Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Here's to hoping that Roberts becomes another Blackmun

Roberts voted with the liberal justices on Roe.

Blackmun was appointed by Nixon, but ultimately became one of the most liberal justices.

Anita Hill must get tired of saying "I told you so" to people.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2022 4:01 PM

What the fuck are talking about??

Roberts voted with the majority you idiot. 6-3.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 1:01 PM

No, he didn't vote with the liberal justices on Roe. He objected to the sweeping overturn, but he sided with the majority, 6-3. The numbers don't lie. He most assuredly did NOT side with the liberals, ultimately.

What is this alternative facts bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 1:01 PM

If he had sided with the liberals, it would have been 5-4, not 6-3. As for him being another Blackmum, he's a lame duck justice. He's outnumbered by his own even more far-right side. The NY Times refers to him now as a "marginal" figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:05 PM

The ruling in support of Dobbs v. Jackson was 6-3, while the ruling overturning Roe v. Wade was 5-4.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:51 PM

And ultimately, when it was published as a decision, it was 6-3. They didn't have two decisions, they had one, and he's on record as siding with the majority.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 1:55 PM

I'm not trying to rehabilitate Roberts.

I'm grasping at straws since he's the only one of those idiots to have broken ranks in any way, shape, or form.

My point is that he's the only one who might break ranks if Biden or another Dem president could place one justice, rather than two which seems unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 1:59 PM

Roberts tried to play both sides.

He voted with the liberals on Roe but with conservatives on the state matter.

He pretends not to be conservative Christian activist because it is in the interests of the conservative Christian domination of the Supreme Court to convince the public that it is not an arm of the GOP. It is. And he is an agent of the GOP, just the old-fashioned kind instead of the blatantly hypocritical and blatantly biased Trump-era kind.

This is a court that will revoke all the civil and human rights it can get away with while transferring power to the executive office to create a dictator once a conservative Christian is installed in the executive office. Make no mistake. You can yell at me now and come back and read this in eight years when we are a country run like the Taliban.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 2:08 PM

"You can yell at me now and come back and read this in eight years when we are a country run like the Taliban."

If that's the case, R7, I guess we won't be able to come back here and read it in 8 years, since the Taliban probably allows no internet.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 2:10 PM

"while transferring power to the executive office to create a dictator once a conservative Christian is installed in the executive office.'

How wouldthe Supeme Court suddenly have the authority to transfer power to the executive office? They didn't do this a couple years ago when Trump tried to stay in office. They rejected it.

I do agree with you that SCOTUS will dismantle same-sex everything, and maybe even, incredibly, access to contraception.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 2:13 PM

R8 "Like the Taliban" doesn't = "exactly the same as the Taliban in every way."

Remember likeness/similarity vs. sameness/congruence from basic geometry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 2:14 PM

You're bringing geometry into this, R10?

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 2:15 PM

R11 Geometry is the scaffolding for everything in our world. No need to bring it in. It's always here.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 2:17 PM

And yet bring it in you did, R12. To the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 2:19 PM

Anyway, I don't see the Taliban in the future for us.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote]Anyway, I don't see the Taliban in the future for us.

That's because you're an idiot. That you think it can't happen here, is how countries fall. This country is no exception. You think these religious fanatics just stop? You think religious fanaticism only applies to those "brown people" because you think simply being white and Christian makes them less of a threat? They taste blood, idiot. They aren't stopping. If anything, they are now more emboldened to go further. They've already chipped away at the separation of church and state - which only applies to Christianity.

Your ignorance when it comes to human nature, is why this country will in fact end up like the Taliban.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 2:40 PM

Oh yes, the justice married to the wife who literally worked for an anti-abortion org., will become liberal.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 2:44 PM

Look cunt, R15, I said I expected them to dismantle a lot of the decisions they've made. To take the leap that we'll all be living under Taliban-like rule shows a complete ignorance of the fundamental nature of American entitlement, for one thing. Your slobbering overreaction shows you're unhinged.

First, it's a big, fucking country of 350 million. There are 50 states. There are numerous very large cities. Geographically speaking, the country is far too large and people are far too disorganized and interested only in themselves to submit to a theocracy, which is what you see in your bug-eyed view of things. I don't make any grandiose assumptions about the future of the Republic, but nor do I think we're going to devolve into a police state because of 6 SCOTUS justices. There are other branches of government you blithely ignore as well. To baldly state all that will be wiped away in 8 years shows that you have no sense of how Americans think and act. I'm not givig them credit--far from it. But to assume everyone will fold is ludicrous.

Now cunt off, you fucking gash.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote] The ruling in support of Dobbs v. Jackson was 6-3, while the ruling overturning Roe v. Wade was 5-4.

