Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles M. Blow column on the pushback against gay rights

It's a good column, but the comments indicate that it's not just DL having trouble with grafting the T onto LGB:

"After marriage equality prevailed, LGBT orgs like HRC seemed to coalesce around a goal of abolishing the gender binary, something LGB people were never consulted about and something with which most of us strenuously disagree. Now we're faced with the fallout - rising anger towards our community, attempts to roll back our rights and more. The conflation of gender identity with sexual orientation and lumping us all under the same political umbrella has been an absolute and unmitigated political disaster. You can blame Republicans all you want - but the orgs claiming to represent us handed them and the right the very tools they needed to bring the destruction down on our heads we're seeing today."

"L.G.B.T.Q. proponents might want to contend with the sympathy the cause has lost over the years, thanks to edicts which defy biology as most people understand it and inclination to silence and punish any doubters in your own camp (the GOP obviously doesn't care), known familiarly as "cancel culture"."

"This is just the result of too much too soon. The messaging has become muddled and the ever-growing list of numbers, characters, and colors to represent what should be a simple concept is the most visible example."

These are NY Times readers — liberals — in favor of LGB rights in general. I wish they had voices in the pages of the Times, not just the comment section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2022 10:32 AM

Blow SUCKS but he's right here. He's also going to have the scalpers after him for this column, though based on recent developments I don't think they'll succeed in causing him much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 2:01 AM

Blow does suck--he is like the screaming queen of the Times Op-Ed

[bold] But those are NOT Blow's comments R1 [/bold]

They are comments from NYT readers.

I suspect they represent a call that went out to the Anti-T community, the same ones who post on DL, more than the generic NYT commentariat

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 2:04 AM

I said not long ago that the NYT was stating to shift away from the Ts. Remember they had a long-time trans columnist who they dropped supposedly to the transgender wanting to retire?

The next step will be columns written by detransitioners.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 2:06 AM

^^To be clear, Blow's column is mostly about the shit the Texas Republicans are up to around gay rights, while the commenters have turned it into a debate on The Trans

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 2:07 AM

"I am progressive. However the LGBTQ community has jumped the shark with the trans issue. Not only i the minds of conservatives, but amongst many on the left. Many really reasonable people on the left."

Another comment.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 2:08 AM

In much the same way that insane Trumpists have hijacked the WSJ opinion column to call their Editorial Board "RINOs" and worse, Blow's column seems to have been hijacked by the "We Hate Trans Club"

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 2:10 AM

I love when the commenters write the real article that we’re not supposed to read or even think about.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 2:10 AM

[quote]Blow's column seems to have been hijacked by the "We Hate Trans Club"

There's not one comment in that whole section that is remotely hateful toward trans people. Just a lot of people who don't see the connection between LGB issues and T issues.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 2:12 AM

The Most Popular comments have nothing to do with Trans-- they are all about gay rights and straight people turning on gays.

There is even one from DL Eldergay:. I believe I have read these same words on this board many times:

[quote] I was never one to trust my straight co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances, or even family members... especially religious or republican ones. I always assumed that, sooner or later, they would turn on me. And so I think my caution and wariness is now validated. I won't go back into the closet, such as it is, but I will remain ever vigilant in this hostile society. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 2:13 AM

R6 you're seeing the anger of liberals who are tired of the NYT portraying them as being okay with sterilizing kids, 12-year olds having mastectomies, drag queens reading to kids on the taxpayer dime and Lia Thomas-types.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 2:13 AM

Blow has shown himself to be a thin skinned, histrionic narcissist with delusions of grander. Truly, who give a flying FUCK what he prints? If he spent more time licking all the pussy he claims to love, then he wouldn't have so much spare time on his hands to pontificate about anything relating to gay people. Seriously he is one of the worst d bags in media.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 2:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 2:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 2:34 AM

I love Charles Blow. He tells it like it is. I wish he were in TV more often.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 2:36 AM

R11 sounds like you want him to fuck you and you were rejected.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 2:36 AM

The concept of the gender binary is complete bullshit. Just another way to reinforce gender roles and erase gay men and lesbians who are the OGs of the “queer movement”!!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 2:38 AM

r12 Lol, seems like 'lesbians' wanting to be 'gay men' has been going on for a long time then. r15 Hi Charles! Hows the wife?

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote] [R15] Hi Charles! Hows the wife?

You slid into his DMs and got blocked. That probably happens to you a lot. Don't be sad.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 2:54 AM

[quote]"This is just the result of too much too soon. The messaging has become muddled and the ever-growing list of numbers, characters, and colors to represent what should be a simple concept is the most visible example."

