Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think now would be a good time to just let go

I just don't think I can fight any more. I've done it for over 50 years. Sometimes there is grace in just honoring the battle....and slipping away.

They came for abortion and for women, and they'll come for gay marriage and gay people next.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2022 8:27 PM

If I were to die tonight, well, I don't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 3:06 PM

Why let go now? Why not when Reagan was president? Bush and Junior?

The fact is the US after Vietnam has been a hellhole of right-wing politics. Some respite with neoliberal Bill (Don't ask don't tell) Clinton, maybe even a little with right-wing Barack (Both sides) Obama.

The US is considered a developed country only because it has money. And what do we do with it? Breed the Bezoses, deindustrialization, homelessness, and 8/h minimum wage. It is not an enlightened society, just just the Wild West of Rampant Capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 3:37 PM

Wait until Trump is back in office. This country is more fucked than I ever thought possible.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 3:39 PM

One catastrophe at a time, r3

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 3:40 PM

[quote]Wait until Trump is back in office. This country is more fucked than I ever thought possible.

It could be worse. DeSantis may end up in office.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 3:43 PM

Don’t you want to stick around for Texas’s secession?

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 3:44 PM

Every Con President is worse than the preceding one. And we never can imagine it could ever be so... until it happens.

The next Con presidency will be worse than Trump 1.0.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 3:45 PM

Never ever ever ever EVER give up.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 3:56 PM

OP suicide is the option for the blasted and ignorant, just look at Russia, highest suicide rate in the world.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 4:00 PM

They are coming for gay rights next. Make no mistake. Now is not the time to give up. Now is the time to double down—and more. I just gave money to the Dems. Do what you can! But don’t do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 4:03 PM

This why the other side wins OP. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2022 4:03 PM

I do see the point. Eldergays worked very hard to get recognition and fight the AIDS battle, only to be ignored by the newer generation and pushed aside for the Trans revolution. Now to be saddled with the “gays cause Monkeypox” meme and see history rewritten by being told that two POC drag queens rebranded as Trans were the heroic leaders of Stonewall. It’s too much.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Following the overturning of Roe v. Wade, Justice Clarence Thomas writes that the Supreme Court should reconsider rulings that protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2022 4:07 PM

R11, I’m of a certain age, and I have sympathy for OP. It’s exhausting….I’ve been through Reagan, Bush, Dump and now this. Instead of telling OP to FO, I’m trying to help them buckle up. We are all on the receiving end of these attempts to take our rights. We have to support each other and help each other fight back.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2022 4:07 PM

What's the point of the Sad Sack Troll, anyway? To get replies like r12? I'm serious, I don't understand what this guy could possibly be accomplishing by constantly threatening suicide.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2022 4:09 PM

Shut the fuck up with your trans hate r12. Go to your Log Cabin meeting and kiss Andrew Sullivan's ass.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 4:10 PM

What Would Biden need to do to put 4 more Supremes in there? How does that work! Man, I feel like crying. I thought these ppl didn't like legislating from the bench!

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 4:14 PM

Two steps forward, one step back... We got rid of Trump. We got a black female SCOTUS Justice. We have a Jan. 6th committee because WE VOTED. We can make a difference if we put forth the effort. And we need everyone to fight.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 4:16 PM

And you know they are itching to strike down Brown v Board of Education, as well.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 4:17 PM

R15 has never had a moment of empathy in his life.

