Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roe v Wade being overturned has me thinking that an old buddy of mine may have been more visceral than I believed

I used to chat with this gentleman (a white man born into old money on the Upper East Side) who used to tell me that this was going to happen within the next decade or so. He told me this around 2015 or 2016. He knew Politicians as well as many wealthy NYC socialites, and he said,

A. Racism is a lot less in your face here but it is here, as well as homophobia. Many of those rich white people on the Upper East Side consider themselves democrats/liberals but most of their logic is more Republican than they think. He said within the next decade we are going to see inflation and rent hikes, and people will think it’s not intentional but it is. He said since the 1970s, when white flight was prevalent in major cities the Government has been trying to find ways to “take back their cities” and push out low income, which are mostly POC. White people have the money in this country, and the mostly white government slowly has made sure to limit the increase of minimum wage while hiking prices to eventually be able to “take back the cities” and push out POC.

B. Women’s rights will be at risk. They want to overturn abortion rights as well as try to make it harder for women within certain careers. One thing he told me was most of those old white men have no respect for women and speak of them poorly behind their backs. Many believe the workplace was better when it was almost all men.

C. Gay rights. He predicted in 2015 that by the year 2030 gay rights would be back to the way they were in the past, aka illegal. He said Republicans would have gays vanish if they could and blame gays for everything that is wrong morally with the world, the way they blame blacks and Hispanics for all crime.

I always doubted this gentleman and I eventually stopped interacting with him because he would upset me at times because he was a man with resources and who claimed to know all of this but I felt he never did anything about it. Looking back, what could he have done? I was dumb. Also, I think he may have been more insightful than I believed.

I wonder what he’s up to now.

We actually met in person on accident and became buds and kept in touch. We then would speak daily about Politics, race relations, gender politics etc. one day I saw him on Grindr and messaged him saying “hey why are you in my area?” and we laughed, then Grindr sorta became our way of sending voice messages to one another instead of WhatsApp. Pretty interesting.

Below is a bit of a convo we had that I saved about segregation in NYC. No relation to Roe vs Wade, but just so you can hear what our convos were like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2022 3:12 PM

Well that's what gays get for spreading monkeypox. I am ashamed to be gay when I read the recent statistics about the current outbreak. Can't we be like not unclean for at least two months or so? The right to an abortion was also only a test. It got removed because since roe v wade, we got even more single mothers. Now women will be more careful with whom they sleep with and we will have less criminal single momma children as a result. We could have had a free society that is pro abortion and pro gay rights but gays and women have ruined it themselves with their behavior. They didn't put their freedoms to good use and acted careless. So thank you fellow gays for making being gay illegal by 2030 -.-

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote]B. Women’s rights will be at risk. They want to overturn abortion rights as well as try to make it harder for women within certain careers. One thing he told me was most of those old white men have no respect for women and speak of them poorly behind their backs. Many believe the workplace was better when it was almost all men.

That reminds me, someone on another thread several weeks back predicted that the 21st century will see the fall of feminism in the U.S. as (mainly white) men begin to take institutions back, because they don't like where women in power have taken the country, especially in the past 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 8:09 PM

So by your logic r1 only perfect people should have rights and freedoms. Dingbat logic at its finest. But by your dingbat logic, should every Trump and everybody around the Trumps be in jail? They have certainly misused every single right and every single freedom that they were ever granted. And really, shouldn't 99% of the rich be in jail? They pretty much all suck and steal and grift and con and act like assholes pretty much all the time. So clearly, the Gulag?

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 8:14 PM

R2 Listen to what she says and you will understand why men would do that. Doesn't mean you have to agree with her main message written in the video title but her points are eye-opening nonetheless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 8:17 PM

More visceral?

