Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ultrawealthy Americans are flocking to get ‘golden visas’ in Europe amid political turmoil

It seems as if the chaos and general bleakness of life in the U.S. is just too much to deal with. The ongoing pandemic, the higher cost of living, increased political division, and a climate disaster have all fostered a sense of general malaise.

And now that the Supreme Court's decision to reverse Roe v. Wade has been finalized, more Americas may be googling other options.

The American Dream used to stand for a job with a loyal employer, homeownership (often accompanied by a white picket fence), and your own set of wheels. The pandemic has given Americans the Great Resignation, a housing market that won’t stop appreciating and a used-car and gas price crisis amid 40-year-high inflation.

Maybe the villas of Portugal or beaches of Greece would be more appealing—or at least warmer. If you're one of the ultra-wealthy, leaving your pool and hot tub behind for such a life seems to increasingly beckon.

As life in America becomes more stressful and expensive, U.S. citizens have been investing in a “Golden Visa,” a program in which purchasing a second home in a different country entitles buyers to a second passport or a pathway to citizenship.

Interest in investing in international property grew sixfold among U.S. clientele in 2019 to 2021, according to a new report titled “The Great American Exodus” by passporting firm Get Golden Visa, which predicts 2022 to be “its busiest year yet.” The report found that politics, travel restrictions, a higher cost of living, and the desire to work remotely abroad have sent the ultrawealthy clamoring for second passports that range anywhere from €280,000 to €500,000.

Get Golden Visa managing partner Murat Coskun tells Fortune he’s predicting a “golden visa frenzy” this year, with second passports becoming so popular that even the less wealthy will start to get their hands on them.

The requirements for a second passport depend on the program and country. Consider the increasingly popular hotspot of Portugal, which requires people looking for a second residency to invest in either properties, a specific type of fund, or a donation in exchange for a residence permit and, eventually, citizenship.

Coskun said many Americans don’t end up giving up their U.S. citizenship and view the program more as a Plan B.

“They have no intention of living here full-time,” he says. “But they want to have the optionality; they want to have some sort of global mobility.”

That sentiment ran strong across America after elections and other breaking political news elicited a chorus of “I’m moving to Canada” across Twitter. According to the Get Golden Visa report, social and political unrest was the top motivator for applicants, at 42%. Coskun says that Get Golden Visa saw a spike in the number of applicants from both political parties during the election.

Americans also wanted to avoid travel restrictions during lockdown, something they weren’t used to. “Normally, with an American passport, you pretty much can access most of the countries in the world, visa-free,” says Coskun. Inflation and remote work are sending the ultrawealthy packing

As travel restrictions ebb, the need for a more flexible visa has become harder to justify. But inflation and remote work have been keeping golden visas in business.

Just over a quarter of prospective applicants from the U.S. said in the report that inflation and higher tax rates were a major reason for their interest in Golden Visas. Coskun also points out that retirement is easier in other countries that have cheaper health insurance

Paying half a million euros to avoid an extra pricy banana might seem counterintuitive, but even rich people seem to have anxieties about the rising cost of living. While inflation is a global phenomenon, one can live slightly larger in Portugal than in New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2022 9:24 PM

There’s also the romance of travel and charm of another country, which is easier to enjoy now that knowledge workers are no longer chained to their office desks. Get Golden Visa has seen applicants from digital nomads, which could signal the longevity of the work-from-home (or work-from-Europe) model. Coskun says a better work-life balance in these countries, where residents work fewer hours than Americans do, appeals to them.

Less romantic but equally enticing is the fact that a residency abroad helps the ultrawealthy diversify their investments, Coskun says.

But residing abroad doesn’t mean tax breaks for Americans, who still have tax obligations even if they spend a year outside the U.S. “The U.S. is one of the few countries in the world that imposes worldwide taxation on your income, regardless of where your residency is,” Coskun says.

It’s difficult to know whether increased interest in second passports will be more than a fad. Coskun believes Americans will continue to seek second passports in the coming years, even though the industry's success seems to be tied to the pandemic and unrest—a fickle motivator to bank on.

But Coskun says global mobility will become more relevant. “The pandemic basically put this on steroids—it was bound to happen, but it just got accelerated,” he says. “Now everybody knows that remote work is possible.”

That means what was once a status symbol among the elite could become more accessible to the upper middle class. Coskun admits that the industry used to only “cater to a very few people that had extremely high wealth,” but argues that services have expanded to mid-income clients.

“I really believe this is going to be democratized,” he says. “In the sense that that location fluidity is going to stop being a luxury for just the very few, it's going to be an option for everyone.”

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 1:45 AM

Oh, please. These people can live in liberal areas. It has no impact on them at all. These are people who aren't even attached to America but see themselves as citizens of the world. Let them leave.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 1:49 AM

I would gladly move if I could.

Unfortunately, I'm not "ultra wealthy."