Probably a republican as well.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 4:18 PM

I wonder what people were expecting of life when they say, "it's all gotten so fucked up I can't take it anymore." After 50 years, haven't you you learned that the world is in constant chaos and that there are no permanent solutions or happy conclusions? Did you think it was going to end when you're 70 with a happy sunrise and the end titles rolling and the music soaring? No, it goes on! The world is in constant flux, good fighting evil forever. The shit we're seeing today is not the end of the movie. The movie goes on, forever. Things will change and then change back. The things we fought for were not for nothing even if they're taken away temporarily. They set a precedent and will be brought back, in some shape or another. The story of the world doesn't end when you get old and tired.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 4:19 PM

Hear hear.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 4:21 PM

FFS, no ruling is going stop any woman from continuing a pregnancy that she doesn't want to continue. As for gay marriage, gay men and women were in mutually loving and committed relationships before Obergefell and they will continue to have loving and committed relationships if for some reason Obergefell should be overturned. All of this dramatic the world is coming to an end is not helping anyone. Organize. Fight. Vote. Meltdowns are just weakness.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 4:25 PM

R21 I agree with you. Just one thing to add regarding good vs evil. Real life isn’t like the movies where evil knows they’re evil. No one thinks they are the “bad guy.” Hitler was nuts but he thought what he was doing was justified. Same with the wackos on the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 4:39 PM

Good thing I stocked up on hangar store stock before this ruling.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 4:41 PM

OP? THE FIGHT IS ON. THIS IS NO TIME FOR DEFEAT.

This and everything else is going to be an electoral disaster for the GOP and their co-horts. It's not going to be easy but all this is, is the beginning of the end of this nonsense. You think people exhorted the Nazis after they lost WWII? Not really.

These things come in cycles. Today is the beginning of the next fight to save democracy. Not just in the States but all over the world. Get active!

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 4:44 PM

When TMZ asked about Lindsay Lohan's miscarriage, Rivers said, "I hope she kept it." And when her daughter, Melissa, showed disgust, she continued, "I was born with a coat hanger in my ear."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 4:47 PM

R25, you’ve tried it on every thread.

Give it up, it’s not funny.

Oh, and it’s spelled hangEr, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 4:54 PM

Fuck you r23, without marriage equality same sex couples could lose benefits that straights take for granted. Health insurance, housing, access to pensions. Are you that fuckin stupid?

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote]Are you that fuckin stupid?

Not stupid at all you fucking drama queen. But what is melting going to solve? Did all the melting down when this decision was leaked, stop the decision? No. That's why you have to focus and get to work now instead of all the hysterics, which solves nothing. If you want to keep your health insurance, housing, and access to pensions, then stop crying and fight.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 5:08 PM

Shut up and fuck off Trumpie R15.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 5:27 PM

"As for gay marriage, gay men and women were in mutually loving and committed relationships before Obergefell and they will continue to have loving and committed relationships if for some reason Obergefell should be overturned." I'm not melting down you moron. This stupid statement seems to imply that nothing much will change. What are you 85 years old? Go STFU and go listen to your old Judy Garland records.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 6:55 PM

I’m with OP. Im torn between wanting to control my own destiny/exit on my own terms and having a curious fascination with seeing the meltdown of society…the roving gangs of cannibals, the gorgeous ruins of major cities, fucking strangers because they’re the first human you’ve seen in months, etc. I estimate that I’ll last at least 1.5 months with all this Progresso Clam Chowder I’ve got. Plus my trusty steak knife.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 7:03 PM

What the fuck are all you exhausted lesbians groaning about?

Buck up and snap out of it!

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 7:10 PM

I commend those who have energy to fight. I don't think I do.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2022 7:21 PM

R35 the world does not fall upon your specific shoulders. You are not Wonder Woman. Stop being dramatic!

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2022 7:32 PM

My world does.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2022 7:38 PM

I have OP on ignore, but I can see r35. Shenanigans? Forum glitch? Fractures in the space-time continuum?

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2022 7:40 PM

No one does histrionics like the yanks, that's for sure. If you all weren't so OTT about EVERYTHING there might be some sensible discourse and debate but Americans elevate everything to the next level. Ireland, once one of the most Catholic of countries has legalised abortion (up to 12 weeks, and for health reasons thereafter). Just think about that for a moment before having another full on jazz hands flaming meltdown. You guys are fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2022 7:50 PM

A lot of focus on the Thomas concurrence on the news and Twitter. Very little on Kavanaugh's. He lists a number of cases, including contraception and same-sex marriage and then says the following;

"Overruling Roe does not mean the over-ruling of those precedents, and does not threaten or cast doubt on those precedents."