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 8:19 PM

Odd he didn't foretell wokism, CRY, equity, the progressive left, cancel culture or trans.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 8:21 PM

R6 not even psychics can foretell everything.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 8:24 PM

This is borderline doxxing. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 8:25 PM

Your buddy was right

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 8:26 PM

Fuck R1 for being a right-wing troll and the OP for being a cynical schmuck.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 8:27 PM

R8 how is it doxxing? Where did I say his name? Where did I post an image? I never once mentioned who he was or a link to him. You can only hear a voice.

You clearly don’t know what doxxing is either. Another thing to the long list.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2022 8:31 PM

OP doesn't know what "visceral" means.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2022 8:33 PM

Actually r4, her logic comes down to "letting women vote leads to policies I don't like." So fucking what? I would forbid the rich from voting by that logic. I would forbid white old people from voting by that logic. There is nothing else there. Her point is stupid and she is just another wingnut whoring for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2022 8:33 PM

Visceral- relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect.

The way it’s used is wrong but I understood.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2022 8:35 PM

Another one I saved. The only two I saved. Fuck. There was hours worth of chat between us all gone now. I wish I saved more of them! Some of them were incredibly insightful. He would share literature with me from the early 1900s and tell me books I should read etc. i lost all of that.

I remember our long discussion about Italians in America and he had a strong opinion on them and the way they earned their seat at the “white dinner table”. He also gave me non-fiction books to read from the early 1900s that were out of print but those WASP male authors had something to say about Italians and it wasn’t nice.

They were also classified as Latin in America for decades, which I didn’t know until him.

The chat below is him admitting white males are pretty damn violent despite it being pushed white people aren’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2022 9:00 PM

R14, “visceral” is spectacularly misused by OP. It’s not a mistake anyone fluent in English would make, which makes me side-eye OP’s whole post.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 9:03 PM

Not sure I totally agree with him there r15, but he does sound like an interesting person. I can see why his conversations affected you so much.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 9:03 PM

Well yes, visceral was misused there in an unusual way r16. But is that really why you reject the post? Or are you squirming and scrounging and trying not to deal with anything said in it for other reasons?

To me, his friend sounds interesting, and yes somewhat prophetic. All is not lost. All is pretty much never lost. But shit is happening and we may all need to deal with it now.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 9:05 PM

Isn’t it true that abortion has been outlawed because we want to ensure an underclass of poor and uneducated and black/brown? That group makes up the majority of women seeking abortions. They don’t use contraception.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 9:11 PM

OP here. I apologize for misusing visceral. I meant “prophetic” or even clairvoyant.

For some reason I believed visceral to have a similar meaning. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 9:11 PM

It's fine r20. Anyone who wants to deal with your post can deal with it and ignore the error. If they don't, it is almost certainly for unrelated reasons.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 9:14 PM

OP - I believe the word you’re looking is “Prescient”.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 9:23 PM

* looking for

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 9:24 PM

Nacreous? AKA layer of permacum

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 9:25 PM

Have you guys forgotten the Tea Party and backlash to Democrats after Obama's election? You don't have to be old money Republicans to have foreseen this. It's been an obvious trajectory for a long time. It's a miracle that Biden won, and it should tell Democrats that they need to choose another elderly conventional white man for 2024.

Generally, I hate posts like mine that take the format of "Have you guys forgotten... what you're saying is so fucking obvious," but in this case it is warranted.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 9:28 PM

R23 THANK YOU!!! I kept trying to remember the word but for some reason it wasn’t coming to me. I didn’t look up visceral to check before using it but I was almost certain that was the word. I was clearly wrong. I meant prescient!!!

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 9:38 PM

Turning to content, I’m not sure that I find it particularly compelling either. Just on the first point: New York City, like most rich cities, was and remains segregated by race and class. White people, rather obviously, never fled. There’s nothing to dramatically reclaim by driving out the less wealthy since they are, statistically speaking, mostly white themselves.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 9:38 PM

R27 ummm what? White Flight was very much a thing in the 70s and 80s. A lot of white people stayed but that doesn’t change the reality. Let’s not try to rewrite history.

