope and leer and be utter perverts with their subordinates, and face no real consequence.

You could smoke at your desk, and everyone did.

The work day started at 9am, not 8am.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2022 4:59 PM

And ended, R48, promptly at 5.

And yup, I remember Franny, the aging alkie who had a screwdriver or two for breakfast before she got to the office, a couple more to get her through the morning, and then drank her lunch at the bar next door. Thank god she took the train home. Driving would have been fatal sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 49July 14, 2022 5:32 PM

Poor Franny sounded like the kind of alcoholic who actually needed to drink during the day to prevent going into withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 50July 14, 2022 5:34 PM

R49 Atta Girl!

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2022 5:49 PM

In the late 1970s/early 1980s, I was doing layouts at in-house art departments and ad agencies, the old school way: T-square, triangles, rubylith overlays, Rapidiograph pens, stats of photos/art and the copy for the ads and editorials came from a print house! The components were then lated-out using rubber cement, the waxers came later.

In the places I worked, Macs were introduced for graphic design in the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2022 6:29 PM

Mandatory retirement age was 65. Bye Evelyn.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2022 6:40 PM

There was always some divorcée on staff named Lois, looking forward her next mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2022 7:16 PM

R50, R 51 Yeah, she was kinda useless by 2 in the afternoon.

I wasn’t there long enough to know for sure, but I think she’d fucked the owner’s father back in the day and the job was her reward. His son, the then-owner and later a famous criminal and asshole, had much younger and better-looking girlfriends. One of them was a cokehead before it was fashionable, but I never saw her stagger to the ladies room.

by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2022 7:18 PM

I worked in an art department where one of the cokeheads was actually snorting coke in the projector machine which the illustrators used to trace and enlarge the artwork to the specific sizes needed for the layouts.

In order to keep the office light out as they traced, the illustrators head and shoulders had to be covered with a large piece of black material, it was quite easy to hide doing coke when using that machine.

I knew the cokehead was snorting coke in the machine because she had no reason to use it, she wasn't an illustrator. The actual illustrators were always complaining about all the 'white powder' on the glass!

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2022 7:57 PM

R47 in 1979 you could drink Diet Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2022 10:48 PM

"You could smoke at your desk, and everyone did."

Not every office allowed it. My employer strictly regulated smoking, and did not allow it at your desk, ever. Smoking was limited to the employee cafeteria and employee lounges. It wasn't even allowed in hallways or bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2022 11:18 PM

About smoking, I've always wondered did people actually walk around malls and stores smoking, inside? Except for when we visited North Carolina, I never saw people smoking inside unless they were sitting in the smoking section. I got so used to saying non-smoking when we went out to eat I still sometimes say it, the young person at the podium always gives me a strange look. Because who smokes indoors anymore?

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2022 12:49 AM

Smoking was allowed in the corridors of malls. Benches had those big round ashtrays next to them. You couldn't smoke in the stores (as far as I can remember) but smoking was all over the corridors with people puffing away. In the Northeast, smoking in malls was banned around the mid-90s but in other regions of the country it was allowed for several more years.

It's crazy to think about this today. Imagine someone today sitting on a bench in a mall and puffing away on a cig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2022 12:55 AM

[quote]"You could smoke at your desk, and everyone did."

When someone complained about the woman sitting near them smoking, our office's solution was to get the smoker a "smoke-eating ashtray" which smelled worse than smoke and didn't even work.

The attitude was "We know Lori doesn't like smoke, but we can't tell Linda she can't smoke at HER OWN DESK."

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2022 12:58 AM

In the office I worked at in 1979 there was a switchboard operator.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2022 1:22 AM

And there was no such thing as voice mail.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2022 1:24 AM

R62 Did your desk also have an in/out basket? I always wondered how one was supposed to separate incoming items from outgoing ones.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2022 2:47 AM

In a big office (such as mine) mail was delivered around the offices on carts, not put into cubbyholes.

Interoffice mail was sent in sturdy letter- or legal-sized envelopes, the kind that were closed by winding a red string around a bobbin thing on the back. You were supposed to reuse these, so they'd have whole lists of crossed-out names on the front before it got to yours.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2022 2:52 AM

Imagine paying one or more fools just to wander around the office pushing a mail cart half the day. Hell, imagine getting so much paper mail that you had to hire people just to manage it as a core business function!

My modern workplace has one part-time mail clerk (a vulgar old crone), and a receptionist (sassy gay boy who dresses like a Froot Loop and can't be trusted with a bottled water) to handle all of those clerical tasks. I say we replace both of them with a touchscreen and a wicker basket inside the lobby doors. The only mail we get nowadays is chicken-scratch from senile seniors who think we're the gas company.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2022 2:56 AM

[quote] Back then, every office had a lush, but she was the object of ridicule and friendship, rather than bustled off to an inpatient treatment program.