At no point do those quotes appear in the article you linked.

If you wanna hate on trans people knock yourself the fuck out. But stop making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 2:55 AM

Oh I see. Ignore my reaction at R19.

Charles Blow wrote something about the GOP attack on gay rights and you took a random online comment and decided it was worth discussion more than Republican attacks on gay rights.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 2:59 AM

R19, He’s quoting the comments!!! Read next time!

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 2:59 AM

Conservatives have expanded the fight “from gay marriage to what they saw as an increasing prevalence and acceptance of queerness as natural and of L.G.B.T.Q. people as equals,” writes @CharlesMBlow . "'Queerness" is not clearly defined on purpose. It's a term that embraces straight men like Rachel Levine, straight women "allies" and increasingly pedos.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 2:59 AM

r18 Dear GOD you are ridiculous. I am a 30 year old from Australia, only only know about this fucktard from his garbage hot takes in the media. That you think my dislike of him comes from some weird sexual slight is borderline unhinged.

Why someone on data lounge of all places is defending some sanctimonious closet case (who only came out in order to further his career late in life and as a source to dunk on the 'awful gays') is beyond me. Unless you are actually Blow....which wouldnt surprise me all.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 3:02 AM

Please, these are the same trolls we see in DL and they use the same language.

The NY Times is desperate for conservative comments so prints all of them, no matter how ridiculousz

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 3:02 AM

What a coincidence—this is the current political tactic of the GOP and lo and behold NYTimes comments show up confirming the same stance.

You can always tell their troll comments when they start with “I’m progressive but…”

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 3:05 AM

[Quote] 'Queerness" is not clearly defined on purpose. It's a term that embraces straight men like Rachel Levine, straight women "allies" and increasingly pedos.

Troll speech equating gays to pedos

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 3:06 AM

OP, the main body of the quoted portion of the article speaks of LGBTQs - that 'LGB' shit at the beginning and end of your post is your addition, not anything from the article.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 3:11 AM

I would love to read it if it wasn’t for that fucking NYT paywall.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 3:12 AM

No, R26, equating "queerness" to pedos.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote] [R18] Dear GOD you are ridiculous. I am a 30 year old from Australia, only only know about this fucktard from his garbage hot takes in the media. That you think my dislike of him comes from some weird sexual slight is borderline unhinged. Why someone on data lounge of all places is defending some sanctimonious closet case (who only came out in order to further his career late in life and as a source to dunk on the 'awful gays') is beyond me. Unless you are actually Blow....which wouldnt surprise me all.

Your response to his opposition to current the conservative campaign to roll back gay rights = Blow needs to "spent more time licking all the pussy he claims to love." You claim that Blow is a "closet case" and also criticize him for coming out. And you believe that only Charles Blow himself would find you commentary to be absolutely ridiculous.

He spoke up for gay rights. Was is there to defend. He doesn't need to be defended.

[quote] Blow has shown himself to be a thin skinned, histrionic narcissist with delusions of grander. Truly, who give a flying FUCK what he prints? If he spent more time licking all the pussy he claims to love, then he wouldn't have so much spare time on his hands to pontificate about anything relating to gay people. Seriously he is one of the worst d bags in media.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote] Dear GOD you are ridiculous. I am a 30 year old from Australia, only only know about this fucktard from his garbage hot takes in the media. That you think my dislike of him comes from some weird sexual slight is borderline unhinged. Why someone on data lounge of all places is defending some sanctimonious closet case (who only came out in order to further his career late in life and as a source to dunk on the 'awful gays') is beyond me. Unless you are actually Blow....which wouldnt surprise me all.

Your response to his opposition to the current conservative campaign to roll back gay rights = Blow needs to "spend more time licking all the pussy he claims to love." You claim that Blow is a "closet case" and also criticize him for coming out. And you believe that only Charles Blow himself would find you commentary to be absolutely ridiculous.

He spoke up for gay rights. What is there to defend. He doesn't need to be defended.

[quote] Blow has shown himself to be a thin skinned, histrionic narcissist with delusions of grander. Truly, who give a flying FUCK what he prints? If he spent more time licking all the pussy he claims to love, then he wouldn't have so much spare time on his hands to pontificate about anything relating to gay people. Seriously he is one of the worst d bags in media.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 3:27 AM

r31 Only because its now in his interest to, he was crickets for years while being an obvious queen. I dont need scraps from a nobody. There are better writers, and better gay role models than him. Jog on.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 3:30 AM

Another recent story about an Antifa guy in Minnesota who is a director of a "progressive" program to connect . . . wait for it . . . kids to prisoners. Using birthday cards and letters. Gee that sounds like innocent fun.

