Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brian Laundrie's notebook show he wrote 'I ended her life, I thought it was merciful'

Brian Laundrie's notebook, recovered from a Florida swamp by the FBI, appears to include a confession that he was the one who killed Gabby Petito.

"I ended her life," the notebook said, Fox News reported Friday. "I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock."

He wrote that he chose to kill her after she injured herself from a fall in Wyoming.

"From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her," Laundrie wrote, according to the Fox News images.

Laundrie and Petito set out on a cross-country road trip in fall 2021 that ended in both of their deaths. They had heavily documented their travels on social media, and it was made public that Petito went missing on September 11.

Laundrie returned home to his parents' house in Florida until he, too, went missing on September 13. Shortly after, he was named a person of interest in Petito's death.

Petito's body was found at a remote campsite in the Bridger-Teton National Forest on September 19. Her cause of death was unclear at first, but nearly a month later, the Teton County coroner said Petito's cause of death was strangulation.

It wasn't until October 21 that authorities found remains confirmed to be Laundrie's in Florida's Carlton Reserve. They also recovered a backpack full of his things, including the notebook.

A medical examiner on November 23 ruled Laundrie's death a suicide.

"I Loved you more than anything," the note — which is addressed to "Gabby" — in Laundrie's notebook continued, according to Fox News' images.

"I can't bear to look at our photos, to recall great times because it is why I cannot go on," he wrote. "When I close my eyes I will think of laying on the roof of the van, falling asleep to the sight of a meteor shower at the crystal geyser. I will always love you."

He apologized to "everyone this will affect," namely Petito's family, whom he wrote he "loves," Fox News reported.

"Please do not make this harder for them. This occurred as an unexpected tragedy," Laundrie wrote.

In the note, Laundrie described the injury he said Petito suffered, saying that he heard a "splash and a scream" near where they were camping in Utah, where Laundrie said temperatures were below freezing.

When he said he found her in the water, he said she was "freezing cold" and had "a small bump on her forehead that eventually got larger." He said he tried to carry her to safety but was unsure where their car was parked and that Petito wouldn't let him carry her back across the creek she fell into.

He described lying with Petito, who would get angry whenever Laundrie shook her awake from sleep, he said, because he was fearful she had a concussion.

He said he did not know the extent of her injuries, "only that she was in extreme pain."

Laundrie wrote that he then "rushed home to spend any time I had left with my family."

He added that he considered driving north to where Petito's family lived and letting her stepdad or brother kill him as "I'm sure they would have liked to."

"I am ending my life not because of a fear of punishment but rather because I can't stand to live another day without her. I've lost our whole future together, every moment we could have cherished," Laundrie wrote at the end of his note, Fox News reported.

"I'm sorry for everyone's loss. Please do not make life harder for my family, they lost a son and a daughter. The most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I'm sorry," he added.

"I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that animals may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy," Laundrie wrote. "Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2022 10:45 AM

I have to remember to remind my love ones that if I fall into a creek, to please take me to a hospital instead of strangling me.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 1:23 AM

Lol R1.

Strangely enough, I actually believe his story.

But clearly, he was mentally disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 1:25 AM

He couldn’t find his car so he couldn’t drive to the hospital. And there was no cell service. What was he supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:28 AM

Why didn't I think of that?

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:28 AM

Not kill her. And wait for morning.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 1:29 AM

Lying sack of shit

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 1:29 AM

Liar.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 1:35 AM

Saint Brian.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 1:37 AM

R5, easy for you to say since you weren’t there. She would have been dead by morning.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 1:38 AM

If anything ever deserved this response, this line of BS does

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 1:39 AM

I still think he’s out there.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 1:42 AM

R9 = Mrs. Laundrie

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 1:43 AM

Her body would have had signs of trauma from a fall and it would have been clear that the injuries had happened before she died. Never saw any mention of this.

Not buying it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 1:47 AM

Even in death he is a bad liar. Hope he makes good fertilizer.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 1:49 AM

Wait, people are actually believing this story?

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 1:51 AM

What a lying sack of shit, just like all abusers/murderers.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 6:24 AM

What a loon.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 7:40 AM

He thought it was merciful? Did he think he was God? I think he's a liar, an abuser and a coward.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 8:05 AM

As I recall, we had psychos on DL who were convinced that he was innocent.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 8:18 AM

I loved how when this was all over the news we had countless posts that basically boiled down to "well she seemed really annoying and basic so maybe it's okay that he killed her". Classic DL

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 1:28 PM

"Teton County". Teton means "Boob" in french. It should be renamed to "Boob County".

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 1:36 PM

Haha R21.

The mountain range is called the "Grand Tetons," so whoever named them must have thought that the mountains looked like "Great Tits."

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 4:32 PM

this would make a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 4:35 PM

Straight men are sick

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] this would make a good movie.

It would, but with this new revelation of the notebook, would they try to portray Brian Laundrie as a sympathetic character now?

With the final scene showing him crying and saying how much he loves Gabby, while he strangles her to death?

I don't think her family would be happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 4:38 PM

of course! drama! paradox!

