Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charmed, I'm sure

Why did people say this, back in the 1940's?

And what does it even mean??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 8:23 PM

They said a lot of stupid shit back turn. Especially black maids.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 5:15 PM

It means they don’t want to get to know you any more than they already do at the initial introduction, or assumes they know you better than they actually do, at the first introduction.

It can also mean that they simply accept you as one of their own, due to race, and social standing.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 5:18 PM

I assume you're a nice person until I find out differently according to my own objectives.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 5:29 PM

Enchanté, mais pas vraiment.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 7:48 PM

Charmed I’m sure = I could vomit just looking at you

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 10:41 PM

Perhaps a little Spanish influence? Encantado: I am pleased/delighted/charmed.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2022 7:00 AM

In films in which this expression is used, another expression, “WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!?”, is also typically used.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2022 7:17 AM

Good observation, R6.

Like enchante in French.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2022 7:24 AM

The only person I ever remember saying this was Wilma Flintstone,

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2022 1:18 PM

The black maid of Mildred Pierce did while in the kitchen frying chicken at Mildred’s Fine Foods.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2022 4:42 PM

This article states that it was used in movies for comedic reasons.

[Quote]This usage is clearly meant as something of a gentle laugh line; it nearly always indicates a character who is unsophisticated but would have us believe otherwise.

A commentator of the article claims this:

[Quote]It was originally used by royal princesses or young ladies of noble birth when a young man who might seek her hand in marriage when introduced by a mutual friend would say: “Charmed” ( meaning “I find you charming,“ and the lady would extend her hand to be kissed and say “I’m sure “

[Quote]Because of this it was later used in British , French and Russian upper class evening parties (a Soiree ) of the 19th/ early 20th century held at the mansions of the host and was used when a man and women were meeting for the first time upon being introduced. It was more or less flirtatious and flattering to the woman making her feel charming and that she was making a charming impression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2022 5:05 PM

Thank you, R11!!!

I couldn't figure out the "I'm sure" part.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!