He has a child sexual abuse conviction and is on the sex offender registry. Pedos do not get "cured". They just find new avenues to connect with kids.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 3:32 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2022 3:36 AM

Gays don't have a damn thing to do with trans, and that goes way back. Speaking quite frankly majority of gays (at least from certain demographics) wanted nothing to do with trans anymore than their straight peers.

Trans and their supporters latched onto gay equality movement and successes such as SSM to push their agenda for fear of being left out. It didn't help that Obama, Biden and other democrats jumped on that bandwagon. Now we're all possibly going to pay a high price for this foolishness.

Some gay men may prefer femmy sort of guys/boys, this incudes the occasional drag queen. But key difference is none of them want to change their gender.

Gays fought long and hard battles to stop being labeled as mentally ill. Trans by simple definition *are* just that, and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has dozens of entries as proof.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 3:38 AM

Charles Blow is something of a high priest in the most fanatical of woke circles. If even he is doubting the legitimacy of the new religion of "born in the wrong body" then the tide really is turning.

Unless he's decried as a TERF. I wouldn't count it out.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 3:38 AM

R28, I can't use gift tokens because there's a limit on url length. I wish Muriel would relent on that but I'm sure she has her reasons.

Here's an archive version. Anyone can do this if you try even just a little bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 3:41 AM

[quote] Charles Blow is something of a high priest in the most fanatical of woke circles. If even he is doubting the legitimacy of the new religion of "born in the wrong body" then the tide really is turning. Unless he's decried as a TERF. I wouldn't count it out.

The article is about the conservative movement against gay rights. It is not about trans. You lunatic trans fanatics are attempting to make it about trans. Because you make everything about trans.

Having said that anyone using woke as a pejorative probably supports the anti gay conservative movement.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2022 3:45 AM

I don't know who's more delusional; men who put on dresses and demand to be called women. Or their supporters/champions.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2022 3:46 AM

r17 The conflict is thoroughly wrapped up in feminism. . . the more virulently oppsoed to trans aren't opposed to all trans but rather males in general and ultimately view gay men as the one true perp. Ultimaely, they want to retain the gender ideology but eliminate the trans' claim on it. similar to the hypocrises of the religious nutters that require a scapegoat, a sacrificial lamb in order to retain control over the masses... to which we have this argument for horseshoe theory. the former will say it's about the equality between men and women, the latter will express that g-d is love.... and yet what we witness, even in their own dialogue, is a call to supremacy, destruction and hatred in this sleight of hand game.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 5:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 5:06 AM

[quote] they want to retain the gender ideology but eliminate the trans' claim on it.

"Trans" claim on gender ideology? Which is what exactly? That a man can *SNAP* "transition" into a woman by stuffing himself with hormones and putting on a dress? Or worse, simply deciding "It's Tuesday. I feel like I'm a woman today".?

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 5:08 AM

[quote] Blow's column seems to have been hijacked by the "We Hate Trans Club"

It’s the right wing anti-trans troll. He has no life.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 5:20 AM

Who the fuck are these pro-trans weirdos who are always defending this trans bullshit? Who is paying them to blindly defend such nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 5:24 AM

No, the question is who is paying the anti-trans troll to post comments on both DL and NYTimes using the same hateful language?

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 5:29 AM

There's nothing "anti" about questions, criticism or descent. Unless you find reality abhorrent.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 5:32 AM

Erratum R46 dissent, not descent

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 5:33 AM

I do.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 5:33 AM

Can someone paste the article

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 7:22 AM

I read the comments on the article and there are just as many, if not more, comments of the "I don't agree gay people should've ever got marriage, because TRADITION and GOD and the BIBLE, but don't you dare call me a bigot! Treat gay people well but they shouldn't have marriage and I would take it away again if I could!" variety.

These people never want gay people to have the same rights they have, and they would absolutely still be coming after us if transgendered people didn't exist. It's suicide to think otherwise, and just plays into their hands. We all divide ourselves against each other and they can take away all of our rights.

I'm one gay guy at least who won't be tricked into turning on trans people. Anyone worried about gay rights and the state of them should realise we are all stronger together and the obvious plan to 'divide and conquer' by these fascists.

And just to be clear, I'm not against discussion. It's not wrong that sexual orientation and gender identity are different things. It may be a really good thing for trans activists to create a movement that focuses especially on their own needs rather than us all being lumped in together (though I personally quite like the umbrella approach). And personally I don't get the whole nonbinary thing, it goes very much against my thoughts about how we are as humans and I find it weirdly conservative thinking in a way, but I won't treat others with disrespect because of that.

