Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ways in which your parents have embarrassed you around The Gay

My glamour lesbian sister tells this amusing story.

During a performance of Marlene with Sian Phillips in the West End ... as Marlene passionately kissed her young female assistant our father reached around his box seat wall to nudge my sister in the neighbouring box as if to say, here you go, Miss Lesbian, something for you.

Every eye in the house saw this as the box seats were near the stage and bathed in a bit of light. She was mortified. I so wish I had been there. We still laugh about it.

What about you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 8:09 PM

My Mum set-up a dating profile for me because I said I was giving up on men. I didn't find out about it till she came to me holding a laptop and said: "I've found you a man! 6' 2", a Doctor, likes cooking and bottoms."

I think we both needed a fainting couch when I had to explain that liking bottoms didn't mean what she thought it meant! She decided the gay dating world was a bit too treacherous for her after that.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 10:49 AM

Marlene has always been a bit of fun. Especially, drunk!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 10:50 AM

My dad still thinks it's a phase I'm going through. My dad is 95 and I'm 68 🙄

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 10:54 AM

When my mum told Ant Bert at a picnic that I was “a gay”.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 10:55 AM

R1. J'adore your Jewish mother.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 11:45 AM

Ha! No, not Jewish, but I see where you're coming from. My Mother is like Penny from the TV series Miranda. She's fine with me being gay, but being single at a family function? Nightmare!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 11:55 AM

It's weird you posted that, OP. I just looked up Sian Phillips on wikipedia yesterday to see if she was still alive and what she was doing now. I'd been thinking about a children's TV series I saw as a child in which she'd played a witch but it wasn't on the article, I found it on imdb instead.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 7:45 PM

and is she still alive? She played the aged Livia in I, Claudius 50 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 8:05 PM

She's 89 and still working.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 8:08 PM

A few Covent Garden queens told me Sian Phillips lives with two elder gays who dote on her. No idea if it's true.

The fabulous Miss Sian Phillips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 8:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!