Sucks being poor.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:49 AM

R2, this is only the beginning. We’re going to be left with no rights soon. Shootings all over the place, no healthcare, infrastructure falling down, insurrections, the country is a mess and has no chance of fixing itself now for at least a lifetime. People are completely over it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:52 AM

This isn't a new phenomenon, despite the headline being changed to get clicks due to Roe vs. Wade being overturned.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 1:52 AM

Just like their counterparts have from RUssia and China. Good luck affording shit thanks to the global oligarchy.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 1:52 AM

Well isn't that what that German cunt did with New Zealand? Thiel gets to set fires in the US and just walk away when convenient. I really hope a trick tortures him to death.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 1:54 AM

Liberal areas have a shit ton of crime, taxes, and drama R2.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 1:55 AM

America never recovered from electing a black man president.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 1:55 AM

Actually the crime statistics in blue states are lower than most red states (look it up R8)

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 1:58 AM

Not talking states. Talking BIG SHITTIES

Comparing like, Honolulu with Chicago lol

Or Montpelier with Philadelphia 🙄

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 2:01 AM

And if you still have remote American clients while living in Europe you get all your work done before they clock in and you're only available until noon ET. Makes for great work-life balance.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 2:03 AM

Isn't Europe just as expensive and divided as the US, though?

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 2:06 AM

Europe is a continent, not a country, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 2:08 AM

Not expensive in Portugal, Spain, Greece. Portugal also less politically polarized. Spain has Vox but the far edges are receding and center left/right resurging (PSOE, PP), and Greece is perpetually dysfunctional but it's kind of baked in.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 2:10 AM

The fact that R8 already has five likes and R10 got crossed out, tells me DL is again overrun by right-wing parasites.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 2:12 AM

Hilarious. Most countries in Europe have far higher inflation and much stricter abortion laws.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 2:14 AM

Why do you think be so built that 500mill boat. So he’s safe from the dirty masses.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 2:17 AM

R16 it's one poster. Apparently a very sensitive one.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 2:18 AM

I liked Portugal and could definitely see living there, however it being overrun with Americans would lowers the appeal. The US is a depressing, angry place now so I can’t blame anyone wanting to get out.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 2:27 AM

Hungary is a cool place.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 2:27 AM

R21 = Fucker Carlson

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 2:28 AM

I've got a golden ticket!

I've got a golden ticket!

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 4:41 PM

Will one of these ultra wealthy Americans please hire me as their personal assistant?

I want out, too.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 4:49 PM

I love how it's the ultra wealthy who have caused all of the social problems in this country, and then when everything turns to SHIT, they're the first (and only) ones to bail out and say "See ya, suckers!"

I hope they all die horrible deaths.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 4:52 PM

Wealthy liberals flee too!

The vast majority of clients… get it because it’s an insurance policy. It’s a Plan B,” said Dominic Volek, head of private clients for the investment migration consultancy Henley & Partners. “Wealthy people, they want the option.

“I would say one out of five clients that I’ve spoken to out of the U.S. in the last two years has told me that they’re planning on renouncing their citizenship in the next five to 10 years,” said Armand Tannous, vice president at Apex Capital Partners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2022 1:56 PM

I know at least two people who are seriously considering the Golden Visa option in Portugal

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2022 3:07 PM

I'm considering a retirement visa in Portugal. You only need a passive income of $8600/year to get one. I'd rather go to Spain because I speak a bit of Spanish, but the income level for a retirement visa there is closer to 30K, which I don't have (yes, I'm poor).

I'm waiting to decide after the November elections. If the Congress goes GQP, baby, I'm outta the US by hook or by crook.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2022 3:17 PM

And what do the Portuguese think about all this? Any P in here?

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2022 3:27 PM

And the really super-rich are stayng but going underground. Will they be the Mortlocks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2022 3:33 PM

This is bullshit. Ultra wealthy Americans already have at least dual citizenship. Most ultra wealthy are, in fact, not born in America.

If you have citizenship in any Schengen country you don’t need a visa. Ireland will give you citizenship if one grandparent was born there. Some other countries do the same.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2022 3:43 PM

These Americans don’t share the culture of views of these countries. They end up being as loathed there as they do in their home country.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2022 4:06 PM

Oh look!

An article about a "study" produced by a firm that helps Americans get "golden visas" concludes that "Golden Visas Are Hot!"

Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2022 4:10 PM

R28 The way the Euro is dropping you may qualify for Spain if you wait just a bit.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2022 7:43 PM

Murat from "Get Golden Visas" says that the Roe v Wade decision is primarily responsible for what he predicts will be a "frenzy" in wealthy people using his services.

Why would the Roe v Wade decision prompt them to move to Europe, which has far stricter abortion laws across all countries than the liberal states in the US?

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2022 7:47 PM

While Europe has stricter abortion laws, it also has universal healthcare, so people can find out early if they're pregnant AND easily get access to contraceptives.

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2022 8:19 PM

I don't think it's just the ultrawealthy. The upper middle class can benefit.

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2022 8:20 PM

Because it's not a real survey or real article R35

These sorts of PR pieces are quite common

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2022 8:51 PM

Compare Montpelier to Philadelphia? Why not compare Palm Springs to Beirut?

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2022 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!