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 4:40 PM

It takes real commitment to plot to continue your lies and attempted cover-up after you've offed yourself. Most people probably wouldn't bother to plan that far ahead.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2022 5:26 PM

"And after I unselfishly ended her misery, I thought it best to bury her in a shallow grave, and hide the painful truth from Gabby's parents."

Lied himself into his own grave.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2022 7:14 PM

Poor girl, she looked so sweet. Sounds like this guy was trying to rewrite history.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2022 7:35 PM

And you know this because, R9? You weren't there either. You don't know that she would have been dead by morning. The medical examiners who performed her autopsy refute his claims. Even Laundrie himself, in his note (which you clearly believe. I don't), says he didn't know the extent of her injuries, and that he panicked and made a mistake in killing her.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2022 1:47 PM

All I can imagine is when the limited series gets made they are going to need to pull a Staircase and show all these different possible death scenarios, I look forward to this one and the owl attack one.

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2022 1:54 PM

I thought she was hurt, so I fixed it. I killed her. -Brian

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2022 1:54 PM

I don’t recall this approach in First Aid???

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2022 1:56 PM

A similar thing DID happen with David Coughlin, so I suppose it's not out of the question. Very interested to know if the autopsy report lines up with what he claims. The fact that they had that domestic dispute call with police makes me highly dubious.

This also happens in Gerry, the Gus Van Sant film with Casey Affleck and Matt Damon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2022 2:00 PM

We can poke a million holes in his little story. It reminds me of “The English Patient”, a little. Except the count didn’t kill his beloved.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2022 2:03 PM

R30, that's some mistake. I've made lots of mistakes in my life, but I never mistakenly strangled someone to death.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2022 2:07 PM

two spoiled lunatic brats. good riddance!

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 2:11 PM

He was hawt!

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2022 2:39 PM

R37 nothing of value was lost

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2022 3:03 PM

Whoa this guy was insane!

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2022 3:30 PM

I think they were both tripping on peyote and drama ensued.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2022 5:42 PM

He's hot.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2022 11:57 PM

I heard she was in fact an annoying air head.

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2022 12:05 AM

Totally came here to say "Sure, Jan."

Leaving satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2022 12:08 AM

This notebook was damage control. Brian was one of those guys who thinks everyone is stupid enough to believe his lies. He killed her in a rage, and he couldn't live with the consequences or the shame. He knew he was going to kill himself when he wrote this because he couldn't face jail or life as a hated murderer. His family also likely knew and couldn't deal. He wrote this lie to let his family off the hook so they could believe he wasn't a murderer, or at least pretend to believe and save face.

by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2022 3:06 AM

I wonder if while she was having the life choked out of her, she looked up at him and thought, “Well this has escalated rather quickly?”

by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2022 3:50 AM

[quote]He's hot. There, I said it.

DL, home of pathetically low standards.

by Anonymousreply 47June 28, 2022 5:39 AM

He was pretty unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 48June 28, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote]He's hot. There, I said it.

Have you seen him recently?

by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2022 7:07 AM

He looks exactly like a guy in high school who was picked on by the jocks. They would thump the back of his head if they were sitting behind him in class.

by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote] He looks exactly like a guy in high school who was picked on by the jocks. They would thump the back of his head if they were sitting behind him in class.

As the saying goes, "Hurt people HURT people."

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2022 5:33 PM

I'm a little surprised he had the nerve to kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2022 6:24 PM

i don't think his future was looking very bright, R52, despite his valiant efforts to save Gabby by strangling her.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2022 6:28 PM

Is he the one who got ett by a gator?

by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2022 2:06 AM

Once you learn to sniff out a narcissist, it becomes impossible to miss how laughingly bad they are at lying for more than 10 secs. They're like toddler bad at telling stories because they need to be the victim and the hero AT ALL TIMES.

Anyway, fuck this murderer. I hope he botched his suicide and bled out slowly.

by Anonymousreply 55June 29, 2022 2:52 AM

[quote] 'Fed up,' Gabby Petito's mom responds to Brian Laundrie's notebook

NORTH PORT – Gabby Petito's mother responded with a tweet calling for justice after Brian Laundrie said he killed Petito to take away her pain in his released notebook.

The Laundrie family attorney, Steven Bertolino, released a copy of the notebook to Wink News on Friday.

Laundrie disappeared on Sept. 14 after telling his parents he was headed to the Carlton Reserve, five days before Petito's body was found. His body was found on Oct. 20 after he committed suicide with a gun at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port. His notebook was found in a dry bag near his body.

In the released eight pages, Laundrie describes his regrets and gave a confession to Petito's murder.

He said in the notebook that he killed her after Petito was suffering from extreme pain and cold after falling in a stream at the Teton Nation Forest in Wyoming.

"I ended her life. I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made," Laundrie said in the notebook. "I panicked, I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

Petito's death was caused by strangulation, a Teton County Coroner ruled in October.

Nichole Schmidt, Petito's mom, tweeted "Fed up." along with a photo on Monday after the release of Laundrie's notebook.

"Narcissists rewrite history to escape accountability," the text in the photo said.

Petito's parents filed a negligence lawsuit against Laundrie's parents on March 10. A circuit court judge will decide if the lawsuit will be dismissed or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2022 12:17 AM

R50, you may be on to something.

