Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A/C / Furnace Replacement

My A/C stopped working today, and someone is coming out Fri. to tlook at it. It's 24 years old, so I may need to get a new one. So what is a ballpark figure for a new A/C? The house is just over 1000 sq feet. I'm in theMidwest.

Also, the furnace is 24 years old. Should I get that replaced at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 10:58 AM

My cousin in Philadelphia called me last week to ask if my Fuckbuddy knew anyone in the heating& air conditioning business cause her A/C died. He recommended a good buddy who was honest& knew his shit. He checked A/C& the furnace too. Shawn said $12,000.00 FOR BOTH. They were installed this week.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 4:30 AM

Do without it. The heat increases the natural life forces, aka the libido. Embrace nature.

Air conditioners use hydrofluorocarbons that are devastating to the environment. Freon is a greenhouse gas. Every time you use an air conditioner for a week, it's equivalent to a 500 mile trip by private plane.

Electricity in general is a net negative to the environment, but if you want a gentler carbon footprint, invest in some oscillating fans and adjust to the earth's natural climate as it is. You'll be doing that sooner or later, or your kids or grandchildren will.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 4:36 AM

A few years ago, I installed a new system in a previously window-unit, 1.2sqft house and paid 6K.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 4:38 AM

I just had to replace my central A/C last month. The new one is a Trane, 3 ton, high efficiency, variable speed unit. The price was $4,500.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 4:44 AM

R2, freon hasn't been used in decades...time to update your talking points.

If your unit is that old, you'll probably need to upgrade your furnace also. Both of them will run you about $12k. Definitely worth it, and you may get some sort of incentive, ie tax credit.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 5:00 AM

OP, does the furnace use the same vents and fan as the central air? The inside evaporator coil for the AC may need to be replaced because it won’t be matched with the new outside condenser coil that by law will be using a different refrigerant than your 24-year old AC system. If a new inside coil won’t fit where the old one was, and it’s situated in the same HVAC system as the furnace, you may have no choice but to replace the furnace as well.

In general when replacing central AC or a heat pump that provides both heating and cooling, it’s better to replace the inside coil with a new one that’s matched to the new outside coil. Find the best installer you can, because a poor installation job can shorten the life of an HVAC system and cause it to run less efficiently, leading to larger AC bills and more use of energy.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 8:57 AM

I replaced my CAC and heat with Fujitsu mini-splits - one 18,000 BTU unit for most of the be house, and a 9,000 BTU for my large bedroom. Total cost $6700. Best decision I could have made. My electric bill in the summer hasn't been over $100 and it cools the house better than my CAC did (my house is all windows so not very energy efficient. In the winter it's fine until the temp gets below 10 degrees, then I use a space heater.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 10:44 AM

I meant to say that I add a space heater to whatever room I'm in when the outside temp drops below 10, because all the windows force the mini-splits to run full time when it gets that cold. And I should add that I've had the mini-splits for a year now, so both a full summer and winter.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 10:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!