The one in my office was a bottle blonde in her late 50s, as thin as the Parliament 100s she chained smoke and was a fixture at the fern bar off the lobby.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2022 2:57 AM

We had a phonebook, updated annually.

New hires were penciled in until the next one came out.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2022 2:59 AM

There were no modesty panels between urinals. That was great.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2022 4:27 AM

r65 a visual

10" x 13" Brown Kraft Button-and-String Inter-Departmental Envelopes

have Ginny order more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2022 4:35 AM

^^ my friend and I on different floors used to send notes back and forth in those every day, like kids in class : )

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2022 4:38 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2022 2:38 AM

There were three of us who controlled all the online information from the outside world.

- An executive assistant in Public Relations who had access to PR Newswire

- A paralegal in Corporate Law & Regulation who had access to LEXIS (then NEXIS).

- And then there was me, the Corporate Librarian in Planning & Engineering who had access to DIALOG.

We ran the place.

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2022 3:04 AM

My boss got a new car...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2022 3:16 AM

Pussy-bow blouses!

As we got into the 1980s, they switched from white, brown, beige, and patterns to jewel tones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2022 3:20 AM

R54 Lois should become a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2022 4:12 AM

I was taking punch tapes that had been pulled from a mechanical cash register and feeding them into a mainframe so the store chain would know how many polyester knit skirt sets were sold last week

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2022 5:01 AM

I'm Most Likely To 'Go Postal'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2022 5:11 AM

R65, ha, my workplace still uses those envelopes, complete with the crossed-out names.

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2022 5:46 AM

1979 memories after working hours!

Perhaps the most interesting experience I had with someone I met was with Joey, owner of a car dealership in Westchester County, who took me out on his boat in the town of Harrison on Long Island Sound. He picked me up on a Saturday morning in August 1979, and there were two children in the backseat of his car! It turns out he was married, and while he and I went out on the boat to "relax", his wife and kids were back at the boathouse.

Dennis was a Catholic priest from Douglaston, Queens, who I met through a personal ad in the Village Voice. Although I didn't meet him at the baths, I introduced him to the Club Baths on a Friday when it was "Buddy Night", and two gained admission for the price of one. Another fellow, Tom, a librarian from Scranton, PA, invited me to visit him, but with the caveat that since he lived with his father we'd have to have sex in his car in the garage. We spoke on the phone a few times but I didn't take him up on his invitation.

Bill was a guard at the US Embassy in Iran on Tehran's Teleghani Ave. I met him in the summer of 1979, just a few months before embassy personnel were taken hostage. Then there was Bruce (at first he told me his name was Rick), who was a chef at a restaurant on Cape Cod during the summer in Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard. On one date he came to my apartment and made Coq au vin, and showed me how to prepare asparagus. Phillip, who lived in Inwood in northern Manhattan, was the first black guy I was ever with.

Mel was a former copywriter at McCann Erickson and lived on Staten Island. I've only been to that borough a few times in my life, and the first time was to visit him. He took me to see the Broadway musical Whoopie and we also saw the Woody Allen film Manhattan. His was the first uncut cock I ever "encountered." One more thing - he was in his early 50s, my father's age.

Bill, originally from Milwaukee, was a temp at Touche Ross (before it became Deloitte Touche), and lived at an SRO on West 12th St. off 6th Ave. called the Ardsley House. He took me to the Russian Tea Room for dinner. He was smitten with me, but I wasn't ready for a serious relationship. His was the first of many hearts I've broken.

Don lived in Bethpage on Long Island and I visited him there on Memorial Day weekend 1979. Upon coming back on Sunday I went directly to the baths and ended up meeting Joe from Bensonhurst Brooklyn. On one of our dates we saw Alien in Times Square and while we were in the theater his car was towed. He had a share out in the Pines but he wouldn't take me because he didn't think I was ready.

by Anonymousreply 80August 17, 2022 2:14 PM

Tab? Diet Pepsi?? Fresca all the way, dude!

by Anonymousreply 81August 17, 2022 2:25 PM

1979: My first full year working in DC (after having moved there from CA in late '78.) I don't remember having computers in my government office (although there was some sort of way to have other people generate computer-printed reports) but we DID have this fabulous device: The LEKTRIEVER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 17, 2022 2:44 PM

Smoking at your desk

by Anonymousreply 83August 17, 2022 2:51 PM

I was a 2-pack-a-day smoker and smoked at my desk and at whatever restaurant we took clients to for lunch. I haven't smoked in over 30 years but I often wonder how many people might have suffered from second-hand smoke from working in the same office. It was unheard of to ask someone to put out a cigarette, especially a boss.

