Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to make life easier for an alcoholic with possible (undiagnosed) WKS and possible (undiagnosed) Schizophrenia?

I’m on edge constantly and have pretty dark thoughts about myself and the world. I can still do my job, but I’m starting to not take care of myself and lay around on the job. My only comfort these days is some dopamine from my fantasies. But I’m dead to nearly everything else. Antidepressants seem to just unmask my hatred of…everything. It’s scary.

Should I seek help or give up and just “move on”?

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2022 12:00 AM

Are you the crazy person here or it someone in your life?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]My only comfort these days is some dopamine from my fantasies.

What kind of fantasies? I'm don't think I could survive without mine.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 6:57 PM

Me, OP. I’m not sure what to do. I just want to not think. If I could just enjoy pleasure forever, that would be the cure.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 6:57 PM

Sorry, I meant to tag R1 in R2. Long story short, I’m the crazy one. The rules of this universe disgust me.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 6:59 PM

*I not I'm

R2

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 7:01 PM

What makes you think you’re schizophrenic? Antidepressants aren’t used for schizophrenia…do you have a psychiatrist?

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 7:01 PM

How old are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 7:02 PM

R2, mostly fantasies where I’m either a middle class high earner with a hot boyfriend/husband (some actual person that I obsess over), or a character in a fantasy action story. Typically my family is old and powerful and I’m the rich, beautiful scion. I’m never the heir, as I don’t want to breed or have responsibility. I mostly just fuck by harem of gorgeous men and do drugs that give me eternal bliss and have magical powers and be beautiful. Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 7:02 PM

OP is Emily Thorne!

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 7:04 PM

What is WKS?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 7:04 PM

Also, from personal experience, psych medications aren’t going to work great if you’re drinking. I thought that I had crippling anxiety and major depression. After I quit drinking for a couple of weeks, the anxiety went away and my major depression and suicidal ideation turned into mild depression. Of course, I started drinking again recently and feel horrible, but at least I know why.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 7:04 PM

Most importantly, deal with the alcoholism, OP. I understand that reality is so horrible that anything that helps you escape is ok, but perhaps replace vodka with weed - it's much less harmful fir your physical and mental health. Trust me when I say that this will make a huge difference.

If course, seek proper diagnosing and treatment for your mental health issues. But from experience I know that the much-lauded "help" is not a magical cure. Still, think of it as a crutch that will help you move slowly forward.

In my opinion, the most important thing to do is try and change your life circumstances. What is making you depressed? What could make you feel better? Is there a possibility to live comfortably with only your fantasies? Think about what is goid for YOU, not what others say is good.

All in all, we're in the same boat, dear. I truly understand and commiserate. Many hugs and keep writing here. It helps. I say this also from experience.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 7:05 PM

R6, I reject a lot of reality, putting in effort, taking risks, etc. I know I have to live in it, but I don’t want to. So I either retreat to a fantasy world or just suffer through. I officially have GAD, but I know that’s not all. Im on Zoloft. I never tell my psychiatrist my real thoughts because she wouldn’t understand.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 7:05 PM

R7, I’m 35.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 7:07 PM

Is OP our lovable drunk Defuckoff?

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 7:11 PM

OP, schizophrenia tends to surface in one’s early 20s for men. Chances are, you’d know by now if you had it. What are your symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 7:12 PM

BTW, R13 is me/OP. Forgot to sign that fucker.

Thanks R6/R11. Yeah, I’ve had the willpower to quit in the past. I just feel like I’ve looked into the void and this is all pointless, but I’m still scared. It’s fucked. So I keep drinking (and smoking weed R12 :) to not think, which is very important to me. If I think, I might have to move on.

I’m not that person, R15.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 7:12 PM

You're not typing like a schizophrenic. I agree with others that you need to stop drinking first in order to get a proper diagnosis. Go to a psychiatrist and get weaned off the booze.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 7:16 PM

R16, I have extreme anxiety, talk to myself, have almost no social relationships. When people at work talk to me, I typically assume they are going to be angry about something and it’s going to make me have to speak to them and I freak out. I’ve skipped trips and visits with my college friends in the past few years. Although that’s mostly because I’m fat. But I also hate calling them. It’s just such a chore being around other people, listening to their ideas, having to reflect, think, etc. Its too stressful for me. I need comfort. So I watch YouTube reaction videos.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 7:16 PM

I just don’t want to spend my life having to think and reflect and admit being wrong. I won’t be doing that.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 7:18 PM

My issues are different, but I feel stuck as well.

