Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emma Thompson Wearing ‘Degrading’ Fat Suit In Matilda Is Offending People

Fat fucks outraged but men pretending to be women doesn’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2022 2:01 AM

Hey... how about get a real overweight actress to play the role instead? It's not like they're not around. Call me!

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 3:44 PM

So they're saying fat people are evil child haters?

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 3:45 PM

The character isn’t “fat” per se. She’s just a rather large athletic woman. Kind of like Coach Balbricker from Porky’s.

Ok, she’s fat.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 3:49 PM

So let them be offended. You can't please every crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 3:52 PM

The fatties are correct on this.

Emma's awfully outspoken and pious on any number of other issues, but she's on the wrong side of this one.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 4:00 PM

these SJWs have too much time on their hands

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Easier and less harmful to her than gaining weight. Big deal. She an actor playing a role.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 4:05 PM

Emma can wear whatever the fuck she wants to help herself portray her characters in a way that resonates for her.

The critics are a bunch a ninnies with nothing better to do than be offended and they can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 4:24 PM

Fuck 'em. Let 'em lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 4:41 PM

The sheer ignorance of this astounds me. The character design is based on the original book illustrations. Most anyone who has read the book would be disappointed if the design was too far from the original. Second, where were these people when the character in the musical was portrayed by a man, in a very similar costume? It is pretty clear that the critics no nothing about the material. They are just having a knee-jerk reaction to something that they really don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 4:50 PM

This is getting ridiculous. Next they’ll come for drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2022 6:07 PM

"It’s not ethical, authentic or representative of any lived experiences whatsoever.”

But it IS acting.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2022 6:39 PM

Hearing "lived experience" makes me want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2022 6:41 PM

Trunchbull isn’t fat. Her physicality is grotesque but cartoonish, and is not to be found in any naturally-shaped person. She can only be portrayed, on film on stage, with the use of prosthetics.

I miss the days when stupid people would just shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2022 7:23 PM

OMG! Like, this is SO outrageously impor-int! Much more than, like, stupid abortion!

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2022 7:40 PM

These outraged SJWs should never, EVER know anything about Roald Dahl. Who would be laughing his ass off at this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 7:42 PM

Oh, they know he was guilty of racism or antisemitism or whatever! They've just never read any of his books.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 7:46 PM

R5 Go eat your feelings.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 7:48 PM

Does she also wear blackface as Harry Belafonte?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 7:51 PM

What if she gained weight for the part like Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull? Would THAT be OK?

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 8:03 PM

I've been a little depressed and camped out in a nearby bakery lately! I'm not wearing a fat suit, and how dare you assume I'm not just pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote]The fatties are correct on this. Emma's awfully outspoken and pious on any number of other issues, but she's on the wrong side of this one.

I have to admit that for the first time I felt the fatties were right to criticise Thompson on this, especially with her comments about getting people, especially young trans kids(!) to love their bodies and accept their flaws when promoting her film where she goes full tit and minge.

Roald Dahl is a notorious anti semite ("I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason") and a notorious misogynist.

Most of the villains are women and physically disgusting. It would actually be more progressive to have Miss Trunchbull as a stereotypically attractive woman rather than make her hideously ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 8:09 PM

Rather thin-skinned, aren't they.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 12:38 AM

Have they never heard of Madea? OP

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 1:00 AM

Wasn't Ralphf Fiennes supposed to play her at first?

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 3:38 PM

Emma's good in the role and only a few years ago, people were mad that the stage musicals were casting men as the Trunchbull.

by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2022 2:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!