Not is italicized for emphasis.

I can understand being worried about the future and suspect of that promise, but if you're suicidal based on the future of gay rights, you should have the full picture. There is very little reason for Kavanaugh to include that in a concurring opinion if he doesn't mean it. It's not like Alito's majority opinion where he might be toning it down a bit to hold on to votes.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2022 7:51 PM

Big hugs

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2022 8:04 PM

Take your meds OP

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2022 8:05 PM

"There is very little reason for Kavanaugh to include that in a concurring opinion if he doesn't mean it"

And he is a liar. Why are you giving him the benefit of the doubt when he has lied again and again already?

Oh, that's right. You're a fucking moron. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote]FFS, no ruling is going stop any woman from continuing a pregnancy that she doesn't want to continue.

This is the stupidest thing I've read all day. You obviously know nothing about access to abortion--assuming you meant "from ending a pregnancy," not continuing.

When states outlaw not only abortions but travel to a "free state" to get an abortion, and mandating prosecutions for everyone who abetted (all of which they've done), what do you think's going to happen? Women are going to resort to self-butchery again.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2022 10:02 PM

I don't get why all these fucking drama Queens are acting as if somebody's forcing them to give birth to the unwanted child they were impregnated with at the Spike's orgy last Saturday.

This is not about you, stop making it your drama. When it's about you, do something, but this is not about you!

Snap the fuck out of it!

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2022 10:27 PM

can i have all your stuff OP?

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote]I don't get why all these fucking drama Queens are acting as if somebody's forcing them to give birth to the unwanted child they were impregnated with at the Spike's orgy last Saturday.

They're insane. Everything has to be drama. Everything has to be the sky is falling. Instead of channeling this energy into positive change, they would rather run around screaming that the world is ending.

And we've seen all of this before. They lose their shit in the summer and by July they're back to lazy ass voting patterns. People could mail in their fucking ballots this time and we still only have the Senate because of Vice President.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2022 10:49 PM

Hugs OP

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote]Ireland, once one of the most Catholic of countries has legalised abortion (up to 12 weeks, and for health reasons thereafter).

R39 Apples and oranges. Ireland only has a population of 5 million.

23 U.S. states have a greater population than that.

And many are blue states who won't be affected by this ruling and will still have legalized abortion.

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2022 11:31 PM

[quote] They're insane. Everything has to be drama.

I have no doubt that their private lives are complete and utter chaos. Nobody who goes around losing their shit over other people's problems can possibly have a happy, well balanced existence. Maybe they would be better off just... doing it.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2022 11:32 PM

rOP, donate to a political candidate. Write an enraged letter to a politician of your choosing. Join a civil liberties organisation. Go on a demonstration. Send Planned Parenthood some cash. Tell Susan Collins to eat shit. Do something to prove to yourself that you are not powerless.

The hard Right wants to cow people into silence. Do not comply.

Hard times need tough people. Giving up is not an option.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2022 11:53 PM

R44 how the hell do you think you can limit travel. The only way to do that is if the country becomes a military-occupied state. you would have to put the National Guard all over these states and make all women take pee tests. Stop the hyperbole. How is anyone going to know if you are getting an abortion or visiting a relative unless you tell people you are pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote] Did you think it was going to end when you're 70 with a happy sunrise and the end titles rolling and the music soaring?

Good one, r21. But now that you mention it, yes. Score by Randy Newman, all issues tied up with a nice little bow. Jaunty little outtakes from younger days. And everybody who ever annoyed me disappears. Oscar noms all around.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2022 12:11 AM

And now it begins....CLARENCE THOMAS wastes ZERO time to call for SCOTUS to overturn Gay Marriage....LINK....And Marble Mouth Nancy and Senile Joe and Soft Chuck will do nothing to stop it.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2022 12:53 AM

The door has opened for Hillary Clinton to return to the national arena. It's a great "told you so" moment that the woman could run on. Like Churchill after he was run out of office the first time. He came back!

