Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you know that you can get an Internet Library Card?

And then you can take out books from the internet library, for 21 days?

Why didn’t you bitches tell me this? Now I can borrow books on my Kindle and don’t need to go to an actual library most times.

This is pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 4:43 PM

Well, you have to go to your library to get a regular library card.

But among the benefits of that, once you set up online access, is borrowing ebooks. I do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 4:14 AM

R1 now you don’t need to go get a physical library card. You can sign up for an e-book library card now. It’s strictly for e-books and expires after one year, then you must renew.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 4:17 AM

R2 That might be the case at your library. Mine made me come in briefly. They did give me a temp 90 day one during a COVID surge and then I went in to get the card.

Our library also has Freegal, which lets you download 5 free songs a week.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 5:03 AM

R3 that’s cool.

It’s not a library thing, it’s based on your branch. In Brooklyn, you can sign up for a physical card online now and have it shipped to your place, or you can go into the library, or get an e-library card. It’s pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 5:06 AM

R3 see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 5:08 AM

Also: see if your library card works with Kanopy and/or Hoopla online. If it does, you can "borrow" movies & TV shows to stream for free.

Kanopy, especially, has a terrific selection, including many gay-themed titles.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 5:11 AM

R6 thanks! Gonna check

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 5:18 AM

I started doing that during quarantine, I signed up for my library card online and never had to go in a library. I take out books every week and when new books are coming out I put them on Hold so I can be one of the first to read them.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 7:10 AM

I usually use the Libby app with my library, but you can also read them on Kindle

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 7:11 AM

R9 I use the Libby app to take out the books and then it gives you the option to read on kindle, so I do.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 12:34 PM

Are you sure, R4? My card expired and it said I have to go in with a bill to renew. I just did the e-card instead.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 3:04 PM

Each city/area has their own branch.

Brooklyn Libraries are a separate branch from New York (Manhattan) libraries. If I get a Brooklyn library card it doesn’t work in Manhattan libraries. I would have to sign up for theirs also, and vice versa.

Library cards and their websites aren’t universal.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 3:08 PM

Also, NYC library cards aren’t eligible on Kanopy yet.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 3:09 PM

[quote]NYC library cards aren’t eligible on Kanopy yet.

New York Public Library used to offer Kanopy, but they dropped it several years ago. Ditto Queens and Brooklyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 3:35 PM

Yes r14, it’s not in any of the boroughs. It’s available in parts of Long Island and upstate though, as well as all the neighboring states

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 3:38 PM

it is pretty amazing. I still like the feel of flip through pages though.

You can also get digital magazines, new york times. So if you are ever bored, you can do this with your device.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 3:41 PM

Each borough has their own library card. My ex had a Bronx one (where she was originally from and she would go all the time to visit her mom), a Brooklyn one (where she now lived, and a couple of blocks from a library) and a NYC (Manhattan) one (where she worked and would go to the library there sometimes after work).

I always wondered why they never made a universal one for all 5 boroughs, but I get why.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 3:44 PM

on libby app: what happens on the 21 day? are your selections just deleted automatically? Or do you have to do something?

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 3:45 PM

R16 I was actually HIGHLY against digital books/magazines/newspapers for YEARS. I guess that’s partly why I didn’t realize library branches had online books now.

I am someone who likes the physical pages. But I am slowly warming up to the idea of digital reading.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 3:46 PM

I like reading in bed, and I do not like digital in bed. It's okay for articles, newspapers and magazines. It's a get option, lots of selections.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 3:49 PM

I didn’t like reading digitally because, A. I like flipping pages and the smell of books, and B. It hurts my eyes after a while.

The good thing about the kindle app is you can make the page black with the letters white. That doesn’t hurt my eyes. But if it’s white with black letters, yikes.

The Apple Books used to be strictly white pages with black lettering until a few years ago when they finally updated it so you can change the page color to black, gray, or that yellowish color. But it still hurts your eyes more there than with the kindle app despite it being the same screen, for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 3:53 PM

Given my damaged eyes my Kindle gave me back reading for pleasure, and library ebook loans are awesome.

OP, which internet library are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 3:57 PM

R22 I am using Libby with my Brooklyn library card

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 4:10 PM

Thanks for the share OP! I quit driving several years ago so I could never make it down to my local library to renew my card.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 4:38 PM

Google whatever city or area you are in and library card online, something will pop up.

I typed “online sign up Brooklyn library”.

My friend told me Seattle moved to mostly online libraries over 12 years ago. The rest of the country was late on that lol.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 4:41 PM

R5 I wasn't doubting you, but as other replies have stated some libraries are more strict than others about granting the library card access.

But yes, it's worth it anyway.

As someone else mentioned, some libraries also have access to Kanopy. This is an app I have loaded on Apple TV and you can get up to 8 free movies a month - these are more artsy fartsy movies but also things you'd be unlikely to see elsewhere.

Most libraries are using Libby/OverDrive for books. Don't expect that they have every SINGLE thing out there, or exactly what you'd find on Amazon. They are pretty good with popular titles, for sure. I've read a few books that way recently - bios by Carol Burnett, Randy Rainbow and Molly Shannon, to name a few.

A note: please support local libraries. If you do little donations here and there to the humane society etc please put the library on your list, too.

I'm doing genealogical research and various locations have come through for me SO many times!

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 4:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!