Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Had Ruth Bader Ginsburg Retired Under Obama

Wouldn’t the recent ruling been 5-4? It wouldn’t have changed the result, right? Or am I missing something? I see all these people online blaming her.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 2:02 PM

It wouldn't have changed anything. It would still be a majority conservative vote.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 1:44 PM

I blame her and the situation that the democrats put themselves in where Obama couldn't appoint a justice in his final year. IDGAF about procedure when you had Trump using a sharpie to force his will. Democrats are weak. I am not a troll, troll-dar me. Fuck this country.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 1:44 PM

Dumb ol broad with a massive fucking ego

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:45 PM

We don't need another thread on this. My God, people. Are none of you able to simply comment in one of the many already-active threads?

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:47 PM

But r2, would the result of Roe have been any different? It still would have been a 5-4 decision, right?

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 1:47 PM

R1 is wrong. Yes, it would have. Coney Barrett would not be on the court; another Obama appointee would. The vote to uphold Dobbs would have fallen to 5-4 restricting abortion to 15 weeks but the vote to overturn Roe and Casey would have reversed to 4-5 as Roberts had already joined Sotomayor, Kagan, and Breyer so the Coney Barrett substitute would have been the 5th to uphold precedent.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 1:48 PM

Roberts said he thought a more measured result was better, but given the certainty of the outcome at 5 - 4 due to Barrett's presence on the court, and pressure from everyone (the Federalists and the antiabortion crowd), he had to concur with the majority or face their wrath.. He's trying to salvage what little he has left as the titular Chief Justice.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 1:54 PM

Except that didn't happen, R7. He already voted with the minority not to overturn. Only concurring on Dobbs. There would have been no wrath to dissent on both.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 1:56 PM

[quote]Coney Barrett would not be on the court

Based on what? There still would have been an opening and Trump would have put her on.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 2:02 PM

There would not have been an opening, R9, because RBG would have retired in 2010 and been replaced then with a young liberal justice who would have remained on the court.

Why don't you made a big calendar and put all the faces on it with their time on the Court and the Presidents in power? Clearly this is difficult for you.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 2:12 PM

The Mississippi ban at 15 weeks would've been upheld, but Roberts was not along for the ride for overruling Roe, so women would still have a federal right to an abortion by a vote of 5-4 if RBG had been replaced by an Obama appointee.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 2:20 PM

R11, you don’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 1:20 PM

Things would have been different had a) RBG retired under Obama, and b) had Obama played hardball with McConnell to seat Merrick Garland on the Court via recess appointment in 2016. Instead, the Dems let Mitch take their lunch money again and now we’re here.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 2:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!