Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roe V. Wade Would Not Have Been Overturned If Ruth Bader Ginsburg Stepped Down

Today's decision was 5-4 with Roberts joining the minority.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2022 1:49 PM

No it wasn’t, it was 6-3.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 3:08 PM

No he didn’t want to strike it down. It would’ve been 5-4 to KEEP Roe v Wade if she didn’t die when she did.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 3:10 PM

Roberts voted to end Roe - not surprising, since in 1972 he was clerking for William Rehnquist, who was one of 2 Justices who voted against it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 3:10 PM

Are you suggesting that a Democratic Justice might somehow have persuaded Roberts to vote differently? That’s just asinine.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 3:11 PM

Apologies. The decision was 6-3. My posts these past 2 days have been complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 3:15 PM

Stay off the schnapps, OP

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 3:16 PM

They have indeed, r5, including this one, which is simply a repeat of what multiple other threads and replies have said over the last few days already.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 3:17 PM

See, this alternate history game is pointless and harmful. What if Nader hadn't run. What if progressives hadn't opposed Hillary. What if Ruth Bader Ginsburg hasn't stepped down.

They divert is from the core reasons for what is happening.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 3:19 PM

RBG retiring under Obama would have made it 5-4 against keeping Roe.

Hillary winning in 2016 would have made it 6-3 or 7-2 against overturning it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 3:19 PM

Blame a dead person.

So much easier than blaming the living people responsible.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 3:20 PM

I don't blame only RBG, but it's undeniable that her refusal to step down hastened the day this would happen.

That said, there are many other factors that didn't just hasten it but made it inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2022 3:24 PM

Roe wouldn't have been overturned if a bunch of stupid pricks hadn't voted for Trump because they thought Hillary was evil and figured why not give Trump a chance. Turned out Trump was the evil bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2022 4:00 PM

Or maybe Hillary has lousy political skills?

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2022 4:03 PM

Hillary's skills were enough to get more votes than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2022 7:49 PM

R5 Yes, we can tell - yet you still remain so desperate to just post something - anything. Why not step away for a bit, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2022 7:51 PM

RBG was a selfish cunt and Obama was a moron for not codifying Roe. The blame lies equally between Dems and Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 9:10 PM

Deplorables knew voting for Trump meant the end of Roe. While some Dems got caught up in not liking Hillary. Repubs may be stupid but they play the long game.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 9:12 PM

"What ifs?" are pointless.

What happened today was no surprise. GOP presidents have long appointed justices who would overturn Roe. It was only a matter of time.

The Democrats knew that. They now need to be laser sharp in focusing on what this repeal and the various other judgments this week mean. Nothing is safe. We are now even less safe because of the Court's rulings on concealed weapons and Miranda rights. Privacy, contraception, and marriage equality is next on the block. They will go after the meagre protections we have from being fired or obtaining housing, because we are gay. And they will go after the civil rights of Black people, including Brown v Board of Education. Nothing is safe.

The Democrats must go after Ginni Thomas (or however she spells it). And they must demand hearing and inquiries into her husband. How much does he believe in the lies that she does? How impartial can he be with a wife like that?

And the Democrats must get us out of this shitty economy, because it's still about the economy, stupid!

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 9:26 PM

I don't think Kennedy gets enough shit for stepping down under Trump. Yes, he was Republican-appointed, but he would not have overturned Roe (nor would he have wiped his ass with marriage equality).

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 9:32 PM

What ifs are absolutely not pointless here because we know Roe would not have been overturned if Ginsburg had been replaced by Obama instead of by Drumpf.

Roberts wrote a concurring opinion in which he says he would not have voted to overturn Roe. He’s Chief Justice and he’s very concerned about how the court is seen by society at large. He knows what this does to the court’s credibility.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 9:34 PM

[quote]My posts these past 2 days have been complete shit.

Honey, we worry.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 9:36 PM

Dobbs would have be affirmed, but Roe and Casey would have survived if there had been a Democratic replacement for Ginsburg. And if it was Garland and not Gorsuch, even Dobbs would have gone away.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 9:37 PM

Roberts must be wondering wtf to do with Clarence Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 9:48 PM

R20, it is pointless, because it played out otherwise.

And if Roberts wished to preserve Roe, why the hell did he vote with Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett?

As I wrote, it was only a matter of time before it was overturned.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 9:59 PM

Roberts is no longer in charge of the SCOTUS. The American Taliban Wackadoos are in charge now.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 10:26 PM

It’s so easy to blame people with hindsight.

Hindsight tells me that a group called The Federalist Society has been gunning for abortion rights for 40 years. They’ve groomed the current conservative justices with that agenda in mind. Those justices all lied under oath to the Senate.

Foresight tells me it’s time for Supreme Court reform and to destroy The Federalist Society.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 10:32 PM

R26 "Foresight tells me it’s time for Supreme Court reform and to destroy The Federalist Society."

Bwa, ha, ha. Good luck with that plan. Let me know how you will wrestle power from those who don't care about democratic rule.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 10:35 PM

Trust me R27. They have a lot of the same skeletons as the NRA. Do I think they’ll ever be destroyed? No. But it’s nice to dream.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 10:46 PM

Of course the American public can aggressively turn against and destroy The Federalist Society. Find a way to change people's minds. It's difficult, but it's doable.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 11:12 PM

Roberts did not vote to overturn Roe or Casey, R24, just to uphold Dobbs. He clearly was attempting to respect precedent.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 11:16 PM

[quote] No it wasn’t, it was 6-3.

[quote] Roberts voted to end Roe - not surprising, since in 1972 he was clerking for William Rehnquist, who was one of 2 Justices who voted against it.

[quote] Apologies. The decision was 6-3. My posts these past 2 days have been complete shit.

You all are wrong. Roberts joined with the minority to NOT overrule Roe.

The 6-3 vote was to uphold the Mississippi abortion law. The 5-4 ruling was to overturn Roe.

[quote] [bold] The Supreme Court in a 5-4 decision on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that established the constitutional right to abortion in the U.S. in 1973. [/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 11:23 PM

Yes RBG fucked us she could of stepped down and gave us another spot but nope she Ginsburned us all. What a cunt..

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 11:30 PM

We need to wait for the long range effects, because I have a feeling this is going to end up working more in our favor than our detriment. Those 6 fools have done a grave injustice and they're going to find out sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 11:34 PM

I heard Samuel Alito was to be selected by Bush to be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, but Bush liked John Roberts more and offered him the position. You saw who wrote the opinion for the winners..

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 11:38 PM

If Roberts is really concerned about this whacked out scotus, then he should retire now. Let Biden replace his seat. It would be a gracious gesture for the Garland fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2022 11:39 PM

What's going to happen to all those Ruth socks and and Ruth candles and Ruth children's books? Will all that Notorious RBG merch still be hot items in gewgaw shops?

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote]she could of stepped down

Could of?

Oh, fucking dear!

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2022 10:55 AM

Yup. Thanks, Ruth.

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2022 11:01 AM

Thank you, R31. I just assumed I mixed up the two cases after reading the first couple of responses to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 1:43 PM

Thanks, R31. I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2022 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!