Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just watched season one of the ORIGIINAL Queer As Folk on Amazon Prime and...

...it's THOROUGHLY and UNABASHEDLY male! I love it! Brian is the best character to come along in a looooong time. This show would never fly today, with all the intimacy coordinators and script sensitivity zombies milling about.

For those who have seen the first season, how accurately do you think it portrays gay males? Are you pleased with the representation?

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 5:57 PM

i hated brown with a passion. still do. and didn't get why people thought he was sexy. i watched it as a young teenager and didn't want to be gay because i thought my life would be like theirs. turns out, luckily, it's not even close

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 4:09 PM

R1 *brian*

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 4:10 PM

OP, is that the original British Queer As Folk?

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 4:11 PM

R3 No, the American one.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 4:37 PM

for a mid-western gay in the 90s/2000s, it was fairly spot on....each archetype mirrored my friends group; we had a gay restaurant to hang out in; there was one prime gay bar we all went to; and the homophobia was real (the city rescinded their anti-gay ordinance in 2004, but until then bashings, as well as discriminations in jobs and housing were real!) This was the life Obergfell and Arthur experienced.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 5:04 PM

It's time to expose the scam of Amazon Prime Video.

Just started watching "Bates Motel", free with adds, on Prime, and I was at Season 2 Episode 4 when they blocked me without paying US$3 per episode.

I wouldn't start watching ANY series on Prime, because the scam is that once your hooked on the series and right in the middle of it, then they block you and require payment.

Note that Prime Members are ALREADY paying --- for the membership.

And the other scam is the sneaking in of goofy adds, when previously everything was add-free on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 5:31 PM

It's far more likely that the studios who own the rights to those programs are to blame R6

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 5:49 PM

I was a teenager when QAF came out and have always had a soft spot for the show because it was the first representation that gay guys could be masculine and sexual.

Not DL's bizarre definition of masculine, but rather "not overly femme" the way characters like Will and Jack and so many other gay characters on TV were.

Ted and Ben and the chiropractor were just regular guys, not overly femme or flamboyant.

But Brian was a whole other league. He was a player, the guy who seduced all the other guys and exerted his sexual charisma. That was new to me-- an aggressively masculine and sexual gay man who seduced guys the way straight men seduced women --so unlike other gay characters who used their feminine wiles to seduce guys.

I desperately wanted to be Brian when I grew up

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 5:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!