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2022 12:55 AM

I'm going to take every single baby I now have to crap out and beat it into the face of a Republican until I hear both heads crack.

THERE'S a reason to live!

by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2022 1:01 AM

Seriously, R52? Informants, for one thing. Texas already set up a tip line months ago for people to snitch on women and their doctors. And do you think state-to-state travel and the arrangements for it are easy--if it's even possible--for anyone but well-to-do women? You people picking away at the seriousness of this are crypto-Republicans, probably the same people who think poor people deserve their problems for not "working hard enough."

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2022 1:40 AM

Bon voyage

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2022 1:48 AM

We're in for a hellish fight, but long term I think this will be a Pyrrhic victory for the right. As R2 so eloquently put it, everyone knows that conservatives don’t conserve anything and don’t care about children after they’re born. The current right wing movement took off during a lengthy bull stock market and real estate bubble. As shit continues to get real, some who obediently had a bunch of kids will regret their choices. They’ll find out that in hard times they’ll get nothing but platitudes from their heroes. There are a lot of socon women who were fine until the ox being gored was them. Dumb, malicious right wingers will speak more openly about coverture, abolishing the 19th amendment and kicking women out of the workforce entirely. A significant number of women will quietly slink away from the right.

Theocrats are all stick and no carrot and without a decent economy it’s not gonna sell quite so well. They’ll do a lot of damage to women, gays, people of color and the working class in the meantime, but the decline of church membership (and their coffers) will only gain speed after this.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2022 1:48 AM

Just let go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2022 2:17 AM

Bye ass

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2022 2:35 AM

No r55, Hillary is not the solution. People hated her back then and they will still hate her. We need fresh blood.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2022 2:50 AM

Fresh blood, who?

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2022 2:57 AM

is planned parenthood a good charity?

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2022 3:54 AM

You don't see Ukranians giving up, and things are much more dire there.

by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote] It’s too much.

Poor sweet darling baby!!

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2022 4:06 AM

We are living in the land of the Christian Taliban. This is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2022 5:32 AM

[quote] We're in for a hellish fight, but long term I think this will be a Pyrrhic victory for the right.

And then the pendulum will swing back and we'll win, and then they'll win again, and so on and so forth. There is no final victory for anyone unless we blow ourselves up, in which case we won't know who won.

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2022 6:53 PM

I know a wonderful woman who is having an extremely difficult time right now with the rise of fascism and especially the frequent mass shootings. She's intelligent and sensitive and knows very well we may be fighting a losing battle, and she's tired. But I've pointed out that good people giving up is precisely what the fuckers want. We can only be here for each other. And to continue to fight when we can.

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2022 7:37 PM

R68, I think in that scenario the bomb won.

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2022 7:53 PM

Thomas -- and maybe that new religious bitch -- may want to go after gay rights next, but I don't think it'll pan out. I'm confident though that large corporations and their lobbyists have realized we spend a LOT of MONEY, and will have enough influence to make sure (as much as they can) that it doesn't happen. Especially after Desantis and Disney.

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2022 8:01 PM

More money than women spend, r71? You are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2022 8:04 PM

Eh just remember the good times. Life isn't that bad.

People dealt with this stuff before 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2022 8:05 PM

Did I say we spend more than women? No, I didn't.

I'm talking about gay rights, not the Roe V. Wade issue, which states (and yes, some corporations are stepping up) will have to figure out.

And like many have mentioned, Ginsburg should've retired when she was asked to...

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2022 8:18 PM

Don't think corporations are going to come riding to our rescue. They'll do something performative like stop donating to GOP candidates for a month or two--then just go quietly back to giving them money, hoping nobody notices.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2022 8:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!