Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'We are human beings': Transgender rugby player says ban is punishment

Transgender former rugby player Caroline Layt said she was assaulted by her teammates nearly two decades ago, and now she fears a new generation of players is being punished for being themselves.

The Australian decried rugby league's world governing body after it announced a ban Tuesday on transgender players in international fixtures while it undertakes research to finalise a new policy in 2023.

Layt played rugby before and after her transition, a three-year process involving hormones and finally surgery in 1998.

She went on to play successfully in top women's sides including representing New South Wales in rugby league, but her time in the sport was often tough.

In 2005 people found out she was transgender, and perceptions of her changed.

"I went from the penthouse to the outhouse," Layt said in an interview with AFP.

The 56-year-old former player, now a journalist and activist for transgender athletes, said she was "physically assaulted" by some fellow players during club training in 2005.

The following year, playing for another side, Layt said she was targeted for injury on the field by opponents.

"Some of those players have since apologised to me," she said.

"There's a couple that have not and would not have changed in their outlook or attitude, but the ones that have: I really appreciate that and consider them friends."

Rugby league's decision now to exclude transgender women is "really disappointing", she said.

Layt said the league had decided to "jump on the bandwagon", a day after international swimming effectively banned transgender athletes from women's races, placing them instead in a new "open category". - Singled out -

Swimming body FINA said male-to-female transgender athletes could only join women's races if they had not experienced any part of male puberty, deciding that it conferred a physical advantage even after hormone suppression.

"We are human beings, we have feelings, and we feel like we are being singled out," Layt said.

"I transitioned a long, long time ago," she added.

"They don't seem to listen to the fact that it is inherent, and it is also intrinsic to us that we were female from a very early age."

Layt said she felt she was a girl when she was four years old, and if society had been different at the time she might not have had to go through male puberty.

"We get punished for transitioning, we also get punished for having to go through puberty," Layt said.

"Basically what they're saying is: 'We don't want you.'"

She rejected the argument that transgender women necessarily had a physiological advantage over cisgender athletes.

"We are not all the same height, the same weight, the same size," Layt said.

She called on the sporting authorities to establish scientific standards on a case-by-case basis, for example by setting a number of years after transition before transgender athletes can compete at an elite level.

For now, she would not encourage transgender girls and young women to play rugby.

"I would tell them to hide," she said. "Or go play a sport that is inclusive."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 12:43 PM

Zowie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 4:54 AM

Well, at least she's kind of passing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 4:55 AM

Additional reading:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 5:01 AM

[quote] For now, she would not encourage transgender girls and young women to play rugby. "I would tell them to hide," she said. "Or go play a sport that is inclusive."

And then there's the sensible response: Join a MEN'S rugby team. Very inclusive, since they are MEN.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 5:03 AM

So glad Wy is getting some exercise in the fresh air instead of helping me hand wash our good Pottery Barn duvet to get the rest of mom’s brains out of it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 5:03 AM

Yes, they are humans. Male humans.

I really hope we've reached peak trans and this shit will go the fuck away now and that it's in time for the Democrats to pull back from their current trans bandwagon jumping since we all know that the reason they are on the bandwagon to start with is that they think supporting the transtapo is akin to supporting gays. If only we'd been able to drop the T faster.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 5:07 AM

Why does he want to hit women so badly?

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 5:07 AM

R7 To annihilate the evidence before his eyes of what he is not and can never, EVER be.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 5:12 AM

R2 Actually she does pass. Lots of older women look just like her.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 5:20 AM

[quote]Actually she does pass. Lots of older women look just like her.

In the UK, for sure. Not so much in other parts of the world where women tend to age more gracefully. I think that’s why there are so many British terfs — they are not happy with having more competition.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 6:04 AM

It's really not. Just play on a team with the gender you were born, not chose or join a co-ed team.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 6:05 AM

Oh, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 6:25 AM

Why is they bitching about an open category in swimming. That is inclusive without shitting on real women.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 6:28 AM

r13 Because that's exactly opposite of what they want. They want to shit on real women, invade real women's spaces, steal real women's spots instead of inclusive for all (esp. their fellow men or males or whatever), open, third spaces.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 6:33 AM

[quote] people found out she was transgender

by [bold]looking[/bold] at her?

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 6:47 AM

You're just mean R15. You probably pass beautiful trans life forms daily and never even know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 6:51 AM

We must end misgendering and deadnaming! You would never know this human life form was born in the wrong body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 6:54 AM

Fuck. Human beings who want to take advantage of a whole group of other human beings who are not as athletically capable as they are, like adults taking advantage of pre-teens. Pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 7:07 AM

It is not a right for men to play in female sport just because they think they're "women."