No, they aren’t mostly white. Look at the homeless you see and tell me how many are white.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 9:40 PM

R4 This woman's argument's are not convincing. She's a good example of "If I say things with an authoritative voice, I will sound knowledgeable and people will fall for my bullshit.". Her arguments have very little substance and fall apart if they were in any way scrutinized.

Her first argument, that 18 year olds got the vote because they can get drafted, is a red herring. The powers that be knew that the opposite choice - raise the draft age to 21 - would be a disaster, because by that time, young men had enough critical thinking skills and life experience to possibly resist the draft. If today, we raised the age of men enlisting in the armed forces by choice to 21, the armed forces would shrink considerably. Few Americans want to risk their lives to fight rich people's wars abroad. Without teenage soldiers, the empire would not sustain itself.

The idea that government spending rose largely due to the female vote is laughable. American men also voted for more government spending on social issues - such as social security, Medicare, etc. - because many experienced the Great Depression and realized people need a minimum of money to sustain themselves in hard times. You cannot depend on your employer alone for either retirement savings or health insurance. Also, men are not idiots. They knew that if something happened to them, like a disability or death, their families might lose everything.

And her last argument? Right-wing Islamophobic horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 10:23 PM

R28, so, there’s a long-term plan is to raise rents on the homeless in order to drive them out? Sure, that’ll show ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 10:29 PM

I don't really understand the raising rents to drive poor people out argument. Who is going to do the low paid jobs in restaurants, stores, maintenance, etc?

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 10:34 PM

R30 the plan started in the 70s. We are seeing the results in modern day.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 10:43 PM

OP was mentored by Henry J. Finch, IV.

🥴🥴

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 10:50 PM

R31, every large city needs a substantial service population, and a fair number of them aren’t going to commute four hours a day. Cities also need that “bohemian” element of artists and borderline crooks (such as drug dealers) to keep it lively.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 10:52 PM

R29 I think gays should be islamophobic unless they have a fetish for being thrown off a roof

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2022 12:00 AM

It's funny how the left are quick to judge and condemn Christianity/Christians yet they will bend over backwards for Islam/Muslims.

They're both Abrahamic religions, along with Judaism.

They all worship the same God and recognize Abraham as their first prophet,

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2022 12:08 AM

Ummm who mentioned Islams or Christians?

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2022 12:10 AM

I want to have sex with Abraham

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2022 12:12 AM

R38 = Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 12:17 AM

I don't really understand the point of this post. The man's remarks are not really intelligent or insightful. Anyone who has lived in a wealthy area of DC/NYC/ Boston has met his kind ( and the kind of people he associates with). They appear on the surface to be the stereotype of " liberal elite" but are in many ways much more rigidly conservative than the type of people you'd meet in some small Midwestern city. The only thing that separates them from the red state Republicans is wealth and appreciation for the arts and education. A lot of these types work in media. Just look at some of the backward ideas that have graced the op ed pages of prestige publications like New York Times or Washington Post. Never underestimate how conservative the bougie areas of the East Coast are.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2022 12:23 AM

Besides the "visceral" mistake, Americans don't really say "on accident"

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2022 12:26 AM

Over 300 million people in the states and you know what everyone says? R41

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2022 12:27 AM

a million competing conspiracy theories. so is this guy WASP (most likely), lace curtain irish, some other kind of 'white' allowed at the table?

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2022 12:29 AM

R41, the less articulate do.

But I agree, the recordings are suspect.

My questions are:

1) Why did OP record this gentleman (who is far from brilliant), and,

2) Did the gentleman know he was being recorded?

3) If he knew he was being recorded, what was the point of recording him?

4) If he didn’t know he was being recorded, why did OP find it necessary to do so?

The guy sounds like a pompous asshole. And he’s NOT American born or if he is, he wasn’t raised in the US. Certainly not NYC.