I do find by removing temptations from my surroundings, I’m left with no choice but to confront the reality before me and usually some degree of clarity is found.

OP, it doesn’t sound like you have schizophrenia or WKS. But it does sound like you need to get your drinking under control as others have said. Easier said than done, of course.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 7:30 PM

R10 here. Anyone want to answer my question?

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 7:35 PM

[quote][R10] here. Anyone want to answer my question?

"Wernicke syndrome and Korsakoff syndrome (WKS) are distinct but overlapping disorders that occur due to a deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B1). Wernicke syndrome, also known as Wernicke encephalopathy, is a neurological disease characterized by three main clinical symptoms: confusion, the inability to coordinate voluntary movement (ataxia) and eye (ocular) abnormalities."

Just a guess, R10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 7:47 PM

WKS= Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome is a condition that is similar to dementia and is caused by drinking too much alcohol. Very rarely, Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome can be caused by factors other than alcohol. The majority of cases are caused by alcohol, and alcohol-related 'dementia' is the focus of this information. How much are you drinking exactly, OP?

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 7:47 PM

Holy shit. 35 with drink induced dementia?

Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 7:50 PM

R21, fair enough. I think I have WKS because I feel like I have horrible memory problems. When I’m high, I can remember glorious, happy memories from my childhood. But it’s all gone. Also, I can’t participate in complicated discussions at work like other people because I can’t remember things. And my apartment is gross. So I just stay quiet and try not to think about it. I’ve hoped for brain tumors in the past, but I think the best I can get is an embarrassing mental illness, due to booze. I wish I could just finish this all like a hero. But I’m just a fat idiot.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 7:54 PM

Take your B vitamins and eat some food at least if you're going to be an alcoholic.

Agree with others that it doesn't sound as if you're schizophrenic, just anxious. That said, if you think you are, get a proper diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 7:56 PM

I was in same sport a year ago . Dude, your frontal lobe is fucked. You can fix it, but you have to stop drinking or really cut back. Dutch Harm Reduction Model to start. You are losing executive functions. You won't be functional soon.

The schizophrenic feeling is probably from long term drinking. Don't sweat it. It too will go. I have bipolar 2, anxiety, severe insomnia, clinical depression, panic attacks, etc. I drank for 15 years and towards the end I was hallucinating with suicidal thoughts. Gone in 5 months. Start with harm reduction. The Dutch Harm Reduction Model works for everyone. B Complex. Tons or water. Like two gallons a day. Minerals. Protein. Get a good protein metal replacement powder. Bananas for potassium.

You need a shrink. Antipsychotic. Seroquel, Zymbalta, and a seizure med - lamatrodine works Sleep. Distractions - funny movies, no news or politics.. More B complex. More water. Oatmeal and psyllium husk. Shit the gas out Baked Beans, Then rebuild stromach - kefir and fermented foods, lots of yogurt. Saurjraut

You can be kinda normal in 6 months. It took me about 8. The longer you wait, the longer it will take. If you wait too long, your brain will be fried for life and you will have permanant nuerological problems. Get a shrink now.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 8:01 PM

Ha, same sport. Fucking up my brains was kinda my sport for awhile, like my full time job.. I meant same spot. No decision making, no memories, no brain. Almost lost my job, career. Get on this now.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 8:03 PM

No advice, just encouragement that you can change this. There’s some good advice here. Take it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 8:04 PM

Stop diagnosing yourself with random obscure disorders. See a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 8:06 PM

Fair enough, R31. It’s easy to assume the worst. I hate the challenge of having patience.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 8:32 PM

Why is “Matt Damon’s womanly hips” a poll option?

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 12:09 AM

Dutch Harm Reduction program mentioned above seems to be the ticket for you. You have to get off the sauce. Also you are an insufferable navel gazer in some ways acting like a troubled teen. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 12:26 AM

Don't neglect your teeth. The damage doesn't show until it's too late.