I know someone just like that. He goes hiking and camping at a lot of the same places Laundrie camped out at. He even posts those smiling, smug headshot selfies with his partner with the canyons and mountains in the background and those toothy smiles, expensive mirrored sunglasses. Even those arm outstretched looking at the wonders of world, I'm so amazing, selfies.

He's a total narcissist. Not saying there's a connection, but he reminds me of Laundrie with those kinds of selfies he posts on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2022 2:05 PM

When a loved one is in pain and you can't find an aspirin, you simply have to do *something*

by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2022 2:29 PM

Sgt Joe Friday: The suspect, Brian Laundrie, after killing his girlfriend, ended his own life. He was a lying sack of shit.

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2022 2:56 PM

R57, years and years ago, someone summed up that type 'the neo-hippie sociopath', pretty well, in a thread about how New Age types can't be trusted any more than any other brand of asshole out there.

Something to the effect of 'they give away their old dog so they can go trek across south America.'

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2022 3:22 PM

R34 In that case, the killer did not kill himself, though.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2022 3:27 PM

My favorite part about the Coughlin story:

"After days of hiking, the two became lost and dehydrated. Kodikian and Coughlin had only brought three pints (1.42 litres) of water and one pint (0.47 litres) of Gatorade.[2] One pint of water was used to boil hot dogs during their first evening in the canyon."

They boiled the hot dogs! They could have just roasted them - or eaten them uncooked, they're already fully cooked.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2022 3:31 PM

"He wrote that he chose to kill her after she injured herself from a fall in Wyoming."

If she fell at all, it was because he knocked her over! Seriously, I can see the murder happening that way, they've been fighting and he's been hitting her, and if he realized he's hurt her badly enough to require medical attention, he might well kill her rather than face the possibility of the truth coming out at the hospital.

If there was any pre-death injury at all, of course, and I don't recall one being mentioned in the autopsy report. Sick bastard was lying in his own fucking diary, trying to come up with a story that made him feel good about himself, which is all a narcissist ever wants.

by Anonymousreply 63July 2, 2022 4:13 PM

Maybe he wasn't planning to kill himslef and he thought he could get away with it if he wrote something like that in his diary.

by Anonymousreply 64July 2, 2022 4:15 PM

[quote]Gabby Petito's mother responded with a tweet calling for justice after Brian Laundrie said he killed Petito to take away her pain in his released notebook.

What more Justice could she want? He’s dead, Jim.

by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2022 10:20 PM

Did he draw pictures too?

by Anonymousreply 66July 2, 2022 10:38 PM

I've seen the Tetons. I may not have understood the hazardous place she was, but other people would be nearby. He could have asked them to help her. Given a choice between staying with her and not getting help, or walking for ten miles seeking help, I would have walked.

Maybe I'm just ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 67July 2, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote]Maybe I'm just ignorant.

His story is complete bullshit, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68July 3, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote]I've seen the Tetons. I may not have understood the hazardous place she was, but other people would be nearby. He could have asked them to help her. Given a choice between staying with her and not getting help, or walking for ten miles seeking help, I would have walked.

Not if you murdered her.

by Anonymousreply 69July 3, 2022 6:11 AM

[quote] He could have asked them to help her. Given a choice between staying with her and not getting help, or walking for ten miles seeking help, I would have walked.

Why bother with that?

It's just so much easier to choke her to death and be done with it.

All's well that ends well.

by Anonymousreply 70July 3, 2022 9:06 PM

Maybe he thought St. Peter would consult his notebook and just not question it if there was a long line.

by Anonymousreply 71July 3, 2022 9:16 PM

Wouldn't you know his parents are probably clinging to the lies in that notebook and weeping about their poor misunderstood son who "tried to do the right thing." He was obviously spoiled rotten by his parents who still think he could do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 72July 3, 2022 10:42 PM

Yeah, R72, you could smell the dysfunction wafting off of that family! The parents clinging to the belief that their spoiled monster could do no wrong, even after it became clear that he'd killed a girl they knew, the fat sister telling protestors she'd turn him in if she knew his location. A painfully obvious case of the only son being the "golden child", and spoiled into a monster.

I wonder what became of his parents, who as I vaguely recall, had a small business that depended on public goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 73July 3, 2022 11:51 PM

The man had no looks at all; he was repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2022 6:09 AM

He was trying to English Patient himself but it didn't quite work out.

by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2022 2:08 PM

I've never seen the English Patient (nor do I want to). r75 for those of us who are ignorant, what does it mean to try and "English Patient himself" mean?

by Anonymousreply 76October 13, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote] I may not have understood the hazardous place she was, but other people would be nearby.

There were so many people nearby that there was footage from a YouTube vlogger in the area who later realized they'd driven past the car Gabby and Brian had been traveling in, because it was parked right next to the road. In that YouTube footage you saw several vans and RVs in the area. It's what helped the police locate Gabby, because she turned out to be in a flat area, near a dry creek bed and not far from the road where the van had been seen.

He almost certainly could have walked back to the road and yelled "help" and gotten attention from someone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2022 10:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!