Sounds German, and even South American, yet raised and educated in Europe - specifically in a Dutch speaking country.

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2022 12:32 AM

Except that the government cannot "hike prices" on real estate.

Also, rent has gone down in NYC in the last two years.

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2022 12:36 AM

He’s American, background is German. His family has been in NYC since the 1800s. He had ancestors here dating back to the late 1600s though, which he discovered while doing research. This was a topic because I mentioned my family has been in NYC since the 1920s.

He is a Princeton graduate and received his Masters at Cornell. He is far from “uneducated”.

When I tell you we discussed so much, I’m not joking.

We communicated through voice recordings. Not text. And yes he was aware of the two I recorded to share with someone. I kept them. All the other messages are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2022 12:42 AM

R45 rent hasn’t gone down. It’s the highest it’s ever been right now. Stop replying. Please. You clearly don’t know a thing of what you speak of.

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2022 12:42 AM

Also, forgot to say/write, that this sounds more like some university professor, or a speaker at some “talk” at Yale, specifically.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2022 12:48 AM

i was in nyc in 2018 for the first time in years, it looks and feels like every other big city now. if the big goal was the deathly sterile corporate monoculture eternal now you see these days there and in london, toronto, tokyo, berlin, san francisco, etc... was/is it really worth it?

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2022 12:49 AM

R46, just read your post.

Princeton and Cornell make perfect sense as well.

I knew he was an Ivy leaguer.

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2022 12:53 AM

R44 Maybe it's Clark Rockefeller

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2022 12:55 AM

LMAO, R51.

Thanks for the chuckle!

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2022 12:58 AM

[quote] Americans don't really say "on accident"

They say "on point" which is equally ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2022 1:00 AM

No, they say ACCIDENTALLY.

by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2022 1:01 AM

Different people say different things.

Some say accidentally, some say by accident, some say on accident.

Not every person in one country says the same thing.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2022 1:02 AM

'Visceral' is more wrong than 'on accident'.

Visceral means blood and guts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2022 1:05 AM

R56 visceral has two definitions baby doll.

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2022 1:07 AM

No matter how progressive they are when they have to rank gay rights and their second home, their second home wins.

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote]Not every person in one country says the same thing.

Yeah but certain expressions are a clear signal when someone is from a DIFFERENT country where that expression is common.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2022 1:08 AM

JFC.

The correct words are:

Prescient

Accidentally.

Everyone knows this, including OP & his Ivy educated “Grindr” friend (yeah, right).

People on Grindr aren’t yapping away. They’re fucking. Period, end of story.

Lol!

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2022 1:10 AM

Yes, R59, and some certain expressions are a clear signal that that a person was taught Lain in school.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2022 1:10 AM

Dumb people's examples of smart people are irritating.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2022 1:11 AM

R26 I would be very happy to send OP a bound thesaurus as a holiday gift.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote] Odd he didn't foretell wokism, CRY, equity, the progressive left, cancel culture or trans.

CRY?

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2022 1:18 AM

R4, she's a stupid cunt. Women voted for laws protecting themselves, because there were NONE.

And women don't vote to go or not to go to war. No one does. Our politicians decide. If we got to vote on it, there would be no wars. And by the way, the last wars were failures. We got our asses handed to us by a rag tag bunch of peasants

We only go to war to help corporations. We only deal with Saudi Arabia to help corporations make more money. Our soldiers we basically just security guards in Iraq so the corporations could rape, rob and pillage the natural resources. Women didn't decide that. Men did

You're as stupid as she is

by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2022 1:24 AM

R31 I suspect the idea is that they will commute from the outskirts of the city or nearby suburbs but won't actually live there.

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2022 1:34 AM

R27 No. There's a large population of struggling and poor white people in the Midwest and west coast. But the East tends to be segregated by color. The lighter the skin, the wealthier financially.

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2022 1:36 AM

R44 nailed it

The person in the recording is not a native English speaker.