Every day try to clean up your apartment a little. Just throw a few things out or wipe off a counter or sweep the floor. One little thing every day. It is slow but you'll be surprised by the progress. It's important not to let your apartment get out of control because eventually the landlord will need to come in, and if it's a mess, you could get evicted. Plus, a sloppy disorganized home makes you depressed and makes it hard to accomplish things.

The most important thing is to not let setbacks get you down. Just start again, again, again until you get consistent (with any goal).

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2022 2:00 AM

Yes, first thing- 1. Clean your apartment. 2. Diet and exercise (which includes cutting back on booze.)

Just start with that.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2022 2:03 AM

Move to Puerto Vallarta and become an OnlyFans star!!

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2022 2:20 AM

"Wernicke syndrome is characterized by three main clinical symptoms: mental status changes (e.g., confused state), the inability to coordinate voluntary movement (ataxia) and eye abnormalities"

Doesn't sound at all like you have WK. I seen it a few times in hardcore drink all day alcoholics (both at the VA, one had cancer and was pouring alcohol into his feeding tube.

You sound awfully coherent with linear thought processes devoid of paranoia or delusions, so unlikely to be schizophrenia. The hallmark of schizophrenia is disordered thought processes with psychotic symptoms. Men tend to develop it around 17-25. Women tend to get it a little later.

Sorry to say this but you may have personality disorder. Go take a MMPI test with a neuropsychologist. And stop the EtoH, that may be causing your psych symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2022 2:34 AM

But I would take some thiamine daily while you are drinking for protection.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2022 2:35 AM

It sounds somewhat like HPD, histrionic personality disorder. Have you considered that? There are medications.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2022 2:45 AM

Further on HPD, I believe it’s something to explore with a mental health professional. Doesn’t a lot at the link ring true? You’ve exhibited several symptoms just in this brief thread (look at the last one). There is help.

SYMPTOMS: A person with this disorder might,

- Be uncomfortable unless they are the center of attention - Dress provocatively and/or exhibit inappropriately seductive or flirtatious behavior - Shift emotions rapidly - Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity - Be overly concerned with physical appearance - Constantly seek reassurance or approval - Be gullible and easily influenced by others - Be excessively sensitive to criticism or disapproval - Have a low tolerance for frustration and be easily bored by routine, often beginning projects without finishing them or skipping from one event to another - Not think before acting - Make rash decisions - Be self-centered and rarely show concern for others - Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others - Threaten or attempt suicide to get attention

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2022 3:06 AM

In any case, please report back, OP. Someone out there cares.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2022 3:39 AM

OP = It is important to recognize where your mental illness came from. For example, My Grandmother was insane. My mother is insane. My sister was insane. My brother has a great job and is married but never had kids and I know it was because he knows our genetic septic tank.. OP = Basically I am saying call your granny or mother and confront them about their defective genes.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2022 4:12 AM

OP, this isn’t rhetorical. We need to know you’re OK and that you’ve hear all of the other people here concerned for you based upon your posts. Please update (and ask a professional about HPD)!

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2022 7:45 AM

I’m still here, R44. I just went to sleep. I appreciate the thoughts about HPD, but it definitely doesn’t fit. I’m a severe introvert and the very thought of anyone knowing about any of my issues in real life makes me terrified. I’m traditionally more of a Cluster C, super anxious, terrified, assume everyone is mad at me. But antidepressants have kind of muted the nervousness and made me more angry. I realize that I think differently (probably wrongly, i.e. back to cluster A) and hate this entire meaningless farce. I have to waste effort on the most ridiculous things and it’s never enough. Everyone just wants more and more conflict all the time. We just can’t let things be. Fantasy is much simpler and quieter. I make it though thanks to fantasies and funny DL threads.

I know that probably made no sense, so thank fuck this place is anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2022 12:24 PM

Glad you're with us, OP. I think you'll be fine. Perhaps it'll be best for you if you look for some kind of alternative spaces and activities (and people) for yourself. Stray off the beaten path, it's making you miserable. Are you any good at some kind of art? No need to be a genius. Just enough to make a living and exist in a more bearable atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2022 8:53 PM

Your description sounds more like schizoid personality disorder. While it has the schizo prefix in the name, spd is not schizophrenia. Or possibly avoidant personality disorder. In any case you don't sound psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2022 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!