Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American IVF patients advised to move their frozen embryos if they can to safer terrain after Roe Versus Wade overturned

The implications for the potential parents of the one million frozen embryos in fertility clinics in the USA could be huge. Not moving your embryos to either a safer state or another country like Canada could be risky. The implications for fertility clinics are not clear but could include people facing sanctions if they don't implant one of their frozen embryos.

I can see the evolving field of fertility treatment largely decamping to Europe, Australia, Canada etc as the US volatility on abortion and fertility issues becomes too unpredictable to run that kind of business long term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2022 12:56 AM

I wonder how many of them considered adoption.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 1:09 AM

Why are you linking to a paywall, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 1:15 AM

r1 Do you consider for there to be an absolute moral obligation on people with fertility options to have to choose adoption if they want a family?

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:17 AM

r2 This may help you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:18 AM

This is the dumbest shit ever. America can fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 1:19 AM

r5 It will certainly harm the countrys reputation abroad I am sure.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 1:36 AM

r3 Should say fertility problems not fertility options

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 12:30 PM

r1 Any response to r3 ?

I think we should encourage the positive case for adoption and IVF and not stigmatise either.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2022 11:00 PM

Republicans have never complained about IVF. Except when it fails because that stuff's expensive y'all!

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2022 11:14 PM

Nothing's going to happen to frozen embryos. Republiqans couldn't care less about frozen embryos. They sure as hell don't want them. They just want to control and punish women.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2022 11:14 PM

r10 But wont some of their prolife supporters who they pander too insist defrosting embryos and discarding them is murder or even try to create obligations for hosts to be found for the embryos? Their logic could take them there, scary I know.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2022 12:07 AM

[quote]I wonder how many of them considered adoption.

It's nobody's fucking business why they chose not to adopt. If they want IVF they have every right to go that route.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2022 12:15 AM

R11 - Yes! Right on point.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2022 12:15 AM

I’m emptying out my freeze to house some of those precious embryo babies. Defrosting them is murder!

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2022 12:15 AM

Then there’s this nut:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2022 12:33 AM

Migrant embryos at the border.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2022 12:47 AM

R11 I believe if I remember correctly that you're British so maybe not too familiar with the American anti choice movement. As an American, believe me when I say that they will not touch ivf with a ten foot pole. There might be a dozen extremists who complain about ivf but they will get nowhere. They are just filled with rage by the idea that a woman would willingly decide not to be a Mommy and discard her precious gift or whatever. They are not about to discourage rich white ladies from breeding, lol.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote]Republiqans couldn't care less about frozen embryos.

Indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 12:55 AM

Wow at the headline in R18. So, a lab creates 8 embryos because the customer wants to have 2 kids, and they need a cushion to improve the chances. The first two procedures work, so they throw the other 6 embryos in the trash. That's SIX embryos at once. Thats OK, though.

If a woman gets knocked up the old fashioned away, and she wants to abort a three-week old embryo, then she's a monster. Because that embryo was the result of sex. The woman had sex. Now she has to pay. In the Bible, pregnancy, labor, and childbirth were a punishment for womankind because Eve was tempted to eat an apple...at the urging of a talking snake (a phallic symbol). So now, some men want to inflict that exact same punishment on women because they were tempted into accepting a different phallic symbol.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2022 1:02 AM

Good! Fuck them, fuck them all!

I'm sure many vote Republican, so let them all enjoy their first taste of real FREEDOM OF PRIVACY, 2022 style!

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2022 1:29 AM

R1 Adoption is a crap shoot. Adopted kids have much higher rates of ADHD than non adopted kids, and this is sometimes accompanied by behavioral issues.

Who are the people who get pregnant with no planning or means to support the child? Those with lower intelligence (do not understand that birth control is necessary), those who are impulsive and unable to plan (ADHD), those who simply cant plan the next day.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2022 1:33 AM

^ for above

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2022 1:34 AM

See my assumption was having frozen embryos was risky because sometimes things go wrong and need to be aborted.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2022 1:36 AM

r23 I'm not sure I understand what you are saying?

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2022 11:58 PM

R24 from the article

That creation of multiple embryos is where IVF clinics see potential legal trouble on the horizon. If a state defines an unborn child as existing at the moment of fertilization, clinics could violate the law by discarding chromosomally abnormal embryos or by terminating a pregnancy where multiple embryos have been implanted.

"The chances of a successful IVF cycle aren't that high, so doctors will often implant multiple embryos to maximize the odds at least one pregnancy comes to term," said Mary Ziegler, a visiting Harvard Law professor who writes extensively on abortion issues. "Sometimes, to maximize the chances a pregnancy comes to term, some of those pregnancies are terminated. A lot of people in the anti-abortion movement look at that and say that's abortion."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2022 12:05 AM

I thought the same, R20. There will be infertile American couples out there who are against abortion, but are midway through IVF and have no qualms about discarding embryos because "that's different". They'll have rejoiced at the news that Roe v Wade was overturned because it'll save the lives of all those precious babies... and they'll get a nasty shock when they discover their IVF is now in jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2022 12:12 AM

r25 Thanks for the additional detail and explainer.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2022 12:28 AM

Can a couple get a life insurance policy for said embryo?

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2022 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!