Oh, and most people on Twitter, trans or otherwise, are nuts.

I know others here aren't going to want to calm down with the anti-trans stuff, but if you really do care what's happening to gay rights, I really urge you to stop being a pawn in the games of the right-wing fascists.

That's my 2c anyway.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 7:48 AM

The Transgender Cult is like Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings, whispering into a once-noble King's ear, corrupting and controlling him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 8:03 AM

R11? Sounds like you're the one with "delusions of grander."

Instead of sullying DL with your delusions of grandeur, perhaps you should crack a dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2022 8:20 AM

[quote] And personally I don't get the whole nonbinary thing, it goes very much against my thoughts about how we are as humans

Then you can fuck all the way off! We don’t need your faux support. Accept all of us or none of us. You sound like a bigot. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2022 9:24 AM

Here, R49:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2022 10:50 AM

Blow needs to be on medication. That bitch is ALWAYS a major downer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2022 11:28 AM

Thanks R13. I’d never heard of ‘packing’.

I wonder how Nan Michiganwomyn felt about it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2022 11:43 AM

He has the ugliest name ever.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2022 11:50 AM

R53, I should probably explain myself.

To be 'nonbinary' means you accept the gender binary as a real thing. I don't think the gender binary is a real thing. A male doesn't have to fit traditional notions of masculinity, else he's nonbinary. Nor does a woman have to fit traditional notions of femininity, else she's nonbinary. This seems to be a term now used for what would've been called, say, tomboys, when I was growing up.

It was very important to me growing up to show that we could be interested in whatever we liked, and present ourselves anyway we liked and still be considered valid as males.

I'm not a bigot, I already said I completely accept that others use this term for themselves and I will use whatever pronouns people wish to use in that case.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2022 11:53 AM

"Non-binary" was adopted because it sounds far more hip, cooler, edgy that what it is in reality: non-gender conforming.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2022 11:58 AM

That means the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2022 12:45 PM

I swear some of you cunts will spend your final days explaining to the guards in the internment camps that you're not one of those icky trannys and they can let you go. And the guards will knock you unconscious with a pistol and just laugh and laugh and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2022 6:02 AM

R61 Hyperbole much? Historical ignorance much?

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2022 6:14 AM

[Quote]I read the comments on the article and there are just as many, if not more, comments of the "I don't agree gay people should've ever got marriage, because TRADITION and GOD and the BIBLE, but don't you dare call me a bigot! Treat gay people well but they shouldn't have marriage and I would take it away again if I could!" variety.

Copy and paste a few of them please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2022 6:39 AM

Right on time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2022 10:03 AM

R37: you can shorten the too-long URL here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2022 10:07 AM

Translunacy does love to glom on.

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2022 10:09 AM

R63, why the hell would I make that up?

People have posted the link above, including non-paywalled links. Look it up yourself.

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2022 10:39 AM

R67, because you’re the right wing anti-trans troll.

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2022 5:42 PM

[quote]drag queens reading to kids on the taxpayer dime

Putting trans issues aside (and as we know from Marsha P. Johnson, drag queens aren't trans people anyway), drag queens reading to kids is a fantastic idea and extremely effective. Small children love dress-up. They're especially fascinated by dressing up as something completely wild and different (like dressing as clowns, or like boys dressing as girls). Meanwhile, drag queens are performers, and they're not into nuance, either - they go for big bold gestures. That makes them perfect at reading to small children. There's a reason why drag queens at libraries took off on such a big scale - it's hugely entertaining for kids and it gets them into reading and stories from a very young age.

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2022 7:17 PM

Democrats are fucking idiots. While they've been whistling past the graveyard, concerned with pronouns and the aforementioned (and idiotic) drag queen story hour, (sorry, 69, it's a dumb idea and no hill to die on) Republicans have been organizing to take basic rights away. So here we are.

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2022 7:23 PM

This drag queen freakout is serving Taliban realness.

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]because you’re the right wing anti-trans troll.

So, the original criticism was because I was being pro-trans, and that therefore makes me anti-trans? Stop embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2022 7:20 AM

We find the 'fish-friendly' attitude among modern sisters to be quite bizarre.

In our day the fish (aka the str8 female) and the sister were mortal enemies.

Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2022 8:03 AM

Gay men in particular have become completely invisible within the Alphabet-letter movement. I’ve noticed that whenever the media discusses this issue, it’s always accompanied by a photo of a young, college-age woman with a slightly alternative fashion sense. Despite all the so-called progression, people are still shocked to learn that there are also gay men, who are work as bus-drivers or construction workers and who live in blue-collar communities.

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2022 9:14 AM

Surely there are more blue collar lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2022 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!