You are correct. Roberts wrote a separate opinion indicating he concurs with the judgement of the case, but not the reversal of Roe. He did not join Alito’s opinion. Alito’s opinion, which is the “opinion of the Court”, had five votes.

[quote] ALITO, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS, GORSUCH, KAVANAUGH, and BARRETT, JJ., joined. THOMAS, J., and KAVANAUGH, J., filed concurring opinions. ROBERTS, C. J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., filed a dissenting opinion.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 2:53 PM

And ultimately, the ruling was 6-3. There were NOT 2 separate decisions, there was ultimately one. Paint it however you like, but the headlines say it all: ROE OVERTURNED 6-3. No amount of whitewashing changes the fact that Roberts sided with the other 5 in the decision that led to a complete reversal of Roe.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] The court, in a 6-3 ruling powered by its conservative majority, upheld a Republican-backed Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The vote was 5-4 to overturn Roe, with conservative Chief Justice John Roberts writing separately to say he would have upheld the Mississippi law without taking the additional step of erasing the Roe precedent altogether.

Roberts voted against overturning Roe and in favor of upholding the Mississippi anti-abortion law. So he basically played both sides so he can claim that he did not vote to overturn a superprecedent. His concern is about keeping up appearances that Republican-appointed justices are not GOP agents, but he's transparently complicit and he should be ashamed of himself.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 3:02 PM

Agree, R20. He wants it both ways and he ends up neutered, with no authority whatsoever. That's what trying to play both sides gets him.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 3:05 PM

R19 That’s simply not true. While Roberts agreed with a state’s (Mississippi) ability to restrict abortion to 15-weeks of pregnancy or earlier in Dobbs, he did NOT sign on to the overturning of Roe. You’re reading the headlines wrong or not understanding the way these judicial decisions work. The overturning of Roe was a 5-4 decision.

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 3:06 PM

R22: from NPR: "Joining the Alito opinion were Justice Clarence Thomas, appointed by the first President Bush, and the three Trump appointees — Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett. Chief Justice John Roberts, appointed by President George W. Bush, concurred in the judgment only, and would have limited the decision to upholding the Mississippi law at issue in the case, which banned abortions after 15 weeks. Calling the decision 'a serious jolt to the legal system,' he said that both the majority and dissent displayed 'a relentless freedom from doubt on the legal issue that I cannot share.'"

So, to repeat, Roberts "concurred in the judgment only," nevertheless siding with the other 5 for the "judgment" to overturn Roe v. Wade. So yeah, he helped overturn it completely. Even worse, he held himself above the majority and the dissent by sniping both sides had "a relentless freedom from doubt on the legal issue that I cannot share." He's a limp, useless justice who placed himself above the fray.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 3:16 PM

No, once again, it was 5-4 to overrule Roe, 6-3 to uphold the Mississippi ban at 15 weeks. When it says concurred in the judgment, that is with regard to the bottom line of reversing the decision of the 5th Circuit below, which struck down the 15 week ban. Roberts did NOT join in overruling Roe. Roe was overruled by a vote of 5 to 4. Period.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 3:26 PM

PERIOD!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 3:29 PM

So, a few comments on the OP.

A few differences between Blackmun and Roberts.

Blackmun didn't just join the liberals on Roe, he authored it. Thus more sensitive to the extremist backlash.

Roe occurred early in Blackmun's time on the Court. Roberts has been there forever and is used to backlash from crazies.

Roberts already had his Roe of sorts - upholding Obamacare. He's become slightly more moderate since then, but has not become a liberal.

So, I see little reason to think Roberts will become a Blackmun.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 3:30 PM

Until the extremist wing is cut down from 6-3, which won't happen anytime probably in the next few decades, Roberts will remain ineffectual.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2022 3:33 PM

*Until the extremist wing is cut down from 6, which won't happen anytime probably in the next few decades, Roberts will remain ineffectual.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2022 3:34 PM

Roberts always says the perfect things about the Supreme Court but he does not practice what he preaches. He sides with liberals when conservatives have enough of a majority to win without his vote. He uses his vote as a strawman demonstration of the court being more balanced than it is, and to falsely demonstrate that conservatives on the court like him judge each case on its own merits and not according to party interests. But as he does this, all the other conservative justices vote accoeding to party interests and revoke civil liberties while he claims the SCOTUS is impartial.

Republicans may reject formal education but they must not be underestimated. They are strategically intelligent, always pulling wool over Democrats' and independents' eyes and getting them to believe it's raining while the Republicans are peeing on them.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2022 3:36 PM

Robert’s decision is like “being a little bit pregnant”

Useless.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2022 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!