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 7:24 AM

So sick of this "trans women banned from athletic competition!!" nonsense. They can compete, but in the men's categories, so it's not a ban, it's reality. Fuck the media with their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 7:25 AM

They really love to whine.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 8:11 AM

Why don't MTF try wrestling with adult gorillas and see how well they do. Similar species, very different abilities. (very similar species)

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 8:12 AM

Her stance is very feminine.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 8:25 AM

Hey they can even wrestle FEMALE gorillas.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 8:28 AM

Why don’t these whiners form their own leagues and compete against other transgender women? Of course, that would mean they would have to do the work themselves, instead of invading established organizations and demanding privileges.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 8:40 AM

Stunning brave and totally passes!

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 8:43 AM

And what about the women who were benched because a trans player came in? What about the women injured by trans athletes because of the strength differential. I notice the possibility that there might be another side to the story never seems to occur to these whiners.

R16, No, transwomen really don't pass--some look attractive, but there are tells--height, shoulder width, shoulder/hip ratio, jawbone angle, forehead angle, eye socket orbs, hand size. The ones who go the puberty blocker route pass better, of course, but even in that case there are tells if you really want to know. Someone like Lia Thomas will never pass.

Male and female skeletons are different. Which kind of makes the whole genital examination thing ridiculous, there are other ways to tell. The only exception is with some of the intersex conditions.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 8:43 AM

"Layt played rugby before and after her transition, a three-year process involving hormones and finally surgery in 1998."

Ask for a refund, you're still a man.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 8:45 AM

You never see transmen wanting to play on men's teams.

As ever, it's all about men taking things away from women.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 9:05 AM

If it weren't competitive, it wouldn't matter. But when you're competing, you want fair advantages ONLY.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 9:19 AM

Sarah, Duchess of Pork

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 9:19 AM

[quote] Well, at least she's kind of passing.

Passing for what, a wildebeest?

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 9:37 AM

HE looks just like a man in a wig, r9. For all that "transitioning", the most "womanly" he can look is like a frumpy, fat, middle-aged woman, when carefully photographed and touched up from the chest up and only from certain angles. Otherwise, he looks like a fat, middle-aged man with a huge beer gut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 9:49 AM

[quote]Why don’t these whiners form their own leagues and compete against other transgender women?

Amen! Besides, lots of sports fans would watch the more powerful and skilled trans athletes instead of the less gifted women in physically demanding sports such as basketball (unless the WNBA replaces their players with super-hot babes in string bikinis.)

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2022 9:51 AM

Transh Talk! My favorite radio show!

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 9:52 AM

Those arms give her away as a genetic male.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 9:52 AM

Looks like they moved her vagina about a foot higher and put it front and center.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 9:54 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2022 9:54 AM

R36. Why are you calling him 'her"?

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2022 9:55 AM

[quote]"We are human beings, we have feelings, and we feel like we are being singled out," Layt said.

This is not about your lil feelings, Rose. It's about fair play - the basis of every sport and something you and your ilk clearly need to be acquainted with.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 9:55 AM

Q: What do MTFs have in common with biological female basketball players?

A: They don’t pass very well.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 10:07 AM

what a fucked up spectacle we've become.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 10:17 AM

I identify as a millionaire, but when I went to the store and told them this, they still wouldn't let me leave with all the luxury goods I wanted. This is literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 10:41 AM

It's not fair for regular women to have to compete against a big, tall, musclier-than-women transwoman. It is NOT FAIR. Start a league for transexuals and transvestites. Leave women's leagues alone. No violence, but no.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 10:48 AM

R16, it’s weird!! I look at that picture and even though it’s a completely female attired body, my mind jumps to the face and goes, DUDE. Why does that happen?

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 10:50 AM

There is no such thing as "regular women". There are only Women.

There is no such thing as "transwomen". There is no such thing as "transexuals". There are only Men.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 10:52 AM

Because you, R45, and anyone else who dares to notice what's right in front of their eyes is an anti-trans loon, or so we're told.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 10:52 AM

Why do you think that men and women can't compete against each other? What are the reasons? The physical differences! The differences are what it's all about! So, women compete against people like them. This person is NOT like other women. I'm sorry it hurts, but her presence gives her side a big, physical advantage that's unfair. How can the physical differences be ignored for one "woman" but women who want to compete against men cannot be ignored / accepted?

I'll stop now. I'm tired.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 11:06 AM

Nope. Doesn't pass. At all. Big, burly bruiser - check out those meaty forearms and hands. Imagine that clattering into a female on a football pitch?

Also fat distribution - yes, women get flabby guts too, but fat is also distributed around the ass and thighs. Men tend to accumulate fat around the mid-section - just like this guy. This is not a woman; it's a failed, self-hating man.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 11:17 AM

[quote]Layt played rugby before and after her transition, a three-year process involving hormones and finally surgery in 1998.

Wow, the "transition" REALLY didn't take, did it? He also looks like he's putting in no effort whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 11:43 AM

Dude does not look a lady.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 12:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!