I grew up in Manhattan, went to a private school on the UES. That is not an American accent, let alone a New York accent.

It may also be a completely invented accent too, e.g., he's from East Bumblefuck and has invented some fabulous backstory and the accent to go along with it

The syntax is off, the rhythm of how he speaks is not that of a native American speaker.

(And why DO you have a voice recording of him from seven years ago?)

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2022 1:52 AM

Omg. You aren’t a native NYer. And yes, he did. There is nothing about the way he speaks that says it isn’t his first language. Just stop. You ruin every thread. Just go away. No one wants you here.

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2022 1:54 AM

Is he a professor? He sounds like the type of cunt who works at an Ivy League.

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2022 1:55 AM

R68 J, you aren’t a NYC native. When does the lying stop?

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2022 1:55 AM

R69 telling a Manhattan native that he isn't a native NY'er. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2022 1:56 AM

Because you’re not a Manhattan native.

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2022 1:57 AM

Except this is a story as old as time, R31.

The poor have NEVER lived in wealthy areas, and they’re not going to, either.

The real story here is that we are systematically creating a newer class of poors, who were once called the middle class.

That’s it. And that’s been going on for decades. This isn’t new. The results seem starker in comparison to a generation ago, however, it was supposed to become this way, and it’s finally here.

Ta-Da!

Here it is. The chasm is clear, and those who didn’t cross the divide before it became too vast, great, etc., are feeling it, and will continue to feel it more and more, as time goes on.

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2022 1:58 AM

I'm not the person who claimed to be, moron, but there is no way you would know where any poster is from.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2022 1:58 AM

Stopped reading at R44 to post the comment at R68 but as I go through it's pretty obvious that this is a troll thread and OP is trying desperately to keep his story from sliding under the waves.

I should have been more visceral [SIC] when I started going through the posts

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2022 2:00 AM

I suspect if you did a Google search you'd figure out where the recorded conversation was from. Some play perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2022 2:01 AM

R76 R77 Both J, unless Google has my phone attached, that’s impossible. Move along now. Mental Adults are speaking.

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote] Mental Adults are speaking.

If only you knew English well enough to realize how funny that actually is.

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2022 2:04 AM

Sorry. Adults who actually have the mental capacity of an adult are speaking. You’re middle aged but act like a child on every thread, even the threads about abortion. You’re all over every one of them. It’s so sad.

And no, you aren’t a Native to Manhattan. We’ve disclosed this years ago. You’ve even admitted it. Lmao. The lies are so boring and old.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2022 2:06 AM

Mental adults, R78?

Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2022 2:06 AM

[quote]And no, you aren’t a Native to Manhattan. We’ve disclosed this years ago. You’ve even admitted it. Lmao. The lies are so boring and old.

"Disclosed"? Dude, get an English dictionary! And I'm someone else calling you out, not the Manhattan native.

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2022 2:08 AM

Oh shit, the Jessica Fletcher Brigade are on the case! Viscera will be spilled upon the fields of Cabot Cove! Non-native New Yorkers will be found, and harried from their dens! Accents will be revealed and condemned!

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2022 2:09 AM

R82 YAWN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2022 2:12 AM

Also, visceral has more than one meaning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2022 2:15 AM

This thread is full of viscous insults and backbiting! People should stop fixating on the importance of words. What are you people, the language gazpacho?

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2022 2:25 AM

damn you whores for turning a kind of interesting thread into a semantics brawl

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2022 2:25 AM

Viscous makes my eyes bleed.

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2022 2:59 AM

My guess is he’s a binman from Wigan!

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2022 3:14 AM

This is the dumbest and fakest thread I have seen here in ages.

by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2022 4:18 AM

What a strange thread; like watching Dr Pimple Popper. Want to look away but too curious about what will come up (or out) next.

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2022 4:39 AM

I downloaded Grindr for the first time in a long time to see if I run into him on there again to reconnect. No luck.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2022 3:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!