Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boston's amazing new Mayor! Let immigrants run the country whose values they appreciate and uphold.

Unlike the stupid entitled zombies who attacked the Capitol.

"The daughter of Taiwanese immigrants, Michelle Wu became the first woman, first person of color, first mother and first millennial to run the city of Boston.

Wu’s personal experiences have made her deeply aware of gaps in civic services. At 22, Wu put her consultancy job in Boston on hold and moved to Illinois to take care of her mother, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and her two younger sisters. Barely out of college herself, she became head of the family, moving her loved ones to Boston and enrolling her sibling in the public school system."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2022 12:29 AM

She’s American

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 2:55 AM

Not to racist OP, she isn't.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 2:57 AM

Sum Ting Wong!

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 3:00 AM

Rosie O'Donnell has issued a statement, congratulating the new mayor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 3:01 AM

Typical. Any thread about anything Asian and the racists come out. At least the word chink isn’t casually thrown around like it was in that thread about the sunk Hong Kong restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Bostonian here. It’s true Mayor Wu has had to deal with some severely racist bullshit… different unions (read: low-middle class white men) have created some really awful memes and nicknames. That is reprehensible and indefensible.

But as a citizen who doesn’t pay attention to many local issues vs. national politics, some of her missteps that have caught my attention are close to inexcusable.

1) She instituted a fee for North End restaurants to offer outdoor dining. This fee was not leveled against any other restaurant in any other neighborhood. Supposedly this was to help offset the loss of parking in such a compact ‘hood, but it was never really well explained.

2) City roads are being realigned in order to make them more bike/pedestrian-friendly. That’s great except it makes traffic AWFUL. I drive less than the average Bostonian but even my life is impacted by this nonsense. And when I am not driving, I’m *still getting run down by cyclists on sidewalks!

3) Probably most pressing: her ideas and strategy to deal with our severe problem with drug addicts plaguing a specific concentration of roads and neighborhoods seems to be without any direction. Every week we are told the troubled areas have been cleared out, but within two days those areas are still reeling with strung-out “Walking Dead” types.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 3:17 AM

^ Good. Sounds like she's working and Boston's citizens are paying attention. That's the way polity should work in a mature democracy.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 3:35 AM

I like her. I basically think the only chance this country has is if Gen X and Millennial women get together and start running things.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 7:57 PM

R6 why don’t you cycle instead?

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 8:05 PM

Is she doing good things?

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 12:11 AM

Because a bicycle doesn’t fit the need k have for it. And no, I’m not talking about the size of my ass. I do just fine taking public transport… and that has declined quite a bit with many of the drug-addicted and homeless now plaguing the subway lines, but that is a state-controlled entity and I digress.

When I drive, as little as I do, it’s mainly for carrying large items/packages home or trips out of town.

However thank you, R9, for your excellent question.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2022 7:48 AM

Her chief of staff last winter was widely mocked for calling for snow plow equity.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 7:57 AM

Wait, she's a mother?

I would have had no idea, after it was used extensively in her campaign!

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 8:06 AM

Anna May Wong!

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2022 8:58 AM

Why would she use the word mother? Is she a TERF? There are multiple other words that are more inclusive she could have used. Womb carriers, birthing parent, uterus owner, ovary possessor. She needs to do better if she wants my vote for re-election. The queer community is not going to re-elect TERFS.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2022 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!