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2022 2:49 AM

I had a college job that involved typing out requisition or purchase orders in triplicate (or maybe even quadruplicate). It was different-colored "NCR" paper that was a technological improvement from inserting carbon paper between your copies.

If you made a mistake, you'd have to correct it on each copy. The office also had different-colored Liquid Paper for that task.

I was a horrible typist. Slow and lots of errors.

Yes, I was probably smoking cigarettes and drinking sodas. I don't even think I had my own desk. It was me and 3 other students just typing out these purchase orders.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2022 5:43 AM

When I worked for Blue Cross/Blue Shield they had a file clerk who filed alphabetically, if not always accurately: all the nuns were under "S" for "Sister."

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2022 3:32 PM

Here's some office broads sipping down sodium, followed by ME guzzling something hot and salty with a smile. I won an Oscar just a few years later!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2022 3:52 PM

In 1979 I worked for a bank after graduation from college. At that time there was little automation, but we had a huge computer that batch processed our financial data and ran our TSO (Time Sharing Option) terminals in our branches and head office departments. To run a new program, we had to submit JCL (job control language) punch cards to the computer input department and they would run the jobs, then call or send an interoffice message using a reusable envelope when the jobs completed. We didn't get email until the mid 80s and PCs shortly after.

Also in 1979, checks were manually encoded with the check amount, then sorted by bank. The checks passed through a machine (IBM 3890) that sorted, microfilmed and endorsed each check. The machine read the MICR encoding at the bottom of the check. A picture of this monster machine is pictured in the link below. Operating this machine was my part time job while I attended college.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2022 4:31 PM

In the early 80s I worked an office job in a hospital, and photocopying was done only in the "Copy Center." You'd take whatever you needed copied down there, attach a form to specify how many copies you wanted, single-sided or two-sided, paper color, etc and drop it into a basket. Later in the day, you’d go back down to see if your copies were ready. They always had one of these signs on display.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2022 5:27 PM

R89 That is amazingly specific, and seems perfectly described.

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2022 5:42 PM

R89 I worked in a hospital in 1979. One time a nurse asked me to grab some towels in the linen room, a large closet off the main corridor of a patient floor, because she was busy with a patient.

I opened the linen room door to see the naked butt of one of the residents pumping away with his pants around his ankles and the legs of one of the nurses in the air, her skirt almost over her head and shouting, "Give it to me! Give it to me!" I grabbed the closest pile of towels on a shelf and got out of there, speechless: not even composed enough to say "Pardon me." We all knew each other and it was never, ever mentioned again; oddly, given that we saw each other (fully clothed) every day.

BTW, I've never opened a closed door since then without knocking first.

by Anonymousreply 91August 22, 2022 6:02 PM

Op nobody wore clothing like that in 1979. Maybe 1970 but not by ‘79. You would have been laughed out of the office.

by Anonymousreply 92August 22, 2022 6:13 PM

R91 Was it at least a nice ass?

by Anonymousreply 93August 22, 2022 7:50 PM

[R89] I had that job more than once! A) high school summer work; and B) college ‘work study’ financial aid.😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 94August 22, 2022 7:57 PM

^in the copy room, we would sit around and b.s. the day away…copy projects were done at the “last minute” or you could wait ‘til later.

by Anonymousreply 95August 22, 2022 8:02 PM

R95 Some days, we don't let the line move at all. We call those "Weekdays."

by Anonymousreply 96August 22, 2022 8:02 PM

In the days before voice mails and e-mails, these pink "While You Were Out" notepads were used. This pad (in the link) must be modern because it has an option for "mobile" and "fax." But this is what that notepad looked like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 22, 2022 8:09 PM

R80, WTF does your 'after hours' sex life have to do with gay office life in 1979? 🥱 😴

Go start another thread on that topic.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2022 8:55 AM

So much married straight cock!

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2022 9:03 AM

Talk about smoking in the office? New computers were wheeled into the general office with ‘no eating’ signs hastily posted. Yet office smoker and general good time girl got to puff away and drop ash over the keyboards. I heard all about the unfairness of it all because I was the department’s ‘good listener’.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2022 9:13 AM

R100 One of our admins in the 80s was telling me once at a previous job she spilled coffee in the keyboard of one of those early word processors (AES maybe?). From that day on she stopped putting cream or sugar in her coffee at work, because that's what really messes up keyboards. Nowadays you can get a cheap keyboard for less than the cost of a Starbucks Venti.

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2022 9:26 AM

Jessica trades in her typewriter for a computer!! Her expression when she learns her hard drive has crashed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 4, 2023 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!