Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cable TV Problem!

Yes, I still have cable. For the past four months, the sound and picture on ten or so channels don't synch. Two are horrendous, the others are not as bad but intolerable just the same. Of course they're the ones I watch most.

I've had box updates, and had techs out here three times to check the lines, signal, and change the cable boxes. They have no clue what it could be, one tech said he didn't notice the problem (right). It's worse at different times of the day. Note these cable lines have been up for decades and this is in a building, not a house.

Any ideas, DL experts?

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2022 6:35 PM

Can you switch providers? Or is there only 1 option for your building?

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 4:12 PM

Maybe somebody is tapping into your lline.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 4:14 PM

Sunspots

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 4:18 PM

Cable is quickly going under due to too many people having ended cable service due to streaming being more popular and cheaper. So, cable can't afford to update or upgrade its equipment and network. It's decaying and they don't have the money or staff to update or fit. It's a sinking ship, like anyone attempting to maintain landline service. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 4:24 PM

We had that same problem about 5-6 years ago. We solved it by getting rid of cable.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 4:26 PM

If only cable companies could swallow their pride and give customers what they want, perhaps they'd be profitable again. Who needs 800 channels playing Law and Order SVU???

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 4:34 PM

We only have cable and dsl here, how do you stream without the internet? We dropped comcast cable for just internet and of course the price goes up substantially.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 4:53 PM

R1, I could choose at least two others, Verizon being one of them. Problem is that Verizon probably comes through the same "tubes" as Optimum. This is a city area, and there is tons of stuff under the street such as all cable and electrical lines.

I've had Verizon twice - only for a couple of weeks at a time because their service sucks too, and the last time was ten years ago, long before streaming became the norm.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 4:56 PM

Tell your cable company that if they will not fix your problem you are closing your account. And follow through.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 4:59 PM

Does the problem seem to get worse after, say, you've had a couple afternoon drinks, OP? Why can no-one but you seem to notice the problem? Hmmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 5:03 PM

The only reason I keep cable, it's actually cheaper than paying for streaming services.

For $55 a month tax included, I get two DVR cable boxes, a modem, the Internet and four premium channels. This is from Spectrum. I live in a co-op complex. The board guaranteed Spectrum that everyone in the co-op complex would subscribe, then, we got a extremely low rate. The board signs 3 year contracts.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 5:06 PM

Another thing, when you call, the call goes all over the world (like it does with most companies), and I've had trouble getting customer service to understand the issue. The last one I spoke to Fri though I was complaining about not getting a few channels, and switched me to sales. He didn't understand what "synch" was.

Ha ha, R10. My neighbor saw it this morning at 9AM, neither of us were drinking.

Good for you, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 5:07 PM

If you have a smart TV and Spectrum, get a Roku. Then add their app and stream their channels. I used to get a lot of pixelation and that eliminated it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 5:28 PM

Op, get with the times and drop cable. What a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 5:40 PM

What's the cheapest monthly price to watch cable and streaming services?

How about just going to illegal websites?! Since EVIL went from CBS to Paramount+, I now simply watch it at one of those illegal websites.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote]If you have a smart TV and Spectrum, get a Roku. Then add their app and stream their channels. I used to get a lot of pixelation and that eliminated it.

You just buy the Roku device and no more monthly fees?

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 8:04 PM

Anyone know if Verizon is good?

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 8:13 PM

R8 Also, you're sure it's not the TV, right?

Assuming it's not and you don't want to cut the cord, your only option is to try switching cable providers. Optimum cannot fix the problem, end of story. It's actually surprising and good that you have two other choices.

I would try to make this Verizon's (or the other potential provider's) problem. Optimum may not be keeping their own equipment up to date even if they have switched your box out.

Call Verizon's (or other's) sales line which of course is the only line that ever picks up and tell them you are thinking of switching, what are the $$ benefits, etc. Tell them about the synch issues and have them come to install. They will sometimes match the install with a more experienced installer.

Until then, try to use your phone to record what you are watching when it goes out of synch. Always good to have evidence even if it is just 10 seconds of whatever is playing on your TV that you record from your phone while sitting on your sofa. Note the exact broadcaster/channels, too, so you can tell the installer.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2022 5:38 PM

If you're an Amazon Prime member, get a Firestick.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2022 6:12 PM

Thanks, R18, but It's on TWO TVs. Plus I've recorded some bad stuff on DVR (hadn't thought of that) to show them - if they ever come out again.

I'm wondering, does 4K programing change picture/sound? My TVs are 4 1/2 and six years old.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2022 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!